I hope that Awakening and Fates won't influence Three Houses too much

Roland

We already got a bunch of proof of a bunch of Shadows of Valentia mechanics are returning:

-Combat Arts

-Separate Magic Lists

-Free-Roaming Areas

So I think Three Houses is just gonna be a refined version of that title with some new mechanics thrown in. I honestly they hope they take the Echoes style and add some mechanics from Fates. Like Personal Skills, Skill lists, some map design, hidden weapons + the new weapon triangle (maybe with some more modifications for magic types)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Otts486 said:

How so? If you don’t mind me asking, I mean what specifically about awakening and fates rub you the wrong way? To the point where you’d say something as extreme as “...those two represent everything wrong with fire emblem” I am legit curious. 

The majority of my problems with those games are from a writing perspective. Yes, this series hasn't had the luxury of being the best at writing, but I felt these two games hit the bottom of the barrel so hard it crack the whole thing in two. The cast of characters didn't help it all. I feel as if the two games had far too many boring support conversations, and the characters felt extremely one dimensional aside from like, 4 or more characters. Special mentions to Robin and Corrin for being the absolute worst attempts at a customize avatar I've ever seen in any game ever.

Gameplay wise, Awakening and Birthright's gameplay got really dull really quickly, and I think it was the fact that the games had the same two objectives for the entire game. Conquest's map design is good for the first half, but the second half of Conquest just drops the ball off into a ditch never to be found again. Pair Up I didn't really like, as I felt as if it made the game much more, how do I put this, easier, and Reclassing, while a good idea in theory, lost it's novelty really quickly.

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

You're entitled to your opinion, although as you already stated it in the original post, I'm not sure how much restating it (and in stronger terms than before) was going to help with anything besides getting people angry. Also, I'd invite you to think more constructively about the games; every game in the series has both good and bad points, and in a thread like this (i.e. how might the games influence Three Houses) it's worth keeping the good in mind too.

My personal least favourite game in the series is Shadow Dragon but I can still point at some good things it did, and in fact it ended up having some influences on Awakening and Fates (which I do like) I consider to be good.

You're right, ever Fire Emblem does have it's strength and weakness, but I felt like Awakening and Fates had far too many weaknesses. If they do influence Three houses,  which they very well in some way, I hope they look at what did work, what did not work, and not completely screw the pooch for a third time.

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

Would you like it if I called you everything wrong with the FE fandom?  Pretty sure the answer is "no", and you'd be absolutely right about that.  I'm also 90% certain that your issues with the 3DS games didn't originate with the 3DS games.

See, every FE game did certain things well.  And they also did certain things horribly wrong.  But this isn't the topic to hash out what went right or wrong in every FE.  There will probably be elements of the 3DS games in Three Houses.  The question is whether or not you can live with that.

Even if they didn't originate from the 3DS games, they certainly didn't do anything to improve upon them if you ask me.

And you are right. Much as I wish it would not be the case, there will be some influcnce from Awakening and Fates in Three Houses, and I certainly hope it's the good influence.

And yes, good ma'am, I can live with that reality. This is, in the end, a video game series, not a live or death situation.

11 minutes ago, Roland said:

The majority of my problems with those games are from a writing perspective. Yes, this series hasn't had the luxury of being the best at writing, but I felt these two games hit the bottom of the barrel so hard it crack the whole thing in two. The cast of characters didn't help it all. I feel as if the two games had far too many boring support conversations, and the characters felt extremely one dimensional aside from like, 4 or more characters. Special mentions to Robin and Corrin for being the absolute worst attempts at a customize avatar I've ever seen in any game ever.

Gameplay wise, Awakening and Birthright's gameplay got really dull really quickly, and I think it was the fact that the games had the same two objectives for the entire game. Conquest's map design is good for the first half, but the second half of Conquest just drops the ball off into a ditch never to be found again. Pair Up I didn't really like, as I felt as if it made the game much more, how do I put this, easier, and Reclassing, while a good idea in theory, lost it's novelty really quickly.

You're right, ever Fire Emblem does have it's strength and weakness, but I felt like Awakening and Fates had far too many weaknesses. If they do influence Three houses,  which they very well in some way, I hope they look at what did work, what did not work, and not completely screw the pooch for a third time.

Even if they didn't originate from the 3DS games, they certainly didn't do anything to improve upon them if you ask me.

And you are right. Much as I wish it would not be the case, there will be some influcnce from Awakening and Fates in Three Houses, and I certainly hope it's the good influence.

And yes, good ma'am, I can live with that reality. This is, in the end, a video game series, not a live or death situation.

*tisk tisk* Shame you think you just shit on certain games like this and get away with it. Boy, are you in for a very rude awakening in the near future.

Edited by Decerd

3 minutes ago, Decerd said:

*tisk tisk* Shame you think you just shit on certain games like this and get away with it. Boy, are you in for a very rude awakening in the near future.

....Seriously? Look, if you mad that I said what said about them, then I'm sorry, but that's what I think about them. And I don't think I will "get away with it" as you say, I'm very aware that I might get some flak for what I say about games, especially in regards to Fire Emblem, but here's the thing, I don't take this seriously in any way. Like I said, we're talking about video games here, not politics. I understand your frustration. I've seen my favorite game, Radiant Dawn, get a lot of flak for it's writing, a lot of it regarding Ike, and I don't pitch a hissy fit about it, attacking everyone who disagrees with me. 

I'm perfectly fine with others disagreeing with me, so long as they don't resort to getting butthurt and having the reaction close to the equivalent of "ZOMG You said something I don't like, you're an elitist/weeb/whatever!". As long as they're reasonable and level headed, I'm open to hearing what people have to say, and some of the people here have been just that. 

20 minutes ago, Roland said:

Yes, this series hasn't had the luxury of being the best at writing, but I felt these two games hit the bottom of the barrel so hard it crack the whole thing in two.

fates I'll agree but awakening? I don't see it. I mean awakening's story as far as I can tell is not too bad. If anything it's alright. Not good or great but not terrible either so yeah. I mean it's better than SoV's story I'll tell you that much. Cause unlike SoV, awakening doesn't tend to contradict itself at every turn. Seriously though if there's one thing a story should almost never do is contradict it's own themes/messages. As far as characters are concerned unless you wanna get into a centuries long debate with me on character writing then that's just a matter of personal taste which I will disagree on but whatever opinions will be opinions. I will say on the whole though awakening and fates do have their fair share of pretty well written characters. A good amount of them are fairly charming and have a decent amount of depth and nuance if you dig deep enough.

11 minutes ago, Decerd said:

really? do you gotta keep pressing the guy? I mean if you wanna have a civil debate by all means but what more do want him to admit?

Edited by Otts486

6 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

fates I'll agree but awakening? I don't see it. I mean awakening's story as far as I can tell is not too bad. If anything it's alright. Not good or great but not terrible either so yeah. I mean it's better than SoV's story I'll tell you that much. Cause unlike SoV, awakening doesn't tend to contradict itself at every turn. Seriously though if there's one thing a story should almost never do is contradict it's own themes/messages. As far as characters are concerned unless you wanna get into a centuries long debate with me on character writing then that's just a matter of personal taste which I will disagree on but whatever opinions will be opinions. I will say on the whole though awakening and fates do have their fair share of pretty well written characters. A good amount of them are fairly charming and have a decent amount of depth and nuance if you dig deep enough.

really? do you gotta keep pressing the guy? I mean if you wanna have a civil debate by all means but what more do want him to admit?

And I respectfully disagree. I felt like Awakening just didn't have a very good story. It has Emmyrean die early in the game, only to be brought back latter on. The villains are absolutely bland, especially Walhart and Validar. Robin felt like he stole the spotlight from Chrom. I don't feel like the second generation fit well into the story. I could on and on, but like Eclipse said, this shouldn't turn into a "Bash Awakening and Fates" thread.

And look, it's fine to disagree, absolutely fine. You saw something in Awakening that I didn't, I just hope Three Houses is an improvement. I think we all want Three Houses to improve from previous titles in some way.

23 minutes ago, Roland said:

While the latter part of Awakening and Fates are pretty low on the FE quality scale, it's hardly the worst writing I've seen in a video game.  The last third of Revelation made me really upset, but it wasn't so bad that I put the game down entirely and refused to play it ever again.  But that's why I adore the Start button.

As for avatar customization?  The 3DS games, at least, tell you what's going to happen to your avatar, somewhat.  FE12's was. . .uh, a bunch of phrases that influenced starting stats and growths in non-intuitive ways.  As much as I adore the DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. . .they take the award for the most cryptic avatar creation by far.  IMO not telling the player how they're influencing their custom character is extremely bad design.

Your issues mostly stem from the DS games, and I think the 3DS games improved on it, drastically.  I strongly suggest playing both of them - there's an English patch out for FE12 (you're on your own for the ROM, though - don't ask us).  Compare the two, and I think it'll make the 3DS era slightly more palatable.

30 minutes ago, Roland said:

I like this sentiment.  But will your actions line up with your words?

22 minutes ago, Decerd said:

CHILL.  It's perfectly fine for people to NOT like the newer games.  Or the older ones.  Or even my favorite game.  But as long as said people are respectful about it, they can have that opinion.

15 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

He's acting like a dirty elitist who thinks Awakening and Fates ruined everything like those crappy GameFaqs users no one likes. He blatantly called them "the worst thing to ever happen to Fire Emblem" without considering the feelings of those that like it. I bet he'd pitch a fit if I smack-talked Radiant Dawn. I'd say more, but, 

5 minutes ago, eclipse said:

CHILL.  It's perfectly fine for people to NOT like the newer games.  Or the older ones.  Or even my favorite game.  But as long as said people are respectful about it, they can have that opinion.

Clearly we need to stop this. At least she understands what I'm getting at. Hmph.

7 minutes ago, eclipse said:

While the latter part of Awakening and Fates are pretty low on the FE quality scale, it's hardly the worst writing I've seen in a video game.  The last third of Revelation made me really upset, but it wasn't so bad that I put the game down entirely and refused to play it ever again.  But that's why I adore the Start button.

As for avatar customization?  The 3DS games, at least, tell you what's going to happen to your avatar, somewhat.  FE12's was. . .uh, a bunch of phrases that influenced starting stats and growths in non-intuitive ways.  As much as I adore the DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. . .they take the award for the most cryptic avatar creation by far.  IMO not telling the player how they're influencing their custom character is extremely bad design.

Your issues mostly stem from the DS games, and I think the 3DS games improved on it, drastically.  I strongly suggest playing both of them - there's an English patch out for FE12 (you're on your own for the ROM, though - don't ask us).  Compare the two, and I think it'll make the 3DS era slightly more palatable.

I like this sentiment.  But will your actions line up with your words?

Then I guess this is merely a disagreement of opinons. I think Awakening and Fates did it worth, you say otherwise. And hey, that's cool.

I'd like to think so.  

1 minute ago, Decerd said:

He's acting like a dirty elitist who thinks Awakening and Fates ruined everything like those crappy GameFaqs users no one likes. He blatantly called them "the worst thing to ever happen to Fire Emblem" without considering the feelings of those that like it. I bet he'd pitch a fit if I smack-talked Radiant Dawn. I'd say more, but, 

Clearly we need to stop this. At least she understands what I'm getting at. Hmph.

dude like eclipse said F*CKING CHILL he stopped and softened up so why do you feel the need to keep hounding him? I mean I've seen some elitist assholes around the internet believe you me and he is definitely not one of them even if his statements tend to be hyperbolic. Sheesh dude chill. Who hurt you? you need a snickers or something? 

10 minutes ago, Roland said:

And I respectfully disagree. I felt like Awakening just didn't have a very good story. It has Emmyrean die early in the game, only to be brought back latter on. The villains are absolutely bland, especially Walhart and Validar. Robin felt like he stole the spotlight from Chrom. I don't feel like the second generation fit well into the story. I could on and on, but like Eclipse said, this shouldn't turn into a "Bash Awakening and Fates" thread.

Yeah I just pretend those paralogues aren't canon. Even so, It still doesn't detract from the story's overall themes in anyway. I mean it invalidates chrom's entire arch but it's relatively small potatoes all things considered. Also when compared to what Alm does to SoV's story, robin stealing chroms spotlight(Which is something I somewhat disagree with) is relatively mild. But yeah let's just agree to disagree on this one. Unless of course you wanna continue this debate elsewhere. I'm always up for a good discussion like this.

11 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

dude like eclipse said F*CKING CHILL he stopped and softened up so why do you feel the need to keep hounding him? I mean I've seen some elitist assholes around the internet believe you me and he is definitely not one of them even if his statements tend to be hyperbolic. Sheesh dude chill. Who hurt you? you need a snickers or something? 

I am chill. This has been dropped. You tell him to stop being hyperbolic, not me. I am done with this.

Edited by Decerd
Clarification

On 12/24/2018 at 6:55 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

having a gender-balanced cast (and not subjecting over half of your women to kidnapping, sorry not sorry SoV)

Technically, you could say that the entire cast was held hostage at one point or another. Alms army was continuously assaulted by Necrodragons with no hope of escape by Jedah unless Celica sacrificed her soul to Duma, and Celicas army was trapped in Duma tower until the final level.

As for Three Houses, first and foremost I want it to be its own game. Some of Fates problems could be traced to trying to ride off Awakenings successes without realizing why those elements were popular or well received in the first place. It can use elements from past titles, but make sure that Three Houses has its own identity at the end of the day.

As for things I directly want from Awakening... I'd honestly say keep reclassing because it was useful when ironmanning and keep the mindset that everyone is viable but getting RNG blessed/screwed is still a thing. It was fun and encouraging to see a unit that was okay in one playthrough become godly in another, and vice versa. I'm neutral on stuff like pair-up, S-Supports, child units, and the like returning. I won't complain if they come back, and I won't be bothered if they don't. My only request is that if they do come back is that they're implemented well.

As for anything I don't want from Awakening... Honestly, I don't want IS to pull the "character introduces themselves as a trope or gimmick but actually has depth when you read their supports" trick again. It was a cool experiment, and I will not lie that it did help make some characters more memorable due to how my perspective and opinion changed several times as I learned more about them. However, constantly hearing the complaint over and over again that "the characters are just flat gimmicks or one-dimensional tropes" gets annoying, especially when it's not really the case most of the time. I mean, the fact that peoples still claim that Kellam is forgotten by the Shepherds or that Libra's entire character is "people think he's a girl" when their supports clearly prove otherwise (the "joke" is something else entirely in the former's case, and their respective gimmicks are usually only played once or twice before delving into the meat of the support for both characters, if the joke is even made at all) shows how easily this can backfire.

I would add to not be as easy to break as Awakening was, but considering that every game series has its own way of being snapped in half, I'm not keeping my hopes up.

I can only hope the end of Three Houses doesn't have our Avatar die, go to heaven meet people they killed and your army you take to the final boss call you back with a "Wake up 'Avatar', we need you!" 

I felt in Fates that was so slap-dash,  they pretty much copy-pasted Awakening's scenario onto Fates.

As some others have said, Three Houses needs to have its own identity. It's important to learn from the past but also to not let it dictate the future. At the risk of sounding like a parrot, Fates is a good example of being held back by Awakening's success in various areas, Birthright being the most obvious. I don't think Birthright is the worst of the Fates trio, but its attempt to recreate Awakening's experience resulted in bland porridge. It's the IKEA of Fire Emblem, it works and it's inoffensive but come on, we know you can do better!

That being said, Awakening and Fates are sublime games with or without the anime pandering.

As for what I would like to see...

Give us the flexibility of Awakening, the level design and challenge of Conquest, Shadow of Valentia's more grounded characters (not the story though, I find it truly terrible) and I think we have a winning combination! Sounds pretty vague, perhaps, but focus too much on too many little things and you may end up with a whole that isn't cohesive.

What I don't want to see returning from fates or awakening is the damn dating sim.

To a lesser extent I would like a return of RD class mechanics, and skills. The skills in fates and awakening feel a bit too overpowered. And I liked how unique the class path of RD and PoR made each unit feel. Aron and Nephenee were the same class but each felt quite different when you played with them given their distinct growths and lack of ability to continually train them, re-spec and train again. Although you could max every stat with BEXP but I'm not saying lets bring back that mechanic in its entirety.

I will just wait until more is known about the game to decide if I buy it or not. After the disappointment I found with fates and Awakening I really don't want to fork over the cash right on release.

On 12/27/2018 at 8:19 PM, Roland said:

And look, it's fine to disagree, absolutely fine. You saw something in Awakening that I didn't, I just hope Three Houses is an improvement. I think we all want Three Houses to improve from previous titles in some way.

Yeah, Awakening's story is pretty bad all things considered.

The 3 arcs it has are conceptually sound, but don't have nearly enough time to be fleshed out. The Valm arc especially felt like a bunch of filler (and really, putting Tiki in Valm felt like a half-assed attempt to give it some relevance). The story might have been better had it just focused on the continent of Ylisse, so it wouldn't have had to stretch itself out so much. Emmeryn dying certainly did nothing for me. I barely felt anything at her death because I felt like the game had given me no reason to care. She's very thin characteter-wise and didn't have nearly enough time to give the player any emotional attachment before she dies.

And the 2nd generation could have been handled a lot better. I mean really, as soon as Lucina finally reveals herself, that entire "children from the past" subplot is relegated to optional paralogues and has no further influence on the story. Even Lucina herself ends up basically playing the third wheel role as Chrom and Robin still dominate the story.

And yeah....Validar is bad even by dark sorcerer standards, which is a pretty low bar to begin with.

Depends on what we're talking about. 

I'm not a big fan of Awakening/Birthright in the slightest and I thought they were quite boring. Revelations I consider the worst FE game I've ever played.

If Fates Conquest had a better story it could have been easily one of my top 5 FE games but sadly it's one of the worst stories I've experienced not in just in FE but in all of gaming with one of the most hate-able main characters I've had the displeasure of experiencing BUUUUUUUUUT it has some really good gameplay and going through the maps is a lot of fun. It's not perfect but it's some of the best gameplay Fire Emblem has managed to offer.

So I wouldn't mind if 3H had some influence from the gameplay part of Conquest but I don't want to see the story part from that game again. Oh, I'm also fine with S-supports as long as they don't give us kids again and don't let us S-support everyone even if it didn't make any sense.

One thing three houses must take from the 3ds era is the support system, and no I don't mean S-supports, I mean fast building supports and unlimited supports per run with little or no gameplay bonus, being forced to play through the game again to finish a second support chain for one unit is just infuriating. I would like it if they also refined pair up again cause the way fates did it added a lot of extra options for the player and added new strategy in terms of unit positions.

That said I hope they write characters and story better than they did for fates, because that game was full of meh characters and nonsensical story telling 

I want avatars to return (as a unit who is recruited and never seen again in cutscenes except for those where the whole army is the focus), unlimited support conversations (but not bonuses), and online player interaction (I loved My Castle). That's about all I care for from the Fateswakening games.

(I honestly feel that if the whole Grima is Robin bit of Awakening was axed in development, far fewer people would complain about him).

In my opinion the best way to implement an avatar would be as follows:

1. Avatar is recruited in story.
  2. Avatar is as important to the story as Vaike or Azama.
  3. The only screentime the avatar gets are in scenes when the army is in focus, such as a scene in the barracks (sitting on a bench off to the side as the lord or other characters converse) or perhaps the army catching up after the lord is separated from the army. The avatar has no dialogue here.
  4. At the base (perhaps something like the my castle), the avatar is controllable. You can speak to various members of the army.
  5. Supports for the avatar work like Persona's support conversations or are just mostly one-ended
  6. Gameplaywise the avatar is fairly balanced remaining solid from recruitment to the game's end without becoming overpowered
  7. Avatar's death isn't a gameover. (There are games that actually do this. If you want to reset, fine. Otherwise, the lords march on without you. I suppose you control the lord character at base or are simply injured)

Nothing is projected onto the player (Fates), the Avatar wouldn't  be detrimental to other characters (New Mystery), the character couldn't really be a Gary Stu (Fates), nor... whatever the problem was with having Robin as important was (Awakening), and it would be at least a bit more than mere lip-service (Blazing Blade)

Edited by Arcphoenix

Guest Micahl
5 hours ago, Landmaster said:

I'm in the minority who enjoyed Fates and Awakening so I'm pretty fine if Three Houses takes elements from them~

The can leave the Face touching in Japan, though~

Nah your not a majority like awakening and fates it seem like a minor hive nest on this fourm dislike those games. 

I would actually love these to come back from Awakening/Fates

1. The map design from Conquest is easily one the highlights from Fates. More of that would be greatly appreciated.
  2. I like the idea of S ranks, but they should wait until the end of the game like they used to in the credits to say they get married. Also limiting the pairings to about 2-3 like before might be a better direction than the entire cast.
  3. Classes like the Malig Knight and Griffin Rider (done better) would be awesome to have in 3H
  4. While not from the 3DS era, I would absolutely love to see ledge mechanics make a return since they added more depth to the map imo

Other than those I can not really think of anything else I would like to see return that we don't already know made it back in like My Castle. Will just have to wait and see what we will get.

Edited by TheKnightlyNight

• 2 weeks later...

I mean, look at it this way. If the game ends up being a rehash of 3DS Emblem's flaws (which I think it likely will be honestly) at least fans will find a new game to complain about that isn't Awakening and Fates for the 300th time in a row so we can stop this stupid fandom infighting. Frankly I just think it's nice that we're getting a new game to begin with since they seems to hate fans of the pre-Awakening games with a passion (I am NOT buying a Wii U/GBA for the sake of getting to play two games).

On 12/30/2018 at 3:18 PM, Sentinel07 said:

The 3 arcs it has are conceptually sound, but don't have nearly enough time to be fleshed out. The Valm arc especially felt like a bunch of filler (and really, putting Tiki in Valm felt like a half-assed attempt to give it some relevance). The story might have been better had it just focused on the continent of Ylisse, so it wouldn't have had to stretch itself out so much. Emmeryn dying certainly did nothing for me. I barely felt anything at her death because I felt like the game had given me no reason to care. She's very thin characteter-wise and didn't have nearly enough time to give the player any emotional attachment before she dies.

Yeah I agree. Honestly while I don't agree with the fact that awakening's story is bad(it is at the very least competent to say the least) it does have it's fair share of issues. Really all my problems with awakening's story can be summed up in one word "underdeveloped" because that really is all it boils down to. The villains are under developed, the world(kind of) is underdeveloped, some plot points are underdeveloped, emmeryn is underdeveloped(kind of). You get the idea. Really the problem with emmeryn isn't so much that she's underdeveloped but more so because the story is more tell than show. Cause all the pieces are there it's just a lot of it is told to the player rather than shown. 

On 12/30/2018 at 3:18 PM, Sentinel07 said:

And the 2nd generation could have been handled a lot better. I mean really, as soon as Lucina finally reveals herself, that entire "children from the past" subplot is relegated to optional paralogues and has no further influence on the story. Even Lucina herself ends up basically playing the third wheel role as Chrom and Robin still dominate the story.

While I kind of agree with this. It's more so a problem of gameplay story integration. They really had no choice but to leave the other kids in optional paralogues cause whose to say you're gonna pair everyone up. You may just pair up chrom and robin and then be done with it. They really had no choice in the matter.