The Grand Hero Battle's Table: Gharnef

SatsumaFSoysoy

The artworks looks really good but I'm really not a fan of his addition. I got a pretty strong antipathy for this character and think he might be a limiting factor for the roster

Sure he's the original Gharnef but he never managed to be anything more than the standard template with no traits of his own. Gharnef has more appearances than any other Fire Emblem villain and yet he's never been interesting. If he wasn't interesting any of those times he's not going to be interesting now. Any other Gharnef would be better but I feel that Gharnef will hog the deranged evil mage slot which means his better peers like Nergal won't make it into the game.

The only silver lining is that he might be companion piece for a legendary Archanean Hero and Paladin Hardin would be a logical choice for that. And we can always use more Hardin.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

I don't see how Gharnef endangers Nergal's possibility in the slightest.

Other "Gharnefs" aren't so much better. Pretty sure more people wanted the original than characters like Velt or Manfroy.

The Gharnef archtype has some failures under its belt like Velt but most have defining characteristics. For Manfroy is his success and I personally think the villain who managed to dupe Arvis is pretty worthy.  Manfroy has his success, Jedah has his stint as coming across as surprisingly reasonable before he starts cackling, Nergal has his personal relation with the Lords and even failures Validar and Iago have defining traits as complete losers.

What makes me think that Gharnef would hinder his peers is that strictly speaking only one insane mage is required. Would adding Nergal when Gharnef is already present be a smart move? It wouldn't improve the roster variety very much. If Gharnef is already there then passing over than equally senile and insane dark mage for Sonia who's the nemesis of a fan favorite and has boobs seems like the smarter choice.

YA CANNAE WIN AGAINST GHARNEF.

Oh man, I am pretty hype actually. I mean, maybe not enough to promote, but still. We finally get to see Gharnef himself in game. And he looks to be a pretty powerful unit as well. Can't wait to try and fail.

I wish I had Lena with Starlight for this.

Also to note Hrid has dialogue strings in the datamine. I think we know what's next.

Was sorta hoping for Bruno but not unhappy to get someone new and non-alt, at least. Never cared much for him, but he's an iconic villain :)

Now if only the banner had been NMotE or SD to match. I'd've been so much happier >.<

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

What makes me think that Gharnef would hinder his peers is that strictly speaking only one insane mage is required. Would adding Nergal when Gharnef is already present be a smart move? It wouldn't improve the roster variety very much. If Gharnef is already there then passing over than equally senile and insane dark mage for Sonia who's the nemesis of a fan favorite and has boobs seems like the smarter choice.

Oh, so the fact we have an old insane dark mage now, will stop us from getting other old dark mages? Because they are too similar?

Then how come we got Arvis, and then his two kids, who are kind of similar to him. Eldigan didn't stop us from getting the almost identical Ares. Lene and Silvia are the basically the same thing.

And we got Tailtiu and later her niece. And I bet her daughter will come soon.

And I'm not even counting that this is the same game that keeps giving us the same characters again and again, so I don't think they are worried about characters being similar to others.

If they want to give us as a specific character, they will, even if there are similar characters already. 

If anything, you may have to wait a little more for Nergal because they won't do two GHBs in a row that are the same movement and weapon type, but a FE7 banner isn't coming for a while anyway, so you are really overthinking this.

The two games that we know are coming are RD and BB.

BB will have Idunn. There's no doubt.

RD doesn't have notable RED mages who would fit as GHB (rip Izuka). In fact I think they will avoid mages because the only Tellius GHB we have is already a mage so... Jarod Hype?! JAROD HYPE! (Watch it be Ludveck instead just to piss me off) 

Edited by GrandeRampel

7 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

Guys, they are giving us Gharnef now because they are saving Medeus for the next Archanea GHB. It's so obvious.

Watch it be Eremiya instead.

But wait, I think I figured something out. I know what the Forging Bonds will be about. It will feature Gharnef, Surtr, Julius and Garon, and they will argue over who is more ridiculously evil.

Julius: "It's obviously me. I killed dozens of children because I felt like it. I was in the mood to have children sacrificed in my name."

Garon: "Bitch, I went against my own kids, not just random children. MY CHILDREN! Look how I say YOU ARE MY CHILD NOW! It sounds so evil."

Julius: "Well I planned to kill my own family too. Except my queen."

Surtr: "Well I actually succeded in killing my daughter. Plus a huge number of both my enemies and subjects. And I almost ended the world. I'm way better than both of you."

Gharnef: "Gentlemen, it's pointless to fight over such petty things. And I'm the most evil anyway. I INVENTED EVIL."

So, in reading this, apparently in my head Garon has a southern gentleman accent and Surtr is basically your buddy's super laid back dad.

Also, to your other post, I could see Levail being a GHB too. And of course the big one would be Sephiran as a blue tome infantry, but as you said, he'd be identical to Oliver in weapon and movement type, though it would be a full year since Oliver and the two would almost certainly ply quite differently so I could see them going with him anyway. Still, Levail would be sweet so maybe Sephiran as a banner unit and Levail as GHB?

6 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Yeah but

Doubled by W E N D E L L is canon

Well, we all know what that means, Wendell just needs to be in the game with 39 speed and starlight.

Anyway, people actually think of Marth as that chipper?

I think I'll use Katarina against Gharnef. Or Clarisse even. Gharnef was a source of their torment, having been the one to brainwash Eremiya, manipulated the Soothsires to murder Clarisse's parents, and then raised Clarisse and Katarina to become their puppets. 

I don't see a need to fuss over unit type. He's a worthwhile addition, and it's the right unit type for him, so whatever.

Lots of infantry types are getting common. Personally, my 5* infantry mage counts right now are 11 red, 10 blue, and 12 green.

9 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

He was probably cast into the same void that Bruno was. At least, I really hope that's the case instead of the alternative (him being a legendary).

They're saving both of them for something, I'm sure. But I can't tell what or when.

Hrid seems more likely to get added soon, like the other Book 2 characters. Bruno might take longer, which could lead to him winning CYL like Veronica. That'd be funny.

1 hour ago, GrandeRampel said:

Oh, so the fact we have an old insane dark mage now, will stop us from getting other old dark mages? Because they are too similar?

Then how come we got Arvis, and then his two kids, who are kind of similar to him. Eldigan didn't stop us from getting the almost identical Ares. Lene and Silvia are the basically the same thing.

And we got Tailtiu and later her niece. And I bet her daughter will come soon.

And I'm not even counting that this is the same game that keeps giving us the same characters again and again, so I don't think they are worried about characters being similar to others.

But most of those characters you listed aren't similar at all. Their looks are similar enough to convey that they are family but their personalities are all different. Arvis is a conceited genius while his son is a lazy brat, Tailtiu is nice and cheerful while Ishtar is troubled and demure, Eldigan is a paragon knight while Ares starts out as a violent mercenary wanting revenge. These family members compliment each other so well precisely because they are different. 

But the Gharnef archtype is much more formulaic. They all don't just look like Gharnef but they all act and speak like Gharnef. They can all be represented by a single addition because they really are that similar. 

And IS does seem to limit how many members of an archtype they include. How many Ogma's, Draugs, classic Jagen's, Christmas cavalries and Merics do we have? Quite a few but just as many are absent and a likely reason is because they are kind of redundant at this point. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Really glad to see Gharnef as his absence thus far I felt was bizzare (Medeus when IS) I don't really get the complaints about typing since every character's base form should be cannon friendly and almost every roll that does canonically exist is pretty saturated at this point. I'd like for Malice and Jill to be in the game but I won't pretend for a second the game needs anymore sword infantry or lance/axe flyers. Every unit at this point is going to feel a bit redundant, but that's going to be the nature of things from here on out since we have so many units.

10 hours ago, NobodiePichu said:

surprisingly handsome gharnef wesker. like, its mostly comparatively but its still disturbingly noticeable how much more fuckable he is.

*retches in mouth a bit again*

Saw the picture. I’m quite surprised they’ve chose to an art closer to his earlier appearances instead of his remake’s appearance like FE Warriors. He’s surprisingly attractive indeed, and happy that The Wesker reprised the role 

For all of Gharnef's problems, I have to say his presentation in Heroes is excellent. The artwork is stellar and D.C. Douglas is such a perfect actor for him, you can tell he's having fun with the role and that makes him all the more enjoyable. His stat spread is a little disappointing, but overall they did a good job with his transition between games.

Now I'm just waiting for Medeus, after seeing Gharnef I'm hoping they do just as good a job with him. 

Edited by Medeus

16 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The only silver lining is that he might be companion piece for a legendary Archanean Hero and Paladin Hardin would be a logical choice for that. And we can always use more Hardin.

17 minutes ago, Medeus said:

Now I'm just waiting for Medeus, after seeing Gharnef I'm hoping they do just as good a job with him. 

Mixing these 2 ideas is what I thought of: what if (assuming Hrid isn't the next legend, and is instead the free unit for Book3) this month's legendary banner is associated with Mystery and Gharnef? This immediately made me think: if Grima can be a legendary hero, why not Medeus?