Langrisser M General

redlight

On 5/3/2019 at 9:24 PM, Sire said:

After some more thought, I'm probably going to end up dropping Langrisser Mobile completely. I'll probably keep playing until my Goddess Blessing expires, then uninstall the game. Playing the game hasn't been a complete waste as there are some lessons that I've taken from LM for my own projects (such as not having a lengthy daily routine, using animated portraits, etc.) and maybe adding the original titles to games I should get around to playing.

In short, I find myself having far more enjoyable experiences elsewhere for my time. I enjoy playing Dragalia and how it takes care of its players, and enjoy playing FGO for its story and the IP. Then there's a different mobile game called "Another Eden" which is apparently also pretty good, especially if you are a fan of Chrono Trigger. (I never played CT, but watched a playthrough of it.) I haven't tried Another Eden yet as there are events going on in the other two mobile titles, but what I've seen of it looks promising.

Yeah, I dropped the game too due to the lengthy daily routine... I adore the Langrisser series, but having to spend around an hour every day repeating the exact same things just for the daily quest was too much for me. Pretty much all your power increase comes from the daily quest, so if you don't do those, you don't progress. I found myself so tired of doing those quests that by the time I finished them, I didn't feel like doing any new stages anymore. So sick of waiting for auto stuff that it burned me off even doing what I enjoyed.The ratio of fun vs tedious repetitive content was wayyy off, and I honestly feel happier having dropped the game. I still had 12000 crystals and 50 unused summoning tickets, but I figured that there's absolutely no new hero or thing added that could be added to the game that would make the real time investment worth it.

It's a real shame too: the presentation and graphics are spot-on, gameplay is pretty decent and I loved seeing the games I enjoyed so much being translated into this mobile form, and the nice anecdotes from the Gates of Fate. The mobile game doing great would increase the chance of getting new Langrisser console games (and getting them localized this time around), but... In its current form I just don't want to waste more time doing tedious stuff.

Regarding other mobile games, I'm not starting any other gacha games personally, no matter how appealing they may look. I still play Fire Emblem Heroes because I enjoy it and the "forced time requirement" is much lower, but besides that if I have to play on mobile I'm playing buy-to-own games. There's some decent stuff on there like Empire of Angels 4 (only purchase is full time unlock), Templar Battleforce, etc. So nice to play on mobile without feeling like you have to play, or have pop-ups constantly appearing with "buy these packages for only 99$!"

Good luck with your project! Anything you can share or is it too early?

Edited by Ayra

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game wouldn't feel as monotonous if it had regular events to break up the daily grind. The Bozel and Gerold&Layla ones were good examples of this but even then these events in retrospective do not give enough rewards to make them lucrative enough.
Sure, you get crystals, gold, rainbow keys and SSR equipment on top of a free SSR but almost nothing for Soldier training or rank up materials which are the most time-consuming aspects for improving your heroes. It doesn't replace the daily grind it only adds to it which might make these even worse for the average player.

The pitiful amount of drops from runs without the daily bonus doesn't help in this. Once you go 10+ on the Tier 3 nodes you only get progress after expending all of your daily bonus on a singular Aniki and even one level will astronomically increase the necessary grind. That's not acceptable.
Grinding class mats is the same deal, except they do not even contribute to the daily missions. With every time rift unlocked it's only possible to sweep for rainbow materials 6-9 times and some of them aren't even guaranteed to drop. It eats a lot of stamina which can't be covered with the daily rations of burgers. So the only option for faster progress is to spend crystals which scale with each refill.
Both of these are then further hampered by RNG. It's infuriating that you can possibly miss getting certain materials and waste the daily bonus on unnecessary drops.

The worst part is this grinding is actually required. Unlike FEH or FGO it isn't just enough to reach max. level. You need to do all of this to have a chance in Timeless Trial and future content and that seriously adds to the annoyance.

tbh I might drop this game, even before the ToS collab. All of these negatives definetly discourage further commitment to this game and even the CN side doesn't seem to offer any insight if the devs have improvements planned.

On 5/7/2019 at 10:33 AM, Ayra said:

Regarding other mobile games, I'm not starting any other gacha games personally, no matter how appealing they may look. I still play Fire Emblem Heroes because I enjoy it and the "forced time requirement" is much lower, but besides that if I have to play on mobile I'm playing buy-to-own games. There's some decent stuff on there like Empire of Angels 4 (only purchase is full time unlock), Templar Battleforce, etc. So nice to play on mobile without feeling like you have to play, or have pop-ups constantly appearing with "buy these packages for only 99$!"

Good luck with your project! Anything you can share or is it too early?

The only reason I'm playing mobile titles is mostly because I'm too broke to afford "proper" games. I can afford maybe $10-20 a month here and there (enough for indies, but that's a different topic),and not enough for the larger $50-60 titles. I missed out on some big Nintendo titles such as Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild due to this.
- - - - - - - - - -
For my projects, I got plenty. However, for the one closest to Strategy RPG, I lost my documentation due to hard drive failure. I'm still running my laptop on the failing harddrive (reinstalled windows for the 6th time now) and lost most of my other stuff before I started making backups or decided to simply redownload/document the files later.

For the Strategy RPG specifically, I was thinking about making it into a mobile gacha game since gacha games have the potential for high returns. The main gameplay combines a strategy layer map where the player moves their units to capture strongholds and objectives (think Ogre Battle's strategy map), while the combat itself reflects a turn-based RPG (similar to Tactic's Ogre). So, once unit collides with an enemy on the strategy map, the game transitions to the battle map where combat is turn-based.
The main story relies around a player avatar (a homunculus) that was created to be a master tactician. The PC gets caught up in a war between a "crusading kingdom" and a "militaristic volcanic kingdom." The war the PC is in is a "war of revenge" from the volcanic kingdom as the Crusaders invaded years ago and caused much destruction before claiming their victory. However, while the war rages, another party lies in wait to resurrect their fallen goddess.

The main problem I ran into is the whole "time investment" thing which I learned from playing Langrisser Mobile. Turn based games tend to last a while, and normal sessions are even longer. I started making the distinction of "do I want to make a mobile game, or do I want to make a game that's played on mobile devices?" Mobile games tend to be casual in nature and played in short bursts. Tossing in a "proper game," especially with gacha mechanics, may not be the wisest idea. Perhaps it can be pulled off with proper implementation, but at the moment this is the biggest hurdle to get over.

However, like I said, I lost most of my documentation and this was a very early concept of the mobile SRPG. // For my other projects, my current active ones are a "Danganronpa game" (Mystery Visual Novel + Minigames) and a "Vindictus game"(Online Action RPG). I can make a separate topic elsewhere if you would like to know more about them (or just one of the two).

• 4 weeks later...

Welp this thread has died. 

I'm still playing the game and enjoying it, though I definitely understand where people are coming from when they say the game is too time consuming. I personally dropped the two other gachas I was playing before (FEH and FGO) to focus on this one, since despite the amount of time required to do dailies, I enjoy the gameplay here more than in any other mobile games I played.

I finally managed to break the 5k barrier with 3 characters recently (Freya, Shelfaniel and Luna) and I'll have my first two 6* SSRs tomorrow when I sweep the last shards I need to upgrade Shelfaniel and Tiaris. I now also have every character in the game except for Lanford, since I finally got Altemuller and was lucky enough to pull both Rachel and Landius from the last banner.

Yeah, I basically dropped this game entirely. There are times where I want to go back to it, but then I remember the company behind it and all the "little things" again. Everything piled up to the point I could not overlook them anymore, so I just stopped playing. I got too involved with the community it had as well, so that's another reason why I'm distancing myself from it.
- - - - -
I'm now playing Another Eden instead which I am finding to be extremely enjoyable because of its story and JRPG aspects, even though the company behind it did pull a stunt with its gacha rates during the JP-Only days. Otherwise, I still got Fate/Grand Order installed and play that a bit as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else played the new Langrisser? I palyed the demo and I'm enjoying it! I do wish they got different sprites when they promote into different classes though.

Started playing it. Decided to do langrisser 1 first vecause otherwise i would just play 2 over and over. 

Why all the threatening enemies suck now WTF? The slimes were the demonic spiders and now suck. Lance had endgame stats and now he has lower stats than my Ledin. I really hope the game won't be such a cakewalk, because so far it was a stomp. Now i am on the route split. The original route was pretty much standard Fire Emblem, so i will go for the alternative one.

Edit: i was mislead by the game, the split is eay further down the line. And there are a fuckton of routes.

Edited by Flere210