Chaos reigns when I take the reins! - Let's play Tear Ring saga, Ironman mode, while being terrible at Fire Emblem!

Saint Rubenio

37 minutes ago, Pengaius said:

Trust me, it won't. Fe4 is suuuuper tedious, and it has something even worse than a turnwheel, in game save scumming at the start of every turn, meaning you can undo literally any screwup with an infinite number of uses. The story is great for 5 chapters (even if it is a bit minimalistic) then it dumps, and one tenth of the entire game is desert level. It has what I would consider the worst replay value of every game in the series, as unless you do a deliberate challenge run, the first half is going to be the same every time you start over, and the second half is going to be mostly the same, because there's never a deployment limit so you don't get to make fun strategies. If you like mindless every enemy is going to die to one unit you'll love this. 

All right that's three people still standing on this decommissioned ship.

You've put all of my fears for the game into one neat paragraph. I want to try it out, when I finish my current FE12 run (that seems to be me all the time, doesn't it...), if only because I think it's not right that I've gone this long without playing it. But yeah, personally, I don't really have too high hopes for it. Maybe I'll post some thoughts when Hawkwing next replies, for all three of us still here.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

I believe that Clive is usually considered "bad" simply because he's average and because his resistance noticeably sucks more than usual. He's never been a top performer for me, but I still get a lot of mileage out of him, especially when Mathilda is being brought up to speed. It helps that Echoes allows you to field everyone, so he can still participate in battles and gain experience instead of warming the bench. It's one of my favorite things about the game, actually.

As for Luthier, I believe he's considered "bad" because he has a high skill growth and low attack growth in a game where magic doesn't use skill outside of critical hits and critical hits are common due to the enemy rarely having a luck stat. Delthea may have given me a definition of "magical nuke", but I still get a use out of Luthier, because magic in general hits like a truck in this game.

To be honest, of all the characters in the game... the two I've never had work out for me as "good enough to take into the endgame" were Luthier and Nomah. Nomah for obvious reasons. Clive... when I took him into the endgame, it was a time he got speed blessed. Consequently he was better than Mathilda in strength.. and almost as fast. Sure... his resistance was still bad... but everyone's resistance is bad in this game.

If you haven't noticed already, Echoes has an achievement system of sorts. One of them is beating the game without losing anyone on Hard.

Also, any thoughts on the turnwheel in this game?

The one I keep meaning to get is Blitzkreig... but every time I do it I lose motivation. Doing LTC runs... kind of drains me. Like I feel like the fun is being sucked out because I can't have certain fights I want to see (like say Clive vs Fernand as per the cinematic). I guess I just like the effect. Also it lets me get use out of slower units.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If I finish the game at all, it's already going to be a miracle. Nuibaba's abode has singlehandedly killed all enjoyment I got out of it. I was only able to finish the map by killing the cantor, retreating, killing Nuibaba, retreating again, and then dealing with the remaining enemies. Took me like 5 or 6 days to do all that (admittedly, I never lasted too long before dropping the game in frustration).

...I revived Silque at the fountain (alongside Clair and Faye, the other sacrifices of Marla's skirmish), but realized that the only way I'd get any use out of her was if I promoted her immediately. Thus, I kept the last mage low on health using Alm's subdue and grinded her up to level 12 at the abode.

In my impatience, I screwed up and Alm died. When she was at level 11 with 99 experience.

I don't think I've ever gotten such morbid pleasure out of purposely murdering one of my units. That weak bitch can go be useless in hell. Heck if I care, too. Tatiana will do her job 10 times better than her if I ever continue.

Yeah... my go to plan with the abode is warping someone in to strike, then using rescue to warp them out before enemy phase. That requires a level 8 Silque and a level 10 cleric Faye. But... it works. Also a really cheap way to beat on another boss I could name. It's the cheapest damn tactic I ever devised... but well...Medusa calls for low risk-tactics.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I doubt it. There are only so many ways to say "I'm gonna kill him". And the original line was "Don't worry, Celica. I'll crush these bastards". Quite different, no?

"I'll defenestrate that piece of garbage from the 15th story", "I'll douse that man in the venom of a dozen serpents", "I'll drown that miscreant in a pool of his own urine", "That vermin will hang using his own entrails in place of hemp". "I'll snuff out your miserable life like a flickering candle caught in a gale"

Uhhh disturbed examples aside... point is you can come up with enough variants on it to keep it fresh if you just add some fancy language/hint of how they plan to do the deed to the statement. Indeed, doing so helps develop what type of character they are... as does not doing so. After all, a character of a greater vocabulary with a sense of superiority might go for the candle analogue. A standard "I'll kill you" might be all a common thug or someone not used to wishing death upon others might come up with. Even then, you can play with it to show fear,anger, hesitation by how they say it. Stutters to show a lack of of confidence. Screaming to show anger, or possibly insecurity as they attempt to psyche themselves up. Spacing to show hesitation.

54 minutes ago, Pengaius said:

Trust me, it won't. Fe4 is suuuuper tedious, and it has something even worse than a turnwheel, in game save scumming at the start of every turn, meaning you can undo literally any screwup with an infinite number of uses. The story is great for 5 chapters (even if it is a bit minimalistic) then it dumps, and one tenth of the entire game is desert level. It has what I would consider the worst replay value of every game in the series, as unless you do a deliberate challenge run, the first half is going to be the same every time you start over, and the second half is going to be mostly the same, because there's never a deployment limit so you don't get to make fun strategies. If you like mindless every enemy is going to die to one unit you'll love this. 

Yeah... I kind of remember I've actually fallen asleep mid-chapter in that game. Then again... the chapters being the size they are it's not like they were intended to be played in one hit. It' like if you played the "chapters" in Gaiden/Echoes in one hit instead of breaking the sessions up. I kind of like the chapters being something I do in one hit so I don't forget what I'm doing while I sleep.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

All right that's three people still standing on this decommissioned ship.

You've put all of my fears for the game into one neat paragraph. I want to try it out, when I finish my current FE12 run (that seems to be me all the time, doesn't it...), if only because I think it's not right that I've gone this long without playing it. But yeah, personally, I don't really have too high hopes for it. Maybe I'll post some thoughts when Hawkwing next replies, for all three of us still here.

Make it four.
I'd also ask how Luigi's Mansion 3 was for your money.... but I can hazard a reasonable guess.

Spoiler

In my own opinion it nicely tied together many of the best aspects of the first two games... while also adding  enough new stuff to make it work and dropping some of the dud ideas (those camera angle analysis bits from Dark Moon for example). My biggest problem in the game may have been the slow start to getting variety on ghosts beyond the simple blue ghosts (whose official name I can't recall). By the end (okay, by the end of "Floor 3" ) of it the game turned into "I'll just clear one more floor before I stop playing" and I couldn't stop until I had to. I did kind of regret the absence of those balloon berries from the second game... but I admit it would have been hard to do that in co-op mode. Of a mixed blessing is it's length. It was pretty easy to replay the first one in full, and the second one's missions could be replayed. Having to play from the start to do favorite bosses is a bit of a pill to swallow... but at the same time there wasn't anything I actively disliked. I'd just like to be able to revisit the 13 floor's boss more easily.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If I finish the game at all, it's already going to be a miracle. Nuibaba's abode has singlehandedly killed all enjoyment I got out of it. I was only able to finish the map by killing the cantor, retreating, killing Nuibaba, retreating again, and then dealing with the remaining enemies. Took me like 5 or 6 days to do all that (admittedly, I never lasted too long before dropping the game in frustration).

...I revived Silque at the fountain (alongside Clair and Faye, the other sacrifices of Marla's skirmish), but realized that the only way I'd get any use out of her was if I promoted her immediately. Thus, I kept the last mage low on health using Alm's subdue and grinded her up to level 12 at the abode.

In my impatience, I screwed up and Alm died. When she was at level 11 with 99 experience.

I don't think I've ever gotten such morbid pleasure out of purposely murdering one of my units. That weak bitch can go be useless in hell. Heck if I care, too. Tatiana will do her job 10 times better than her if I ever continue.

It's as cheap as ever, but when the game's design began to plummet, it's what got me through. Through to Nuibaba's Abode, so it could kill the game for me anyway...

I... don't think I'll ever replay this game. I can only hope FE4 turns out better when I get around to playing it. The last three FE games that I've tried out have consistently been contenders for the last spot on my ranking.

You know what, I was afraid of that happening. It's a game that really gets too archaic and you have to be on its wavelength. 

Nuibaba's an awful map anyways (One of.... two I had to do more than once on my HM playthrough), there's only a handful of ways to handle it (Silque with summon being one of the most useful). 

Maybe they expected you to grind the Hexlock Shield for Earth's Kiss before facing Nuibaba, so you only take quarter damage from Hel.

In the original game, the Shield would reduce all magic spells to 10% accuracy. So it's very obvious that it's meant to be the key to beating Nuibaba. But if you get unlucky and get hit anyway, you're screwed. So not sure which version of the item is more effective in that regard.

Echoes definitely has more options here at least. You can Rescue or Silence and Demon Fighters half magic damage the same way the Hexlock Shield does. You can use Longbows to easier snipe the enemies inside the mansion and you can just flatout outrange Nuibaba with the Parthia's Trance Shot. There are probably some other useful arts too, like Windsweep maybe.
But in the original game, the Magic Shield is really all you got.

Edited by BrightBow

Part 78 - The LP is dead but everyone is back for some reason so fuck it

51 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

To be honest, of all the characters in the game... the two I've never had work out for me as "good enough to take into the endgame" were Luthier and Nomah. Nomah for obvious reasons. Clive... when I took him into the endgame, it was a time he got speed blessed. Consequently he was better than Mathilda in strength.. and almost as fast. Sure... his resistance was still bad... but everyone's resistance is bad in this game.

Luthier's kicking ass pretty legendarily in my run. He's a consistent match for his sister, while having more range than her and more charm to boot. Easy pickings makes me smile every time. Nomah is a difficult case, but he has his uses, as a mage wth sagittae.

Silque is dead.

"I'll defenestrate that piece of garbage from the 15th story", "I'll douse that man in the venom of a dozen serpents", "I'll drown that miscreant in a pool of his own urine", "That vermin will hang using his own entrails in place of hemp". "I'll snuff out your miserable life like a flickering candle caught in a gale"

Uhhh disturbed examples aside... point is you can come up with enough variants on it to keep it fresh if you just add some fancy language/hint of how they plan to do the deed to the statement. Indeed, doing so helps develop what type of character they are... as does not doing so. After all, a character of a greater vocabulary with a sense of superiority might go for the candle analogue. A standard "I'll kill you" might be all a common thug or someone not used to wishing death upon others might come up with. Even then, you can play with it to show fear,anger, hesitation by how they say it. Stutters to show a lack of of confidence. Screaming to show anger, or possibly insecurity as they attempt to psyche themselves up. Spacing to show hesitation.

Of course you'd return to the thread just so you could scientifically pick apart a completely innocuous statement.

I'd also ask how Luigi's Mansion 3 was for your money....

It was amaz--

but I can hazard a reasonable guess.

Yeah, it's exactly what you think. My most heartfelt recommendation. It's better than Three Houses!

Entirely agree with your summary, too. Currently in the middle of my second run, this time every saturday with a friend. Coop is great. This game's great. It's the second best game ever, after Berwick Saga.

Aethin, please return as well as everyone else in the thread and release a Berwick update. There's no hurry, none at all, I'm just in extreme pain.

27 minutes ago, Dayni said:

You know what, I was afraid of that happening. It's a game that really gets too archaic and you have to be on its wavelength. 

Yeah, I suppose so. For what it's worth, though, I think it beats Three Houses and Path of Radiance. As shitty as the maps are, they beat Three Houses's pathetic excuse for map design, and FE9 is the most boring FE I've ever had the displeasure of playing, so yeah. It's better than those!

4 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Echoes definitely has more options here at least. You can Rescue or Silence and Demon Fighters half magic damage the same way the Hexlock Shield does. You can use Longbows to easier snipe the enemies inside the mansion and you can just flatout outrange Nuibaba with the Parthia's Trance Shot. There are probably some other useful arts too, like Windsweep maybe.

Or, you can abuse the game's craptastic "reset-except-better-because-enemies-remain-dead" mechanic. Which is even more bullshit than the turnwheel, but at that point it was that or drop the game. And I've gone like over a week without touching the game, so I may end up doing both anyway.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Or, you can abuse the game's craptastic "reset-except-better-because-enemies-remain-dead" mechanic. Which is even more bullshit than the turnwheel, but at that point it was that or drop the game. And I've gone like over a week without touching the game, so I may end up doing both anyway.

I used retreat only to get green units off the map. Yes, that is actually a thing and it's a holdover from Gaiden!

Just didn't feel right otherwise. 😛

I would argue however Tower of Duma might actually be worse than Nuibaba. It's like all the worst flaws of the dungeons in SoV combined with insane forced fights. I don't pretend I hadn't grinded before, but that just hurt me.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, I suppose so. For what it's worth, though, I think it beats Three Houses and Path of Radiance. As shitty as the maps are, they beat Three Houses's pathetic excuse for map design, and FE9 is the most boring FE I've ever had the displeasure of playing, so yeah. It's better than those!

Big OOOOOF.

PoR is pretty simple gameplay wise, somehow easier than SS. 3H is still boxed, mainly because a Switch has yet to arrive. 

@The Roger The Paladin I did Blitzkrieg on Normal Casual, it was still a pain in the head at times.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Luthier's kicking ass pretty legendarily in my run. He's a consistent match for his sister, while having more range than her and more charm to boot. Easy pickings makes me smile every time. Nomah is a difficult case, but he has his uses, as a mage wth sagittae.

Luthier is easier to use and Excalibur gives him a potential one round of any enemy, but once delthea gets her attack rolling and her better spells she becomes a glass super cannon, Nomah is useful for sagittae chip and some healing here and there but that's honestly it. 

Silque is dead.

Silque, more like Suque

FE9 is the most boring FE I've ever had the displeasure of playing, so yeah. It's better than those!

Don't worry it won't be for long. 

I always use reset to kill all of Sonya's witches, then double back to kill Dean, as well as use it to kill all of Jerome and Zeke's men to optimise exp gain without technically grinding. But yeah retreat is busted. I do like the turn wheel but it should only be like undo one turn, like 3 times a map at most. 

Just post your current fe12 play through as is and lets all act like it was an fe12 lets play the whole time. 

12 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Silque is dead.

7 hours ago, Pengaius said:

Luthier is easier to use and Excalibur gives him a potential one round of any enemy, but once delthea gets her attack rolling and her better spells she becomes a glass super cannon, Nomah is useful for sagittae chip and some healing here and there but that's honestly it. 

Well, the catch is the final map is the time you actually are forced to bench units and you feel it (as dungeon maps for the most part aren't exactly going to take much effort). Sure it's still a lot of deployment slots, but someone's going to get cut. In my case it's consistently been Nomah and Luthier. Nomah obviously being chip damage/healing is going to do an inferior job to someone who is specialized in healing or who can one round/do more damage. Luthier tends to be cut because of having less magic than whatever other mage options I have between two teams. Still my intent to get a run where he does the job one day.

Of course you'd return to the thread just so you could scientifically pick apart a completely innocuous statement.

Actually, I was hoping I'd give you some ideas for your next LP on villain threats. Mostly because I want to see that candle in a gale line used somewhere.

Recently having returned to Three Houses after a lengthy break, I found Silver Snow's final map was actually void of pointless treasure chests. In my honest opinion, that makes it the true final map, and suits that I played it last.

I... never actually realized that worked that way. Here's to finding out about an exploit I never used. Not that I'm much better for using warp to fuck up Nuibaba's abode for years. Which reminds me, I think the "half damage from all spells" on Dread Fighter also applies to spells that usually reduce HP to 1 (Medusa)... allowing you to have them survive with a bit over half their HP left if they get hit.

12 hours ago, Dayni said:

@The Roger The Paladin I did Blitzkrieg on Normal Casual, it was still a pain in the head at times.

It really is. Though I could drop to normal... I stuck to classic. It kind of goes into "achievements that aren't fun to achieve".

7 hours ago, Pengaius said:

I always use reset to kill all of Sonya's witches, then double back to kill Dean, as well as use it to kill all of Jerome and Zeke's men to optimise exp gain without technically grinding. But yeah retreat is busted. I do like the turn wheel but it should only be like undo one turn, like 3 times a map at most. 

That is one extremely murderous Butter-man.

16 hours ago, Dayni said:

PoR is pretty simple gameplay wise, somehow easier than SS.

Since I played PoR, it always mystifies me that people call FE8 the easiest game in the series. That ain't right. I know there's grinding, but even then, it requires that you go out of your way and spend some time killing enemies, not to mention the cost of weapon uses. Pretty minimal cost, but there's a cost. FE9 hands you grinding experience, for free. And then there's the enemies, who are even weaker than those from FE8, and the units, who are even stronger than the FE8 bunch. I'll admit, the earlygame is more difficult than FE8's, but the difficulty falls off hard later on, to the point that I could not bring myself to continue because it was such a mindless bore.

At least FE8 has stuff like Phantom Ship, Father and Son, Last Hope and the early fog map with the spider. What does FE9 have? Unless the difficulty skyrocketed immediately after Tauroneo's chapter and I just barely missed it, I don't know.

11 hours ago, Pengaius said:

Just post your current fe12 play through as is and lets all act like it was an fe12 lets play the whole time. 

Hello everyone, and welcome to this part of Let's Play FE12.

Vkzrpyyk o

Today, we ponder on my horrendous unit choices for Maniac difficulty.

3 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Recently having returned to Three Houses after a lengthy break, I found Silver Snow's final map was actually void of pointless treasure chests. In my honest opinion, that makes it the true final map, and suits that I played it last.

Whoa, it does not have chests? Incredible! It must've taken the entire dev team's intellectual prowess put together to reach the conclusion that, y'know, chests in the final chapter are dumb! Am I proud of 'em! Now they just need to fix the rest of the game! Oh, but of course, the sauna and Anna are far more important. Gotta have that sweet, sweet fanservice! It's what FE is all about, after all!

3 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

That is one extremely murderous Butter-man.

I mean, he's not the one that murdered one of his own units out of frustration for her low speed.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
4 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I mean, he's not the one that murdered one of his own units out of frustration for her low speed.

When she says "the mother walks with me" it's because if she ran Silque wouldn't keep up.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Whoa, it does not have chests? Incredible! It must've taken the entire dev team's intellectual prowess put together to reach the conclusion that, y'know, chests in the final chapter are dumb! Am I proud of 'em! Now they just need to fix the rest of the game

I miss not seeing the same maps repeatedly myself. That said, I'd put up with even having to do the desert map in the story if I didn't have to play the second to last chapter of Silver Snow/Verdant Wind ever. The whole aesthetic kills the mood something fierce, and the dubstep music gives me a migraine. I can put up with a lot of bullshit or mediocrity. Enough so that I'm trying to get all the support conversations... but knowing that I'm going through at least one more verdant wind run to complete Claude's horrifies me conceptually.

30 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
Vkzrpyyk o

I don't know... I'm sure you could have come up with something worse. Like entirety of the wolf-guard, Rickard as a combat unit, Est, and Bantu worse. Healer choices don't even matter when your guys are hard pressed to survive enemy phase.

39 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Bord and Cain are interesting choices, but astram, mwah. No Abel though 😞

33 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I miss not seeing the same maps repeatedly myself. That said, I'd put up with even having to do the desert map in the story if I didn't have to play the second to last chapter of Silver Snow/Verdant Wind ever. The whole aesthetic kills the mood something fierce, and the dubstep music gives me a migraine. I can put up with a lot of bullshit or mediocrity. Enough so that I'm trying to get all the support conversations... but knowing that I'm going through at least one more verdant wind run to complete Claude's horrifies me conceptually.

Ah, Claude. He was the one that solved my love-hate relationship with Three Houses.

Now I just hate it. Gotta thank him for that.

Well, more than him, that shittastic Maddening!Chapter 13. The worst FE map I've ever played, by a very long shot. People like to talk shit about Kaga, but personally, I think 3H Chapter 13 is more of a beginner's trap than anything in Thracia. Yes, I just said that. If you don't know it's coming, and make the mistake of wanting to use units that aren't your original class, you're fucked. You're also fucked if you let units die (y'know, the way FE was always meant to be played?), if your og students get RNG screwed, or if you pick classes that aren't overpowered, like Wyvern Rider. Guess who went into Chapter 13 with each and every one of these boxes checked? RNG screwed Claude and Lorenz, Mage Byleth and Ignatz, dead Hilda, and a map filled to the brim with enemies that one-rounded everybody ensured that the chapter became literally unbeatable. And I do mean, literally. It has never happened to me before in FE, and that says a lot, I think.

And yet people still defend it! That shitpile of horrible game design! I swear, if I read that "you're their teacher if you don't train your og class it's your failure as their teacher and you should be punished by a crap map" argument one more time, I'm going to burst. I didn't even neglect my class that much. Hilda died, and Marianne was rather underleveled, but aside from that? How is it my fault that Claude and Lorenz got RNG screwed? Why should I be punished for deciding to make my Byleth and Ignatz Mages? The map became literally unbeatable. Everyone got one-rounded, and against like 50 enemies, there was absolutely nothing I could've done. When you consider that you can get away with using the likes of Est in FE12 Lunatic (as proven by a LP by... I think it was Deltre? It's on Youtube), it really is sad.

Well, I suppose I could've gone back, lowered the difficulty to hard, and finished Chapter 12 again. I did have a save before that. But fuck that. I'd rather never touch the game again. Hard is a walk in the park, bullshit moves aside, and maddening is horrendously designed. There's no way to play this game that won't leave me with a sour taste in my mouth. It almost makes me want to put 3H below FE9. But at least I had some fun with 3H when the dev team wasn't on crack, so that's better than what I got out of that other borefest.

As for Claude himself, I like to describe him as the opposite of the Marth Lord: Whereas those have no personality, but all the plot importance (a debatable description, but we're talking stereotypes here), Claude has a ton of personality, but is otherwise naught but a glorified minor character. Seriously, his role in Azure Moon is just embarrassing. So I'm supposed to think this guy's a strategical genius, when the only times I see him, he's getting bamboozled into attacking his own potential allies, he's betting all of his money on a very mentally unstable man coming to save his ass, and he's leaving the fight for reasons he does not bother to explain? He's nothing in Silver Wind and Crimson Whatevercan'tremember, and even in his own route he barely does anything more than just... exist, and talk about schemes that never amount to anything because he never, ever does anything that is even slightly shrewd. He's all hot air and empty promises.

Kinda pisses me off that people think he's this great protagonist just because he's hot and his voice actor is great, when really, he's a completely useless character.

...Can you tell I've been aching to get all that out of my system for a long time? I've got to thank you for reviving the thread, Hawkwing. It gave me the opportunity to spew all of that out.

41 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I don't know... I'm sure you could have come up with something worse. Like entirety of the wolf-guard, Rickard as a combat unit, Est, and Bantu worse. Healer choices don't even matter when your guys are hard pressed to survive enemy phase.

Ah yes, the Wolfguard. I used Roshea in my LP, actually. As meh as I feel about that one nowadays, the unit choices were very Saint Rubenio indeed. Though, maybe I would've used Malice rather than Athena if I did it today.

41 minutes ago, Pengaius said:

Bord and Cain are interesting choices, but astram, mwah. No Abel though 😞

I've used Abel before. He's workable. More than Astram, I can tell you that much. Fucking Asstram, the Swordmaster that cannot double.

Bord I'd never bothered with, so I decided to give him a chance. He's nearly capped strength and speed as a Berserker. I couldn't be any happier with him.

As for Cain, his strength is lowish, but everything else is godly, so I am happy.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Whoa, it does not have chests? Incredible! It must've taken the entire dev team's intellectual prowess put together to reach the conclusion that, y'know, chests in the final chapter are dumb! Am I proud of 'em! Now they just need to fix the rest of the game! Oh, but of course, the sauna and Anna are far more important. Gotta have that sweet, sweet fanservice! It's what FE is all about, after all!

Oh yeah that, pointless chests have always annoyed me, what's up with them?

Actually on another note, who kills every enemy in one of the last Three Houses maps? I sure as hell don't because it's boring lol.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, more than him, that shittastic Maddening!Chapter 13

Yep. Not gonna argue that point. You're exactly right. I managed the Silver snow version only using 3 from my original house... and that was barely. I seriously would have been screwed if I didn't train Petra as a Wyvern Rider despite my plan to use Seteth. A map that can potentially act a impassable barrier if you go about things in a slightly different way from what the developers intended should not be a feature of a game that's supposed to be replayable.

He's all hot air and empty promises.

Valid point when he literally just disappears post timeskip in Silver Snow apart from a letter telling you he'll provide a distraction while you take the bridge and having been marked as disappearing after the battle of Gronder Field (which you don't attend). Dedue has a bigger post time-skip role in that route despite only having the same role he had in Golden Deer. Also Claude's Crimson Flower self essentially amounts to "you decide his fate because it's not even important to the story beyond the fact he loses". Essentially, he is as you said, a minor character that the game attempts to sell as a major one. Might have worked better if it weren't made painfully obvious that his absence changes nothing in Silver Snow (some green units in Fort Merceus, the absence of Gronder Field, and the final battle aside... only one of which ties back to him).

Ah yes, the Wolfguard. I used Roshea in my LP, actually. As meh as I feel about that one nowadays, the unit choices were very Saint Rubenio indeed. Though, maybe I would've used Malice rather than Athena if I did it today.

I remember. He came in to replace one of the Sable Knights when they died (though I admit I forget which). Who in turn had replaced Cecille. Because apparently the Swordsmaster class was cursed. Not as cursed as it must of been in Fe6. Maybe it's because you hate the Navarre archetype so much you subconsciously kill people in that class line (Rutger being less so)?

Fucking Asstram, the Swordmaster that cannot double.

"Astram"
"Astra"
One can't even double, the other hits you five times. Typos make a world of difference.

33 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Oh yeah that, pointless chests have always annoyed me, what's up with them?

Actually on another note, who kills every enemy in one of the last Three Houses maps? I sure as hell don't because it's boring lol.

Well, there's some motivation to kill everyone (or mostly everyone) in Verdant Wind and Silver Snow, given certain enemies are basically power sources for the final boss, so removing all enemies becomes logical. Crimson Flower takes the opposite effect with the final boss constantly increasing the attack power of certain units in a way that stacks. This basically means that killing all enemies or going after chests will result in your objective getting harder. Especially with reinforcements being a thing. As for Azure Moon... you don't need to... but I did anyway.

As for the chests themselves, I can explain the ones from Azure Moon or Crimson Flower as being because both the Castle at Enbarr and Fhirdiad serve as non-final maps in other routes, and the chests and contents remain identical. This absolutely leaves the question why there are treasure chests on the map at the end of Verdant Wind... which is unique. Unless it was going to be used as a non-final map elsewhere this should not be the case.

53 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

The only route I've (and ever will, most likely) finished is Azure Moon, and... yeah, no. I just wanted new game + access for Maddening, so I only killed as much as I had to in order to make a break for the final boss. There's really no incentive to do any more. What could you require from enemies at that point? Experience? Pfah.

16 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I remember. He came in to replace one of the Sable Knights when they died (though I admit I forget which). Who in turn had replaced Cecille. Because apparently the Swordsmaster class was cursed. Not as cursed as it must of been in Fe6.

It was Robert. He did a fine job, but eventually perished alongside Dice to the final battle (not the actual final battle, the chapter named "the final battle"). At that point I was losing hope of getting to play with a swordie, so I just said "fuck it, Roshea it is". If I hadn't been biased against him, Vyland probably would've been the better choice, but... yeah. Vyland.

Come to think about it, I've had no luck at all when it comes to swords, have I? I lost all my dedicated swordies in FE12, all my swordies (period) in FE6, and... heck, even here in TRS, I lost a bunch of 'em! I can only hope next time's the one to break the curse.

16 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Maybe it's because you hate the Navarre archetype so much you subconsciously kill people in that class line (Rutger being less so)?

"Less so" is a bit of an understatement, considering I disarmed him, threw him in the middle of all the enemies, and took great pleasure in watching him bleed. And then I murdered his damisel in distress as well, to save the game's Plain Jane. So she could die much later on.

FE6 was a tragedy from start to finish.

23 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

As for the chests themselves, I can explain the ones from Azure Moon or Crimson Flower as being because both the Castle at Enbarr and Fhirdiad serve as non-final maps in other routes, and the chests and contents remain identical.

Aha, I see. Really lazy, but fair enough, I guess--

23 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

This absolutely leaves the question why there are treasure chests on the map at the end of Verdant Wind... which is unique. Unless it was going to be used as a non-final map elsewhere this should not be the case.

...son of a bitch-- how difficult can it be to remove four chest tiles!? How many lines of code could it possibly require!?

Since I played PoR, it always mystifies me that people call FE8 the easiest game in the series. That ain't right. I know there's grinding, but even then, it requires that you go out of your way and spend some time killing enemies, not to mention the cost of weapon uses. Pretty minimal cost, but there's a cost. FE9 hands you grinding experience, for free. And then there's the enemies, who are even weaker than those from FE8, and the units, who are even stronger than the FE8 bunch. I'll admit, the earlygame is more difficult than FE8's, but the difficulty falls off hard later on, to the point that I could not bring myself to continue because it was such a mindless bore.

At least FE8 has stuff like Phantom Ship, Father and Son, Last Hope and the early fog map with the spider. What does FE9 have? Unless the difficulty skyrocketed immediately after Tauroneo's chapter and I just barely missed it, I don't know.

I mean, if by skyrocketed you mean you get the pitfall and boulder maps, maybe? Aside from BK (which is actually a bit RNG) and Ashnard (which doesn't even matter outside of hard) I wouldn't call it a difficult endgame at all. The weird part, Maniac mode (Which is Japan only) is difficult, but that's because there's too many enemies. Also, BExp is actually not that bad a mechanic, allowing you to try to use units who are left behind, much as it's far more important in RD. You also have to earn much of it (to be fair, again that won't be as hard in PoR) and some of the goals are opposite to killing every last one of the enemy.

Edited by Dayni

59 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The only route I've (and ever will, most likely) finished is Azure Moon, and... yeah, no. I just wanted new game + access for Maddening, so I only killed as much as I had to in order to make a break for the final boss. There's really no incentive to do any more. What could you require from enemies at that point? Experience? Pfah.

Yeah by Azure Moon I was already burned out and I wanted to end the chapter as quick as possible.

Same thing happened in awakening where I was so tired and wanted to beat the game already that I let the staff girl at the start die in the last map. It's funny how these long winded battles that are supposed to be the epitome of epic, like fort arianrhod and the one where you kill the death knight, but instead most people groan at them and warpskip them or something.

1 hour ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

As for the chests themselves, I can explain the ones from Azure Moon or Crimson Flower as being because both the Castle at Enbarr and Fhirdiad serve as non-final maps in other routes, and the chests and contents remain identical.

Well I guess that makes sense, but it's lazy design imo.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...son of a bitch-- how difficult can it be to remove four chest tiles!? How many lines of code could it possibly require!?

Well it's less the ease of removal and more the, we don't want to have 2 versions of this map in the code, because that takes up space, especially since we have to code an overview and a close up of each map, that's actually one of the reasons that 3H reuses so many of its maps, its to stop the game tanking the entire Switch, while still having it look pretty. But they probably did plan on using the final map twice, but just didn't (go figure) anyway, cut the team a little slack, it was a fire emblem game off handheld, of course it was gonna be rough. 

I like how this has become a "Ruben hates on popular FE games" thread.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

The weird part, Maniac mode (Which is Japan only) is difficult, but that's because there's too many enemies.

Ah yes, the terrible kind of difficulty. Reminds me of a certain other game, protagonized by a blonde guy with issues, a white-haired girl with issues, and Seteth.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

You also have to earn much of it (to be fair, again that won't be as hard in PoR) and some of the goals are opposite to killing every last one of the enemy.

In my experience with PoR, most of the latter wasn't worth as much as slaughtering the enemy. If this was something like FE12, where the enemy's incredibly scary, it'd be an interesting tradeoff, but in PoR, where everybody one-rounds everything, there's just no point in not killing everything.

3 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Same thing happened in awakening where I was so tired and wanted to beat the game already that I let the staff girl at the start die in the last map. It's funny how these long winded battles that are supposed to be the epitome of epic, like fort arianrhod and the one where you kill the death knight, but instead most people groan at them and warpskip them or something.

Well, the problem with big battles is that they tend to be slaughterfests and nothing else. To be fun, a map needs either more than that, or for the opposition to be scary enough to make the slaughter a real challenge. It's my biggest problem with most of 3H's maps. Not only do the enemies fail to impress (in hard mode, I'm not talking maddening because that's just plain badly designed), secondary objectives are few and far between, and the few that do exist are often way too easy. Not to mention how simple it is to break a lot of the chapters (oh no, what a nightmare of a map! Enemy commander Cornelia has EVAs to use against us! Too bad she's standing literally like 10 tiles away from our busted archers! We also have self-regenerating warp and staves that increase our magic's range! Oh, and did I mention our OP fliers?).

1 hour ago, Pengaius said:

anyway, cut the team a little slack, it was a fire emblem game off handheld, of course it was gonna be rough.

Not only that, but the unforgiving deadlines did nothing to help. Right, I'm sorry. I probably shouldn't be so harsh on the game. I wouldn't be this harsh, but after months and months of people worshipping this game as the next coming of Christ (and, needless to say, the single greatest FE ever), well, I've grown to really despise it, because it does not deserve its popularity. It leeched off being "better than fates" and actually having marketing for once in this damn franchise's life, and that's about it. Not to say that there is nothing to love about it, there really is, but there's just too many negative stuff for me to properly enjoy the positive things.

Well it's less the ease of removal and more the, we don't want to have 2 versions of this map in the code, because that takes up space, especially since we have to code an overview and a close up of each map, that's actually one of the reasons that 3H reuses so many of its maps, its to stop the game tanking the entire Switch, while still having it look pretty. But they probably did plan on using the final map twice, but just didn't (go figure)

...now that I've apologized and explained my stance in a civilized manner, allow me to go right back to being an asshole:

stop the game tanking the entire Switch, while still having it look pretty.

They failed miserably. Not only is the game hideous - quite possibly the most terrible-looking game on the console, developed by a big-shot company at least - but it also runs like shit despite the fps cap. In a way, it's quite impressive.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

RGw3b30CcxrR69eYsAl1uRIroAKiuBdobxlm9Iydumlw6krcyWnGiTVwgxuqm8HxFkTsIEZzp1K7m75wMADxdYr4d_G4W2f77MWPdPwIrtKTPYe1S0kspfO9SuBtq-Ab0-OYfqO5

It's amazing how many jokes I can make from these comics. As well as how many times it pops into my head when I play the games themselves.

On 12/8/2019 at 6:56 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, I've got to hand it to you, man. I admire your dedication. The LP's been over for ages, and yet here you are, still determined to see things through. Just barely avoiding the necroposting time limit, to boot!

I said I would see a let's play to the end, and I'm not quitting now!

That, and I read the final update at work during lunch break (and I wasn't lost! Yay!), so I should be able to complete it without spending five hours on it. Although life may still throw a curve-ball at the last second.

EDIT: I started writing this at 3:40-ish. I really need to stop getting distracted when finding music videos on youtube.

They promised that? It was a craptastic failure, then. The tight deadlines strike again!

Maybe I should have specified I was talking about Shadows of Valentia and not Three Houses. The interview can be found on the site, but here's the link to it anyway.

Ah, yes. Nuibaba's abode. I remember my strategy for completing the level was to have Python defeat the bow knight, Mathilda and Grey (as a Dread Fighter) go around one of the corners while the rest of my army dealt with the summoned gargoyles. I baited as many enemy units as I could with Grey and Mathilda, and then had Mathilda dash forward and use the Tempest lance combat art against Nuibaba, who for all her high avoid is thankfully made of tissue. Occasionally, I warp another unit into the main building after that to deal with the rest of the enemy units.

Yeah, as much as I enjoy the game, several of the endgame maps are a pain in the butt. Thankfully, Nuibaba is the worst that Alm encounters in Act 4. I hate Celica's swamp maps, but from what I've seen, TRS doesn't handle them any better.

On 12/8/2019 at 12:10 PM, The Roger The Paladin said:

Funnily enough, Zeke was always the unit I couldn't bring into the endgame. I understand why other's call him great, but he's never turned out to be a top performer for me.

I don't remember if I ever took Luthier or Nomah into the endgame either, but then again for the final map in any game, I just grab the best units and call it a day. Or Chrom, Lucina, and Olivia to end Grima in one or two turns.

14 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Can you tell I've been aching to get all that out of my system for a long time? I've got to thank you for reviving the thread, Hawkwing. It gave me the opportunity to spew all of that out.

You're welcome?

I'm curious on what your thoughts on the 3DS games would be, honestly. I know there would be some aspects you'd love and others you'd hate, but I wonder what your final opinion would come out to be.

And now, Hawkwing Reacts, Without Context, to:

On 10/30/2019 at 7:23 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Part 77 - The calm after the chaos.

Be Warned, there are (Kinda?) Spoilers in here... except everyone who's viewed this thread probably already knows what they are. I just wanted to make an obscure reference.

Anyway, here's the update in list format:

- I only recognize the bosses in the green section, the categories, and the ones wearing fancy hats. And the latter is only because they are wearing fancy hats.

- I originally read "minor(ish) bosses in terms of writing quality" as "minor(ish) asses in terms of writing quality".

- I agree with the best deaths and "Not a boss but should've been" categories.

- For no reason at all, Indy will probably become a LP running gag.

- So... Kaga did the "mouths don't move when the characters talk" first, but then inserted a character that does at the last second? How does that count?

- I really could see Eugen's first reaction be wondering how to hit on what is essentially god(dess).

- Also, the Death Count: E V E R Y O N E got a chuckle out of me.

- Shigen literally finds a way to appear in Dues Ex Machnina land, just to snark at Holmes. Eugen would be proud.

- And not to be outdone, Eugen appears out of nowhere to comment on Runan nailing his love confession.

- I would not be surprised if Claris only told Holmes about the whole "love" thing on the possibility that he would embarrass himself explaining it to others later.

- Ruben's back! Yay!

- Why is Narcus scratching his cheek? What was the thought process behind Juni's portrait? And Juli-IS THAT LUKUUD?!?

- Glad to see Maruj's airplane pose made it into the official artwork.

- Warping powers are revealed long after they would have been useful. Kaga really does know how to annoy his audience. At least you got a ton of use out of Sierra.

- This whole ending sequence is a really great way of giving the final goodbye to characters and wrapping up their individual stories. You don't always get an idea of what a character does with the rest of their life afterwards, but that's an understandable price to pay given how this was set up, and it's not like the epilogues at the end of the each Fire Emblem game don't occasionally suffer from the same issue. It would be awesome if Fire Emblem handled their endings in a similar way, but I do understand why IS hasn't stolen this from Kaga (yet). The series has been pretty heavy on having multiple character endings determined by how the player paired them up, and having to account for all the possibilities would quickly add up. Considering the recent games suffer from overwriting and biting off more than they can chew in the writing department as is, keeping the epilogues limited to title cards may not be such a bad idea at the moment. 

- For as badly as that could have gone, Mintz handled the situation pretty well.

- Hagar follows Kellams routine 12 years before Kellam came into existence. At least the knight had support conversations that acknowledged his existence and went with a different (and funnier) running gag.

- I barely remember Green_Martel and predictably you benched her.

- Also, San still looks like she's swatting flies when going from her portrait to in-game screenshot.

- And after I type the paragraph above, the game shows it accounts for character deaths and presumably different pairings as well. Nice to see character deaths affecting the endings like in Gaiden. (Side-Note: The first time I played Shadow Dragon, I found out that Tiki's ending doesn't change even if Bantu dies, making it ripe for black comedy).

- It's hard to notice, but I think Temujin has some stubble on his chin.

- Well that was probably the best disruption to a wedding I have ever seen. It's also one of Runan's best moments.

- Why does Bud want Rishel's d?

- Both Eugen and Shigen take potshots at Holmes before they leave and I wouldn't have it any other way.

- Yoda is amazing even when he's not spinning his sword around.

- Wait, what's this about Julia and incest?

- Your quick change from warning Holmes to asking for his death got a laugh out of me.

- WAIT, THE MIDDLE-EARTH ELF JEDI THAT IS ALSO BATMAN'S BUTLER IS MEL'S FATHER?!?!?!

Was, uh, was that foreshadowed at all?

- Dying after nursing someone back to health is one heck of a dramatic irony.

- Maruj really is this games puppy to kick.

- Their converstations started out awkward, but after Holmes found his long lost daughter and brought her back home dressed in a revealing outfit, which she only got in because the dumb protagonist got drunk, I don't see how Lionheart can react in any other way but awkwardly and hoping the conversation ends as soon as possible.

- Well that's one way of looking at a character death affecting another character.

- I'm trying to recall if Rishel had any trouble with women misunderstanding his requests beforehand. I remember he wields tapestry sun magic, survived because of video game water, was forced to fight us because Bud's attempt to help him backfired, and met Ahab, but not much else.

- In a single sentence, Juilattisnacordst's grandfather quickly rivaled Kate and Maruj for saddest ending.

- How many shipping wars do you think there would be for Katri X Xeno if this game was more well-known?

- To be fair, Katri wasn't the only one who died.

- I actually did successfully read this in one sitting. Today, in fact. Twice.

- Temuji has a pretty badass backstory, and it's a shame we never get to see him fight.

- Sooooo... Samson's plan starts to fall apart when actually analyzed? Or at least, because the game doesn't show us the finer details.

- Agreed that that double "What?!" was amazing.

-  I was spoiled long ago that Attrom was one of Val's bastards, although I forgot exactly when. It draws some similarities to Val's trying to unload his responsibility unto Holmes.

- Knowingly selling someone into slavery against the most despicable character in the game that only avoids their fate because of plot unlocks more lore? Yay?

Thank you for killing that son of a bitch, by the way.

- WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK, KAGA?!?!?

- An edgelord experiencing character development? It's more likely than you think.

- Wait, so...Law died, and then Morse possessed his body? I thought the dude was being a timelord somewhere. My real question, though, is if this actually adds anything to the story, or if the Laws being one and the same would have worked just fine.

- Maerchen has Kellams ending 12 years before Kellam came into existence. Except this time his support partner really was an asshole.

- It's... definitely interesting to learn the backstory of the emiyu and the legendary names given earlier, and how they screwed up despite how revered they are in the present. As you state, however, it does sound like "Explain a Movie Plot Badly" when summarized and doesn't add a whole lot to the overall story at the end of the day.

- Maruj deserved better. Here's hoping that his life improves offscreen.

- Couldn't resist a Lee pun, could you?

- Marlon! It's great to see you again! Shame Eugen isn't here, but Raphael helps mend that wound.

- I only remember Raffin because of that hair and because his sprite looked like he was nervous about  dropping his sword into his face. Other than that, I assume you didn't use him because he's a good unit.

- Kate deserved better.

- So in one sense, Holmes won the jackpot by being the rightful heir of two kingdoms. On the other hand, he has two birthrights that he didn't ask for. Man, I've said it before, but Val's addition really explains Holmes actions without excusing them.

- Also, knowing that Queen Liza had an affair with Holmes dad makes this next scene... really awkward...

- I see this is the part of the update you started getting tired. You forgot to add Runan's portrait. Don't blame you.

- HAHAHAHAHA!!! I know you were supposed to put your own portrait there, but the fact that I read over half in Runan's voice before realizing it was a mistake got a great laugh out of me. Unless that's in the game officially, which would make the whole thing even better!

-  Runan trying out a job as a comedian. Now there's a thought.

- Shigen shows up to snark at Holmes. Eugen would be proud.

- Is it a bad thing that I asked not "why?" but "how?" in regards to how Shigen got everyone onboard?

- Interestingly enough, "Maeve" means "the cause of great joy" or "she who intoxicates" in Irish.

- Never mind, warping explains everything. Except why she never grabbed someone to act as an improv warp staff in combat.

- Well, that's most certainly one way to end a game. I can see the pros and cons of this kind of setup already.

So that was Tear Ring Saga! It had its high points, as well as its lows, and a lot inbetween. There were things IS stole, things they should probably steal, and things IS was wise to leave alone. Overall, I'm glad to have been a part of this! Even if I dreaded the idea of finding time to comment on some of the updates, they really did brighten my day during one of the busiest times of my life. It's amazing to think that it's been over a year, and how much and how little has changed. Definitely take a break, I need one as well, but I look forward to Berwick saga, no matter if it's on this site or elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Hawkwing said:

Side-Note: The first time I played Shadow Dragon, I found out that Tiki's ending doesn't change even if Bantu dies, making it ripe for black comedy

Somehow I can imagine that was because no one in the playtesters thought to use him either.

- WAIT, THE MIDDLE-EARTH ELF JEDI THAT IS ALSO BATMAN'S BUTLER IS MEL'S FATHER?!?!?!

And by extension The Roger The Paladin's father-in-law. How many roles can you have?

Wait, what's this about Julia and incest?

Shigen was raised by Yoda... and Yoda's biological daughter is Julia. So they're related but not by blood.

- Sooooo... Samson's plan starts to fall apart when actually analyzed? Or at least, because the game doesn't show us the finer details.

Never said it was a good plan. Though I still like the explanation this was him screwing with Holmes by pretending to have been a mastermind the whole time. Which would explain the plot-holes, because he wasn't a master-mind at all and didn't see the flaws.

- Maerchen has Kellams ending 12 years before Kellam came into existence. Except this time his support partner really was an asshole.

Yeah, but so was Maerchen really. So it evens out.

Couldn't resist a Lee pun, could you?

CertainLee not.

- Interestingly enough, "Maeve" means "the cause of great joy" or "she who intoxicates" in Irish.

So it's a traditional name for bar-tenders?

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Not only that, but the unforgiving deadlines did nothing to help. Right, I'm sorry. I probably shouldn't be so harsh on the game. I wouldn't be this harsh, but after months and months of people worshipping this game as the next coming of Christ (and, needless to say, the single greatest FE ever), well, I've grown to really despise it, because it does not deserve its popularity. It leeched off being "better than fates" and actually having marketing for once in this damn franchise's life, and that's about it. Not to say that there is nothing to love about it, there really is, but there's just too many negative stuff for me to properly enjoy the positive things.

We understand. It feels more important to point out the flaws of something that is being viewed in largely a positive light when the flaws are so significant as Chapter 13 Maniac. The chests in final battles can be ignored. Claude's lack of story relevance can be laughed off. But being locked into using the students you started with? Kind of defeats the point of having other units.

1 hour ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

So they're related but not by blood.

Read this as "so they're retarded but not by blood".

9 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm not talking maddening because that's just plain badly designed

Oh my God yes! Why do people praise maddening? And FE13 lunatic? Like they are harder but not in the damn correct way, and people still love it for being harder. All the devs did was slap a half exp gain  restriction and enemies have a millionn stats. Ugh. 

10 hours ago, Pengaius said:

because that takes up space

Now that we're on the topic of space (memory space sadly, not stars, constellations and stuff, would be cool though) , I heard the Switch cartridges can hold up to 64 GB so like, the devs still could add a (good) skyroll and oranges, or make the game not look like a Pokemon game since X and Y, I thought we were in the HD era? So why do I still see pixels on my screen? That's acceptable on my dad's NES, not on the damn Switch.

RGw3b30CcxrR69eYsAl1uRIroAKiuBdobxlm9Iydumlw6krcyWnGiTVwgxuqm8HxFkTsIEZzp1K7m75wMADxdYr4d_G4W2f77MWPdPwIrtKTPYe1S0kspfO9SuBtq-Ab0-OYfqO5

That's basically me, yes.

I originally read "minor(ish) bosses in terms of writing quality" as "minor(ish) asses in terms of writing quality".

I mean, Lentzenheimer is in the list. Name still applies, you just have to remove a couple of guys.

I really could see Eugen's first reaction be wondering how to hit on what is essentially god(dess).

Ih49ob2i oYour powers are only as exceptional as your beauty, Goddess Miradona. To meet one such as you in my lifetime... 'tis truly a blessed day.

Xhpakucv oO-Oh dear... I... I don't know what to...

04edcfbn oOld man!

Ih49ob2i oWhat is it, young idiot?

04edcfbn oYou're speaking to the goddess! T-The goddess of goddesses! Do you want us to be... smitten or something?!

Ih49ob2i oWell, I know I already am smitten...

04edcfbn oFor the love of-- Runan, say something! He's gonna get us all killed!

Xhpakucv oHeehee... no need to fret, mortals. I am... quite pleased, to hear such nice words. Thank you very much!

04edcfbn o...what the heck...

Llibn6rp o...wait for it...

Ih49ob2i oWell, it's the truth! Now, would you like to enlist in my army? Because I'd really like to have you in my army.

Xhpakucv o...pardon me?

Lbm0bevf oThere it is.

I would not be surprised if Claris only told Holmes about the whole "love" thing on the possibility that he would embarrass himself explaining it to others later.

Turns out she's as evil as Eugen. Move over, Zieg, this is the real plottwist of this game.

This whole ending sequence is a really great way of giving the final goodbye to characters and wrapping up their individual stories. You don't always get an idea of what a character does with the rest of their life afterwards, but that's an understandable price to pay given how this was set up, and it's not like the epilogues at the end of the each Fire Emblem game don't occasionally suffer from the same issue. It would be awesome if Fire Emblem handled their endings in a similar way, but I do understand why IS hasn't stolen this from Kaga (yet). The series has been pretty heavy on having multiple character endings determined by how the player paired them up, and having to account for all the possibilities would quickly add up. Considering the recent games suffer from overwriting and biting off more than they can chew in the writing department as is, keeping the epilogues limited to title cards may not be such a bad idea at the moment. 

To be fair, the recent games also suffer from trying to write three or four different stories for a single game. I fail to see what was so wrong with a good ol' linear story.

Why does Bud want Rishel's d?

You're such an innocent man. I love you.

To answer your question, it's because it makes her w

Wait, what's this about Julia and incest?

She can end up with Shigen. Y'know, her brother. I'll take the age gap between her and Garo over that any day, personally.

WAIT, THE MIDDLE-EARTH ELF JEDI THAT IS ALSO BATMAN'S BUTLER IS MEL'S FATHER?!?!?!

Was, uh, was that foreshadowed at all?

Well...

On 1/15/2019 at 4:50 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

zSKevHJ.png

Ujz6qgr.pngUnderstood, Maruj?

DY7Vmlt.png

Slulcp6k oIf you insist... But at the very least, I want you to have this. It's Sylph, my own wind magic.

Kuetqgdh oSylph!? But why would you...

Slulcp6k oThink of it as a memento from me. It's about all I can do for you now...

Kuetqgdh o......

Lgkk36ip o

I actually did successfully read this in one sitting. Today, in fact. Twice.

Yeah, I read through the update myself and it wasn't too difficult. I suppose it seemed heavier when I was transcribing everything by hand.

While on that subject, jeez there are enough typos to solve world hunger, if typos were edible that is. You can really tell I was struggling to finish.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I know you were supposed to put your own portrait there, but the fact that I read over half in Runan's voice before realizing it was a mistake got a great laugh out of me. Unless that's in the game officially, which would make the whole thing even better!

...you can really tell.

X deserved better.

TRS.txt

Interestingly enough, "Maeve" means "the cause of great joy" or "she who intoxicates" in Irish.

Oh, God... dare I ask if Reeve means anything?

...oh, no... it means something in english!

reeve1
/riːv/
noun
noun: reeve; plural noun: reeves

historical
a local official, in particular the chief magistrate of a town or district in Anglo-Saxon England.
  • historical
    an official supervising a landowner's estate.
  • Canadian
    the president of a village or town council.

So, let's go over this one more time: There's the Republic of Reeve, which then became the Kingdom of Reeve, that was named after either the Great Reeve River, the princess Reeve of Reeve, or Reeve, the Jugudi word for "compassionate", and then there's the reeves that preside the councils of the towns of Reeve.

...nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... All right, folks. Hawkwing's finished his replies. This is officially over. We can all move along now and forget about Reeve in general.

So that was Tear Ring Saga! It had its high points, as well as its lows, and a lot inbetween. There were things IS stole, things they should probably steal, and things IS was wise to leave alone. Overall, I'm glad to have been a part of this! Even if I dreaded the idea of finding time to comment on some of the updates, they really did brighten my day during one of the busiest times of my life. It's amazing to think that it's been over a year, and how much and how little has changed. Definitely take a break, I need one as well, but I look forward to Berwick saga, no matter if it's on this site or elsewhere.

Glad that you enjoyed it! I'd be glad to have you onboard for Berwick. Just... try to exercise some restraint, all right? Those replies were too much! I mean, I enjoyed them, but they took you far too much effort.

11 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

CertainLee not.

To resist the temptation to make a Lee pun is simplee inconceivable!

11 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Hwahahahahahahahaha... good one.

9 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Oh my God yes! Why do people praise maddening? And FE13 lunatic? Like they are harder but not in the damn correct way, and people still love it for being harder. All the devs did was slap a half exp gain  restriction and enemies have a millionn stats. Ugh. 

People probably praise those difficulties because every other difficulty is piss-easy. Beggars can't be choosers, isn't that right?

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

People probably praise those difficulties because every other difficulty is piss-easy. Beggars can't be choosers, isn't that right?

I love The gambling with the ring aspect just as much as the next guy, but those modes are just blatantly unfair, challenge is one thing but those modes are just, hey play optimal and you have a 40% of winning if the runs allow it. 

swwUQvw3WTpqiDZjSQrmcE5f9jV7EW0Rv1xHJydKxrKkgDtYjL2UkpNWinP0vxyjdhrtk4ar-ttWIl5s88VwM3-E-6wg-37D6xNx3ctFg5FOgsqC7bzw6dynFkyT5YkPbLcVOPmA

On 10/30/2019 at 10:58 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Xplywqba o

FE13 LaurentWell, I am glad we got closure on those two.

b91NmBZALWjBM7sZedJ38JsQr6HhNAzP-PnLCBAQcPcjiskWZ_iicIx3k_UjAImlV4gyKbypP_CcxaFgDOp3c6Pl8bNQ3KdzRXvVaor31Mf6s1JYqAz73tZeof6z6IvJQiu948OEToo bad General Lawrence's adventure happened off-screen.

FE13 LaurentEh, I spent five years in a desert, and that was largely glossed over. Side campaigns usually tend to be, unfortunately

b91NmBZALWjBM7sZedJ38JsQr6HhNAzP-PnLCBAQcPcjiskWZ_iicIx3k_UjAImlV4gyKbypP_CcxaFgDOp3c6Pl8bNQ3KdzRXvVaor31Mf6s1JYqAz73tZeof6z6IvJQiu948OEOh, you spent several years fighting a war?

FE13 LaurentTrying to find one, actually.

(I have not played Awakening in a few months, and already I'm out of touch with Laurent's style of speech. Considering it's half the reason I love him, that makes me sad.)

(Also, Edelgard's voice actor is the same as Miriel's and Jeritza shares a voice actor with Laurent. I can't help but wonder if there is a connection somewhere...)

Nfhk7umb o
Brmzavuw o

After months of worrying about his ultimate fate, I like the conclusion to the Librarians journey.

Ejw3a3lw oTiqk5nyl o

A nice twist, although I am curious how far ahead you planned it.

Pf9x1ire o

Ruben; Unluckily lucky in both gameplay and story.

On 12/8/2019 at 1:10 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

Right, I forgot that you can retreat in Echoes. I know the original Gaiden had it happen automatically after a certain amount of turns passed. Being honest, I never use retreating tactics in... pretty much every single video game I've ever played.

On 12/9/2019 at 10:59 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Come to think about it, I've had no luck at all when it comes to swords, have I? I lost all my dedicated swordies in FE12, all my swordies (period) in FE6, and... heck, even here in TRS, I lost a bunch of 'em! I can only hope next time's the one to break the curse.

How many sword users are there in Berwick? I want to start placing bets now.

On 12/9/2019 at 3:53 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

I think enough time has passed that the hype has died down somewhat. I've noticed people start bringing up its flaws more often (mostly about how the exploration parts are cool the first time around, but add up on subsequent playthroughs, and the involvement of TWSITD in the story).

On 12/9/2019 at 11:52 PM, The Roger The Paladin said:

Somehow I can imagine that was because no one in the playtesters thought to use him either.

I lost him on the map where you fight the Gharnef clones. I knew that dragonstones boosted resistance, so I brought him along with every unit in my army that had a decent resistance stat (and a thief, for the chests). Turns out, he wasn't as durable as I thought he was, but sadly a swarm spell killed him before I could get him out of range. I also lost Lina the same way. Twice.

I don't know what it is about Archanea, but it seems that magic hits like a truck in every game set there. Even Awakening, where both ally and enemy actually have a resistant stat, it is still overpowered despite having a ridiculously low might.

Shigen was raised by Yoda... and Yoda's biological daughter is Julia. So they're related but not by blood.

On 12/10/2019 at 11:20 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

She can end up with Shigen. Y'know, her brother. I'll take the age gap between her and Garo over that any day, personally.

I see. Thanks for the reminder. This game has enough relationships between characters and backstory that it's easy to get lost.

Never said it was a good plan. Though I still like the explanation this was him screwing with Holmes by pretending to have been a mastermind the whole time. Which would explain the plot-holes, because he wasn't a master-mind at all and didn't see the flaws.

I agree that that explanation makes a lot more sense and fits in with the general attitude of messing with Holmes

Apparently, it comes from the legend of Queen Maeve, also known as Medb, who is a character in the Irish epic Táin Bó Cúailnge, which takes place in the first century.

On 12/10/2019 at 2:01 AM, This boi uses Nino said:

I believe the appeal of those modes is that the game says "oh, you think you know how to break the game? Prove it." Understanding the mechanics of a game and using that knowledge to snap said game in half is fun to some people, I suppose.

That's basically me, yes.

I've tried to make my memes have broader applications as I've continued creating them.

Llibn6rp o...wait for it...

Ih49ob2i oWell, it's the truth! Now, would you like to enlist in my army? Because I'd really like to have you in my army.

Xhpakucv o...pardon me?

Lbm0bevf oThere it is.

Heh heh heh heh, well, I can't blame Eugen for attempting to get god literally on their side.

You're such an innocent man. I love you.

Thank you. I try to remain deliberately ignorant about such things.

To answer your question, it's because it makes her w

...I also see this getting potentially very dirty very quickly, so I'll drop the question.

Well...

To be fair, one of those is nearly a year ago.

Yeah, I read through the update myself and it wasn't too difficult. I suppose it seemed heavier when I was transcribing everything by hand.

While on that subject, jeez there are enough typos to solve world hunger, if typos were edible that is. You can really tell I was struggling to finish.

Same. Looking back at some of my previous replies, it's hard for me to remember that it took me hours to write some of them. I think I just get distracted by the other information surrounding the joke I'm looking for. That, and real life shenanigans.

I... actually kept track of all that without getting confused.

Then again, I also wasn't lost during Metal Gear Solid 2's ending, which is infamously mind-screwy (I mean, it is, but I'd say it's more that the twists are extremely meta more than anything else), but I still got lost with the finer details of TRS's plot, so make of that what you will.

Glad that you enjoyed it! I'd be glad to have you onboard for Berwick. Just... try to exercise some restraint, all right? Those replies were too much! I mean, I enjoyed them, but they took you far too much effort.

I shall try. I am looking forward to Berwick Saga with some dread, but mostly excitement! Take your time with it. We can be patient.