Gregster101

On the topic of a Tellius prequel

So, this topic came to mind from another post, but it got me curious. If there was ever a prequel to Path of Radiance, between Greil and Zelgius, who would you guys want as the central character. I'm a bit more partial to Zelgius if only to see his rise into a villain. Of course, it doesn't necessarily have to be either Greil or Zelgius. What about you guys? Who would you want as the central character of a Tellius prequel?

12 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

So, this topic came to mind from another post, but it got me curious. If there was ever a prequel to Path of Radiance, between Greil and Zelgius, who would you guys want as the central character. I'm a bit more partial to Zelgius if only to see his rise into a villain. Of course, it doesn't necessarily have to be either Greil or Zelgius. What about you guys? Who would you want as the central character of a Tellius prequel?

For sure Greil. We can see the events that lead up to Elena being killed and Ike and Mist witnessing it. Plus Greil is an amazing Character

I'm not sure how interesting a Greil centered prequel would be since so many things are already set in stone. I guess it would be interesting to see a more small scale story like Blazing Sword again. 

I'd prefer another setting for a prequel. The Tellius history books tells us about a pretty interesting scenario where Begnion feels its declining after it loses control of Crimea and Daein, and they respond to this by trying to reconquer the newbie nations of Kilvas and Daein which eventually drags the whole continent into a world war. 

9 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm not sure how interesting a Greil centered prequel would be since so many things are already set in stone. I guess it would be interesting to see a more small scale story like Blazing Sword again. 

I'd prefer another setting for a prequel. The Tellius history books tells us about a pretty interesting scenario where Begnion feels its declining after it loses control of Crimea and Daein, and they respond to this by trying to reconquer the newbie nations of Kilvas and Daein which eventually drags the whole continent into a world war. 

I suppose, but I still think it would be neat to actually see some of these events transpire

prequel, sequel--any return to Tellius I'm fine with.

Still baffled that we never got a sequel starring Priam. Thought for sure that Awakening cameo was teasing a new game there. 

I don't know... Tellius lore states that if there's more than one war within a hundred years of another, then punishment will be given. It would have to be a story that takes place at least 100 years before Tellius or has to be small in scale, similar to Blazing Sword.

But the thing with Greil and Zelgius, although there's plenty of backstory to their characters to explore, I'm not sure how we can stretch over the course of a game? 

2 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Still baffled that we never got a sequel starring Priam. Thought for sure that Awakening cameo was teasing a new game there. 

This.

Priam would be a neat option, but I'd also like to see young Greil and Elena.

5 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

I don't know... Tellius lore states that if there's more than one war within a hundred years of another, then punishment will be given. It would have to be a story that takes place at least 100 years before Tellius or has to be small in scale, similar to Blazing Sword.

But the thing with Greil and Zelgius, although there's plenty of backstory to their characters to explore, I'm not sure how we can stretch over the course of a game? 

i could almost see it being like DLC content tbh. About the same length as part 3 of radiant dawn. for zelgius it could go into the story of how sephriann took him in etc or as warrior alongside Greil or it could be greil and the events that led up Elena. Could see all the four riders together and shit. Lanvega, Bryce Gawain, and Taurneo. 

1 hour ago, Dandy Druid said:

We know plenty of wars already had happened before the main game. There was the Begnion civil war between Laguz and Beorc and Lethe said that the Laguz nations all had to fight a war to be recognized as independent nations. Tanith says Begnion and Daein had been fighting for some time and Tibarn's been attacking Begnion quite a lot. Then there's the Tellius history book which mentions wars between Crimea and Daien, as well as an actual world war on the scale of RD. 

3 hours ago, Zihark11 said:

i could almost see it being like DLC content tbh. About the same length as part 3 of radiant dawn. for zelgius it could go into the story of how sephriann took him in etc or as warrior alongside Greil or it could be greil and the events that led up Elena. Could see all the four riders together and shit. Lanvega, Bryce Gawain, and Taurneo. 

Yeah that's how I see it too. Like a short story. Similar to the DLC stories from Muramasa Rebirth

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

We know plenty of wars already had happened before the main game. There was the Begnion civil war between Laguz and Beorc and Lethe said that the Laguz nations all had to fight a war to be recognized as independent nations. Tanith says Begnion and Daein had been fighting for some time and Tibarn's been attacking Begnion quite a lot. Then there's the Tellius history book which mentions wars between Crimea and Daien, as well as an actual world war on the scale of RD. 

Oh yeah. I just pointed out that there has to be a 100 year difference for something huge in scale like RD (because of Ashera's Law). It can work if it's similar to Blazing Sword in scale, which is what the Laguz Civil War or Tibarn raiding Begnion can be.

If anything, I can see it as like a small scale story that showcases Zelgius' time as a soldier under the command of Greil when he was still in Daein, ending with Elena's death at the hands of Greil while under influence from the Medallion and Zelgius donning the Black Knight armor for the first time and also giving a big NOOOOOOOOOOO like Darth Vader in Revenge of the Sith :P It could also probably go more into Ashnard as well, since he really doesn't have much presence in the Tellius games themselves

On 11/20/2018 at 6:03 PM, Shoblongoo said:

I think that was a thought at some point, but then priam bombed so hard in popularity polls that they decided against it, I certainly would like to see priam get his own game personally, I do question the actual merits of a tellius sequel though.

Personally I'd love to go way back in a Tellius prequel and see the originals. A game involving Lehran, Altina, Dheginsea, and Soan and their war back then that would eventually lead to the events of PoR and RD.

Seriously though, imagine how awesome it would be to have a game where the protagonist DUAL WIELDS Ragnell and Alondite!

I want a badass female Lord darn it.

As for your idea, it might be cool to do the whole deuteragonist thing and have the story where you follow both of them. If we had to focus on one over the other I'd rather focus on Zelgius though.

16 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Personally I'd love to go way back in a Tellius prequel and see the originals. A game involving Lehran, Altina, Dheginsea, and Soan and their war back then that would eventually lead to the events of PoR and RD.

Seriously though, imagine how awesome it would be to have a game where the protagonist DUAL WIELDS Ragnell and Alondite!

I want a badass female Lord darn it.

As for your idea, it might be cool to do the whole deuteragonist thing and have the story where you follow both of them. If we had to focus on one over the other I'd rather focus on Zelgius though.

I wouldn’t mind a prequel with Altina and the rest of the Goddess’s champions

I’m more interested in a Zelgius focused prequel than a Greil focused prequel cuz we’ve never had a FE game from the perspective of a villain before (and no I don’t count Conquest)

On 11/20/2018 at 4:27 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Ah yes, the Tellius Continental War.

Unofficially begins in 425 with Begnion's invasions of Daein and Kilvas. In 428, Kilvas refuses Phoenician support, and surrenders to Begnion. Daein is forced back to Nevassa, but stays clinging to life.

432 is the official beginning of the war, when Crimea joins Daein's side, thus expanding the conflict. Although undefined when, Gallia, Kilvas, and Phoenicis all participate in this war as well, only Goldoa remains neutral (which in a way suggests that perhaps Kurthnaga really was to blame for the Medallion break).

The war's end is the Treaty of Sarasa in Goldoa, made in 478. That is 46 years of continued continental warfare! Plenty of time for a glorious prequel to take place in.

It's longer when you go back to the Daein-Kilvas invasions, 53 years for them and Begnion.

And for Daein alone, it has it somehow even more years of warfare. Since 425 was the same year the Daein-Crimean War ended, it lasted from 410-425. So for Daein, it was in one war or another for 68 years! Founded in 405, the first seven decades of the kingdom's existence had only five years of total peace. No wonder the country doesn't seem like the happiest of places in PoR, besides the miserable geography and clime, the cultural impact of so much war in its founding period and well beyond had to be enormous. From what I recall, it took parts of Germany about thirty years to recover from the scars of the Thirty Years' War, Daein must have been so chewed up in some places it required the same kind of long reconstruction. 

The question here then becomes what period of this conflict would make for a good prequel. The beginning seems the dullest to me, the end is a little better, but honestly I'd prefer something in between, during the height of the warring across the continent. Obviously Daein had to be a major battlefield, but perhaps it'd be more conducive to Laguz gameplay inclusion if it took place in the center of the continent. That would be the way to cutting down Crimea. Or dual narratives could allow one to have both a "Daein Front" and a "Central Front".

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ah yes, the Tellius Continental War.

Unofficially begins in 425 with Begnion's invasions of Daein and Kilvas. In 428, Kilvas refuses Phoenician support, and surrenders to Begnion. Daein is forced back to Nevassa, but stays clinging to life.

432 is the official beginning of the war, when Crimea joins Daein's side, thus expanding the conflict. Although undefined when, Gallia, Kilvas, and Phoenicis all participate in this war as well, only Goldoa remains neutral (which in a way suggests that perhaps Kurthnaga really was to blame for the Medallion break).

The war's end is the Treaty of Sarasa in Goldoa, made in 478. That is 46 years of continued continental warfare! Plenty of time for a glorious prequel to take place in.

It's longer when you go back to the Daein-Kilvas invasions, 53 years for them and Begnion.

And for Daein alone, it has it somehow even more years of warfare. Since 425 was the same year the Daein-Crimean War ended, it lasted from 410-425. So for Daein, it was in one war or another for 68 years! Founded in 405, the first seven decades of the kingdom's existence had only five years of total peace. No wonder the country doesn't seem like the happiest of places in PoR, besides the miserable geography and clime, the cultural impact of so much war in its founding period and well beyond had to be enormous. From what I recall, it took parts of Germany about thirty years to recover from the scars of the Thirty Years' War, Daein must have been so chewed up in some places it required the same kind of long reconstruction. 

The question here then becomes what period of this conflict would make for a good prequel. The beginning seems the dullest to me, the end is a little better, but honestly I'd prefer something in between, during the height of the warring across the continent. Obviously Daein had to be a major battlefield, but perhaps it'd be more conducive to Laguz gameplay inclusion if it took place in the center of the continent. That would be the way to cutting down Crimea. Or dual narratives could allow one to have both a "Daein Front" and a "Central Front".

The extremely long timescale actually would lend itself for having second gen units. No timetravel, no deeprealm nonsense but just the old generation dying from old age and making place for a new generation that has seen the war rage for their entire lives. Heck, with 68 years there could even be three generations. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

On 11/20/2018 at 4:13 PM, Zihark11 said:

For sure Greil. We can see the events that lead up to Elena being killed and Ike and Mist witnessing it. Plus Greil is an amazing Character

Agreed.  I like Zelgius but Greil as the main character makes the most sense to me.  I'm kinda biased but to me seeing things from his perspective would help tell the story better.

Zelgius is definitely by far more likable imo and I'd like to see more from him. But as others said, his placement as the main hero makes the most sense. There's a lot that could be done though. I also wouldn't mind going way further back to Ashera's three heroes.

On 11/20/2018 at 4:27 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Tellius Continental War would be an awesome story to explore.

There are many options, all pretty great. Either the Tellius Continental War, Zelgius' past, or even just going all the way back to Ashera's Three Heroes could work. 

I wouldn't particularly want either to be the subject of a prequel, but I suppose I'd dislike a Zelgius game more

Edited by L'arachel