What did fates’ story do right?

Ottservia

Conquest isn't really a villain campaign. At least, it's not in that the developers were too cowardly to take a villain faction like Nohr and follow through serving her to its ultimate end (see Corrin always getting excuses or some way to win without getting his hands too bloody when it counts at that time).

Agreed on developer cowardice, disagree that this invalidates the villainous of the route though! Corrin may not commit the worst atrocities herself, but there's no doubt his/her actions pave the way for the atrocities to occur. It's a tough balance; sometimes I think they go too far in the cowardice direction (Rainbow Sage comes to mind) but at other times it feels important for Corrin to maintain plausible deniability in that what he/she is doing is ultimately "good", which is important because "Corrin believes he/she is good and justified" is necessary to make the story work.

Starburst's comments about the game opening the door are pretty on point to me; Conquest asked some pretty interesting questions even if the writers obviously didn't always have the chops to answer them in a satisfying way themselves.

Though it's minor, I like how you, the player, can choose whether or not to recruit Shura in Conquest.  While it has no lasting impact on the overall plot, it's a lot better than the usual "all's forgiven, fight for us" mentality.

We're obviously meant to see Corrin as a paragon of virtue. He always get a way to not really be accountable for the atrocities (it's always the dastardly Nohrians like Iago doing them or her siblings like Ryoma excuse him). She gets a silly plan to save the world by terrorizing a peace-loving kingdom so that he can invade Hoshido but still not be an outright villain. Then her little brother gets a forced "fall from grace" arc in order for one of Hoshido's royals to be CQ's final boss but Corrin can still be sympathetic.

Looked critically, Corrin would be down there with past villains like Michalis (or Hetzel if you want to play up the cowardice). The game doesn't have the strength to admit to this.

I kinda liked how oppressive the story was on Corrin in Conquest, where Garon, Iago, and Hans lord over Corrin and the Nohrian siblings. It matched the high difficulty of the gameplay to create a unified feeling across both the story and the gameplay, you get screwed over in the story and forced to deal with sadistic enemy loadouts and formations.

I mean wouldn't it have been amazing if Corrin would have been proactive in Conquest instead of waiting for the last possible moment to revolt.

Like allying himself with the rebellions he put down, then convincing his siblings that their father is a warmongering dick to then declare Civil War and with the help of Hoshido oust Garon from power? That way we have both political intrigue and a way to make amends with the Hoshidan siblings.

Edited by Bagfisch

1 hour ago, Bagfisch said:

I mean wouldn't it have been amazing if Corrin would have been proactive in Conquest instead of waiting for the last possible moment to revolt.

Like allying himself with the rebellions he put down, then convincing his siblings that their father is a warmongering dick to then declare Civil War and with the help of Hoshido oust Garon from power? That way we have both political intrigue and a way to make amends with the Hoshidan siblings.

...its story-telling malpractice that he didn't...

What did Fates story do right???

It Ended. 

On 1-1-2019 at 4:47 AM, Lief said:

I kinda liked how oppressive the story was on Corrin in Conquest, where Garon, Iago, and Hans lord over Corrin and the Nohrian siblings. It matched the high difficulty of the gameplay to create a unified feeling across both the story and the gameplay, you get screwed over in the story and forced to deal with sadistic enemy loadouts and formations.

I think that's a bit of a low point especially with Iago because he never gets the upper hand against the royals on his own merits. He's always just annoyingly smug and hides behind Garon's skirt whenever Xander starts getting even a little angry. It might have worked if Iago actually managed to outsmart, blackmail or threaten the siblings but he's just a low level troll who's lucky enough that Garon wants him around despite thinking very lowly of him.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked how in the first six chapters you get to see some of Nohr and Hoshido. It helps impact the decision to side with the people that raised you like family, your family, or siding with neither of them. Plus, it could be really good for someone that isn't sure which route they want to choose.