What do you think the HM cap should ultimately become?

Namero

Does anybody else feel like the HM cap desperately needs to be raised? If so, what do you think it should ultimately be increased to? What do you think are the reasons they may choose to raise it again in the future or not?

I was recently doing some weekly feather grinding when I came to the horrific realization that my many remaining projects may just be pipe dreams.

5c0c9bd698479_fullcatalog.thumb.png.8c1e6c3dd667f1b2575f75036b28aa2b.png5c0c9bff76041_fullHM.thumb.png.9b8a8fb2cd6e79ee26484202e167064c.png

I've already maxed out the HM of all 316 heroes, so there goes my primary feather source! And we only get about eight new units per month. That along with remaining in tier 21 and such is only enough for a measly three or so promotes per month. Nowhere near enough when you constantly have to waste 20k just to give a single unit a single notable skill/weapon like Galeforce/Aether/[insert weapon]+.

I remember feathers being the single worst thing about this game at launch. But the HM and its steady increases somewhat mitigated it, albeit only temporarily. I think that in the future they need to provide a means of inheriting skills without having to blow so many feathers. (Maybe an option where you choose to inherit a single promoted skill from a non-promoted unit at the cost of a few orbs or something else reasonable.) And I feel like the HM cap should be at least 20,000; it costs that much to to promote a single unit, so for every brand new unit you get, you essentially get one promote to go along with that.

Well, I'm sadly nowhere near close to maxing out the units I have, much less all the ones in the game, so I can't say I think it needs to be raised all that urgently~ However, I do think they will eventually have it go up to 9000~

It hasn't been raised since April, so I think it's overdue.  I myself have 132 heroes maxed out through mostly Tempest Trials; I don't like grinding through Rival Domains.  I think they'll raise it either after this upcoming Feh Channel ends or by the 2-year anniversary in February to 6000 HM. 

If the game can stay healthy, I can't fathom that there'd be an ultimate maximum limit since the display screen for HM on each character can hold up to 6 digits (so 999,500 or 999,999?!).  If there were an absolute maximum, perhaps 10000 HM?

I see them raising it at least once, likely twice, a year by increments of 1000 each time to commemorate a special event/anniversary.

33 minutes ago, Namero said:

And I feel like the HM cap should be at least 20,000; it costs that much to to promote a single unit, so for every brand new unit you get, you essentially get one promote to go along with that.

12 minutes ago, DarkAlf said:

If the game can stay healthy, I can't fathom that there'd be an ultimate maximum limit since the display screen for HM on each character can hold up to 6 digits (so 999,500 or 999,999?!).  If there were an absolute maximum, perhaps 10000 HM?

Yeah. I think Hero Merit should be massively increased. 20,000 is a good minimum, and it will be great if they can actually increase it to 999,999. Until they come up with more things to do, they should at least let players grind in the mean time to give us something to do.

3 hours ago, Vince777 said:

There's a cap to be another incentive to use more units. I'm fine with it being rather low.

This is a good point. As someone who doesn't do HM farming, I'm not even close to even maxing out the units I use the most. And I honestly think that goes for the majority of players probably. So I doubt that raising the cap is really necessary for most players and for them raising it would mean there's no incentive for them to use different units anymore, they could just farm HM from the same units for a looooong time.

HM farming sounds way too tedious for rewards too small for me to invest any time in.

I can't even imagine the amount of investment that was put into this game by the person saying he's got 132 maxed out units. I play Heroes every day and I've only got 4. 

Edited by Vince777

I have 3 units maxed out to 5k. Robin (duh). Lucina and PA!Azura. Followed by B!Ike at 4,720 and Joshua at 4,065. Otherwise, my next closest are in the low 3,000 and high 2000's. Haha. Clearly I don't alternate my units enough. 

I personally don't really care about the max, since I'm clearly never reaching towards it. But I think a 7000 cap seems reasonable. If they jump it to like 20k, it seems rather ridiculous.

9 hours ago, Vince777 said:

There's a cap to be another incentive to use more units. I'm fine with it being rather low.

I completely agree here. 5,000 seems to be the magic number here. I rarely go out of my way to grind for feathers outside of TT and Forging Bonds, in fact I only used the Rival Domains method only a couple times and that had to have been several months ago.

Speaking of grinding, a good number of people exploit the feather system and use 3rd party software to automatically repeat the process which honestly annoys me. For me it feels cheap, and I’d argue it borders on cheating. I’d much rather not have such people rewarded by raising the cap. We’ll always be getting new units anyways so it’s not like people will run out. 

6 hours ago, Mau said:

This is a good point. As someone who doesn't do HM farming, I'm not even close to even maxing out the units I use the most. And I honestly think that goes for the majority of players probably. So I doubt that raising the cap is really necessary for most players and for them raising it would mean there's no incentive for them to use different units anymore, they could just farm HM from the same units for a looooong time.

I actually agree with you.  Most folks aren't as dedicated, especially more casual players, when it comes to farming HM.  I'd be fine with not raising the cap for a while since otherwise I'd use the same TT team every time if the cap were suddenly raised massively. 

There's no realistic way that the cap itself will go to 999,999; I was just being theoretical here.  That's why I think the cap will only go up by 1000-2000 a year, if that.  I still wouldn't mind an increase to 6000, though, but I won't cry if it doesn't happen soon.

6 hours ago, Vince777 said:

I can't even imagine the amount of investment that was put into this game by the person saying he's got 132 maxed out units. I play Heroes every day and I've only got 4. 

I find it a very fun challenge to use different teams in Tempest Trials that haven't maxed out HM on Lunatic 7.  There's no other time I use Stamina Potions, so I may as well use them here.  You get about 40 a month from quests and logging in, and I usually spend about 35 on TT.  It also helps to have a 90-minute commute each way to work via commuter and light rail trains, so right there that's 3 hours a weekday for grinding during TT.

Many folks like playing with their favorites only, and I'm perfectly fine with that!  I don't have a specific favorite unit; I like using a variety of units.

23 minutes ago, Silverly said:

Speaking of grinding, a good number of people exploit the feather system and use 3rd party software to automatically repeat the process which honestly annoys me. For me it feels cheap, and I’d argue it borders on cheating. I’d much rather not have such people rewarded by raising the cap. We’ll always be getting new units anyways so it’s not like people will run out. 

I don't use 3rd party software like some other folks do in Rival Domains.  My grinding takes place on Tempest Trials on Lunatic 7 manually.  (You all have every right to call me a raving lunatic [pun absolutely intended] when it comes to grinding! :lol:)  I've placed in Top 1000 every time since at least February.  Grinding has helped me get 4 5*+10 units for Arena Assault as a F2P.

That being said, to each their own style; I won't judge someone if they decide to use software.

Like some others have already stated, I agree that there should be no particular "ultimate" cap. Rather, I'm fine with them periodically raising the cap a little at a time, as they have been doing. The current 5k cap has likely been more than enough for most people, but I do expect them to raise the cap on that at some point. I think an adjustment to 6k sometime soon sounds like a reasonable ask. I see no reason to currently project a limit, given they can keep raising the limit over the lifespan of the game.

9999 would be pretty perfect. It would be a perfect cap-off honestly. Kind of a dick move to stop literally right before the last 500 feathers but they could just remedy this by giving you the 500 feathers once you reach 9999, who says you have to have that last HM, right?

Anything past 9999 feels wrong to me and would probably feel cluttered on screen or look bad if they shrunk the text. 

I am f2p like a lot of you, and what the cap has done for me is forced me to improve units not named Micaiah (SD), Fjorm and Veronica. (I know...a weird trio to be my primary team, but they all do some work without major effort.) Like other people I mainly only grind during Tempest Trials and you can see that with Jamke, Baby Azura and Ethlyn all being above 1500, and Dorcas (Halloween) almost being there too.

The problem is, when I see low numbers of feathers it just feels intimidating to even start the process. The way I currently play is just to focus all of my efforts on using the current Arena Team in other modes if possible. So Helbindi, Laevatein and Ylgr will probably get up to a 1000 over the next couple of weeks. But I can't even begin to think of intentionally grinding someone like Kaze or Sophia who I apparently have never used at all.