The Nintendo DS was a missed opportunity for the FE series.

Spatha

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

What's your point?

Old FEs are text heavy. Too much effort to translate years 9 years later. EB was already translated, they just had to dig up the old translation from long ago. 

And before you say the good fan translation. Nintendo will never accept a crown from the gutter as they see it. Otherwise we'd have Mother 3.

Although I might have misinterpreted you as saying they could still bring us NM. And you might have just been doing a light jab.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Old FEs are text heavy. Too much effort to translate years 9 years later. EB was already translated, they just had to dig up the old translation from long ago. 

And before you say the good fan translation. Nintendo will never accept a crown from the gutter as they see it. Otherwise we'd have Mother 3.

Although I might have misinterpreted you as saying they could still bring us NM. And you might have just been doing a light jab.

Bingo. You proposed a challenge and I met it. Much as I'd love to see an official translation of New Mystery released on the EShop or something, I have no real delusions that it will actually happen. If they were willing to translate stuff then we would have gotten the original Dark Dragon And The Sword of Light on the virtual console. 600 wiipoints for an afternoon long translation job, that would have actually been worth the money.

Edited by Jotari

Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem actually made a whole lot more gameplay improvements then Echoes: Shadows of Valentia did.

In particular, almost all the classes are useful in the DS remakes, whilst the classes are even more unbalanced in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

48 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem actually made a whole lot more gameplay improvements then Echoes: Shadows of Valentia did.

In particular, almost all the classes are useful in the DS remakes, whilst the classes are even more unbalanced in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

It also turned shooters from a bizzare low movement class with little use to long range artillery which is cool as all hell (and pretty useful too).

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I call bullshit. I don't see what's so "balanced" about magic classes having Donnel-tier bases. Myrmidons and Swordmasters were borderline pointless, too, more so in SD. There's also the part where Manaketes' stones lost durability every time they were in combat, even if they couldn't counterattack.

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Myrmidons and Swordmasters were borderline pointless, too, more so in SD.

Myrms maybe (I believe the meta is to reclass Nabarl into Cav instantly?), but instant C swords (a.k.a "Wyrmslayer Rank") if you reclass into SM combined with incredible Spd (both base and cap) definitely isn't useless.

Personally (and I've said this before), I think both DS games are great in their own right. Yes, they removed a bunch of stuff, both in terms of gameplay (skills, in particular) and writing (characterization of non-Marth units), but I don't consider that to be inherently bad. Feature bloat is a Thing and not every game has to include everything. The only thing that I really consider bad about SD are the Gaiden requirements.

19 hours ago, Jotari said:

It also turned shooters from a bizzare low movement class with little use to long range artillery which is cool as all hell (and pretty useful too).

They combined the FE1 and FE3 shooters into one awesome class.

Grigas is still easily one of my favorite bosses in the  series, I love how you have to rush forward.

18 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I call bullshit. I don't see what's so "balanced" about magic classes having Donnel-tier bases. Myrmidons and Swordmasters were borderline pointless, too, more so in SD. There's also the part where Manaketes' stones lost durability every time they were in combat, even if they couldn't counterattack.

Thats false, mages and curates rock. Merric and Lena are top tier.

Myrmidons are great as well, especially Navarre.

Note there is nothing as bad as the Echoes: Shadows of Valentia's armor line.

• 2 weeks later...

The DS era was a real waste. We should've gotten some kind of new game. The only American game we got was a shoddy remake that could've done so much to stand out and make it a hit. We should've gotten more than what we did.