Jump to content
ArgentSable

First Time, Advice Posts !

Recommended Posts

So, first time playing PoR (my PC couldn't handle it before, but I finally upgraded after alot of saving and I'm able to run it reliably). And since I'm new, I've only ever seen the occasional video, heard alot about ship wars (Ike x Soren seems to be a huge one, though I've already read up on this topic) and kinda know how stuff works, but only a bit.

 

Any advice that can be granted to a PoR and eventual RD newb?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Redheads rule (Tormod is debatable, but I adore him).

Otherwise, do what you'd normally do in a FE game, and you'll probably be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Redheads rule (Tormod is debatable, but I adore him).

Otherwise, do what you'd normally do in a FE game, and you'll probably be fine.

So biorythm (or however it's spelled or called) isnt such a huge deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ArgentSable said:

So biorythm (or however it's spelled or called) isnt such a huge deal?

No, you will only notice the biorythm when a unit is being poorer than usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tellius games are pretty fun! I've only played them twice so far but here's my advice:

  • PoR is one of the easier FE games so you'll probably be fine no matter who you use. RD is harder (mostly in the early chapters) so you might want to pick a few units to focus on.
  • Biorhythm isn't a big deal in PoR but it is in RD.
  • There are two characters in PoR that are tricky to recruit without a guide (spoilers):
Spoiler

re-recruiting Shinon - talk to him with Rolf and then defeat him with Ike

Stefan - move Lethe or Mordecai to a specific tile in the top right corner of the desert chapter

  • In PoR once you remove a skill from a character you don't get it back, but in RD you can re-equip skills so go nuts.
  • Level ups from bonus exp are random in PoR, and in RD they will always increase 3 stats as long as they aren't capped out.
  • Shoving units is really helpful when someone needs just a little extra movement and also it's just funny to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Zkitty8 said:

The Tellius games are pretty fun! I've only played them twice so far but here's my advice:

  • PoR is one of the easier FE games so you'll probably be fine no matter who you use. RD is harder (mostly in the early chapters) so you might want to pick a few units to focus on.
  • Biorhythm isn't a big deal in PoR but it is in RD.
  • There are two characters in PoR that are tricky to recruit without a guide (spoilers):
  Reveal hidden contents

re-recruiting Shinon - talk to him with Rolf and then defeat him with Ike

Stefan - move Lethe or Mordecai to a specific tile in the top right corner of the desert chapter

  • In PoR once you remove a skill from a character you don't get it back, but in RD you can re-equip skills so go nuts.
  • Level ups from bonus exp are random in PoR, and in RD they will always increase 3 stats as long as they aren't capped out.
  • Shoving units is really helpful when someone needs just a little extra movement and also it's just funny to watch.

Oh so unit skills and the like pass unto Radiant Dawn? Or did I miss-understand that entirely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ArgentSable said:

So biorythm (or however it's spelled or called) isnt such a huge deal?

It's not really something to worry about... at least in PoR. Well, unless you're Boyd or Makalov, who have a skill that doubles biorhythm effects, in which case it can occasionally hinder them. It is a big deal in Radiant Dawn, however.

8 minutes ago, ArgentSable said:

Oh so unit skills and the like pass unto Radiant Dawn? Or did I miss-understand that entirely?

In a word: No.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- Ike promotes after capter 17, so have him at a high level at this time.

- The final boss is only vulnerable to Ike and some other units. Ike is the best way to go, so keep having him enough strength and speed.

-Chapter 27 has an optional boss, who is difficult to beat and requires luck as well. Thats why the game gives you the option to flee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ArgentSable said:

Oh so unit skills and the like pass unto Radiant Dawn? Or did I miss-understand that entirely?

No, I mean that in Radiant Dawn you can take off a character's skills (as long as they aren't locked) and then give the skills to other characters if they have room. In Path of Radiance you can't do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ike is good in both. Great tank, due to his growths. most likely the best unit in PoR. He promotes by the end of the chapters 17, so make sure to not overuse him if he's close to lv 20.

Don't bother with Shinon, Devdan and Malakov, they aren't worth using.

Edited by DiogoJorge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For PoR, use whoever you want, its the easiest FE that ive played. Just finished my hard mode run and it wasnt hard at all. RD is much harder but gives you the option to cheese endgame by bringing all laguz royals, i did it to see their battle conversations and their stats at lvl 40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PoR western release without Japan's maniac mode is super easy and forgiving to first timers. 

RD is mostly just hard in the first arch / early chapters and some of the later chapters where you play as Micaiah and her faction, because your main lord goes *squish* to everything and most of your units are kinda trash. But the difficulty drops off pretty hard in the mid to late game once the game starts throwing monsters like Haar and the Griel Mercenaries and the Laguz royals into your line-up.

For first time PoR, general advise that I give out to new players:   
 

  • The advantage of being a flier or on horseback is even higher then usual in this game, due to the way the "Canto" skill works (you'll see what I mean) . All your cavaliers are peg knights and wyvern riders are busted. Play accordingly
  •  Be aware that you can only use the [Forge] once per chapter
  • PoR throws ridiculous amounts of gold at you--more than you'll ever need to stock your entire army with regular weapons and items--so don't be afraid to hit the forge every chapter. You're in no danger of running out of funds.
  • A forged weapon with improved might and accuracy can turn even the jankiest underleveled unit into an immediately competent attacker , capable of  consistently hitting and damaging enemies and getting the kills needed to level up. If a unit joins underleveled or is starting to drop off, but you really like them and want to see them take off, consider hitting the forge and giving them some custom war gear. 
  • Take the time to go through all of the barrack conversations and narrative text and cut scene dialogue. Fe's writing is at its strongest in the Tellius games. You're doing yourself a disservice if you're playing through the game for the first time without slowing down to appreciate it and take it all in.    


    ...thats all I got...

    Enjoy!
Edited by Shoblongoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

PoR western release without Japan's maniac mode is super easy and forgiving to first timers. 

RD is mostly just hard in the first arch / early chapters and some of the later chapters where you play as Micaiah and her faction, because your main lord goes *squish* to everything and most of your units are kinda trash. But the difficulty drops off pretty hard in the mid to late game once the game starts throwing monsters like Haar and the Griel Mercenaries and the Laguz royals into your line-up.

For first time PoR, general advise that I give out to new players:   
 

  • The advantage of being a flier or on horseback is even higher then usual in this game, due to the way the "Canto" skill works (you'll see what I mean) . All your cavaliers are peg knights and wyvern riders are busted. Play accordingly
  •  Be aware that you can only use the [Forge] once per chapter
  • PoR throws ridiculous amounts of gold at you--more than you'll ever need to stock your entire army with regular weapons and items--so don't be afraid to hit the forge every chapter. You're in no danger of running out of funds.
  • A forged weapon with improved might and accuracy can turn even the jankiest underleveled unit into an immediately competent attacker , capable of  consistently hitting and damaging enemies and getting the kills needed to level up. If a unit joins underleveled or is starting to drop off, but you really like them and want to see them take off, consider hitting the forge and giving them some custom war gear. 
  • Take the time to go through all of the barrack conversations and narrative text and cut scene dialogue. Fe's writing is at its strongest in the Tellius games. You're doing yourself a disservice if you're playing through the game for the first time without slowing down to appreciate it and take it all in.    


    ...thats all I got...

    Enjoy!

Yeah I planned on taking the story really slow as I always do. I'm the kind of player that runs through the game reading anything and everything (I got all the Supports in Awakening, the majority in 7 and 8, and I'm missing only a few in Shadow Dragon and New Mystery as well as SoV). But it's good to know the righting is on point.

 

Also thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two of your units will leave early on. You can get them back later, but it'll take some doing (the first requires you to talk to him with the other unit you can recruit in that same chapter; she's level 1 however, so make it quick - as in turn 1 quick if you can; shoving Ike will help in this regard. On that note, shoving requires a unit's Build to be at most 2 less then the weight of the unit being shoved). The other was already stated (talk to him with Rolf - the unit in question will actually talk to Rolf himself if he can reach him - then defeat him with Ike).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random mode makes units level up like every other fire emblem, fixed mode makes their stats be very close to their averages with only minor variations based on weapons and unit types killed

Feel free to overuse female Seth (Titania), especially in PoR, much as I dislike doing so, she has great growths on top of being a prepromote.

There are some character who speaks in what looks to be a made-up language, (it isn't it is actually just a font) the means of translating, and translations of most if not all such text can be found on the main site under the ancient language section of the game in question

The first thief you get in PoR will literally charge you 50 gold for every chest he opens, (a trivial amount to be sure) if you have less than 50 gold when you try to open a chest with him, you will not be able to open it, so do not literally empty your treasury

Save any of the coins you get; they may do nothing in PoR, but they have a nice effect (you spend them to get a free random boost to your forged weapon) if you transfer your save to RD.

Bonus Exp in PoR is generally earned by completing chapters on difficulties other than hard, completing chapters fast, making sure everyone escapes before your lord on an escape chapter, not deploying units on defend chapters, not killing enemy units from certain factions based on the story, and of course the infamous stealth victory on the prison break chapter.

Bonus Exp can be used to cheese level ups in different ways in each game. In PoR you can literally save immediately before gaining a level through bonus exp, and if you do not like it reload the game, and see if you get a better level next time. In RD you are guaranteed to get 3 stats (unless there are less than 3 stats that are not capped), so after you cap a few stats you can use bonus exp levels to prop up vital stats with otherwise mediocre growth rates.

Note that weight is reduced by strength in these game

No items are needed to class change, they will for free when they level up at level 20, but there are items that can let your units class change earlier

If you intend to transfer your save over from PoR over to RD there are a few things you might want to keep in mind:

  1. it doesn't matter if someone died.
  2. RD stats only change if a unit caps both level and cap a stat, if you want to do this you might want to save some stat boosters to push a stat to its cap and focus on a handful to push them to the level cap
  3. Sothe in particular transfers differently, if his level caps his stats transfer directly, note that unless you are playing with his signature skill equipped on random growth mode (his skill works slightly differently on fixed mode making his growths and thus averages worse) his stats are likely to be worse than his RD base stats
  4. A level supports become "bond support" in RD (which do not take up your support slot and add a little crit and crit avoid when active) and the support conversation log for PoR is only in RD and collected from saves you transfer for some unknown silly reason
  5. weapons ranks above D improve starting weapon ranks in RD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not much of an expert on PoR, so I'll just do Radiant Dawn.

1. Don't be afraid to use prepromotes. Especially in Miccy's part. Zihark is just better Edward, and the others help alleviate some stress.

2. Take off Tormod and his squad's skills. They return at the end of part 4 and are virtually worthless at that point. Their skills are much better used elsewhere.

3. Give Illyana items that you want to send to Ike and his crew.

4. You get two Wyvern riders, use them both, they are both amazing.

5. Bonus experience is a useful resource. Try to conserve using it until one or two of your unit's stat caps have been reached. RD has it so you will always gain three stats from leveling up, and capped stats can guarantee other, lower growths get fulfilled. This can basically alleviate problems with units, like Neph's occasional strength problems.

6. If a unit is a part of the Crimean knights, they aren't worth using.

7. Shinon is your best archer, Gatrie your best general, and Titania your best cavalry unit. Use them well.

8. Earth is the best affinity, Ike and Oscar can break the game in two (more of a PoR tip).

9. Miccy promotes very late, as does Sothe, so there's no real rush to get them to a higher level. 

10. Any non-loyal Laguz unit is garbage and not worth using. The exception is Volug in part 1. 

11. Most maps have hidden items, be on the lookout for them, or just look-up a guide.

These are the tips that come to mind first, I'll try and add more if I can think of any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

I'm not much of an expert on PoR, so I'll just do Radiant Dawn.

1. Don't be afraid to use prepromotes. Especially in Miccy's part. Zihark is just better Edward, and the others help alleviate some stress.

2. Take off Tormod and his squad's skills. They return at the end of part 4 and are virtually worthless at that point. Their skills are much better used elsewhere.

3. Give Illyana items that you want to send to Ike and his crew.

4. You get two Wyvern riders, use them both, they are both amazing.

5. Bonus experience is a useful resource. Try to conserve using it until one or two of your unit's stat caps have been reached. RD has it so you will always gain three stats from leveling up, and capped stats can guarantee other, lower growths get fulfilled. This can basically alleviate problems with units, like Neph's occasional strength problems.

6. If a unit is a part of the Crimean knights, they aren't worth using.

7. Shinon is your best archer, Gatrie your best general, and Titania your best cavalry unit. Use them well.

8. Earth is the best affinity, Ike and Oscar can break the game in two (more of a PoR tip).

9. Miccy promotes very late, as does Sothe, so there's no real rush to get them to a higher level. 

10. Any non-loyal Laguz unit is garbage and not worth using. The exception is Volug in part 1. 

11. Most maps have hidden items, be on the lookout for them, or just look-up a guide.

These are the tips that come to mind first, I'll try and add more if I can think of any.

Are the non royals really that bad? Darn, here I was thinking of using Lethe. XD

 

But yeah I'll keep this in mind. Especially the Micaiah/Sothe promotion. Don't wanna waste xp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ArgentSable said:

Are the non royals really that bad? Darn, here I was thinking of using Lethe. XD

 

But yeah I'll keep this in mind. Especially the Micaiah/Sothe promotion. Don't wanna waste xp.

I mean, don't get me wrong, you can use who you want, those are just the units that have a bad "amount of effort put in" to "worthwhile usage gotten out of said unit" ratio that I call bad. Laguz's transform gauge is more often than not a hindrance, and when transformed most of the non-royals have some fatal flaw. Lethe is either too weak to deal damage, or she can't tank a hit to save her life (both I think). Mordecai is too slow, Ranulf is just kinda meh, so are the other Lion laguz. The ravens are not really that good, Vika is never around and Neluchi is Neluchi. Janaff and his friend, yeah I complete forget about them. Lethe's sister is worse than Lethe, and her buddy sucks too. Oh, and to top it all off, they have lower growth rates, lower stat caps, can't promote, and get less experience (if I recall correctly). They were nuked from orbit in comparison to POR. Laguz are just not worth it, which i always found kind of ironic. One of Tellius's themes is racism, and how we all aren't that different, and here I am not using any laguz because they need to transform and they suck overall. Theme didn't really come through in gameplay.

Miccy gets two promotions, by the by. 1 at the end of part 1 (don't worry, she gets a training chapter if you really want her max level) The other one comes right before the endgame, so yeah, you got plenty of time. Sothe's comes sometime in part 4, I think right at the start. But don't worry too much about xp, you have bonus xp and plenty of enemies to kill, you can afford a bit of wasted xp if you need to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

I mean, don't get me wrong, you can use who you want, those are just the units that have a bad "amount of effort put in" to "worthwhile usage gotten out of said unit" ratio that I call bad. Laguz's transform gauge is more often than not a hindrance, and when transformed most of the non-royals have some fatal flaw. Lethe is either too weak to deal damage, or she can't tank a hit to save her life (both I think). Mordecai is too slow, Ranulf is just kinda meh, so are the other Lion laguz. The ravens are not really that good, Vika is never around and Neluchi is Neluchi. Janaff and his friend, yeah I complete forget about them. Lethe's sister is worse than Lethe, and her buddy sucks too. Oh, and to top it all off, they have lower growth rates, lower stat caps, can't promote, and get less experience (if I recall correctly). They were nuked from orbit in comparison to POR. Laguz are just not worth it, which i always found kind of ironic. One of Tellius's themes is racism, and how we all aren't that different, and here I am not using any laguz because they need to transform and they suck overall. Theme didn't really come through in gameplay.

Miccy gets two promotions, by the by. 1 at the end of part 1 (don't worry, she gets a training chapter if you really want her max level) The other one comes right before the endgame, so yeah, you got plenty of time. Sothe's comes sometime in part 4, I think right at the start. But don't worry too much about xp, you have bonus xp and plenty of enemies to kill, you can afford a bit of wasted xp if you need to.

Damn, I had kinda started PoR so that sucks. Laguz really are pretty strong in this game. And yeah I remembered bonus xp so I guess it isn't the end of the world if I waste some xp here and there.

 

Still, what a 180 for the Laguz. Kinda surprised me tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2018 at 8:02 PM, DarthR0xas said:

I mean, don't get me wrong, you can use who you want, those are just the units that have a bad "amount of effort put in" to "worthwhile usage gotten out of said unit" ratio that I call bad. Laguz's transform gauge is more often than not a hindrance, and when transformed most of the non-royals have some fatal flaw. Lethe is either too weak to deal damage, or she can't tank a hit to save her life (both I think). Mordecai is too slow, Ranulf is just kinda meh, so are the other Lion laguz. The ravens are not really that good, Vika is never around and Neluchi is Neluchi. Janaff and his friend, yeah I complete forget about them. Lethe's sister is worse than Lethe, and her buddy sucks too. Oh, and to top it all off, they have lower growth rates, lower stat caps, can't promote, and get less experience (if I recall correctly). They were nuked from orbit in comparison to POR. Laguz are just not worth it, which i always found kind of ironic. One of Tellius's themes is racism, and how we all aren't that different, and here I am not using any laguz because they need to transform and they suck overall. Theme didn't really come through in gameplay.

Miccy gets two promotions, by the by. 1 at the end of part 1 (don't worry, she gets a training chapter if you really want her max level) The other one comes right before the endgame, so yeah, you got plenty of time. Sothe's comes sometime in part 4, I think right at the start. But don't worry too much about xp, you have bonus xp and plenty of enemies to kill, you can afford a bit of wasted xp if you need to.

I agree with this - for games with a theme of racism, the fact that the Tellius saga (or at least Radiant Dawn) so flagrantly fails to avert one faction just being better than the other in terms of gameplay is an odd miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...