• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Viewing Enemy stats

2. Representation of more games

3. An infantry lance unit that isn't DLC

4. An option to command allies attack outposts

5. If we get past characters again, DLC characters from last game need to be in the base game.

6. In accordance with 5, Warriors Celica needs to match Echoes Celica's. No changing her convo with Anna though

7. I wouldn't mind if all characters were dropped from Warriors 1 and having Warriors 2 focus on different characters, as much as I'd miss the Warriors 1 characters

Edited by Arcphoenix

Right off the bat gonna talk about cast, but they should've decided whether they were gonna go all in on the Fates rep or not.  People might've had some problems with a straight up Fates Warriors game, but I feel like PR wouldn't have gotten screwed over as much if that's how it was for the whole news cycle.  Alternatively, we didn't need to bring in all these Fates nobles; could've made do with Corrin and the brothers or some other combination that'd involve the eldest brothers and two other relatives.

More maps would've been better.  Same with incorporating stage hazards more often than in the story.  The only real differences between the maps feels like simple size and travel time, the fliers' ability to bypass gaps rendered mostly irrelevant after the story is complete.

Variety in villains.  We had three sorcerer villains and a swordfighting villain who was similar to the Aytollis twins.  Here's the thing, I would've been fine with the trio of sorcerers, but only if they actually did something together (maybe they all unite their forces to create a super dragon or something).  But they're all just separate problems, so that common element they have doesn't tie into anything interesting.  So in the end, they could've gotten away with using villains more interesting than Iago and Validar.

More game modes.  I don't know, I just feel like the game could've had more to do.  There's plenty of hours to dump into the game, it's just they could've done more as well.  Mostly post-release.  Or maybe I'm just being needy.

And the option to fight in underwear without armor break.  Some people might want to look at 'Boro's behind in undies while she runs about.  I don't want to imply that anyone in particular would want this - though there would be nothing to be ashamed about in admiring her, Oboro is built quite well (the shoulders of a soldier, I'd say) - but I'm sure there are parties who'd appreciate this option for all the characters just as much as some appreciate the ability to turn armor break models off.

That's all I can think of right now.

if most of the rooster was gonna be clones anyways, might as well go all in and add some more characters.

shadow dragon base game

marth

caeda

tiki

minerva

navarre

linde

ogma

merric

barst

maria

awakening base game

chrom

robin

frederick

lissa

cordelia

lucina

owain

olivia

tharjra

noire

fates base game

corrin

azura

ryoma

xander

hinoka

camilla

takumi

leo

sakura

elise

blazing sword base game

lyn

eliwood

hector

nino

jaffar

shadows of valentia base game

alm

celica

saber

lukas

genny

A bit more variety is all it really needed. A few more maps to spice things up, a few more characters from other games (and a lot less from others) to change the dynamics. Here is a baseline of what I would do.

Remove Sakura, Hinoka, and Leo. As much as I like Leo, he is kinda the footnote of the Nohr family, as is Hinoka for the Hoshidan family. Sakura gets axed because she is basically just a worse Takumi in this game and completely redundant. 

Remove the Lemon head twins, and the entire idea of Aytolis in general. Nobody likes either of the twins, and the idea as a whole mainly weighs the game down. Have the characters dropped into a world randomly and work together.

To replace these units, I personally propose that Eirika and Ephraim replace the lemon heads, which allows for an infantry lance to be in the game at launch, and also from Sacred Stones, we add Myrrh. Really just another stone user. Also add Hector and Eliwood on his horse using a lance (I know he's most known for his sword but I want a bit of variety) to round out the Blazing Blade trio. That is without adding more characters than there were slots at launch.

For the DLC, I would put Ogma in instead of Navarre, Linde and Minerva are fine.

Awakening DLC is fine

Fates DLC needs work. First, Niles. Get Niles out of the DLC. Instead, Kaze should be there. This is a dilemma since daggers or shurikens wouldn't be in there naturally, but he deserves it over freaking Niles. Then Oboro. Much as I like her style of playing, I don't really think she should go here (plus in this headcanon of mine I think Ephraim would get her style of gameplay). No, I think that, and stick with me here, Corrin should get the final spot. "But Corrin is already in the game" you say, and right you would be. However, this time, s/he would be wielding a dragonstone. Really, that's just an excuse to have three dragonstone users in the game so I don't just sell any dragonstone I get because I hate using Tiki. But since IS is somewhat smart, they probably wouldn't do that. Instead, I think they would probably go for Silas. Lance or Sword cav, doesn't matter. He'd either be a clone of Eliwood or Xander in this game.

In addition, I propose a fourth and fifth DLC pack. Fourth being Echoes characters and fifth being a villains pack, of all the villains in the game becoming playable.

This Echoes pack would have Alm (Who admitedly should've been in the base game but I decided to keep the same number of roster spots as the base game for whatever reason), along with Gray/Tobin and Saber. Gray/Tobin would be an archer, and Saber would probably be a clone of Ogma or something. I like Gray more, but Tobin is an archer canonically so either is fine, although I think Gray would win because of personality.

The villain's pack would be by far the biggest, and the villains in it will be gone over in the new story section. This would also include a mode similar to Ganon's mode in Hyrule Warriors, except you can play as all the big dragons. Velezark, Fire Dragon (He's going to need a name, or maybe it could be a female dragon), Grima, Duma, and Demon King).

As I mentioned earlier, we're dropping the entire story and replacing it. The current one is complete garbage and is basically just the games retold slightly worse and with interjections by characters from other games. Instead, have Velezark take a more active role in the plot. He summons a bunch of villains (Gharnef, Validar, Garon, Lyon, Nergal, Rudolf, and a few dragons like Grima, the Fire Dragon, Duma, and the Demon King for good measure. Also the option to pick Slime Monster Duma or Dragon Duma would be awesome.) and they basically set up a giant death trap of random pieces and chunks of world swarming with their minions. Then, heroes from all the worlds are warped in, and have to fight for their lives. I like the idea of having two sets of story mode missions that eventually collide. So one story will have Marth find all of the Shadow Dragon, Binding Blade, and Awakening characters, and meanwhile we'll have, let's say Ephraim (although it probably would be Corrin) finding all of the Echoes, Sacred Stones, and Fates characters. So after these two bands are formed, the villains hatch a scheme to have them fight each-other. The wizards cast some odd spell as both parties enter a large arena, and there's a huge brawl between parties. As for who you fight as, either you go through it twice, once as each side, or once as a side of your choice. At the end of that, the two parties unite under the banner of Marth (or the victor if we go the you pick a side for the big clash between the two parties), and then you go defeating various bosses. I also hope for some more banter between bosses and the people they're fighting. Throughout this, the villains are being slightly fleshed out. Maybe we see the Fire Dragon and Grima having a contest of who can Dragon roar the loudest, or Gharnef and Validar are being the caniving evil people we know them to be and Lyon is a mediator of sorts, or Garon and Rudolf bond over the struggles of running an empire. Stuff like, so these great villains we love get more development. Velezark also gets more screentime as a result, something he desperately needs. Anyways, heroes win, and then we get sequel bait. They thought they slew Velezark, and they try to go home, but find they can't, then more worlds start to collide, and we see a shadow of what looks to be Ike saying something heroic, vague, intimidating, cocky, really anything that would work.

No chances to gameplay or presentation though, those are both already amazing.

This is going to be highly optimistic, since this is an improvement/dream game scenario.

1. No original characters. Focus the story around a main lord or lords from the franchise proper.

Suggestion - This is going to be controversial, but Fates would probably make the best baseline to ground the story in. It provides a group of characters with established relationships, has a wide enough conflict as is to cleanly insert characters from the other games in interesting ways, and Anankos would make a great substitution for Valizark. As is, the game basically spends most of its time telling Fates' story anyway.

2.  More varied game representation.

Can be accomplished as such:

3. DLC the Hell out of this game. Seriously, we'd buy it.

4 - Take advantage of clones.

Make one template moveset for each class, and continually add more clones of that class with different stats, personal skills, and personal weapons. The below are merely examples of solid choices.

Great Lord

Hero

Swordmaster

Paladin (Sword)

Flying (Sword)

General (Sword)

Halberdier

Paladin (Lance)

Flying (Lance)

Warrior

Great Knight

Flying (Axe)

General (Axe)

Sage (Fire)

Sage (Wind)

Sage (Light)

Sorceror

Dark Knight/Valkyrie

Sniper

Assassin

5. An example of characters with story mode and history mode considered:

Story Mode (Hoshido Side)

Great Lord - Marth, Seliph, Leif, Chrom, Roy

Hero - Alm

Dragon - Tiki

Swordmaster - Ryoma

Great Knight - Frederick

Flying (Sword) - Caeda

Flying (Lance) - Hinoka

Sniper - Takumi, Sakura

Sage (Light) - Linde

Sorceror - Robin

Warrior - Lyssa

Story Mode (Nohr Side)

Swordmaster - Navarre

Paladin (Sword) - Xander

Paladin (Lance) - Camus

Great Knight - Walhart

Flying (Axe) - Camilla, Minerva

Flying (Lance) - Cormag

Sage (Fire) - Celica

Dark Knight/Valkyrie - Leo, Elise, Reinhardt

Sage (Light) - Micaiah

Assassin - Sothe

Story Mode (Neutral)

Great Lord - Lucina

Dragon - Corrin

History Mode - At the Dragon's Gate

Paladin (Sword) - Eliwood

Swordmaster - Lyn

General (Axe) - Hector

Dragon - Ninian

Assassin - Jaffar

Sorceror - Nergal

History Mode - Geneology of the Holy War - Betrayal at Belhalla

Paladin (Sword) - Sigurd

Paladin (Lance) - Quan

Sage (Fire) - Arvis

Sage (Wind) - Lewyn

Sage (Light) - Deirdre

History Mode - Path of Radiance - Moment of Fate

Hero - Ike

General (Sword) - Black Knight

Flying (Sword) - Elincia

Sage (Wind) - Soren

Dragon - Nasir

History Mode - Sacred Stones - Final Chapter

Halberdier - Ephraim

Paladin (Sword) - Eirika

Dark Knight/Valkyrie - L'Arachel

Swordmaster - Joshua

Sniper - Innes

Sorceror - Lyon

Villains DLC Pack -

General (Axe) - Garon

General (Sword) - Zephiel

Flying (Lance) - Valter

Sorceror - Validar, Iago, Gharnef

Edited by Etheus

One thing that bugs me is that everybody is locked to a single weapon type. Even classes notable for wielding many weapons. So I definitely would have created generic movesets for each weapon type. Movesets that aren't great at clearing waves and only go up to a four hit combo maximum - like what you see generic enemy captains doing. Put those on playable characters. And like fire emblem games proper, you only have your primary weapon at first, but can earn new weapon types via promotion. It would just be nice that I wouldn't have to back off completely from enemy units that have weapon and level advantage over me, and also babysit my AI who mindlessly engage such units unless I direct them constantly. It also addresses the game's more dire issue of weapon imbalance where there are too many swordies and extremely few lance units that are all clones of each other and all weak to archers which you need to scan for in every battle.

Edited by Glennstavos

Y'all seem to be forgetting that a LOT goes into each individual character in comparison to other warriors games and to accommodate such boosts in the roster, you'd have to cut out a lot, if not ALL of each's support conversations. Frankly, i find that to be a net loss and for that reason, am not suggesting any changes to the roster, as that's purely subjective and, aside from having another favorite, doesn't really make the game any better (than it currently is), followed by needing to replace all of said character's dialogue, the scenes they appear in, etc and cause too much unnecessary work. Instead, I've my own suggestions from what is already there, and adding onto it:

Paralogue Chapters:

i think we can all agree that the the story campaign was rather lacking, most particularly with how linear and one-sided it is. Side stories, i believe, could rectify that to some degree, such as how Gristonne and the villains play into everything, where the SD crew was prior to just randomly showing up, Lyn & Celica getting a chapter to themselves with their own side plot,etc. And then there's the planned idea with Darios that unfortunately never saw the light of day

Movesets

As far as gameplay goes, not much really needs to be changed in regards to the characters already in the game, save for any unit that can use more than one weapon type ought to be allowed to do so upon promotion. They already had the right idea with all the peg knights and Corrin gaining staves. To extend the offer, Chrom & Xander gain lances, Lucy & Lyn gain a bow, Frederick gains the entire weapon triangle, Minerva gains a lance moveset, Camilla gains a tome moveset, Corrin COULD, but doesn't necessarily NEED a stone moveset, but rather have his Awakening be the dragon transformation just like it is with Tiki. Case of Robin, even though their class is able to use swords, I personally think that they're fine as is, given that none of the sword movests currently available actually suit them. Inversely with Celica, given that she doesn't actually use a tomb and that Marth's moveset suits her perfectly, but would require a bit of the "Tharja effect" to bring out the magic.

Generic Classes & Enemy units

Then there's the visual oversights with undiversified unit classes that need fixing. If there's an ally/enemy unit with the class thief/ninja, have them be a thief/ninja and not just a re wardrobed myrmidon. Olivia's moveset is the closest thing we have to that and can serve as a baseline for it. Mercs are in a bit of a bind since they've no baseline to go off of. If Ogma were in the game, it'd make things easier to base off of, but if they were able to make knights from thin air, then i don't see any issue why not make mercs. Likewise with playable characters, enemies ought to be given the same weapon variety where applicable. As for actual enemy characters, their AI ought to be more of a threat than generics. Its a tad disappointing that they use watered down movesets and at most, only two attacks at a time.

History mode:

The dialogue in each map is a nice callback to each game and chapter that they come from, followed by references here and there, but what would have been a nice opportunity is to have more original dialogue scenarios that relate to the map in question in some way. Invisible Ties was the only one to actually do this, which i found to be very interesting and was a shame that it didn't extend to all the others. Related to this is a second point:

Story/Gameplay Integration:

Every map has a mission thats suppose to emulate the dialogue into what appears to be a more meaningful battle. The downside to this is that they didn't exactly see it all the way through and cut corners. For example, Invisible Ties had the dark barriers that blockaded areas of the map. Dark Pontifex had Inhullu protecting [the real] Gharnef and required gathering the light & Starsphere for Leo to make Starlight. Together at Last had its infinite mogalls. If it was too much to recreate the maps themselves, adding these events/conditions to the battles would have at least made the same map more fun.

Lastly, while minor, have the option to PICK THE BATTLE MUSIC

Representation 

Not obviously snubbing a good portion of the fanbase would have been a good start. There are several redundant additions that could have easily be swapped for Hector and Eliwood, or Ike and BK, or whoever they could pick. That small step would already ensure all three main era's of the series are represented. It doesn't have to be on par with Fateswakening and it doesn't even need to be a lot but just enough to avoid giving the message that the old fans just aren't welcome at the party. 

Villains

Most of all the villains need a lot more work. Making a villain team that consisted exclusively of generic dark mages and the biggest losers of their stories was the strangest decision the devs made. I just can't wrap my head around it. Its not like Iago and Valider have legions of fans that would riot at their exclusion. If anything those two attract far more criticism than praise and were thus the dumbest choices they could have gone for. If they wanted to be lazy with villains there were far better options. Simply adding a dark aura around Takumi and Robin would have been enough to create Anankos and Grima, Walhard could be a Frederick clone and to some extend Gangrel make a decent Ryoma clone. I've heard a lot of possible reasoning like a lack of resources or the villains just not being a priority but that doesn't convince me when better options were easily available for just as little work. 

Classic FE stages

The big focus on locations in Aytolis was a mistake because its just boring. We only have generic locations. A generic forest, a generic canyon, generic castles and a generic town. The temple you fight Validar in is supposed to remind you of the Dragon's table but it isn't. Fusing worlds might seem like fanfic writing but it works much better. In Hyrule Warriors places like Skyloft, the sealing ground and Kakariko village were represented as stages as best as possible. FE Warriors could have easily done the same. They could have recreating castle Krakenburg by having you start in the area you fight Hans, ascent the staircase you fight Iago, cross the arena you fight Xander in and end up in the throne room. They could have done something similar to Sumeragi castle or try to create Altea castle with its moats and its water. It would be so much more interesting than the random and generic places you end up fighting in. 

World building

The world building was extremely lacking. You'd think that's a silly thing to complain about it in a Warriors game but it really isn't. In Dynasty Warriors the narration and political maps show you how China changes in a process spanning decades, clans rise and fall in Samurai Warriors and we got a full map of Hyrule with a narrator to help us in Hyrule Warriors. But this charm is lost in FE Warriors. We got a map but it doesn't tell us anything. Do we even know were Gristone is located and what the kingdom is supposed to be?

There are a lot of things i'd do differently. I would't do a combo of Shadow dragon/Awakening/Fates for starters. I'm not designing a whole new game from scratch though so I think i'll keep that combo for this post.

1. Go all out with clones or just don't bother at all.
I'm not opposed to clones on principle. In fact I think that might work better in a FE warriors games. Movesets based on classes, rather then characters means its very easy to get a lot of the non lord characters in. However Fe warriors has both a relatively small roster and one that is filled with clones. I don't see any reason why Navarre, Owain and Tharja would be dlc when you can just copy and paste their moveset in. I don't see why shadow dragon got more characters in, in general if cloning is that easy.  I'm not asking for Dynasty Warriors 7: attack of the clones, but at least a couple more characters would not have hurt.

2. Make cloned movesets more unique.
Once again i'm not asking for much here. Even Dynasty warrior 7 with its 1000 clones gave each character their own unique special extender. Sima Zhao could follow one of its generic moves up by literally surfing on the enemy, Guan Pink could create a big tornada and there are many more examples of those moves. I know fe Warriors has stats, but fighting wise they only have their musou and magic attacks to seperate them. Those moves look different, but they still feel the same.

3. A bit more of an even representation
I grumbled about it a bit in my part 1, but i'll say it again here. Shadow Dragon  really felt like an afterthought in this crossover. Dlc fixed this a little bit, but in the base game they had no presence at all. They took the only 3 characters that where mandatory and left it at that. The shadow dragon dlc characters in the main game would have put it at the same level of characters as Awekening if I recall correctly. So i'd do that and pick out 3 new candidates for dlc.

4. Bring back classic map narration
A more minor point, but still one that I would like. The tellius games have pretty good map narration where they give a brief description of the area, why they go their, how the armies move and such. Dynasty/samurai warriors does the same. So I'd like to see it in a crossover too.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently shared a lot of thoughts about this over on GFaqs, mostly mechanics focused. That thread was talking more about a sequel but I think it fits reasonably well here as well. Most of these thoughts are very similar, but I've expanded the support character section a lot since then.

1) Heavy tweaks to stats, skills and weapon balance

I won't go into detail about the problems here for those who aren't aware - but in short, a few skills for both weapons and characters dominate the game, and weapon power ends up so high that most stats just don't matter at all, making all of the individuality of each character's stats just come down to "X has higher luck than Y so X is better" if they have the same moveset, and otherwise the only relevant stat being luck.

So there's a significant number of possible changes here. I'd actually prefer to see a bit of a return to lower numbers for stats, similar to more classic FE games, but realistically that probably won't happen. So let's assume stats simply don't change much - the same kind of stat distributions happen in FEW2 as now (but no 999 HP cap as that's unnecessary).

However, to make many stats more significant, we have to tweak other mechanics, or how they work:

a) Reduce weapon might considerably. For example: Bronze as 10-15. Iron as 20-30. Steel as 40-60. Silver as 70-105. Brave as 110-165. Hero as 180-270. Personal weapons first are raised to 165 (by scroll), then to 270 (by Opus). This is high enough that having a good weapon can still have a very significant impact on damage, but allows differences in strength stats to have a realistic impact on damage. Currently, adding strength on to a 720 power weapon does basically nothing, but adding it to a 270 power weapon is far more noticeable. Obviously to accommodate this change, enemies would have to have lower HP/Def, especially later in the game, but minor changes like that are relatively easy.

b) Tweak the stat some skills run on, or make them run on several stats. Luna has always traditionally depended on skill in FE games, so why not keep it that way here when skill is a relatively less important stat? Some skills could also depend on speed, to make that more significant as well.

c) Reduce the damage limit for getting S ranks. It's a bit too easy currently, which makes defensive stats unimportant. If you had to actually pay attention to defences when picking characters, things might be a bit more balanced.

d) General rebalancing of many skills. Luna is broken in its current form, I think most people know that. I've suggested formulae for it in the past that would make it scale much less oppressively. Lethality as well. But also, bump up the effectiveness of some of those less good skills: Make the stat+10 skills instead a stat +20% (with maybe a minimum +5 bonus so they're still of use at low levels) so they're still viable even at higher levels. Some of the situational damage boosters could be larger as well, like Awakening.

2) Pair Up, Support characters and multiple weapon types

One thing that almost every FE game has, is characters who can use several weapon types. In a sense, FEW vaguely allows you to do this as you can swap characters in a pair up - but that really isn't the same thing, is it? But also with pair up existing, having several weapons on a character feels a little redundant. Fortunately, I've thought of a system that would have several benefits, which I call "Support characters", that also has many other potential benefits. I'll explain what these are first.

Support characters would replace the current pair up system, you would no longer be able to pair up two playable characters and switch the vanguard at will. Support characters would be a wide library of non-controllable characters who are optionally assigned to each character at the start of battle (or using a default from the previous battle, similar to weapons+items). Like the current pair up partners, they don't usually appear directly on the battlefield but will appear briefly for their dual action (e.g. dual strike). They cannot be dismissed to act separately, but can be swapped with another playable character's support character when nearby. A character that is normally playable can be assigned as a support, if they are not otherwise deployed in the battle. Since support characters don't fight and there would be a lot more of them than playable characters, they gain EXP at a greatly increased rate, perhaps around 3x normal character EXP gain. However their levels have relatively smaller impact.

Since support characters do not function like full characters, a lot of the work in creating them would be stripped out: They would have considerably fewer animations, only a few voice lines in battle, and only one costume. Considerably less effort to create them means you can realistically create a LOT more of them: The current game has 32 playable characters, you could realistically probably make 10+ support characters in the time it takes to fully develop just one character. And they could still be potential candidates for DLC or free updates to make them into fully fleshed out characters further down the line as well. Plus, they could still have support conversations and support levels with playable characters, potentially. Speaking of supports, to compensate for less support gain via pair up fighting, increase the amount gained by simply being deployed in the same map, and also gain support based on fighting near each other, not just while paired up.

Essentially, support characters would allow a lot of characters who may otherwise have no chance of appearing in the game get in, at the cost of perhaps a small number of full character slots. You would also have the potential to deploy up to 8 characters with pair up partners into every map, which might make the game feel a bit more like a traditional FE game with a large army of unique characters.

Speaking of pair up, the bonuses from your support character would work very differently. Every support character would still give a bonus to stats, but this bonus would be based now on the level of the support character, increased slightly by support rank you have with them. Dual Specials are gone (they're cute once or twice and the voice clips are nice, but otherwise they're OP and slow the gameplay down too much), and as for other effects, that depends heavily on the character. Increasing support level would no longer increase the rate that the dual strike/guard gauge charges, instead the single dual gauge that replaces it would always fill at a constant rate - but with higher support levels can be "overfilled" a certain amount, 1/3rd of a gauge extra per support level (meaning A support lets you double fill it, allowing e.g. two dual strikes in quick succession).

Instead of a pair up partner giving access to dual specials, dual strikes, dual guards etc., supports here would give access to one main bonus depending on the character you support. Each support character would have one of five types (along with their corresponding dual action): Attack (Dual Strike), Defence (Dual Guard), Mobility (Dual Charge), Healing (Dual Heal) and Augment (Dual Rally). Many of these are new, and even the ones that aren't need some explaining (see spoiler below)

Spoiler

* Attack supports are the closest thing to the current support partners. ZR+A performs a dual strike which exposes WPG on many enemies, deals some damage etc. These characters would differ from one another mainly by weapon type, which affects WTA - but further to that, different characters may have a different pattern with their dual strike. Some hit ahead, some strike around you. Some have only a short range, but have a faster charging gauge, while others hit much wider but take longer to charge. Attack support characters would increase offensive stats (Str/Mag/Skl) more for the pair up partner.

* Defence supports have a few changes in how they function compared to vanilla's dual guards. Dual Guard effects can vary from character to character. In vanila, they prevent damage and flinch, but don't activate in some conditions. They have no ZR+A action, and always activate when you get hit, but exactly what they do can vary. Effects they could have include: Preventing damage, preventing flinch, providing invulnerability for a second or two after the attack (not necessarily negating the attack that activated it though!) or counterattacking the person who hit you. In addition, the times they can activate vary: Some are only while you are attacking, some only while you are not attacking, most always. And how much of the dual gauge is used varies from character to character. Naturally, ones with more restrictive activation conditions would have more and stronger effects than ones that can activate any time: For example, one defence support might prevent flinch at any time, needing 50% of the dual gauge to activate. Another might prevent flinch and damage and counter the enemy, but need 75% of the dual gauge and only activate while you are moving. Different effects mean each defence support would feel a little different from each other. Defence support characters would mostly increase defensive stats (Def/Res) for their pair up partner.

* Mobility supports are a new one. As the name implies their dual action is all about assisting you in getting around the map: ZR+A activates dual charge, which greatly increases movement for a short time. Most (if not all) of these would be mounted characters. I imagine that for the time it's active, when dashing you would have a dash animation showing the support character riding, with you on the back - this animation would quickly transition back to combat if/when you attack. As with other dual actions, these vary from each other based on a few factors: Some move more quickly, some last longer. Some provide bonus effects while active such as crossing flight gaps or granting total immunity to damage while in dual charge. For example, one character might provide 3x movement speed for 2 seconds. Another might give 2x movement speed for 5 seconds while allowing flight over gaps. Mobility support characters would increase a variety of stats, including small movement increases and Spd.

* Healing supports are pretty easy to guess. The provide healing with their dual action. Their heal amount is considerably lower than actual staves or healing items, this is to balance out the fact they're unlimited use. For example, while vulneraries and heal staves start at 50 HP, a low level healer support using dual heal might be more like 5-20 HP. Higher level ones may be about 10-15 times that, when you have elixirs and recover staves. Different Healing support characters would each use a different staff, whose effects can vary by range (some heal only the user, others a small area, some a wide area), healing amount (smaller range = bigger effect typically), dual gauge charge speed (some powerful effects might need a huge amount of kills to ready just once), and in some cases additional staff effects. For example, one dual healer might have recover, self target only, slow-ish charge speed, and heals about 100 HP at a given level. Another may have Bloom Festal with medium range and a fairly quick charge speed, but only heals 20 HP at a similar level. One may have Barrier, healing a bit and also providing a boost to Res that gives e.g. +20 Res when first cast, but wears off 1 point every second. Healers would typically increase Mag, Luk and Res for their partner.

* Augment supports have dual rally as their dual action. Once used, this increases a given stat(s) by an amount depending on the augment support's level, and lasts a reasonable length time (perhaps 10-20 seconds). During that time you can't build up another dual rally however. The stat increase from these could be a single stat or several, and like with heals it could be only the vanguard that's affected, or people in a small area around. Extra effects could be attached to the "rally" as well, such as increasing special or awakening - Dancers would probably be augment supports so their dual "rally" can emulate the sing/dance effect that Azura and Olivia have. For example, one augment support might give +50 Skill for 10 seconds, while another (Robin) might give +5 to all stats for 20 seconds. Augment supports would often increase many stats slightly for their partner, but especially the stat(s) they rally.

This system would be a big difference from what we've got, but it would hopefully serve a few interesting purposes: It helps differentiate the support character from each other by varying what they can actually do, it makes choosing your support character interesting, it makes pair up somewhat less insane in power by separating out many of its potent effects and forcing you to choose just one. 

Now, with pair up not letting you simply switch characters, we can move on to the next part of this thing I'd like to see: Weapon swapping, or multi-weapon wielding, or whatever you'd like to call it. After promotion, each character would get a second moveset. Yes, these would probably mostly be clones of other characters, sorry. I'd prefer two unique on everyone, sure, but that just isn't realistic. However I envision that no character would share BOTH movesets with someone else, so at least everyone would be arguably more unique than FEW? Anyway, in battle you'd have the ability to swap weapon and use your second moveset and weapon type. One downside to this might be, to force decisions on the player, your second weapon would go in the same slot as your item otherwise would. So you can bring a second weapon type, but in exchange you sacrifice the ability to heal. Additionally, some characters after promotion, such as Ryoma, may not get a second weapon type but still get an alternate moveset - in that case, they would have the option to not equip a second weapon and just use their first for both - a small advantage in terms of weapon optimising, and allowing them to keep using their item slot. Not much more to say about this, especially. Everyone would still only have one personal weapon.

3) Other miscellaneous improvements

* Improved AI commands menu

One minor frustrating thing in the game is having to constantly pause and change AI targets every time they achieve something, or just ignore the fact they could be being more helpful and simply let them roam wild. Since FE is a strategy and tactics game first and foremost, let's add a few extra options here:

a) Queue orders on a unit. Order them to kill target enemy A, then capture fort B, then guard that fort, all before even starting the mission. Now you can play missions with fewer distractions.

b) More advanced orders on units. Kill target or defend ally/fort exist, which is nice. Let's add a few others, such as patrol area, making a unit move around a designated zone and attack any enemies that come near, an interrupt to go heal option so they can do task X, but if someone ends up below half health they break off and go heal them, things like that. Also, things like attacking/defending specific outposts and the like,

c) For players who prefer to just jump right into battle without spending a minute or two crafting their strategy, orders without pausing. When an AI character finishes their order, you currently get a textbox of them basically saying they're done. Let's have that message hover with a button prompt you can hold down, to bring up a quick menu and assign a quick instruction for their next action on the fly.You could have a number of basic options from this such as "Attack nearby enemies", "Attack a nearby fort", "Come to me", "Defend your current location", "Defend the allied base" etc. Quick, simple things that don't require pausing, so you can keep the action going.

* Showing enemy stats in game. Why not? The game is already good enough to give us levels, just cut out a bit more of the guesswork.

* Movement stats that are actually proportional to movement speed. This one seems so obvious in retrospect. Flying units with 20 move are obviously not moving 4 times as fast as Infantry units with 5 move, so how about we actually just get propotional values here? For reference, the rule is roughly "add 15-16 to the move stat" if you want to compare, e.g. flyers are about 35/20 times as fast moving as infantry - so why not just show infantry as 20 move, fliers as 35 move, cavalry as 30 and Frederick as 25?

Probably a bunch of other minor stuff.

Edited by Tables

Personally, I would add elements to certain characters. Mainly the clones.

For example, rather than all the archers using the same wind attacks, Sakura could have a light-looking attack (like her special), Niles could have dark (because he's from Nohr) and Anna could have fire (also like her specials). I think this would help to make clones feel more unique even if it's purely aesthetic.

I would also want a male Lance user of some sort (I don't mind who). For the missions when only males are allowed, it's much tougher to take down sword users due to there not being any male Lance users.

Also, being able to choose which music track plays on the map would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

As for what improvements I would give for a potential FEW2, I'm gonna get the obvious one out of the way first

1. More games represented that aren't Awakening, Fates, and Shadow Dragon.

For what games I would choose as the focus games for a FEW2, my picks would be Elibe, Valentia, and Tellius. Elibe and Valentia just so Lyn and Celica aren't alone and Tellius because Ike. With Elibe it could possibly be more focused on FE7 since it was the one that localized, and in terms of FE6, we'll probably get Roy and Lilina at the bare minimum. I suppose Three Houses could also be represented with Byleth or Edelgard as a bonus character like Lyn and Celica in FEW1.

2. Better variety of villains

Pretend like you didn't see this one coming. We all knew that the villains wouldn't be the selling point of FEW1 considering the games they chose, but the fact that they went out of their way to pick the worst villains from those games if for no other reason than laziness doesn't help. With the focus games I've mentioned, they would have a better variety of villains to choose from. With Elibe we could have either Zephiel or Nergal (or both if we have both FE6 and 7 represented), Valentia we could have Berkut that way we have a lance cavalier, and with Tellius we'd obviously have the Black Knight, who could easily be the Lu Bu of the game. Bonus points if the villains are actually playable this time around.

3. Add new weapon types

I would add dagger units and beast units to the game. That's it.

4. Not locking characters in the base game behind DLC

Honestly I thought it was really scummy that Oboro, Niles, Owain, and Navarre were all locked behind a paywall despite technically already being in the game. Like, did we learn nothing from Street Fighter x Tekken?!

That's about it for what I would do in a possible FEW2.

3 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Honestly I thought it was really scummy that Oboro, Niles, Owain, and Navarre were all locked behind a paywall despite technically already being in the game. 

Just because they appear in the game as enemies, it doesn't mean they're in any kind of playable state. Enemy officers have very limited move sets compared to playable heroes (including no specials, awakening finishers, dual specials etc), far less dialogue including supports, no extra costumes and so on. It's not like the character appearing as an enemy means they're fully ready to go as playable characters.

Not saying KT's business practices in general aren't scummy, but I always find it weird that people pick this one out despite how disingenuous of a point it is.

21 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

As for what improvements I would give for a potential FEW2, I'm gonna get the obvious one out of the way first

1. More games represented that aren't Awakening, Fates, and Shadow Dragon.

For what games I would choose as the focus games for a FEW2, my picks would be Elibe, Valentia, and Tellius. Elibe and Valentia just so Lyn and Celica aren't alone and Tellius because Ike. With Elibe it could possibly be more focused on FE7 since it was the one that localized, and in terms of FE6, we'll probably get Roy and Lilina at the bare minimum. I suppose Three Houses could also be represented with Byleth or Edelgard as a bonus character like Lyn and Celica in FEW1.

2. Better variety of villains

Pretend like you didn't see this one coming. We all knew that the villains wouldn't be the selling point of FEW1 considering the games they chose, but the fact that they went out of their way to pick the worst villains from those games if for no other reason than laziness doesn't help. With the focus games I've mentioned, they would have a better variety of villains to choose from. With Elibe we could have either Zephiel or Nergal (or both if we have both FE6 and 7 represented), Valentia we could have Berkut that way we have a lance cavalier, and with Tellius we'd obviously have the Black Knight, who could easily be the Lu Bu of the game. Bonus points if the villains are actually playable this time around.

3. Add new weapon types

I would add dagger units and beast units to the game. That's it.

Honestly I thought it was really scummy that Oboro, Niles, Owain, and Navarre were all locked behind a paywall despite technically already being in the game. Like, did we learn nothing from Street Fighter x Tekken?!

That's about it for what I would do in a possible FEW2.

Just realized another thing I would do for a FEW2

5. Give the focus games equal focus

I honestly really didn't like the clear amount of favoritism towards specific games in FEW1, in this case Fates, which got a whopping total of 9 characters in the base game, Awakening got 6, and Shadow Dragon only getting 3, despite being, I dunno, THE ORIGIN OF THE FIRE EMBLEM SERIES. This even extended to the main story, where the Shadow Dragon characters were clearly an afterthought. With a FEW2, I would give each focus game an equal or close to equal number of characters like say 8 characters.

Add Ike.

Don't lock characters already in the game behind a DLC paywall as already pointed out too.

Add Ike.

Use an art style other than Kozaki's, because I don't think it translated well into 3D here.

Give actual character depth and development to Rowan and Lianna. Change Rowan's dumb hair too. xP

And did I mention add Ike?

...Yeah, I'll be quiet about that. :P

Edited by Anacybele

I'll echo the point that giving template movesets that represent classes rather than individual characters would help a lot, and it'd be much easier to implement skins so that a larger proportion of the cast can be represented. AND you could handle weapon swapping this way, by tying the movesets to the classes. Most characters who wield the same weapons already have a bunch of overlap with their movesets and are borderline clones, anyway. You can still have special movesets for Lords and stuff, and maybe each character can have some quirks to their animations, but nothing too insane that makes representing a large cast difficult, since that's part of Fire Emblem's appeal.

In addition, make a unit's stats actually matter. The powercreep of the game just ruins the game balance, and at a certain point, all stats stop mattering because weapon attack just rules above all else. And then a character's moveset comes in second. In the late game, most stats just don't matter at all.

As it stands... FEW, while enjoyable, almost represents absolutely nothing about Fire Emblem. It's almost the complete opposite of Fire Emblem.

Edited by Slumber

-View enemy stats

-Better representation. The amount of characters Fates got in comparison to the other represented games is asinine. Give Fates Corrin, Azura, and the royal siblings, and no one else! No Niles, no Oboro. Replace them with more Shadow Dragon characters!

-Better class representation. Where are the playable Knights and Thieves?

-Faster way of leveling up. After a certain point, and once you unlock certain characters, leveling them up to match your old high-leveled characters is a tedious grind.

3 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

-View enemy stats

-Better representation. The amount of characters Fates got in comparison to the other represented games is asinine. Give Fates Corrin, Azura, and the royal siblings, and no one else! No Niles, no Oboro. Replace them with more Shadow Dragon characters!

-Faster way of leveling up. After a certain point, and once you unlock certain characters, leveling them up to match your old high-leveled characters is a tedious grind.

Better yet, just have the Fates representation be Corrin, Azura, Xander, Ryoma, Camilla, and Takumi. The two main characters, the older brothers of both kingdoms, and the two most popular siblings from both kingdoms

7 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Well, knight characters actually weren't really possible due to the games they chose to include. There just aren't any candidates available from those continents.

From Archenea it would have been either Draug or Lorenz. But Draug  hardly has a character and Lorenz is old which isn't something a fanservicy game like this was going for. Of course they could take my suggestion and just put it emperor Hardin despite him being from Shadow Dragon's sequel. He's still an Archenean after all and the best of the bunch.

From Awakening it would either have been Kellam or Kjelle and neither of those would ever get in. 

From Fates Benny and Effie aren't unpopular exactly but neither are likely candidates for a crossover either. They aren't particularly important and don't top any popularity charts either. 

But thieves really are weird. This one would have been a lot easier. Julian has plenty of character traits to work with and they could have made Sakura an expy of his girlfriend. Kaze would have been an even more obvious candidate since he's one of the more prominent non royals. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

44 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well, knight characters actually weren't really possible due to the games they chose to include. There just aren't any candidates available from those continents.

From Archenea it would have been either Draug or Lorenz. But Draug  hardly has a character and Lorenz is old which isn't something a fanservicy game like this was going for. Of course they could take my suggestion and just put it emperor Hardin despite him being from Shadow Dragon's sequel. He's still an Archenean after all and the best of the bunch.

From Awakening it would either have been Kellam or Kjelle and neither of those would ever get in. 

From Fates Benny and Effie aren't unpopular exactly but neither are likely candidates for a crossover either. They aren't particularly important and don't top any popularity charts either. 

But thieves really are weird. This one would have been a lot easier. Julian has plenty of character traits to work with and they could have made Sakura an expy of his girlfriend. Kaze would have been an even more obvious candidate since he's one of the more prominent non royals. 

I'm pretty sure even Xander's Japanese VA wanted Julian, so I'm surprised they didn't just go for him honestly

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 3:29 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Not true.

Plenty of Mystery of the Emblem content was included with Shadow Dragon in Warriors, nothing was stopping them from adding Sheena.

Horace is a dramatic character in the remake and is fairly popular.

Koei was done weird and unexpected joke characters such as a generic punk in Hokuto musou. Nothing was stopping from adding someone like Roger, the comic relief of Shadow Dragon.

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Not true.

Plenty of Mystery of the Emblem content was included with Shadow Dragon in Warriors, nothing was stopping them from adding Sheena.

Horace is a dramatic character in the remake and is fairly popular.

Koei was done weird and unexpected joke characters such as a generic punk in Hokuto musou. Nothing was stopping from adding someone like Roger, the comic relief of Shadow Dragon.

Ah yeah. I completely forgot about Sheena. I guess she technically works although not to the extend of Hardin. 

Horace would be a weird choice because the games themselves handled him in a really weird way that ensure little people know of him. The gaiden requirements in Shadow Dragon were so bizarre that very few players probably reached his chapter without deliberately trying. He's not locked behind that nonsense in New Mystery but the West didn't get New mystery so he must be almost a complete unknown in the West. With this in mind he would be hard to put into a crossover.

Roger could technically work purely as a joke but there are better options for joke characters like Arthur or even Kellam. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor