Why everyone hates Rebecca?

Guest Bergelomeu

Guest Bergelomeu

Ok, I have seen loads and loads of people saying that ''Rebecca is trash lol''.

I just don't get it. I know that Wil comes with the Lyn Story ''bonus'' and some-what medium growths but...What makes her THAT bad?

It's because Archers are probably the worst class in GBA Emblem, if not the entire series. This is made even worse in FE7 because effective weapons only have double might as opposed to the triple they usually get, so Rebecca's not even that good at killing flyers. She cannot compete with anyone who use Javelins, Hand Axes, or magic.

Add onto this the general backlash against Waifuism. Because she's a cute girl she gets popularly points from some for the whole "waifu" factor. Others push against that resulting in the apparent hate for the character. It's not dissimilar to how parts of the fandom turned again Lyn, execpt Rebecca is even worse of a unit than her.

in terms of an actual unit she is just really bad and she is a little girl to make it worse so all the weebs flaunt her. Like shes in Heroes before so many others that deserve it more because shes a little girl.  

Pretty sure Rebecca > Will is an uncontroversial statement, since it least Rebecca has an easier time getting to double.

In any case they are both terrible. Archers have awful bases and no enemy phase in exchange for... well, nothing. Like, you would think as units who can only fight on player phase, they would at least be good at that. But nope.

Edited by BrightBow

48 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

in terms of an actual unit she is just really bad and she is a little girl to make it worse so all the weebs flaunt her. Like shes in Heroes before so many others that deserve it more because shes a little girl.  

It's one thing to criticise a character, it's another to insult her fans by calling them "weebs". Rather immature

Simply put, archers are limited by their class. They have no enemy phase, which hurts when enemy phase is when most of the action happens. It doesn't help that archers are best used for chip damage. Making matters worse, killing an enemy gives much more exp than just damaging one, and thus archers are likely to fall behind unless you go out of your way for their sake.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shuuda said:

Add onto this the general backlash against Waifuism. Because she's a cute girl she gets popularly points from some for the whole "waifu" factor. Others push against that resulting in the apparent hate for the character. It's not dissimilar to how parts of the fandom turned again Lyn, execpt Rebecca is even worse of a unit than her.

1 hour ago, Zihark11 said:

Strange.  I haven't seen many Rebecca fans, much less people who consider her their waifu.

37 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

It's one thing to criticise a character, it's another to insult her fans by calling them "weebs". Rather immature

Its not being immature. its just making a statement that is founded to be correct more often then not. if somebody is actually a weeb they wouldn't be insulted by being called a weeb cause they know what they are. 

I like her as a character and used her a bunch when I first started playing.

Shes a perfectly serviceable unit if you're just playing for fun and to use characters that you like and aren't going for any kind of efficiency or LTC--she joins early, gets plenty of time to grab EXP, and and has enough growths to double and kill things at higher levels.

She just requires so much babying in the beginning. And because she can only use bows (in a game with no close counter and where 1-2 range crossbows / short bows / magic bows aren't a thing), shes never going to be the star performer in the endgame that you would want an initially weak unit you put that much time and effort into leveling to be. 

Using her as an unpromoted archer in the early game is a liability. 

Using her as a sniper in the lategame burns a team slot you could be using to run another paladin or sage or flier or we/e.

If you really want a bow-user on your team its almost always better to use Rath. Since he doesn't have that weak early game where he starts out as a liability rather than an asset. Then when you get him he immediately joins with a horse + enough weapon rank to use the brave bow, and requires very little in the way of team support or babying to start murdering midgame enemies with said brave bow + get the exp he needs to level up.

...and then has superior movement, access to swords, and more reliable strength + bulk after he promotes.

_________

Rebecca as a character is great though 

55 minutes ago, Raven said:

Also Raven x Rebecca is my OTP.

Leave Lucius's boyfriend alone.

Rebecca x Lowen for life. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

It's one thing to like her as a character. She's Dart's sister, so she gets immediate cool points from me.

But as a unit? She's an Archer. With bad bases. It's one of the cases where you can just look at a character and go "Yeah, this is an awful unit" just by those two things alone. I'm also typically the "Oh, anyone can be usable!" kind of people, but Rebecca's hot on the heels of Wallace in the competition for worst unit in FE7. Her growths aren't even that good to make up for her bases.

Wil's also an awful unit, so comparing her to him really only goes to show how bad both are. You really have to go far out of your way to use either of them reliably. Or at all, really, since even their situational uses are pretty rare.

Edited by Slumber

12 minutes ago, Emperor Chiam Longblade said:

Wait..People call Rebecca bad? 

I used her alot in my multiple playthroughs..She's pretty decent if you're willing to baby her a little.

Honestly, every Archer in the GBA games is called bad.

53 minutes ago, Emperor Chiam Longblade said:

I used her alot in my multiple playthroughs..She's pretty decent if you're willing to baby her a little.

Bad is only relative to other units. She can become decent if you train her, but in terms of cost vs reward she comes out as one of the weakest units in FE7.

3 hours ago, Garlyle said:

I may be one of the few who thinks that Rebecca > Wil

Eh, you're probably not alone. Wil's even more shafted in terms of relevance than her.

As for Rebecca, at this point I'd use her in BS despite herself. Archers have got a bad nice in GBA, she's not that exceptional and her biggest credit is she isn't Wil.

I mean, she's not relevant in Heroes. Still have a 5* version (to be fair, not quite by choice).

FE 7 is about the only FE game where I don't use archers and don't have one on my end team because of how bad their stats are.  I like Rebecca as a character, but in FE 7 mages>archers.  I have only used her on one time because I wanted to see how well she would do.  Needless to say I will only be using mages as my ranged units in FE 7 from that file on, since the RNG Goddess hated her.

2 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

Stating the performance of a unit is not hate. It's stating a fact

^

I like Rebecca. But she's not a good unit. She's certainly usable if you put the effort in, and I do think she's better than Wil, but that's not exactly a high bar.

In regards to Rebecca > Will the tale goes like this:

(told in HHM voice)

Eliwood: "Alright, we have to meet up with Hector and have to fight through a bunch of fliers and bandits. Who is with me?"
Lowen: "I'm much worse than Marcus and can't take much hits."
Dorcas: "Guess I'm around Lowen's level."
Bartre: "Hey, guys, what's Spd?"
E: *facepalms* "I'm surrounded by scrubs."
Marcus: "Leave the boss to me. But I won't babysit you if I LTC this."
Rebecca: "I'm an Archer."
E: "You're useless then!"
R: "But I deal way more damage to these annoying fliers than you or Lowen, sire. You can stab whatever is left of them and sack the EXP."
E: "Hm, you make a fine point. Fulfill your duty then."
*whispers behind her back*
E: "We ditch her as soon as we become good."
M: "But Milord that will take forever! We can't drag an Archer the whole game around!"
E: "Shut up, Marcus."

*later*
Hector: "Ey, you made it. Wait, what is that Archer doing here?"
E: "Well, do I look like I had a choice here? Never mind that none of us besides Marcus can kill stuff in a single round. It's free EXP for us."
H: "Point taken. When are we ditching her?"
E: "Once we meet up with Lyn and get some actually good units."

*later in Chapter 16*
Lyn: "Finally, the protagonists have arrived. Guess, I will make myself relevant by delivering my OP Cavaliers to them. Wait, Sain, are you already a Paladin?"
Wil: "I will help, too!"
Lyn: "How?"
W: "Uhhh, there are 2 Pegasus Knights near us, I guess?"
Lyn: "..."

Wil was never heard of again.

Edited by The Priest

I don't hate her. I hate her heroes art since I think it looks bad, but Rebecca is mostly off the hook. I love her sprite in FE7, since she has my two favorite colors featured prominently, but it's hard to find a place for an archer in FE7. Like, she's better than Wil, but that's like saying that your head cut off is better than being burned alive, technically true but the result is the same, you wind up dead for my example, and you end up with a subpar unit who takes a spot that another, better unit could take. That said, use who you want to, I could care less, it's your playthrough. 

3 hours ago, Emperor Chiam Longblade said:

There's her main weakness: she has to be babied. The more a unit needs to be babied, the less likely he/she is worth it.

Edited by BLSoldier

4 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Honestly, every Archer in the GBA games is called bad.

Well, it's not quite like that. The Snipers are all decent. Especially in FE6 with it's crazy powerful Wyvern.

Edited by BrightBow