How'd you guys come up with your usernames?

Sub Zero

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An old friend from middle school came up with it. I had to make a nickname for her, and she had to make a nickname for me. I was playing a lot of Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 at the time, and she knew that I'm particularly interested in a character named Arno in the game. So that name stuck around because of her, lol. Tweaked with it a little bit and it becomes Eruno.

I didn't even like, come up with it.

I just basically copy pasted it from the character in Paper Mario and even now that I have completely different views on the game and the character himself it was already too late because I was already globally known as Koops in all communities I've been in.

So yeah, that. I do like the sound of the name though.

My username is basically a reference to my two favorite game series, Zelda and Fire Emblem. “Twilit” was the adjective describing some of the bosses in Twilight Princess and you already know what Falchion is if you’re on a FE forum. So there you go: “twilitfalchion”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted something with a sort of "Light-elemental" sound to it, and ended up deriving the name from the Carbuncle's "Ruby Light" ability in the Final Fantasy series.

Interestingly-enough, there is now a canon "Topaz Light" ability used by a topaz-themed variant of the Carbuncle in World of Final Fantasy! I had nothing at all to do with that, I just think it's neat.

It's a bit of a joke. I  first used Afterbrun as my user name for an old Warez site [for those who don't know, it's a site that you could download computer games that needed disc with 'crack' patches to play them] my brother used to have.  (it's long dead by a good 15 years or so) He wanted me to find some good games for emulators like Znes and Viusalboy Advance. However at the time, I thought it was how to spell afterburn until he pointed it out. I stuck with it, for, irl, people misspell my last name constantly. Add the K.K. at a later date.

Plazma was a name given me for the "Z" in the PSP game Ratchet and Clank Size matters in multiplayer. Basically some guy randomly messaged me asking to join. Being like 10 at the time I thought it was the coolest thing at the time. Only prerequisite to joining was changing my name to "PlazmaZ". Prior to that I had some generic random name.

I've using the Plazma name since in various forms only ditching it briefly in favor of "AllenSugar" from like 2010-2011, and AssaultSugar from like 2011-2013. 

PlazmaZ

PlazmaZ5 (This was because runescape claimed "PlazmaZ" and offered me several alternatives of which I choose "PlazmaZ5")

AllenSugar (Allen is my middle name, sugar cause I thought it was hilarious especially since I'm a dude and having people call me "sugar") 

AssaultSugar (Assault was a reference to the Assault class in the Battlefield series which was always my most played class) 

AssaultPlazma (Bringing Back Plazma) 

PyroPlazma (I melted a golf club in the oven when I was a young child. Also tend to like fire based techniques/elements within video games) 

I devised this name (Aegius) for Knight Online around 15 years ago. Been using it on and off ever since for character names in games and forum handles. Not the most intriguing story, but I figured the mention of Knight Online may yield some nostalgia from folks.

Edited by Aegius_NaTL

I did mine based off of an FE character. In general it's tough to come up with usernames. However, I found that the faster you do it, the longer it lasts. Doing one without much of a thinking process works in the long run, haha 🙂

Edited by Forde

Back in the day when black and white first came out in Japan. I pirated a Japanese copy. I picked oshawott and with the character limit I named him otts. The “servia” part came about as a way for me to add onto it to make it sound cooler

• 3 weeks later...

Skimming through this thread, some of the username stories are pretty interesting, sometimes like a favourite food or a pet's name to a nick name or a combination of stuff. Regardless if simple or complicated, the stories behinds everyone's username is super unique.

The story behind mine is quite a legacy.
I can't remember exactly when but based off of release dates I made it probably around 2007 when I first started playing World of Warcraft.
I was trying to name a Night Elf Hunter and the name I finally came up with was Shrow.
Since then I've used it for just about everything where it wasn't taken, it's become a sort of second name that my instincts respond to.
It irks me a little when people mispronounce it. Just grab the word "Show" and add an "r" to it but people always try to pronounce it like "Shr-wow", though I shouldn't expect too much since it's not a real word.

• 4 weeks later...

read it in a book as a nickname to alexandra when i was using "alexander" as a nickname in a final fantasy board because of the recurring summon, so i decided to use that instead so i could use it everywhere and not have people think it is my real life name

later on i found out "axie" is short for axolotl for people who take care of them and axolotls are cute as hell lol i wish that was the actual origin story

The "Fever" comes from a combination of an old SNL skit, and a track of the same name from DR Mario. "Mario" is because Mario games were some of the first video games I ever played, as a child.

Edited by fevermario

I usually have "Storm" as my username, though it's taken more often than not.
"Pierre Hoquet" is an inside joke between me and my best friend.
Though it originally came from the Ace Attorney Investigations 2 fan translation.
I thought it was funny and made it my username on here.

...huh, thought I posted in here already.

Well... there's this MMORPG I play every once in a while called Maplestory. Played since I was 12 and had a laptop to play it on. And there's a class in it called Xenon. When the class was first being released, I heard somewhere that their original beta name was Automata, and I was in need of a name for my character. So I did some math.
(Xenon - second N) + (Automata - Auto) = Xeno mata

...yeah, young me wasn't exactly the paragon of name creation, not like I'm any better now.
Over the years I just kept using it (I had other usernames), and eventually it became the only name I responded to online. Fortunately, it's not a popular name whenever I need to make a new character in an MMO.

It's my Runescape username and has been since 2008.

When I first began playing that MMO, I wasn't going to be too serious of a player and was only going to try it out at the request of my school friends, hence my picking of what's supposed to be a funny name. However, I grew to enjoy the game so the username kind of stuck.