Japan getting a Smash League

Jedi

West and East Japan? Is that really necessary? I guess there are a lot of people crammed into that stocking.

Ha, imagine a West Coast versus East Coast series for the US. So much history. Even then you'd be missing a solid scene in Austin, they hate us too much to pledge allegiance to the Best coast.

This does bring up the question of how hard they may push this game for esports. They won't release a fighting game with as large a player base as Smash Ultimate. So I think only having it show up at Nintendo World Championships, and its reserved spot at EVO would be wasted potential. Get out there and start contributing, Nintendo. And I know you're not selling Melee anymore but give them a push too.

On 11/26/2018 at 1:59 PM, TheBraveGallade said:

Remember, the west vs East divide is pretty clear in Japan, hell they use different power grids.

'not selling melee anymore'

Technically if they really wanted to, they could.

Coming to think of it, it is really weird they never rereleased Melee. It's not like other GameCube games haven't been available as ports. A port of melee with net play would be really easy to make and a gauranteed sell. They wouldn't even have to make any new characters or change any of the game play or anything (I mean if they wanted to add some characters to the melee roster I doubt anyone would complain, but my point is they wouldn't even have to bother doing so to see a rerelease rack up sales).

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Coming to think of it, it is really weird they never rereleased Melee. It's not like other GameCube games haven't been available as ports. A port of melee with net play would be really easy to make and a gauranteed sell. They wouldn't even have to make any new characters or change any of the game play or anything (I mean if they wanted to add some characters to the melee roster I doubt anyone would complain, but my point is they wouldn't even have to bother doing so to see a rerelease rack up sales).

Innate lag on newer tv's would make people go back to default Melee in the end still.

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well the functional answer to why they never re-released Melee is that Virtual Console never got to the Gamecube era, and the only remastered gamecube games nintendo ever put out were zelda titles. Now Virtual Console is as dead as the Wii U. A digital release wouldn't go unappreciated. There are a limited amount of Melee discs and gamecube controllers/memory cards in the universe. The supply shortage has led players to move on to emulator for home play and hacked USB or SD card loaders for tournament usage. The Melee community deeply appreciates the influx of smash controllers thanks to Smash 4, and those incoming when Ultimate releases. They'd appreciate if they made an infinite supply of Melee copies available as well by releasing it digitally. It would also boost the player base if it didn't take a $100+ investment just to be able to play Melee when you own none of the equipment. Sure I doubt the next Leffen would come out a Melee rerelease, but the local tournament scene is struggling without a supply of new blood. And no local tournaments means top players stay at the top. Stagnation is the key word when talking about Melee competitive. 

TL;DR Melee rerelease would be great for the competitive community, despite the shortcomings of modern hardware that players would definitely complain about. 

9 hours ago, Ashen Jedi said:

Innate lag on newer tv's would make people go back to default Melee in the end still.

Interestingly, you can bypass some of it in handheld mode. But that's a small screen for players to huddle around. And I don't know if there's a way to capture footage from an undocked switch. Another overlooked hurdle is that they might take the opportunity to release the most updated version of Melee - the PAL version, for all regions, which players would hate. Many relevant nerfs to top and high tiers that would not go over well. Also Jigglypuff and Ice Climbers are untouched - the most reviled viable characters in the game. 

26 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Well the functional answer to why they never re-released Melee is that Virtual Console never got to the Gamecube era, and the only remastered gamecube games nintendo ever put out were zelda titles. Now Virtual Console is as dead as the Wii U. A digital release wouldn't go unappreciated. There are a limited amount of Melee discs and gamecube controllers/memory cards in the universe. The supply shortage has led players to move on to emulator for home play and hacked USB or SD card loaders for tournament usage. The Melee community deeply appreciates the influx of smash controllers thanks to Smash 4, and those incoming when Ultimate releases. They'd appreciate if they made an infinite supply of Melee copies available as well by releasing it digitally. It would also boost the player base if it didn't take a $100+ investment just to be able to play Melee when you own none of the equipment. Sure I doubt the next Leffen would come out a Melee rerelease, but the local tournament scene is struggling without a supply of new blood. And no local tournaments means top players stay at the top. Stagnation is the key word when talking about Melee competitive. 

TL;DR Melee rerelease would be great for the competitive community, despite the shortcomings of modern hardware that players would definitely complain about. 

Interestingly, you can bypass some of it in handheld mode. But that's a small screen for players to huddle around. And I don't know if there's a way to capture footage from an undocked switch. Another overlooked hurdle is that they might take the opportunity to release the most updated version of Melee - the PAL version, for all regions, which players would hate. Many relevant nerfs to top and high tiers that would not go over well. Also Jigglypuff and Ice Climbers are untouched - the most reviled viable characters in the game. 

Preciously. A Melee rerelease would most certainly sell. It obviously wouldn't sell as well as a new Smash game, nor would it be perfect if ported to the Switch, but considering how large the fan base is for that game in particular, it would most certainly make back the rather minuscule cost it would take to produce a digital port. Hell I already own the game and I'd probably still buy a Switch port of it, even without Net Play, just for the luxury of playing it on the train (Net Play would be the big selling point if they rereleased it though, and would probably be particularly profitable now that Nintendo have gone full capitalist on us and introduced a subscription service for Net Play).

lag can be circumvented with already common low latency monitors.

yes pal vs ntsc v1.02 is always a relevant question. hopefully it would be 1.02.

hopefully the series means nintendo will be more inclined to make a game with gpod mechanics this time.

Edited by Comet