What got you into Fire Emblem?

Sub Zero

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had Sacred Stones in a desk drawer pretty much within a month of it coming out. I don't really know how it got there, as I had never asked for my parents to purchase it or thought about it myself, although I had seen Fire Emblem characters in Melee already. (I don't think I ever read the trophy descriptions though).  I played Sacred Stones pretty happily at the time, and intentionally bought Path of Radiance, which I thought was nice but forgettable. Never went back to Fire Emblem until the 3DS Awakening bundle. Awakening Got me really excited about SRPGs, but I put my energy to playing every non-FE SRPG of note for any consoles which took a year or two before I forgot the genre and put it on the backburner. (roughly langrisser to disgaea) .. Formed opinions. Then spent 6 months on my full series marathon... Order was... bizarre... >13>10>11>12>5>4>1>2>3>7>6 … Ended that marathon liking Fire Emblem … a lot less. Then I got into Western Tactics (not strategy or staragy/tactics) games.

I feel like I should add "and I haven't looked back" but it's more of a love/hate relationship. I did play Heroes in November/December 2017 while it was still at a small enough file size to run on a weak android phone, but even after I got a new smartphone I never re-downloaded it. Heroes kind of created a dilemia where I personally found it to require more thought (infernals and squad assault come to mind) Of course, I didn't play it as an RPG / progression based game that much since I didn't have the time to do merges and had to make do with my 3-4 star pulls, whom I only ever really promoted like 4 to 5 star, etc. Not full challenge run stuff, but it made it exciting to do them with the semi-limited setup... however calling that my "best experience" with fire emblem is bizarre because I'm aware that it's not how the game is intended to be played (see RPG/progression/merging) I even somehow found time in those 2 months to delete my account and struggle through all the squad assaults (there were only 5 back then) with a different ragtag groups of mostly 4 star units doing so 3 times in all....………  Similiarly with the main series, my favorite content is unbalanced content - FE11 and 12's higher difficulties, and Awakening's L+. They are the only thing besides FEH to make me break down and actualy draw parts of certain levels on graph paper to get through.  It kind of puts me in a mixed position on Three Houses, because I'm afraid that it's hardest difficulty will be more in the line of Conquests Lunatic, which I don't get quite the same kick out of. 

My friend really wanted me to play so he started showing me all the bishies in FE7. It was round about when, or not long after, FE8 and FE9 were coming out, so I'd seen reviews on them and had put them to one side to think about, since it looked like a style I liked. However, after liking the look of several FE7 bishies, I wanted to try that first, so I went straight out and bought it.

Annoyingly, I bought a pre-owned copy which had FE7's box but FE8 was inside (or the shop people just gave me the wrong one)...

But then I found another copy the next day that was correct. Played FE7 first and became obsessed after that :D Also somehow managed to get the correct box and manual for FE8 along the way because I like things to be right xD

Edited by Cute Chao

Before I really got into Fire Emblem I played fe7 and fe8 on emulators but I felt they were to hard and boring for me. Years later I see Robin and Lucina be announced for smash 4 and I was really intrigued. After watching reviews and game play videos of Awakening (including a interesting fella named Etika) I decided to ask my parents to get me the game. I played that game at least four times over and I started my journey to play every fire emblem game I could. I'm still on that quest but it has definitely been fun.

Well I got into FE after I randomly ran into AbdallahSmash's LP of Awakening when browsing Youtube. At that time I was burned out from action games, so I decided to look into something slower paced. And when I finished with that LP, I decided to play other FE games. Suffice to say, I was sucked in and spent a LOT of time on it :)

Although while it was an LP of Awakening that got me into this, I wasn't actually able to play Awakening (and Fates/SoV for that matter) until maybe 2 months ago, when I replaced my ond 32-bit system with 64-bit one, and got a hold of Citra.

I could've sworn I'd already responded to this thread... But anyway, I played Blazing Sword for the first time seven years ago, when it was given to my family as a gift, and I was the first one to give it a try. I absolutely fell in love with the game and proceeded to buy Awakening two years later, which made me even more crazy for the series. The fact that I still haven't finished PoR or played Radiant Dawn, Shadow Dragon or any of the Japan-only games yet (except for Binding Blade) makes me very excited to see what else I have left to discover about my favorite game series.

I was going through you tube and saw PM1's Fire Emblem Fates playthrough and I began watching the Birthright Path, alongside Corrin in Smash, got me intersted. Fire Emblem was quite easy to get into for me because a lot of mechanics like weapon triangles and turn based RPG was quite similar to Pokemon.

Back when FE13 just released, my brother had bought a copy and played it TONS. He loved the fact that he could self insert himself into the game(it was his first FE), and he always told me about the characters and the story. So, I did what any little sister would do, and I stole the cartridge from him when he was done the game so I could play it myself. And, in the end, I fell in love with not only the characters, but the gameplay and mechanics.

But I never did play any of the earlier games until FE14 came out, and was fun, and I enjoyed, but it was lackluster so I didn't get my Fire Emblem fix, so to say. Not to bash FE14-- it did quite a bit right, but it wasn't my cup of tea. So, I found some of the older games and played them. My first "old" Fire Emblem game was FE7, and pretty much, I got hooked on the game series after that one. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was introduced to Fire Emblem through Marth and Roy in Melee. I liked them a lot in Melee and was always curious thought as to what game they were from. I was 6 or 7 at this point and had no internet so there was like no way for me to research what Fire Emblem was. Around the time FE7 was released in North America I was looking at games in Walmart and noticed FE7 was there and I thought Eliwood was Roy in the box art. I had my grandma buy it for me thinking I finally found the game that Roy is in. My first play through I was confused as to who Eliwood was as I kept thinking he was Roy, until I got to the end of the game when I realized Roy is Eliwood’s son. But I loved playing it and I continued to play every English released game since then. And FE6 too when I learned about emulators. Now Fire Emblem is my favorite franchise of all time. 

I was always aware of the series through Smash Bros., but I didn't get into the series from that. I got into the series via Awakening out of curiosity, where I played the first half of the game. But I didn't really get into the series until I played a bit of the GBA games then by chance to discovering one of Mekkah and DonDon's videos.

From there things went tumbling down...

• 1 month later...