Favorite RPG?

Sub Zero

1 hour ago, Garlyle said:

Rudracover.jpg

I like a lot of RPGs, but I return to this one a lot.

i've seen plenty of old titles fromย SquareSoft, but i've never seen that one before. well, the more you know.

ย 

i also have tons of good RPGs in mind, so it's kinda hard to choose.

i'll say The Legend of Dragoon, simply because i lovedย everything from it andย back in the daysย that game was nuts.

4731_front.jpg

On 12/7/2018 at 10:07 AM, Fenreir said:

i'll say The Legend of Dragoon, simply because i lovedย everything from it andย back in the daysย that game was nuts.

4731_front.jpg

Oh yeah, such an underappreciated game. Of all the four disc games out there, this has got to be my favorite.

hm...nope, can't think of a cooler answer than Legend of Dragoon.

Either Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Fallout: New Vegas, or Mass Effect.

Yeah, I'm only really into western RPGs.ย  I find playing JRPGs to be tiresome.ย  Like, I know they have good stories and all, but they also drag on a lot and pad out gameplay with lots of tedious grinding.ย  And I do speak from experience; I've played Xenogears, Final Fantasy 9, and Final Fantasy 10, among others I can't think of right now.ย  And I enjoyed the story in those games quite a bit, but I often fell asleep playing them.ย  So overall, they're just not my cup of tea.

By comparison, the only "bogged down" moments I can remember in the games I listed as my favorites were the initial Think Tank dialogue in FO: NV's DLC "Old World Blues", the Mako exploration in Mass Effect 1, and the stupidly long tutorial in KotOR II (god, I couldn't get off that boring rock fast enough).

So far, Persona 4 Golden, and I'm just going to post my link here mentioning why I love this entry.

Honorary mention to Final Fantasy X for reasons I won't mention (as it involves religion)ย and TSMFE for introducing me to Persona.

No worries. So long as there's been some time since the last topic ^^

Hmmm, it's a very difficult choice for me. I've played a lot of RPGs and a lot of them have their good points and bad points, and I can't really think of one with more good than bad.

I guess the last one that really hooked me was Ao no Kiseki (or Trails to Azure). The build up was pretty intense, but there were a few cop-outs and the endgame literally didn't matter, which I guess is interesting in itself XD

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

It's basically the combination of Morrowind's limitless freedom combined with Gothic's atmosphere and intensity that I've been waiting for so long. Well, that and it's a lot more polished then either series ever was. Man, back then I was so looking forward to Oblivion and Gothic III and then both of those games turned out to be complete trash.

Trails in the Sky: The 3rd and the greater Kiseki/Trails franchise at large, 9 games of interconnected plot itโ€™s hard to rate them between each otherย at times since you do need former context for the majority of them.

16 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Baldur's Gate 2.

Despite beating it like, fifteen years after I started playing it originally.

I'm still having fun with solo runs through both BG enhanced edition games.

I know the feeling of beating a game years and years after I started playing it.ย 

One of my favorite games of all time Jagged Alliance 2 took me a good 10 years of on and off playing and different files and attempts to finally get right.

I don't have that one single title to name so:
- Golden Sun (pretty sure this was my first exposure to RPGs)
- Persona series (2, 3P, 4G, 5, never played the 1st one)
- Chrono Trigger
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- Mass Effect (up to 3)

On 12/7/2018 at 8:48 PM, Garlyle said:

Rudracover.jpg

I like a lot of RPGs, but I return to this one a lot.

Ah, I've been playing that game just recently. I'm still at the beginning of Riza's route, but its been fun so far (enscribing is a really neat mechanic) and the graphics look great.

ย 

-----------------------------

Chrono Trigger's been always a favourite of mine, along with Final Fantasy 6 for as long as I can remember. The World Ends With You was also incredible, and I intent to replay that one day.

Honourable mention to Super Mario RPG. Not as great as the ones I've mentioned already imo, but its enjoyable for what it is

54 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Ah, I've been playing that game just recently. I'm still at the beginning of Riza's route, but its been fun so far (enscribing is a really neat mechanic)

Riza's route is actually the hardest one. Too bad it came out so late, 96 was Psx era. I also really liked FF6

shoutout before I forget to Planescape: Torment as well, which I played well after the fact, for being one of the better stories, if not the best for an RPG that I know of. The problem being that the gameplay is not very exciting or well, good. which is unfortunate as a complete package.

Edited by Tryhard

The Mother franchise will always hold a special place in my heart. Definitely one of my favorite experiences with an RPG. Persona's also really great and Undertale was a nice spin on the genre. I also love-hate the Neptunia series. Definitely an unusual playstyle but painfully grindy in some parts and the level design was meh. The series has a charm to it though and the gameplay is interesting to say the least.

If Strategy RPGs count, then Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. I can honestly and easily say that it is my favourite video game of all time. It's the first Fire Emblem game I ever played, and I absolutely love it: the gameplay, the level design, the characters, the story, the worldbuilding, all of it.ย 

If not, then... Megaman Battle Network 5: Team Colonel. Battle Network is probably my favourite version of Mega Man, and this game stands out among all the ones that I played. The gameplay was excellent (I even liked the liberation stages), and I really enjoyed the story and the characters. The only real problems with it that come to mind are the odd bad translations: "Mr. Famous? What am I doing here?" And that's a minor issue.ย 

For Western RPGs in particular... I haven't played very many of them, to be honest. It's basically just The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition. I can't really list The Witcher 3 as I only got started on it recently and I'm not very far. So, I guess Dragon Age: Inquisition wins by default.ย 

Honourable Mentions:

• I will always look back on Xenoblade Chronicles 1 for its story, worldbuilding, and creative concept for a world (I don't think I would have ever come up with, "In a world where all life lives on the bodies of two humanoid continent-sized titans, the humanlike people are in a war with a robotic army that only one weapon has been able to defeat). But I will hesitate about replaying it because of the combat and the terrible sidequests.ย 
  • Megaman Starforce 1, 2 and 3. Yes, I even like Starforce 2 (I honestly don't understand why it's the least-liked of the three. Well, I guess one of them would inevitably be the least-liked of the three). I enjoy the combat, even though it became less about tactics and more about reaction time. I really like the story, the characters, and the simple yet beautiful theme of the series that all of us are better when we have people who love us, which is explored thoroughly throughout the games and given plenty of depth.ย 

Etrian Odyssey, i'm basically in love with the series. It had EVERYTHING i ever asked an RPG to have, really. But i have a VERY specific criteria for a game i like and it just so happen in current day and age, those specific criteria is only found on handheld games

ย 

On 12/13/2018 at 9:11 AM, vanguard333 said:
  • Megaman Starforce 1, 2 and 3. Yes, I even like Starforce 2 (I honestly don't understand why it's the least-liked of the three. Well, I guess one of them would inevitably be the least-liked of the three). I enjoy the combat, even though it became less about tactics and more about reaction time. I really like the story, the characters, and the simple yet beautiful theme of the series that all of us are better when we have people who love us, which is explored thoroughly throughout the games and given plenty of depth.ย 

Largely because MMSF2 is the peak of Capcom's silliness, and its story is not well liked iirc. Granted MMSF1 is safer for being the first(TM), but MMSF3 refined so many things from BN and SF for imo the most complete game of the BNSF series so it made sense 2 is the least liked