What do you think a lord of an FE should be?

Cure Naga

So is this talking about, like, what class they should be?

Honestly, most lords either can stay like they usually are or should be like Sigurd.  Most lords in real life were commanders of armies - in fact, many had more military background than they had background as politicians, which is part of the reason there were so many wars in the Dark Ages (lots of hawkish nobles and kings who'd rather take what they wanted by force than discuss terms peacefully).  Thus, their classes should represent their high status in the army - fancy swords that could only be wielded by highly trained warriors and sitting atop a horse to give them a vantage point to command their troops and slay those below them.

They could also be tacticians/mages or archers.  There have been lords that are more like Takumi and Leo in that they tend to prefer more advisory or long-range roles in an army.  Or you could have pirate lords who are essentially commanders of fleets or massive ships.  Just as long as they take on roles that still seem like they have great authority in their army.

Performers - as fun as they can be - do not exude an aura of authority over an army.  They can be secondary protagonists or nobility in the vein of, like, Innes or Julia, but they can't be the leader of a military force that's larger than a small fireteam (2-4 people).

The idea of having a "lord" be a dancer, bard, etc. class is an interesting one which I hope is explored at some point. The reason I put lord in quotations is because I see being a lord in an FE game as being a protagonist (Ike for example is the protagonist of PoR, but isn't of noble class. He is temporary promoted to a high rank half way through the game though). A game with a protagonist as a support class could make an interesting rebellion story. Radiant Dawn seemed to try something like this, but I feel it fell short on it due to the Dawn Brigand having to compete with the vast amount of characters in the game - many of which already having some development from PoR. 

A class which I would LOVE to see a "lord" be is a cleric/priest/troubadour. A game like this could take a more religious take of war, being something like the Crusades. Being able to justify the reason for putting a military chaplain as the head of a unit could also be an interesting plot point. Gameplay-wise, not having a lord that can attack would be difficult early on, but the potential of status staves would be insane if designed with the mindset that the player will be using them more so than in other titles. Just imagining a personal enemy-only warp staff fills me with awesome map concepts.

Functionally, Chrom and FE12 Marth are perfect lords. They are capable fighters that can kill what they need to but offer utilities that make them useful outside of combat as well. Convoy is pretty huge.

I'm a big fan of SoV Alm as well because while he has less utility than FE12 Marf/Chrom, his raw combat capabilities are top of the line though held back by movement slightly.

I generally like a melee-type lord that promotes to Calvary. They're the leaders of an army, so I think they should at least look the part.

Although, depending on how the story is set up, I can see a cleric/troubadour lord working. Instead of brute strength, they can serve more as a strategist and support their troops.

As for the dancer idea- I'm not too crazy about it. I know we shouldn't apply real world concepts into a fantasy game, but a dancer doesn't exude the authority a military leaders needs. Also, most lords in this series are of noble birth. Historically, performers were often mistrusted and looked down upon, so nobility would most likely not do anything that could associate themselves with people of a bad reputation. Plus, most dancers in this series often wear... skimpier attire, which would not go over well with noble families. They could be a runaway noble.... although that was already sorta done.

HOWEVER, I do not think having a lord that operates like a refresher is a bad idea. Instead of dancing, perhaps they could be called a Leader or Rallyman. They carry a battle flag and use their inspiring battle cry to motivate their troops. This can work with both a young and older lord.

Ephraim was great, gameplay wise. I love seeing some weapon variety in lords, so seeing Edelgard and such have a variety of weapons in FE16 is interesting, and I'm excited to see how it goes.

In particular, something that's always struck me as interesting is a mage lord. I've never had an idea for a romhack that'd have one, but I'd totally love to do it if I find the right idea for it.

A bit confused by the question, but a Fire Emblem lord to me is a character that is written decently/exceptionally well for the series, and is a good unit on the battlefield.

Also, everything Robin and Corrin are not.

I'd prefer that the next Lord has a more strategic background like Roy did, or even just someone who shows much more insight to battles and diplomacy than the ones already shown.

Or even a rallying Lord, as opposed to the more hands-on approach. I do not know many examples, but something like Joan of Arc who arguably did not fight in battle herself, but lifted the spirits of the French people who fought on her behalf.