New Heroes: Fire and Ice!

Vaximillian

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Nothing against OC characters, but it's a strange way to distribute them. Those five OCs are nice, but they don't fill this long gap to book III. It just feels stretchy. 

Won't pull from this banner, even if SPD tactic is tempting. 

What about Zeglius? (I know his lazy art should make him count 100% alt.)

Also M!Grima could count as a new character, even if he is called "Robin". 

Apart from that, yeah Surtr is one of the few really "new" additions to the permanent armor pool. 

Yeah, Death Blow 4 didn't have an additional effect. I wonder what it means for other less popular skills and their 4th level. 

For me it's strange to have a combined A/B skill on A. 

That's really surprising. What secondary effect will be on level 4 Darting/Fierce/Warding stance? What about the mixed Stance skills? 

Am i werid for being "OK" with it because Steady Stance was kinda underpowered for being in this spot where its not breath and not good enough to beat cheaper alternatives?

Am i also weird for thinking "Steady Stance seal 4 when"

5 hours ago, Nanima said:

It's definitely not more accurate, but heavily tilted actually. The common expectation in this fandom is that Intsys is more willing to listen to their Japanese fanbase, it's likely just a bunch of western fans jumping on the video in the hopes of making their disdain more apparent. From what I've heard of the Japanese fanbase, while they certainly aren't always happy with banners they are nowhere near as vocal about it as the western fanbase is.

That's definitely not true. I mean, I'm pretty sure there are Westerners disliking the Japanese version, too. But, from my experience with Gacha and seeing the Japanese audience, they tend to be a lot more unforgiving and vocal. This isn't just Fire Emblem: Heroes, but the same occurs with Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius, Star Ocean: Anamesis and so on. I'm pretty sure due to how prevalent mobile gaming is, they're more critical when it comes to this. They were having dislike majorities long before the Western audience was.

Even the Niconico ratings for the last FEH channel -- which the Western audience liked, the Japanese audience had a strong negative majority. 

Does that mean we should take them or the Western dislikes seriously? Nope. Bottom line is always going to be how much money they make. As long as people keeping spending, IS will continue to do whatever they want. Although, I'm sure that if they're aware, IS wouldn't like the fact that the banners went from overwhelmingly positive reception to slowly equalizing likes/dislikes and now having a majority dislike ratio. The games shift from overwhelming positivity... to its current degradation. It'll be interesting to see how they'll react going forward. At the very least, January and March will have a positive like ratio unless they somehow balls those banners up. IMO, that's really unlikely though. 

Not sure why people are acting so negativ on this banner. Granted i would have liked 3. OC in the banner too. But this is miles better then last banner with almost only alts. Its freaking OCs!!!

And some of the new skills look very exciting. Though i think Ylgrs a slot is a bit too restrictiv. Should have benn 2 spaces and not adjacent, because it really hurts the skill too much (mind you dragons get that skill for free... which is imho just wrong)

26 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Not sure why people are acting so negativ on this banner. Granted i would have liked 3. OC in the banner too. But this is miles better then last banner with almost only alts. Its freaking OCs!!!

And some of the new skills look very exciting. Though i think Ylgrs a slot is a bit too restrictiv. Should have benn 2 spaces and not adjacent, because it really hurts the skill too much (mind you dragons get that skill for free... which is imho just wrong)

I would rather have alts, especially non-joke alts like the last banner, than OC's any day of the week.

And 2 banner characters is an actual joke.

13 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I would rather have alts, especially non-joke alts like the last banner, than OC's any day of the week.

And 2 banner characters is an actual joke.

no whats a joke is, that it needed 1.5 years for OCs to apear in banners (and we are still missing the ones from the start!). CYL showed IS that people want OCs playable considering how high Veronica and Loki placed

Edited by Hilda

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

Wait... why did these two get a paralogue but not the Generals of Muspell?

My bet is a that all of the Book 2 OCs were intended to be released around the same time, but something happened that cause Book 3's release to be delayed, so IS had to cut the characters into several banners to pad out content until the release.

26 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I don't any problem by having OC's in banners. I prefer to have a OC's than another Robin/Lyn/Camilla/Chrom/Lucina... For alts, I don't have problems with seasonals... But alts in the normal summoning pool isn't something I like. Why do we need a Cavalry Mage Eirika, a Cavalry Chrom and a Flying Mage Nino?
 My problems with this banner is this is a 2 units banner, which is weird, and one of then is disgusting. If Surtr had a DC weapon, he would be broken!

This banner makes me kinda sad. Two characters definitely had me going 'ARE YOU KIDDING?!". As I think another brought up, if there were two two person banners I wouldn't feel so out, but bleh. Part of the problem is that I don't care for either one on the banner other than as skill fodder.

Steady Stance 4 is kinda wtf, not because it adds guard, but because it also adds even more defense on top of adding guard. If I were doing I would probably have left it +6 and just add guard. Guard not tied to HP is just very powerful and hardly needs additional defense to warrant it as an upgrade. I do agree that Breath is more powerful, so it makes sense for it to have some extra defense on top of Breath. But Breaths are only +4.

2 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Am i werid for being "OK" with it because Steady Stance was kinda underpowered for being in this spot where its not breath and not good enough to beat cheaper alternatives?

I think the issue is more it and the Halloween weapons are powercreeping poor Guard hard.

Guard 4 with -2 special cooldown charge to enemy with a less tiny HP threshold where.  Kill the fighter skill meta!  Kill it!

Anyway, man, IS is really having trouble keeping my interest.  I don't know if I'll even make it to March.  Powercreep, we haven't had a demotion for like 5 banners, characters I'm uninterested in, lack of engaging content.  Why do I even still play this game?  I don't know.  It was fun early out but it's been getting worse and worse lately, and Surtr's kit is showing off one of the issues that's making it worse and worse quite splendidly.

10 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I think the issue is more it and the Halloween weapons are powercreeping poor Guard hard.

Guard 4 with -2 special cooldown charge to enemy with a less tiny HP threshold where.  Kill the fighter skill meta!  Kill it!

Anyway, man, IS is really having trouble keeping my interest.  I don't know if I'll even make it to March.  Powercreep, we haven't had a demotion for like 5 banners, characters I'm uninterested in, lack of engaging content.  Why do I even still play this game?  I don't know.  It was fun early out but it's been getting worse and worse lately, and Surtr's kit is showing off one of the issues that's making it worse and worse quite splendidly.

tbf weapon slot atm is literally "IS IT KILLER?" If it isn't killer you get a get the fuck out notice

Guard Weapon ddin't compete against Guard, it competes against that broken Slayer weapon monstrosity that currently plagues the game. Guard competes against QR

35 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I don't any problem by having OC's in banners. I prefer to have a OC's than another Robin/Lyn/Camilla/Chrom/Lucina... For alts, I don't have problems with seasonals... But alts in the normal summoning pool isn't something I like. Why do we need a Cavalry Mage Eirika, a Cavalry Chrom and a Flying Mage Nino?
 My problems with this banner is this is a 2 units banner, which is weird, and one of then is disgusting. If Surtr had a DC weapon, he would be broken!

:( because flying mage Nino is 100 percent awesome :( 

(in re: to Chrom i'd imagine it's because a Paladin is one of his default go tos in Awakening). 

But the mixed Stance skills and the Breath skills were already the upgraded Stances. It didn't need another 5* exclusive upgrade. 

Nobody would wait anymore for the Guard seal at least. 

3 hours ago, The Priest said:

I know it's petty to complain afterwards but if you take Loki out of Brave Redux we would have gotten either Haar (the next non-beast character) or regular Charlotte (with the RD announcement and gender presentation in mind) instead.

I actually I think there is a good reason for Brave Redux to need to use Loki instead of other character... Charlotte (the next Top Female not-beast not-already in the game) it was a Top 30 Character, and was outside of the CYL main results... In fact, Loki was the only female character they would justify using based on the Main Results (the only Female non-playable non-beast in the Top 20 Female), with Aversa being pretty much pulled here because they really need a second female (and of course it's quite obvious her lower position in the poll compared with the rest, being the reason why she is the freebie, she is also the only of the 4 characters to doesn't appear in the main results).  Charlotte would feel like a random choice for the people that doesn't know the main results outside of the Top 40.

CYL1 hadn't this problem dealing with Micaiah's January Arrival because there were a lot more popular female available (Lute and Mia also appeared in the Top 20 Females, in fact, their position in the Overall Top was above Joshua, the second male).

I hope the fact IS needed to deal with this weird problem of not having good enough choices for CYL means the next months can have a healthy release of beasts units, to make up for the small update with the Fire and Ice Banner.

Edited by Troykv

9 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Well as I finally sat down and watched this trailer, I saw Fire and Ice.  Thought cool title!  Then I saw Ylgr!  Awesome!  Then Surtr!?  Wow!  Then I waited for the next character....maybe Hrid or original Veronica or Bruno, but instead it just said new paralogue!  

Anyways I have been outspoken in my support of original characters, as I view them as the focus of this game.  Sorcery blade, I wonder what inheritance restrictions are on it.  Seems like it would be insane on any units with DC weapons.  Then she also has Speed tactic and chill speed...I mean this is grade A fodder.  Then you look at Surtr....my god what a C skill, and that A skill is one of the ultimate enemy phase skills love the guard effect on top of more defense.  Plus his weapon that 20 damage effect is pretty impressive.  Wait for official stats but these units as far as skills and power potential seem very much worth having.  

I am trying to abstain from summoning on normal banners, but I will probably pull all blues and greens I see on that first circle where we get the free summon.  Hard to pass up on discounted rate to pull one of these two.  Watch it be all reds and colorless :(

I really appreciate your positivity here! We need that in this community (Not a bash to anyone in particular)

Anyway, this banner is pretty cool. I don't see why everyone is steaming angry about a 2 person banner, it looks great to me. Surtr looks busted as shit and Ylgr looks adorable as always. Since it won't seem I will get shit from the adrift banner I guess i'll try for one of these.

11 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Where people see incompetence or conspiracy, all I see is science.

He has elaborated this concept a couple pages back (backread you lousy motherfodder), and the fact that people are so worked up over getting just two characters waaaaah is amusing, at best. Seems like we've found rivals for Napa Valley in terms of wine production.

I absolutely won't mind getting pitybroken by a Hector/B!Ephraim/B!Ike/Helbindi myself.

Edited by Karimlan

5 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Can we push the "Go Back" button and think about "Guard 3 seal, when" first?

4 hours ago, Hilda said:

I'm pretty sure it's the lingering disappointment from the Fates banner. People were expecting something more fleshed out than 2 Heroes OCs that can be summed up as:
Sutr: cartoonishly evil
Ylgr: only appears for a minute in the plot (because Loki)
The theme is also bizarre to think about. The Muspell banner wasn't that long ago, so why not just make a Nifl banner? imo it would have made more sense to have Hrid and Ylgr here as the 2-man banner while Sutr comes from somewhere else or let this banner have regular size.
If Hrid is revealed as this month's Legendary there will be another outcry, I think (just because of this banner).

3 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Likewise. FEH's issue of powercreep has gotten much worse when it first began and now it's plainly visible.
Just spent more time on farming for Diarmuid to forget FEH gradually.

@Troykv Oh, I'm just basing this on the much parroted "IS planned this in advance months ago" slogan that's going around.
Also I tallied the votes again and based on overall votes Anna got 9749 which places her at 19. So IS could have released Brave Anna. FFS.

Edited by The Priest

10 minutes ago, The Priest said:

@Troykv Oh, I'm just basing this on the much parroted "IS planned this in advance months ago" slogan that's going around.
Also I tallied the votes again and based on overall votes either Anna or Jill would have placed over Charlotte. FFS.

I personally think IS had a problem of having to deal with conflictive expectactions; Loki is the only female character that they would justify to appear in Brave Redux (that also would be an additional reason for why Aversa is the GHB instead of the Kliff).  It messed up with schedule of the Heroes in a way they wouldn't fix unless they ended up shoerhorning people in the banner... and they already have plans for the other units in the line that they can't simply put earlier (Beast Units)... so instead they decided to do a little experiment with the 2 Banner Fire and Ice (Ylgr and Surtr).

That is my theory.

And you know; Jill and Anna need a change of the way things works; if that was the case Marth would have won the last CYL.

Edited by Troykv

Though I'm disappointed that Ylgr isn't a staff armor and not legendary, I'm glad she's getting into the game! Her A skill looks interesting. I knew since last year that I needed Gunnthra (and still haven't been able to pull her) but now I really need Gunnthra. Ylgr sticking by her sister's side would be absolutely menacing. And Surtr is just stupid broken. Obviously, I want him. I think I may wind up putting a team together sometime of Surtr, Dark Takumi, Garon, and some Pain staffer at some point. It would require me building my Dark Takumi better, building said Pain staffer, and actually obtaining Surtr, though. We'll see what winds up happening, and if I switch out Pain staffer for some blue unit who also does niche "x damage at the start of turn y" or whatever.

13 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

To be fair, that banner would've been 2 greens and 2 reds which is pretty bad distribution. Whoever's in charge of making the decisions on the banners is just bad at figuring out the reception of the fanbase and you'd think it'd be apparent after seeing the dislike ratio of their new banner videos. A better distribution would've been Laevatein/Laegjarn + Loki/Yglr + Helbindi on that first Muspel banner and then the ones omitted from that banner + Surtr, would've made for better distribution and both banners would be 3 characters. As for the banner in which Loki came in? Why the fuck was Loki in there anyway lol

It's always interesting to see that the ratio is so much more worse on the Japanese videos than the English. I tend to see the Japanese ratio as more accurate each time and wonder how the English one seems more "forgiving" by comparison. Maybe I'm just hateful lol.

Oh, the ratio is even worse on the Japanese one? That's interesting. It seems like Book II is going to close with a whimper rather than a bang; I hope they get back on track with Book III!

As for Loki, she was on the other banner because she scored highly in the CYL polls. That said, they could've just included someone else on the other banner and put her here. This just seems like poor planning. These banners are planned out months in advance, but this one was completely phoned in. It's not like they had to commission anyone to do the art, since these OCs were already in the game.

I am not that interested in these units, which is fine, as I am not going to spend orbs before the legendary banner anyway. But I still feel bad for all the people that get disappointed again and again.

15 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

A two-character banner sounds pretty damned great. That means it'll have really high Focus rates for sniping, which is a definite plus for me.

I was actually surprised no one metioned that before page 2, because it is the thing that excites me the most here. Only two focus units is going to save so many orbs, if you're after more merges.

But doing two focus units on new heroes banners is probably not a good idea, because many people are disappointed. Also less people will pull, because they aren't interested in any of the units, while the ones that do will get them faster and spend less. So seems like a lose lose for IS.

Getting two unit banners for the rerun side banners would be amazing ("Healer with Prf weapons" banner please.) But I will most likely set myself up for disappointment hoping for this.

14 hours ago, colossus86 said:

Maybe we could actually get a 2 man BHB banner without that 3rd wheel they always tak on. Could be really hype if it's for the right unit(s)

That is also a really great idea, especially if the third unit is from the 4* pool anyway, so there isn't a lot of interest in it, but it lowers the chance to get the others.

So I am happy for everyone who likes that banner and wish you the best of luck for your summoning, may you all get what you desire.