The Game Awards 2018 Hype/Discussion Thread

Zapp Branniglenn

The Game Awards 2018 airs Thursday, Dec. 6th at 9:00PM EST with a half hour pre-show before then. And the man himself, Geoff Keighley is boasting about more than 10 new games being announced and delivering updates on Twitter this week about presenters. Head to the website for the nominees and info on voting. But if you ask me, the awards are just a formality and the real treats are the great games we played this year, and will play next year. And of course new game reveals and trailers all vying to steal the show like it's E3.

HOT Game announcements this year were: 

And this year's Game of the Year award went to God of War! Whoo! 

Edited by Glennstavos

Since they did showcased Bayonetta 3 from last year's Game Awards, I do think this year they should showcase Fire Emblem: Three Houses this year since it's coming in Spring. I doubt they would showcase any footages for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in the Game Awards 2018 since it's coming soon, but I do think they could showcase some new DLCs for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Edited by King Marth 64

I'm surprised the game awards are actually somewhat exciting these days, at least for actually showing things even if I pretty much don't care a whit for the awards after that. it was horrible when it started.

my wishful hoping is that obsidian would have some control over a fallout game again after the mess that just happened. I would also make some speculation about Baldur's Gate 3 as it holds most similarities with what they've recently been developing (Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny) but the teaser doesn't look anything like it.

Edited by Tryhard

6 hours ago, Tryhard said:

my wishful hoping is that obsidian would have some control over a fallout game again after the mess that just happened.

y'know the major themes of those teaser ads seem to be war and consumerism, so I'm not surprised peoples' minds turn to the Fallout universe. 

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

Sounds like Koei Tecmo's deal is more Winning Post than anything else.

Whoa, what a turn. For those who missed it, the original image was just a flame. I know of their old game Gallop Racer as the inspiration for the bizarre Busted Trifecta web series, but I'm surprised such a game would be introduced under flames and the text "The battle of destiny begins". 

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Thanks very much. I'll be updating the OP with any relevant news I can find. Some juicy tidbits so far but let me know if I miss anything.

I’ll try, most of my attention is seeing if Nintendo shows off Prime 4 or if smash has some surprise haha.

I'm expecting some Smash DLC news and maybe that Skyward Sword port that Nintendo denied existed recently. 

I hear a lot of hopes for Metroid Prime but considering Nintendo's history with that franchise I'd say any expectations for Metroid prime 4 would be overly optimistic. We might get a trilogy port to the switch though.

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

They tend to last almost three hours including the pre show. 

Thank you! :)

That's way too long for me - it starts at 1:30 in the morning for me, hahah! I'll give it a miss this year, hopefully something good will be revealed though.

5 minutes ago, Lau said:

Thank you! :)

That's way too long for me - it starts at 1:30 in the morning for me, hahah! I'll give it a miss this year, hopefully something good will be revealed though.

For me even an hour later so I'll just go enjoying my sleep and find things out in the morning. 

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Red Dead Redemeption 2 won Best Music and today i just learned that Red Dead had music in the first place.

In case you needed more proof that the Game Awards are wack.

I don't know about that, the score for Rdr2 is great.

Also, Obsidian game. I'm sort of surprised it's not isometric due to recent experience.

ss_4fe162d9752bc89c2de14ba549ffb6a6260b0

Edited by Tryhard

NANI?!

Can we please have Persona 5 on the Switch?

EDIT:
No big announcements from Nintendo otherwise. Bummer, I would have loved to see any of their main titles like Zelda or Metroid.

Edited by The Priest

Sorry for the tardiness but I threw up links to all the game announcements in the OP. Had to step out and grab my copy of Smash and just caught up.

It was a good show. The early sweep of several awards by Red Dead 2 had me worried since I already thought it was the prize horse for GOTY. But I was pleasantly surprised to see God of War take it. I still think Spider-Man is the best game of the nominees in terms of objective quality but God of War would have been my second pick. As for the reveals, wow, Ultimate Alliance 3. Who was even dreaming of that? Though perhaps the most bizarre detail is Switch exclusivity. This was not the Marvel game I thought would be revealed tonight lol. The Outer Worlds also looks like a game I will assuredly play. And Mortal Kombat 11's trailer was just excellent.