FE4 Item Inheritance

WrongMeteor

I'm about to finish chapter 3, so I'd like to have all the items for the second generation prepared.

Here are my pairings:

Aideen - Midir
Ayra - Lex
Raquesis - Finn
Sylvia - Nobody
Erin - Claude
Bridget - Holyn
Tyldu - Azel

And also Sigurd+Deirdre and Quan+Ethlyn too I guess

Thanks!

Aideen-Midir: Midir should have some good bows.  Give him a Hero Bow and/or the Killer Bow from Jamke.  Aideen only needs staves, but ones that could be used by an unpromoted cleric (B-level staves, I don't think you even encounter any A-rank staves in Gen 1).  Tomes will not be inherited from Aideen.

Ayra-Lex: If Lex got the Silver Blade from Chagall, then excellent.  Otherwise, he should be carrying some ring items, namely things like the Leg ring, Bargain ring, or stat-boosting rings.  Obviously Ayra should have some good swords, namely the Hero sword and a well-used slim sword.

Lachesis-Finn: Unfortunately, Finn will lose everything and his kid won't get anything in return.  I'd recommend having Finn hand all his weapons to Quan, and then having him nab some rings.  Don't give him the leg or knight rings, give him a stat-boosting ring.  Lachesis should only carry up to A-rank swords and C-rank staves - don't give her any items, her child will be able to handle herself (or could just use staves to level).

Sylvia: Obviously, she won't pass anything down.  If she had a husband, the leg and knight rings would be most useful on her, but now those will be available to anyone else with infantry children.

Erin-Claude: Interesting choice.  Erin might do well to hang on to some magic swords, such as the light sword or thunder sword.  Anything Claude can use, his kid will also be able to use, so feel free to give Claude whatever weapons and staves he can carry.  I would highly recommend a B-rank wind tome, the Valkyrie staff, and some other staff for good measure.

Brigid-Holyn: Ichival is all Brigid should need to carry, though a Bargain ring couldn't hurt.  Holyn's an excellent choice for Brigid, he should carry some B-rank swords like the slayer weapons or the Hero sword; consider that the kid inheriting Holyn's weapons might be one of the worst combatants of the next generation, you may either want to benefit them or ignore them.

Tailtiu-Azelle: They should both pass down B-rank thunder tomes, since that's the best class of weapon their kids will have access to until promotion.  Give Tailtiu a standard wind tome as well, wind is objectively the best class of magic between the anima magics in the game.  Ignore the fact that Azelle enables the kids to both use B-rank fire tomes, fire sucks in this game.

Sigurd-Deirdre: Unfortunately, you won't be able to do anything with Deirdre's equipment since she's gone, but I would've suggested just having her give/sell all her things except the Circlet.  Sigurd should only have swords on him, namely the Silver Sword he got from Arvis.  Maybe some rings too, but Seliph will eventually wind up just like his dad in terms of class so don't give him a leg ring unless you really need an early mobility boost.

Quan-Ethlyn: Quan should take Finn's lances and any other good lances, though don't fill up his inventory all the way.  Ethlyn may do well to take an Elite ring and some good swords (up to A-rank), but her kid won't inherit staves, so don't let her keep any.

Something to note: Any weapons or items carried by units not passing anything down don't disappear forever.  They'll show up in specific places in the next generation with the same kill stats and uses.  It's just that they may be in the hands of an enemy or in some shops.  So if you can't load your units up with everything, don't worry, the items will show up eventually.  In fact, you might see a ton of standard weapons in the shops immediately - these are weapons that were purchased in the previous generation, recycled into the shops.

Give Sigurd the Paragon Ring. It makes Seliph way better. I personally gave it to Lachesis for Nanna, and while that did make an awesome Nanna that was able to promote the chapter I got her, thanks to a bit of staff spamming, it would've made much better use on Seliph as the sooner you get him promoted, the better.

Edited by DarthR0xas

Ertrick covered the general gist of things, so I'll just add some things:

Ethlyn: Give her the Armorslayer (or Armor Cutter in this game); it'll make leveling Leaf in Ch7 much easier.

Sigurd: If you have space, I would give him the Paragon, Leg, and Knight rings, in that order of importance. Paragon is useful for leveling up fast, and the faster he gets a horse, the more efficient you can be to kill stuff. Leg Ring is only temporary, as Lene is too busy not existing to inherit it. Once you get Laylea, pawn it [Leg Ring] off and have her buy it. Laylea can buy the Leg Ring as early as the beginning of Ch8 if you let her go to all the villages near Leaf's trio and have her fight in the arena for both Ch7 and Ch8. OR just marry her off to Ares if you're fast enough.

Alternate Temp. Leg Ring User: Lana or Fee. Lana can cover massive ground with her Physic staff (if she inherited it) as well as keep up with Diarmuid and Lester if they get injured. Or have Fee inherit it that way she can reach villages faster to stop the brigands. I'd recommend Fee over Lana, but be careful- Fee may already be inheriting A LOT of weapons.

Fin!Delmud can inherit the Thunder Sword if Fin gets the kill on Jacobans in Ch.3 - it's the only sword Fin!Delmud has a way of inheriting so that's something you probably wanna consider.

Other than that Fin!Delmud and Lex!Ulster won't inherit any swords - but you can have Ayra pass down a lot of swords to her daughter, which she can sell to the pawn shop in the beginning of Ch.6. Then Ulster and Delmud will be able to buy them, just make sure that their respective fathers pass down a lot of money so they can actually afford all the swords they need.

17 hours ago, WrongMeteor said:

I'm about to finish chapter 3, so I'd like to have all the items for the second generation prepared.

Here are my pairings:

Aideen - Midir
Ayra - Lex
Raquesis - Finn
Sylvia - Nobody
Erin - Claude
Bridget - Holyn
Tyldu - Azel

And also Sigurd+Deirdre and Quan+Ethlyn too I guess

Thanks!

Aideen - Midir: it's fine for both children since the daughter will get all the B grade staffs, and the son will get the B grade bows( the hero bow will be his main weapon anyway ).

Ayra - Lex: not so good for items inheritance on the male side. you better sell all of Lex's axes in the last chapter of gen 1, as the male child won't get them anyway, and those you sold previously can be used by other characters in gen 2.

Raquesis - Finn: not so good for items inheritance on the male side. the daughter will get everything, but the son won't get any lances due to the starting class being limited to swords only( and also because Fin should still be playable in gen 2 ).

Sylvia - Nobody: that's actually the best setup you can choose for Sylvia, if you plan to get a couple of extra items in gen 2 from other characters.

Erin - Claude: i'm kind of confused here, probably due to different character names in the patch i use. if the combo is pegasus knight - priest, then you better sell off all A grade staffs from Claude. you should still be able to pass on the B grade ones thou.

Bridget - Holyn: this one is tricky. it's going to be alright for the male child, but the daughter will be limited to B grade swords only, so you better sell off any A grade blades from Holyn( especially the silver one, if he has it and you don't want to lose it ).

Tyldu - Azel: this should be already balanced by itself. nobody loses anything, just remember that the children usually have priority over Thunder magic, so you may want to leave both parents with a thunder spell in inventory.

Sigurd+Deirdre: already balanced by itself. just sell any lances you have on Sigurd by the end of gen 1.

Quan+Ethlyn: same as above, with the difference that you should sell Ethlyn's staffs. and don't forget to give her a silver sword, Leif can make good use of it later on.

Make sure you give Holyn the Return Ring. You'll be happy you did in chapter 7. Also try and get 50+ kills on the Silver Sword, Hero Sword, Hero Lance, Elwind, and Wind Sword in addition to holy weapons before gen 2 starts.

1 hour ago, Fenreir said:

Tyldu - Azel: this should be already balanced by itself. nobody loses anything, just remember that the children usually have priority over Thunder magic, so you may want to leave both parents with a thunder spell in inventory.

Strictly speaking you will lose the Thoron. Tiltyu can use it because she is a Thunder Mage but Tinny is a regular mage, so her holy blood only gets her up to B in thunder.

But there is probably nothing that can be done about that. And fortunately the Thoron shows up relatively early into the second generation.

Edited by BrightBow

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Strictly speaking you will lose the Thoron. Tiltyu can use it because she is a Thunder Mage but Tinny is a regular mage, so her holy blood only gets her up to B in thunder.

But there is probably nothing that can be done about that. And fortunately the Thoron shows up relatively early into the second generation.

yeah, my bad, forgot about that. i guess in that case he could just sell the Thoron by the end of gen 1, and buy it again later.

in my previous sessions, usually the Thoron ended up on Arthur when he promoted to mage knight. i've always seen Tinny more like a guest character, rather than a unit that can actually promote and be useful.

there's also other people who can use it of course( Leif can be scary with any kind of weapon after promotion, since he basicly becomes a god ), but since Arthur comes in quite early in 2nd gen, he's basicly the most suited candidate for that spell.

Anyway, I like to give the Return Staff and the Return Ring to Lachesis, so that Nanna can get Leaf, Finn and herself to join up with the main group before Ishtor is defeated.

I also always try to make sure Lena gets the Bargain Ring if possible. Staffs are expensive and Lena can't visit the arena for the longest time. And needless to say, she isn't exactly the best pick to visit villages either.

For every other possible money issues, it might be a good idea to give Holyn a magic sword so Patty can steal stuff without having to get into melee range.

Also, I don't quite get why the Leg Ring for Sylvia is dismissed like this. Refreshing four units at once is ridiculously powerful, especially in a game with Canto. So everything that helps her to use this ability as often and effectively as possible is welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say that Laylea isn't a better unit than Lene. While Charm is a nice skill to have, Laylea shouldn't be anywhere near combat compared to Delmud and Nanna, not to mention a third Charm user in a run where Laylea and Sharlow are the only substitues just comes off as superfluous. Lene on the hand can come with the Leg and Knight Rings right when you get her. Sure, Laylea can earn the gold she needs to buy the rings with the help of a lover and a thief, but this takes longer. You also get two super busted res swords anyway in the form of the Mystletain and the Tyrfring, so not getting the Barrier Sword isn't a huge loss. It also doesn't give a big enough effect to be worth sacrificing immediate Leg and Knight Ring Dancer.

As for Corpul and Sharlow, neither of them are good units, so it doesn't matter how well they turn out. I also never had a need for the Berserk staff.

Also I just realized you don't have Lewyn paired. Why not? Forseti is too good to pass up

Edited by Gregster101

3 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say that Laylea isn't a better unit than Lene. While Charm is a nice skill to have, Laylea shouldn't be anywhere near combat compared to Delmud and Nanna, not to mention a third Charm user in a run where Laylea and Sharlow are the only substitues just comes off as superfluous. Lene on the hand can come with the Leg and Knight Rings right when you get her. Sure, Laylea can earn the gold she needs to buy the rings with the help of a lover and a thief, but this takes longer. You also get two super busted res swords anyway in the form of the Mystletain and the Tyrfring, so not getting the Barrier Sword isn't a huge loss. It also doesn't give a big enough effect to be worth sacrificing immediate Leg and Knight Ring Dancer.

As for Corpul and Sharlow, neither of them are good units, so it doesn't matter how well they turn out. I also never had a need for the Berserk staff.

there's no such thing as "best dancer" in my opinion.

the whole point of having a dancer with the Leg ring( and eventually the Knight ring, althou that's debatable ) is to be able to move around together with horseback characters for a double action on 4 units.

their main role has always been supporting allies, hence why their skills aren't considered a factor, but rather just a secondary utility for arenas. that's all.

the only difference with FE4 dancers is wich one you prefer the most. you can either start right away with an eventual pre-build character in 2nd generation, or loose that in order to get extra items later on with the other alternative characters( and you could still build up the other dancer with some effort anyway, if you manage to pair her with someone else ).

on the other hand, a barrier sword does help, and a lot too, especially in maps with mages shooting long range nukes from far away, along with staff users trying to sleep people left and right.

Fee can be very dangerous when stacked up on magic defence with Barrier sword+ring. after promotion, she becomes a critical machine that not only can double attack on most enemies, but also has one of the highest magic defence in game. along with the ability to fly over cliffs, peaks and mountains, she's basicly the bane of mages.

the berserk staff isn't really necessary if you have good tactics( as much as silence/sleep staffs, especially because they are not cheap to repair ), however it's always an extra help when you're fighting a compact wave of enemies.

Edited by Fenreir

7 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

not to mention a third Charm user in a run where Laylea and Sharlow are the only substitues just comes off as superfluous.

I will disagree with you slightly here, if you are trying to kill Julius without using Julia, having a third Charm user helps, especially once Julius gets into his wrath range, it makes it far more reliable to chip with holy weapons wielded by people other than Seliph.

15 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I will disagree with you slightly here, if you are trying to kill Julius without using Julia, having a third Charm user helps, especially once Julius gets into his wrath range, it makes it far more reliable to chip with holy weapons wielded by people other than Seliph.

Ok, but what sane person would try to kill Julius without using Julia?

22 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Those who want to see the unique death quote he has if Seliph kills him, plus the scene that occurs if Manfloy and the mind controlled Julia are both alive when you kill Julius.

6 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Eltoshan Kadath already covered the sane ones.

The insane ones will do it with someone like Hannibal or a substitute. Me, I'm not that insane and finished with Faval (sadly not Seliph as he didn't have a power ring)

• 4 years later...
On 12/20/2018 at 8:59 PM, Gregster101 said:

I did on my first playthrough because Julia didn't get her Narga tome. Oops