Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kasumi Yoshizawa

Is there a reason, why games for Nintendo Switch are more expensive than for other consoles?

Recommended Posts

I bought a Switch today because I'm excited for new the Fire Emblem game and playing Tales of Vesperia outside.

... Then I noticed to my horror that most games are super expensive, cost more than 50 € (Smash will cost 70 €).

Is there a reason for that?
Is it because it's "Nintendo"?
I mean PS4 games cost 10-20 € less in average, so I don't quite get it.

This also gives me the question, if it's recommended to wait some time till a possible price drop (if it will ever happen)?

Edited by Necrofantasia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Switch uses cartridges which cost more to make then discs do.  That is why the games cost more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, 69.99 is a cost for new games on the PS4 and XB1 that's surprisingly common. Nintendo games being slower to price drop on the other hand is all on them. Cartridges do explain some of it but the slow drop on some games is infuriating personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well yes, I have seen a few PS4 games for 69,99on Amazons, but most of these seem to be special editions.

Also with the price difference I was referring to one on the same game released for multiple consoles. 
Tales of Vesperia will cost 39,99 for PS4 and XBOXone, but 49,99 for Switch.

That's what bothered me, but I know now the reason, if it doesn't really justify anything imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Necrofantasia said:

I bought a Switch today because I'm excited for new the Fire Emblem game and playing Tales of Vesperia outside.

... Then I noticed to my horror that most games are super expensive, cost more than 50 € (Smash will cost 70 €).

Is there a reason for that?
Is it because it's "Nintendo"?
I mean PS4 games cost 10-20 € less in average, so I don't quite get it.

This also gives me the question, if it's recommended to wait some time till a possible price drop (if it will ever happen)?

Really? I went into my local GAME recently and the Switch games were cheaper than the XBOX and PS4 games...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be a regional thing (since your using Euros). In America, Switch, Xbone and PS4 games tend to cost the usual $59.99. Of course, Nintendo games are really slow on price drops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Really? I went into my local GAME recently and the Switch games were cheaper than the XBOX and PS4 games...

Huh... which game(s)?

 

Most PS4 new games cost between 50 and 60 €. Very few cost 70, but they offer special content. I'd say 55 € is the average.

As for Switch the majority starts with 60 € with very few outliers (70 € for Smash). But still I'd say new Switch games cost about 10-15% more overall.

Ys8 for PS4 is obtainable for 39.99 whilst for Switch it's doubled (sold out maybe?).

I also have to admit I can see why some older games which were (re)released for the Switch cost more because they're still new for this console. 

I could accept if the price of the Switch was buffed for cartridges thing, but if you buy many games, you will have burnt money for nothing, you could have invested for other games. I don't consider it as fair overall.

Edited by Necrofantasia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you compare brand new releases, they should be the same price. But for other games, well, the PS4 and Xbox One are five years old while the Switch has yet to be two years old. So the games on switch haven't really depreciated from value too much. Price drops do occur, however. The Switch version of the Crash Bandicoot trilogy released at 60USD this summer, which I thought was a bummer since the PS4 version I had also been considering was already down to 40. However, I checked back around this Halloween and found the switch version to be equalized to 40. And of course because of black friday deals it's even less at this moment.

Huh...I should buy that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a final question: Is there a possibility that games could become extremly expensive due to rarity (like FE Tellius series)?
And if so, which games could it be?

I think to see Ys8 is suffering on this fate already.
Its prices are absurdly high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Necrofantasia said:

I have a final question: Is there a possibility that games could become extremly expensive due to rarity (like FE Tellius series)?
And if so, which games could it be?

I think to see Ys8 is suffering on this fate already.
Its prices are absurdly high.

No, not if they're available digitally. Rarity can't exist if there's an infinite supply of the game, unlike retro games like Tellius. If the Switch eshop goes down in ten years or if a game gets ripped from the eshop by the publisher then it will suddenly start to become rare like retro games. Because then the only way to play it is to buy a physical copy, or somebody's switch which has the game still installed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

No, not if they're available digitally. Rarity can't exist if there's an infinite supply of the game, unlike retro games like Tellius. If the Switch eshop goes down in ten years or if a game gets ripped from the eshop by the publisher then it will suddenly start to become rare like retro games. Because then the only way to play it is to buy a physical copy, or somebody's switch which has the game still installed. 

Couldn't be Wii games bought digitally in the e-shop as well (or was it only virtual console games digitally)?
If so, then I don't understand why the Tellius wasn't offered there as Xenoblade Chronicles 1.
At least latter had good sales from what I know.
They are not out for a nostalgic console like PS1 or SNES, and the Wii was still the latest console generation in early 2010s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

Couldn't be Wii games bought digitally in the e-shop as well (or was it only virtual console games digitally)?
If so, then I don't understand why the Tellius wasn't offered there as Xenoblade Chronicles 1.
At least latter had good sales from what I know.
They are not out for a nostalgic console like PS1 or SNES, and the Wii was still the latest console generation in early 2010s.

While there was an eshop that's shut down in recent years, PoR came ot on GC and the Wii eshop didn't do those titles and RD came out in the Wii's early days when the eshop wasn't a thing. I can see why they weren't put up then even aside from the lack of commercial success then and Nintendo's reticence to online sales.

In all honesty I could see it coming out on the switch, though when is a god question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

This also gives me the question, if it's recommended to wait some time till a possible price drop (if it will ever happen)?

More generally, the first-party Nintendo titles like Zelda or Pokemon tend to not drop all that much in price due to how popular they are - but they will gradually, particularly for secondhands in EBay. On the other hand, you can sell them when you are done with the game, and you still recoup a fair amount of your costs. In my case, I almost always wait for a couple of years and buy them secondhand from, and sell back onto EBay. (The only time I bought something new was Pokemon XY, which was worth every cent of my purchase.) When I bought, played, and sold Zelda's Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, I only ended up with an essential net cost of AU$15 each. Another good thing with Zelda/Pokemon is that they'll stay in print relatively long.

Of course, with the Switch being region-free, it might be worth shopping around EBay to see if you could get a cheaper (or even a more readily available) copy from elsewhere. (I could only get an American copy of Shadow Dragon - good thing that the earlier generation of DS games were region-free.)

Edited by henrymidfields

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know since 3DS that the price of Nintendo games doesn't drop as much and fast as for Sony consolen - if ever. There are only like a handful of 3DS games whose price were halved like Ocarina of Time, A Link Between Worlds or Kirby Robot. 

Some publishers or certain seasonal events offer a sale, but it's not like seeing a game for 75% dropped. 50% is the absolute best. Something in 30% is standard. On *black week* sale I bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as my first Switch game with a 1/3 discount.

I was shocked when I saw the Wii U version of Smash 4 cost 70 €. It's an outdated game for a outdated console.

 

Also I really wouldn't mind seeing Tellius for virtual console.

Edited by Necrofantasia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

I know since 3DS that the price of Nintendo games doesn't drop as much and fast as for Sony consolen - if ever. There are only like a handful of 3DS games whose price were halved like Ocarina of Time, A Link Between Worlds or Kirby Robot. 

Some publishers or certain seasonal events offer a sale, but it's not like seeing a game for 75% dropped. 50% is the absolute best. Something in 30% is standard. On *black week* sale I bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as my first Switch game with a 1/3 discount.

I was shocked when I saw the Wii U version of Smash 4 cost 70 €. It's an outdated game for a outdated console.

 

Also I really wouldn't mind seeing Tellius for virtual console.

It's even worse when the cheaper copies are from the US and the majority of Nintendo consoles/games are region-coded. I'm so pissed off that all of the reasonably-priced Radiant Historia copies are from the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...