6 Years After Release

ArgentSable

And I've come back to replay it another time, and this time with the info from Heroes and SoV regarding Grima and extra characterization really makes the story much better in my eyes.

Grima has a purpose and an origin know (he should have had this in Awakening to begin with but that's an old topic) and it gives him a more human side. The gameplay is still broken but fun and the characters are still lovable as hell (turns to Olivia and Inigo namely).

Anybody else return to the game after years and find it better cause of the extra stuff added in lore?

I had more of the opposite effect. Awakening is Grima's game. The fact that you needed a remake of a different game and a non-canon spinoff to flesh out and explain your main antagonist that the whole story revolves around only makes it that much weaker in the context of its own story.

It's nice that Heroes and SoV expanded on Grima, but I consider those strong points of those games, not Awakening. And the fact that these games have this, while Awakening filled game time with Valm just makes it feel like they didn't have these ideas in mind during Awakening's development, and other people realized that they made an uber powerful villain with no explanation or noteworthy traits.

Edited by Slumber

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I had more of the opposite effect. Awakening is Grima's game. The fact that you needed a remake of a different game and a non-canon spinoff to flesh out and explain your main antagonist that the whole story revolves around only makes it that much weaker in the context of its own story. Like, you couldn't have used the filler-y Valm arc for this?

It's nice that Heroes and SoV expanded on Grima, but I consider those strong points of those games, not Awakening.

Hmm I see your point, and I will agree that they should have fleshed them out here in Awakening (if they ever remake Awakening like SoV I hope they do this for Pete's sake).

But yeah I agree with you.

2 minutes ago, ArgentSable said:

Hmm I see your point, and I will agree that they should have fleshed them out here in Awakening (if they ever remake Awakening like SoV I hope they do this for Pete's sake).

But yeah I agree with you.

I might be overly harsh on Awakening on this, since I've grown jaded on that game in general. I don't really hold it against it that it has a weak main villain, since plenty of FEs do(Look at my favorite FE game). It's just more irksome to me that they give Grima this attention after the fact.

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I might be overly harsh on Awakening on this, since I've grown jaded on that game in general. I don't really hold it against it that it has a weak main villain, since plenty of FEs do(Look at my favorite FE game). It's just more irksome to me that they give Grima this attention after the fact.

Mind you Thracia is still a great game. Going off topic I replayed it and it's really fun (though the combat takes some getting used too).

But I took the whole Grima thing and took it in stride (as I try to do with IS' frequent story blunders in some games). I just hope they do this for all the bad guys in Fire Emblem, give them deeper backstory since it will hopefully lead to better lore overall.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not certain Grima required an origin story/motivations to begin with. He's the big bad, sure, but the game's major antagonist is really Validar. I think it's perfectly fine for Grima to be just 'hurr durr evil kill everything' if the game's other villains can pick up the slack with respect to things like evil motivation.

I quite like Gangrel as a villain, but I'm not certain the other villains have picked up that slack. Still...

25 minutes ago, soly said:

To be perfectly honest, I'm not certain Grima required an origin story/motivations to begin with. He's the big bad, sure, but the game's major antagonist is really Validar. I think it's perfectly fine for Grima to be just 'hurr durr evil kill everything' if the game's other villains can pick up the slack with respect to things like evil motivation.

I quite like Gangrel as a villain, but I'm not certain the other villains have picked up that slack. Still...

Yeah the biggest missing link enemy wise is Walhart. They explain his motivations post death, but it would be better if we knew what his intentions were during the war and that way, we the audience would actually know that  we in a way were the bad guys for once.

That being said yeah Gangrel was well done. His hatred was well warranted too considering Chrom's dad literally tried to commit genocide if I recall. And Validar, well he's the Gharnef of this game, wants infinite power and his dragon daddy to notice him. Not bad but nothing new.