Why Hel makes sense as the next villian

Brett Ensminger

So the most recent Xenologue reveals that Hel, the Norse equivalent of the Devil (although she would be more akin to Hades from Greek mythology) is going to be the next villain in Fire Emblem Heroes. And that makes ridiculous amounts of sense to me.

So why would Hel have beef with us summoners? Well, I would say that it's probably because we keep taking all her stuff. Hel rules over Helhiem, where all the terrible people like Surtr, Garnef, and Valter would go. You know, those guys we shoved into orbs and then brought back from the dead to fight for us for all eternity? It would make sense that Hel would hate us, because we are constantly taking all the people she's supposed to be cosmically responsible for. Surtr even comments that you plucked him from the realm of the dead when you summon him. If you owned a Deli, you'd be pretty mad if someone kept on coming into your shop, shoved your meats and cheeses into Christmas colored balls and then left without even acknowledging your existence. A large amount of the heroes we summon are dead, and if you go with the multiverse vibe that FEH lays down, its entirely possible that all the orbs we summon from contain the souls of all the characters that died while we were playing there respective games. All the times you reloaded because a character died created an alternate timeline, and the orbs are just a multiversal graveyard of sorts. It could turn out that Fire Emblem Heroes goes full Undertale on us.

I would love it if that's the real reason why she's going to be the next villain. It would be so meta and so perfect if we show up in Helhiem and confront her and she just says "stop taking my stuff". I don't expect it to boil down like that, but it would be great.

Edited by Brett Ensminger

56 minutes ago, Brett Ensminger said:

All the times you reloaded because a character died created an alternate timeline

Not gonna lie, this would be soooo damn cool! I'm really fond of this theory, hell, one of my favourite book series is entirely built upon the existence of multiple timelines/realities ate the same time.
Sadly, however, I don't think IS would create such a complex storyline for FEH, simply because I don't think they feel the need for it. I mean, it sure would be nice to have a story that's more than some typical "vengeance" or "tyrant-emperor destroying the good guys" stuff, but I believe most people don't play FEH for the story.

Have you seen Sigurd's dialogue? Some of the stuff he says implies that he's dead. And even Ayra's case talks about how it's after the Battle of Belhalla. 

And yet another case of how powerful Askr and the Breidablik are, as we can even take control over the souls of the dead.

15 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Hel probably hates that type of players who +10 units that die in their games

I personally have a +1 Laegjarn that I spent a lot of free orbs to get. The funny part is, I sent a lot of other people home to get that second Laegjarn. I wonder if they got revived in there old timelines, or if they just went back to Hel. For that matter, what happens to heroes you merge?

5 minutes ago, Brett Ensminger said:

I personally have a +1 Laegjarn that I spent a lot of free orbs to get. The funny part is, I sent a lot of other people home to get that second Laegjarn. I wonder if they got revived in there old timelines, or if they just went back to Hel. For that matter, what happens to heroes you merge?

I believe the heroes that were sent home they return to the same moment they were summoned. For example... Fallen Cecila only happens during Chapter 5 in Echoes, than she is summoned in FEH and if she is sent home, she will return to the same moment in Chapter 5 of Echoes, but maybe without the memory of what happened in Askr. Of course, there are some unique cases... like Brave Veronica, which is from a timeline where there is no conflict between Askr and Embla, or Surtr which I believe is from a timeline where he is defeated but not killed, because he recognize his defeat  to the summoner but he is still alive. Also, maybe there is some type of "contract" that prevent the heroes to not desobey the Summoner's commands, because villains like Surtr, Grima or Garon would try to kill the summoner once they been summoned. That's why good people like Marth or Lucina would be units in the Embla Empire during the story maps.

About the merged heroes... that's a interesting question... Maybe the Summoner or some type of rite in the World of Zenith that have a way to combine two souls of equal heroes to make a single soul even stronger?