Micopen67

Hey, I don't know if anyone has said this before but... 

I have a theory that exp, is actually quintessence. It seems logical, to me at least, that when you kill someone in Fire Emblem, you get their quintessence. 

How else do you explain someone training and training devoting themselves to their skills for years, and they're still level 3.

But as soon as they start killing people... Boom! Level 12 in 4-6 levels.

I know there are going to be inconsistencies when we start getting into this. (Full disclaimer, I have not beat the game yet, I'm going off of what I know so far (Ch26 Battle Before Dawn))

But kinda what I was thinking was, that when you kill someone you get thier quintessence, but it takes that special magic to harness that quintessence into a storeable form, so that you can then give it to SOMEONE (Nergal), or use it for certain rituals (Like summoning dragons).

I thought of this Theory during one of Marth and Kris' supports (FE12). When Kris was talking about the rush got when he "Basks in his newfound power" after defeating an enemy.

Thank you for reading my weird theory, I hope you enjoyed on some level ^^

Just finished chapter 26, and did a little research, we see quintessence taken from people alive and dead, so if it just is residual someone might be able to absorb part of it? It is a very mysterious substance this far in the game.

Again dark magic is there to take ALL the leftover quintessence, or all of it if the person is still alive.

I think that through discussion this is making more sense, to me at least.

Edited by Micopen67
Update/new info

7 hours ago, Micopen67 said:

Hey, I don't know if anyone has said this before but... 

I have a theory that exp, is actually quintessence. It seems logical, to me at least, that when you kill someone in Fire Emblem, you get their quintessence. 

How else do you explain someone training and training devoting themselves to their skills for years, and they're still level 3.

But as soon as they start killing people... Boom! Level 12 in 4-6 levels.

I don't know, it's just a thought that I had while watching an mmd of Dope with Smash characters. Thank you for reading my weird theory.

You can only extract Quintessence through the dark arts, magical means to be more precise, physical types can't do that. Experience has nothing to do with it. You would also think that some characters would raise eyebrows if they had people in their group doing the same thing as the villain.

Edited by DiogoJorge

6 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

You can only extract Quintessence through the dark arts, magical means to be more precise, physical types can't do that. Experience has nothing to do with it. You would also think that some characters would raise eyebrows if they had people in their group doing the same thing as the villain.

Perhaps it's a bit like the food chain works. How only a percentage of energy is passed when something consumes something else (which makes a lot of sense seeing as killing a high level enemy doesn't grant the attacker the same amount of levels). Extracting quintessence through dark magic would allow extraction of a greater quantity of quintessence than would be extracted from simply killing someone. I suppose that the more "natural" method isn't as perceptible as the obvious dark magic extraction method

Edited by Arcphoenix

13 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I like this theory, but there seems to be one large hole in it; you get experience from multiple members the Black Fang immediately before Limstella extracts their quintessence.

Exactly, and you also get experience from healing people as well merely hurting others and sometimes from missing attacks.

3 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Exactly, and you also get experience from healing people as well merely hurting others and sometimes from missing attacks.

Yes, but not nearly as much as when you kill someone. Those smaller experience numbers could be chopped up into just that, experience.

I know that would be wired to have both in the same place (quintessence and actual exp) but both make you stronger.

Cause really, how freakin' long does it take for a healer to level up? 

I know it doesn't add up with the Black Fang, but I won't get into that until I finish the game later. (Probably in a few weeks or so... Myabe I don't know how far through I am)

Hmm, can't say I support this theory. The levels and stats and experience and stuff is simply story and gameplay segregation. It's pretty much a video game staple. Not everything has to concordate since it's for the sake of having a game.

Regarding healing, depending on the situation, you can get more experience from healing than fighting. Then you have the support staves. Fortify, Warp, Hammerne, Sleep, etc. Those give much more experience than healing.

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

and stats and experience and stuff is simply story and gameplay segregation. It's pretty much a video game staple. Not everything has to concordate since it's for the sake of having a game.

It's less a theory and more a headcannon. I understand it's just videogame stuff. I just thought: "Whoa quintessence is alot like experience" I understand what you're saying.

PS

My first thought was actually: "What if quintessence was experience" but ... I just- I know it's not intended