Some YouTube drama or something.

AnonymousSpeed

There are people in the streets literally playing piano and only eating salad in support for PewDiePie beating T Series.

VoiceOverPete read the entire Bee Movie script for this cause.

Logan Paul declared peace to declare his support.

For years, YouTube has moved away from the singular and independent creators on its platform in favor of traditional corporate prospects. When T Series, a bitch lasagna that makes music videos for Indian pop stars threatens to take the number one spot, it represents the ongoing struggle of YouTube's priorities. It represents the threats of aristocratic conglomerates to creativity and individuality. A platform where you are ostensibly supposed to "Broadcast Yourself" instead becoming a glorified streaming service for trifle filtered through focus groups.

Is that what we want? Is this the reason we use the internet?

So we can watch television with a lower production value?

So we can try and bring back MTV?

Is that what the internet is for?

So that success can be hoarded by the already wealthy in the sick cycle which curses every facet of society?

To step away from the great leaps it promises us and back into the domain of the familiar clique?

I say no.

I did my part. Now do yours.

Subscribe to PewDiePie.

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I'll subscribe to people who aren't complete shitbags instead.

That, and 1. It does not matter who the most subscribed channel is and 2. this really doesn't belong in Serious Discussion. 

While I agree with the concept here, personally I can't stand Pewdiepie, I only tried one of his videos and I had to quite maybe five minutes in tops. Also, I'm fairly certain the actual purpose of the internet was to spread memes across the globe. Either that or allow us all to piss each other off more effectively, looking at nearly any internet forum's Serious/Political Discussion Subforum.

The internet was originally made as an easy way to share and access information.

Why does it matter who has the most subscribers though? PewDiePie still has his channel, so what if T series has more subscribers, people who like PewDiePie can still watch his videos and life will go on.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Why does it matter who has the most subscribers though? PewDiePie still has his channel, so what if T series has more subscribers, people who like PewDiePie can still watch his videos and life will go on.

It's kinda imperative of the fleeting struggle between individuals vs corporations, and the inevitable change that Youtube is undergoing to give channels with the backing of large companies as opposed to smaller single people channels. This is shown by Youtube Rewind 2018 becoming the most disliked video on Youtube, and the video itself featured big named actors and celebrities in more prominent roles than Youtubers.

At least that's how it was explained to me.

I subbed to him for the meme. Watch a few videos, got some good jokes. Transaction finished.

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

I'll subscribe to people who aren't complete shitbags instead.

I feel shitbag is far to harsh a term. Obnoxious and loud, sure, but shitbag? Not really, or at least from what I've seen of him that isn't the impression I get.

55 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

It's kinda imperative of the fleeting struggle between individuals vs corporations, and the inevitable change that Youtube is undergoing to give channels with the backing of large companies as opposed to smaller single people channels. This is shown by Youtube Rewind 2018 becoming the most disliked video on Youtube, and the video itself featured big named actors and celebrities in more prominent roles than Youtubers.

At least that's how it was explained to me.

I subbed to him for the meme. Watch a few videos, got some good jokes. Transaction finished.

I feel shitbag is far to harsh a term. Obnoxious and loud, sure, but shitbag? Not really, or at least from what I've seen of him that isn't the impression I get.

Yeah it's more a company versus individual debate and it's an interesting battle (that he for the moment seems to be winning).

Outside of that I kinda agree. He's loud (don't find him annoying) but he's not a shitbag. He does dark humor and does sarcastic videos alot, but that doesn't make him a shitbag. That tittle alone is left to the Paul Brothers and other idiots like 69, etc.

Internet was supposed to let us communicate with each other on a global scale, give us a better understanding of our different cultures, ideas, and values. Maybe even strive for a world that drops all of its petty squabbles and look beyond ourselves. Instead, it's achieved the exact opposite and Pewdiepie is part of that problem. 

2 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

I actually enjoyed him more when he was just obnoxious(I still really, really didn't like him). These days I'm more baffled about his awful personal politics, which is where I get the feeling he's a shitbag. 

And before anyone jumps down my throat or calls me an SJW or something, I was on his side when Disney dropped him after the Fiverr thing last year. I agreed that the WSJ article was largely a hit piece. 

But then he defended an insanely mysogenistic, far-right authoritarian Polish politician(This might have happened before the Fiverr thing, but I learned about it after) who was known for Nazi saluting Germans. 

And then he casually said the hard r N word when frustrated, something I find HIGHLY suspicious for somebody who isn't a native English speaker. 

And then he endorsed a hardcore anti-semite content creator on YouTube. 

And he never really properly apologized for any of this besides the N word thing, which was a pretty weak apology itself. The Fiverr and E;R thing have been him going "Whoops." He's been especially dodgy about actually owning up to the E;R thing. He claims he had no idea and the awful shit E;R says wasn't part of the video he watched, even though it was. I'll cut him some slack for missing the Heather Heyer thing, since he's not an American, and the "Heather Heyer died because she was fat/she would have died anyway" argument is pretty fringe even for people who knew what happened. But the description of the Death Note video he endorsed was essentially "FUCKING YOUTUBE WILL DEPLATFORM ME IF I CALL THE BLACK CHARACTER THE A HARDCORE RACIAL SLUR, SO THANK THEM FOR RUINING MY GENIUS RUNNING GAG". There's really no excuse for still saying "There was nothing wrong with the silly anime video I endorsed" after the fact that it came out that E;R is a Neo-Nazi. 

I'm a guy who's willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. I'll give second chances. I'd be hard-pressed to give somebody a fifth chance for the same thing, though. 

Edited by Slumber

41 minutes ago, Slumber said:

And then he endorsed a hardcore anti-semite content creator on YouTube. 

He did it again, this time with someone who referred to Sonicfox with racial and homophobic slurs and openly compares the Trans community to Nazi's.

EDIT: Forgot to post the receipt for that one

Edited by Time the Crestfallen

7 minutes ago, FrostyFireMage said:

This is why humor is dying. Too many people taking jokes at face value.

He literally had Ben Shapiro do a skit on Meme Review and gave a glowing review of Jordan Peterson's book, never-mind following a veritable who's who of Right Wing political figures on Twitter (ranging from Dave Rubin, to PJW, to actual fucking MGTOW/white supremacist Stefan Molyneux). I'm not sure how those qualify as 'just jokes' considering that all of these people are explicitly political figures, but whatever you say mate.

Edited by Time the Crestfallen

6 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

There are people in the streets literally playing piano and only eating salad in support for PewDiePie beating T Series.

considering all that has happened in the past years in terms of reputation, is it really that important? because i honestly couldn't care less who gets more subscribers, if that's the main issue here.

there's far more bigger issues in the world than a Youtuber having less subs than another channel. sorry, but that's just bullshit to me.

Not sure how this is an "Individual vs company" thing when we are talking about the guy who is only not with Disney anymore because he was too much of a shitbag for them. That poor little millionaire.

Edited by BrightBow

4 hours ago, Fenreir said:

considering all that has happened in the past years in terms of reputation, is it really that important? because i honestly couldn't care less who gets more subscribers, if that's the main issue here.

there's far more bigger issues in the world than a Youtuber having less subs than another channel. sorry, but that's just bullshit to me.

YES. Nobody cares about how many subscribers somebody has. Or at least, nobody should care. Care more about how many people comment on the videos.

i think pewds is going to be fine either way

the funny part about him is when media outlets originally came out to bash him, I thought it was extremely unfair, and mostly hit pieces because they don't like "new" forms of media like youtube

but then he started acting like an asshat so that shattered any patience I could give him.

still, maybe selling your dignity to act like a clown on a daily basis is a worse punishment.

Anon, what were your expectations when making this post, and how dissapointed are you right now 

in any case, yeah I've never thought too highly of pewdiepie even before all the controversy, but I suppose I have to admire the hustle of consistently growing by knowing exactly how to succeed by constantly making whatever the current popular, low-effort content is in order to satisfy the algorithm, and now he's gained well over a million more subs just by fueling a meme. Dude's some kind of marketing genius, I'll give him that. And admittedly, while it would perfectly incapsulate the current Youtube climate in the worst way to have a literal corporation become number 1...so does having a Swedish dude speak English and make reaction videos for maximum mass appeal 

at least he started a charity thing for Indian children to kinda dissuade his fanbase from being really racist?

58 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

i think pewds is going to be fine either way

the funny part about him is when media outlets originally came out to bash him, I thought it was extremely unfair, and mostly hit pieces because they don't like "new" forms of media like youtube

but then he started acting like an asshat so that shattered any patience I could give him.

still, maybe selling your dignity to act like a clown on a daily basis is a worse punishment.

My thoughts exactly.

I can understand that this whole situation could be considered an "individuals vs corporations" thing, but honesty I don't really care.

Its not like either channel is going to die or stop making content if one were to usurp the other in subscriber count.

Speaking of the subscriber count, Pewds somehow got way ahead of T-Series all of a sudden. Likely due to Markiplier's livestream supporting him, I bet.