New Heroes: Fire and Ice!

Vaximillian

Just noticed the Guard effect on Steady Stance 4. Jesus Christ.

Glad I didn't make the move on Hack-o-Lantern for Beruka yet, in case I ever manage to get that skill instead.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Never cared about Smash.

I wasn't saying you should. I however could desperately use it right now given the stale state FEH has fallen into and to give myself something else to do besides crying in my no PS4 or Xbox One and no Spyro Reignited.

Meh, this was a bit of a letdown. Prior to this, I actually thought I was going to pull for Ylgr, but seeing her as a blue dagger made me rethink that. I already have Dancing!Ryouma, and I mostly use him as support. I don't really care for daggers outside my faves so... She has good fodder, but my priorities lie elsewhere. This lets me save for the LG banner.

Also Sutr's skillset is disgusting and it was a terrible idea to give whales access to it.

3 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

Just noticed the Guard effect on Steady Stance 4. Jesus Christ.

Glad I didn't make the move on Hack-o-Lantern for Beruka yet, in case I ever manage to get that skill instead.

THE WHAT EFFECT ON SS4?!

Maybe the GHB and Lengendary Hero will be Bruno and Hrid? Honestly not really happy with this execution of banner, but if others have waited years for their more obscure favs to get in, I can’t really complain and will have to continue to wait patiently until Hrid is finally playable.

"I come from a land of boring boring boring boring ssssnnoooowww"

k

Hey, they're not alts. And am I going crazy or did we just get the addition of a non-alt armor unit in the normal summoning pool? That's only happened three times in the game's entire history. Amelia, Hardin, now Surtr. I don't particularly care for these characters, but the last banner has shown me just how not-sacred the phrase "New Heroes" can be. So be grateful we're getting actual new characters and not Robin in drag or Young Lucina.

I have no words.

Well maybe a few.

Honestly, if Surtr was ever going to be playable - I didn't expect he would be - I expected him to get a different weapon. Also, it feels REALLY late for IS to be making this banner. We're looking to book 3 now. Also, why no Hrid and why a two unit banner? Even if he'll be in something else (again so late) I'd at least expect a unit from a random game to fill the third slot

Edit: Holy heck! Steady Stance 4? What were you thinking IS?

Edited by Arcphoenix

6 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

THE WHAT EFFECT ON SS4?!

SS4 inflicts CD charge -1 on foes, same as Guard but with no HP requirement and only when the unit gets attacked.  I expect they added it so that the T4 stance skills are an actual alternative to Breaths.  Edit:  Assuming inheritance restrictions don't change, it also gives cavalry and fliers something they can use, since Breaths are still locked to Infantry and armors, and are probably still superior in most cases.

Edited by YotsuMaboroshi

So, this is a thing. Two-character banner disappoints me...

But as for the units themselves, Ylgr at least looks somewhat interesting with Sorcery Blade (which I'm betting will be locked to her, or at least to dagger units, which would be a nice little buff for them, but it's probably just Ylgrlocked), even if Sylgr is a bit strange to me (why does she have conditional Swift Sparrow? Why not just go the Seigbert route and just give her Swift Sparrow?). SPD Tactic finally entering the general pool is nice too. I wouldn't mind seeing her, may consider pulling for her, maybe.

Surtr... I kinda look forward to the day he pitybreaks me, solely so I can give a +10 Arden Steady Stance 4 (also @Alkaid thank you for pointing out that Steady Stance 4 has Guard on it, and on a related note, why the actual fuck does Steady Stance 4 have Guard on it), DEF-Refine Safeguard+, Odd DEF Wave 3 and Fortress DEF 3 for the highest possible defense on a unit that I could feasibly possess some day (though by then we could have Steady Stance 3 as a Sacred Seal, so he might get that instead, which would put Arden's DEF at 78 instead of the 77 he'd reach with Fortress DEF). Outside of that, I really don't care for him. Having Peshkatz But It's A Threaten And Also Only Surtr Gets The Buffs is a pretty neat trick tho, especially combined with Sinmara's start-of-turn damage in the same area, ensuring between those effects taht anything that ends its turn near him will burn.

Hrid is gonna be the next Grand Hero Battle, and he will probably be cool. I'm just gonna call this now, since... well, who else could it be, really? Watch as we get late-to-the-Fates-banner Lilith or Bruno or Baby Grima or something

25 minutes ago, ChickenBits said:

Surtr is just..... Does balance exist anymore? I don't care about these characters so I'll be skipping. Kinda of worrisome they're doing two character banners.

Balance still kinda exists. Surtr's SPD will most likely be nonexistent because Wary Fighter (though he's an Armor, so he has Bold/Vengeful Fighter to work around this), and he probably won't have that much RES (with the points that could go to these stats instead going into his DEF, which I'm guessing will be base 41 with a superboon for 45, then Sinmara would push that up to 48, and that becomes 60 with Steady Stance 4 and Surtr's Menace both active, and to a lesser extent his ATK, which won't be quite as high as his DEF but will still be pretty high, and his HP).

18 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

I wonder if Loki was originally intended to be on this banner, but banner placements put her ahead of this one?

That would make sense, this one does feel kinda like it's missing something... though who would have gotten her spot on Brave Redux if she'd stayed on this banner?

Final Unrelated-To-Anything Thought: They should've done Warding Stance 4 instead of Steady Stance 4, and given it to Hrid. It'd be nice to see Warding Stance 3 in the general pool, even if it was on the day its cooler version showed up to outshine it. I still kinda hope he'll have that, but if I'm right about him being the GHB then he probably won't... but until the datamine happens I can still hope!

5 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

No alts is nice. 

However, it doesn't mean much when this banner provides zero new characters (and also the two OCs that most people don't give a shit about, myself certainly included) when even Adrift at least introduced someone new into FEH.

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

"I come from a land of boring boring boring boring ssssnnoooowww"

k

Hey, they're not alts. And am I going crazy or did we just get the addition of a non-alt armor unit in the normal summoning pool? That's only happened three times in the game's entire history. Amelia, Hardin, now Surtr. I don't particularly care for these characters, but the last banner has shown me just how not-sacred the phrase "New Heroes" can be. So be grateful we're getting actual new characters and not Robin in drag or Young Lucina.

I’d honestly be pretty darn grateful and over the moon for Robin in drag.

2 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

How would the Focus rates be highter like that?

I really need to make a video or animation explaining this so I don't have to type out an explanation every time. Sigh.

It's conditional probability caused by the fact that when you open a summoning session, characters are generated first and covered with a matching-color umbrella rather than the other way around.

Here's a simple example to make things easy, but still gets to the meat of the explanation.

Say the only characters in the summoning pool are Hinata, Oboro, Ryoma, and Hinoka, and they appear at their normal current rarities. This means the game has:

• 5-star (3%): Ryoma, Hinoka (1.5% each)
  • 4-star (58%): Hinata, Oboro (29% each)
  • 3-star (36%): Hinata, Oboro (18% each)

You can think of the percentage chance of pulling each character simply as a weight for how likely it is to pull them when you start splitting things by colors. For example, your chance of pulling Hinata will always be 31.33 times (47% divided by 1.5%) higher than your chance of pulling Ryoma.

For Banner 1, we'll have a 2-person banner of Alfonse and Sharena (1.5% each).

If you pull a red umbrella, you know your chances of pulling Sharena, Hinoka, and Oboro are zero, meaning the remaining weights are 1.5 for Alfonse, 1.5 for Ryoma, and 47 for Hinata. When you normalize (divide or multiply so that the sum is 100%) that, you get 3% Alfonse, 3% Ryoma, and 94% Hinata.

If you pull a blue umbrella, the same thing happens with 3% Sharena, 3% Hinoka, and 94% Oboro.

For Banner 2, we'll have a smaller 1-person banner of just Alfonse (3%).

If you pull a red umbrella, the weights for each character are now 3 for Alfonse, 1.5 for Ryoma, and 47 for Hinata. Normalizing this gives you a 5.8% chance of pulling Alfonse when you pull a red umbrella because he makes up a larger proportion of the red pool (his weight is double what it was before, but it doesn't go all the way to 6% chance because the red pool's total is also slightly larger due to the added weight).

This is balanced by the fact that there's a 0% chance to pull a Focus character when pulling blue.

1 minute ago, Tybrosion said:

However, it doesn't mean much when this banner provides zero new characters (and also the two OCs that most people don't give a shit about, myself certainly included) when even Adrift at least introduced someone new into FEH.

How are they not new characters? 

Who needs balance when you have Surtr? A weapon that deals 20 damage to everyone in a two square radius along with a heavy debuff and self-buff so it is all but confirmed that they die, really IS? At least he doesn't automatically have one of the useful fighter skills, not that any of that will matter to the whales who grind to get him. Yglr kinda disappointed me. She has a new skill that is basically an effect most new daggers just naturally had (or maybe I don't use enough dagger units and it isn't common), and nothing else really going for her.

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

How are they not new characters? 

They already exist in the game, unlike Mikoto before Adrift. Sure, as NPCs but they're already in the game. At least as far as I'm concerned, they aren't new based off that.

Just now, Tybrosion said:

They already exist in the game, unlike Mikoto before Adrift. Sure, as NPCs but they're already in the game. At least as far as I'm concerned, they aren't new based off that.

I think it was the right move to add these two right now or else they'd be too irrelevant to add once book 3 starts. Like you said, not many people care for these two and it'll be worse in the future. IS is just trying to milk whatever recency bias these characters might have before they lose all profitability. 

3 minutes ago, ILikeKirbys said:

But as for the units themselves, Ylgr at least looks somewhat interesting with Sorcery Blade (which I'm betting will be locked to her, or at least to dagger units, which would be a nice little buff for them, but it's probably just Ylgrlocked), even if Sylgr is a bit strange to me (why does she have conditional Swift Sparrow? Why not just go the Seigbert route and just give her Swift Sparrow?). SPD Tactic finally entering the general pool is nice too. I wouldn't mind seeing her, may consider pulling for her, maybe.

Sorcery Blade has a 3 as part of the name, so it shouldn't be locked to Ylgr (PRF skills haven't had multiple levels yet), though what the restrictions are beyond that we obviously don't know yet.  As far as Sylgr goes, it also works when she's attacked, so it's a combination of Swift Sparrow and Kestrel Stance with a condition on it.

So, this is such obvious filler it isnt even funny. Literally. As was the Adrift Banner as obvious filler. But it leaves me with a question of why. Not why are they trying to add filler. There is an obvious answer to that, there is something they are going to announce at somepoint. Probably Book 3. But rather, why have all this obvious filler, and give us absolutely nothing to look forward to with it. You only pad this stuff out, make the players wait with relatively weak, filler content when the players know something is coming. But outside of a 2 second scene at the end of a FEH channel that honestly wasnt worth a FEH channel, we have nothing. Its just sitting here getting shitty banner announcements and lackluster content while waiting that hopefully there is something worth waiting for sometime soon.

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

I think it was the right move to add these two right now or else they'd be too irrelevant to add once book 3 starts. Like you said, not many people care for these two and it'll be worse in the future. IS is just trying to milk whatever recency bias these characters might have before they lose all profitability. 

I guess, but there is also far less for them to gain by dangling Ylgr and Surtr out there compared to the Muspell princesses and Helbindi. In other words, I don't think there'd be all too many tears shed if Ylgr and Surtr remained unplayable forever (unlike what'shisface Bruno).

Somehow, I have the feeling that the likelihood of Hrid being a legendary hero has suddenly gone up again. He's a weird exclusion from this banner. At the very least he will likely be playable one day.

My only other comment is this: steady stance 4 -- fuck off.

1 minute ago, Tolvir said:

So, this is such obvious filler it isnt even funny. Literally. As was the Adrift Banner as obvious filler. But it leaves me with a question of why. Not why are they trying to add filler. There is an obvious answer to that, there is something they are going to announce at somepoint. Probably Book 3. But rather, why have all this obvious filler, and give us absolutely nothing to look forward to with it. You only pad this stuff out, make the players wait with relatively weak, filler content when the players know something is coming. But outside of a 2 second scene at the end of a FEH channel that honestly wasnt worth a FEH channel, we have nothing. Its just sitting here getting shitty banner announcements and lackluster content while waiting that hopefully there is something worth waiting for sometime soon.

Well this is kind of easy to answer...They are doing average filler stuff so that people know what TRUE average power is...Then they launch 3.0 to everyone starved for ANYTHING, and they will have massive profit.

These characters with powercreep...or interesting stuff are put in these average banners to trigger the whale crowd here and there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯