What was / is your reaction to the music theme in the introduction cutscene of book 3?

MisterIceTeaPeach

Do you like it?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• Yes
    • No
    • It was ok
  2. 2. Would like to hear that kind of music in regular FE parts?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

It's hilarious. I take it as a sign that IS has stopped trying to make us take FEh's plot seriously. Which, after the trainwreck that was Book II's story, is a good thing.

It's completely out of place for FE, but since FEH's story is a dumpster fire anyway it's fine here.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, I'm a Spheal said:

I would love it if a main series went full ham with death metal music and aesthetics. 

Yas, I would buy the shit out of that game.

Finally some good music for FE. That's the first FE game/ book ever where I wouldn't mind leaving the sound on, especially the atmospheric map music. Other FE music is so boring.

20 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

It's hilarious. I take it as a sign that IS has stopped trying to make us take FEh's plot seriously. Which, after the trainwreck that was Book II's story, is a good thing.

It's completely out of place for FE, but since FEH's story is a dumpster fire anyway it's fine here.

Wow.....what an utterly prissy viewpoint.

Edited by Sentinel07

I am double No to this theme. I was not expecting heavy metal and I do not think it fits the series whatsoever. Not unless we got a super edgy and bloody FE game but I doubt three houses is going to be like that and heavily doubt any future games will be like that due to it being carefully watched by Nintendo.

It made me laugh. I haven't listened to growly mallcore like that since middle school, which was around the time I got into FE. It was surreal to hear the two things merged together in an official trailer like this.

But no, I did not like the song. I don't want to hear this ever again with Fire Emblem.

Honestly I actually like it! Even if I’m not a fan of metal, for some reason I really enjoyed it.

Plus, I don’t music belongs or doesn’t belong in a setting, so I wouldn’t mind hearing more music like that in FE games. It gives it more of a variety.

31 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Honestly I actually like it! Even if I’m not a fan of metal, for some reason I really enjoyed it.

Plus, I don’t music belongs or doesn’t belong in a setting, so I wouldn’t mind hearing more music like that in FE games. It gives it more of a variety.

My thoughts exactly.

Setting aside that the style isn't my cup of tea, it's just so anachronistic. There's thousands of years of musical history covering the entire gamut of human experience to draw from, and they went for the suburban, mid-2000s version of dark. Heck, might as well have just licensed some Eminem, and I like Em.

Edited by bottlegnomes

"And here I thought Mortal Kombat 11's trailer had unfitting music" was my first thought.

"For a game set in hell, there is a disturbing lack of undead" was my second. That might just be me wanting IS to get really creative with the monster classes, though.

It's a bold choice for sure. I generally only hear that sort of death metal in ironic contexts these days. De-saturate the colors from the hair and clothes of the Askran characters and Loki and you would have a pretty perfect music video. In the context of this trailer it's fine. But dump it onto any Fire Emblem context without really thinking and we're going to have some problems. There's a surprising amount of room for overlap between grunge tones and fantasy themes, but not in a series as typically colorful and upbeat as Fire Emblem. Their angsty phase began and ended with Judgral.

Also, I know the lines get blurry, but I'm gonna make a line in the sand here and say that this isn't death metal.

This is more along the lines of Killswitch Engage than it is Deicide.

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Also, I know the lines get blurry, but I'm gonna make a line in the sand here and say that this isn't death metal.

This is more along the lines of Killswitch Engage than it is Deicide.

True. I'd even say it's pretty standard heavy metal singing. Still, a nice change to my ears.

I never liked the mindset that automatically dismisses death metal, or other similar sounding music, in atypical environments in a series and the like as "emo phase teenager crap." Doing so only serves to generalize the genre and eliminates the notion that it can leave any genuine impact.

Honestly, it's a welcome change from the usual medieval fantasy aesthetic (see also: Fates). Not sure if I'd want this kind of music to be a regular occurrence, though. It fits the theme of the new Book, but it's not something that would fit the series on a larger scale, that is unless it fit the game's central environment or was otherwise used in a context where it made sense.

47 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

. Their angsty phase began and ended with Judgral.

Hey now! Jugdral’s music is on a completely different wavelength.

37 minutes ago, Kurrin said:

I never liked the mindset that automatically dismisses death metal, or other similar sounding music, in atypical environments in a series and the like as "emo phase teenager crap." Doing so only serves to generalize the genre and eliminates the notion that it can leave any genuine impact.

Honestly, it's a welcome change from the usual medieval fantasy aesthetic (see also: Fates). Not sure if I'd want this kind of music to be a regular occurrence, though. It fits the theme of the new Book, but it's not something that would fit the series on a larger scale, that is unless it fit the game's central environment or was otherwise used in a context where it made sense.

The problem is, Book 3 still has the medieval fantasy aesthetic visually. Eir, Lif and Thrasir are much too pretty; Hel can’t do much on her own.

I only have one thing to say:

WHERE IS THE FULL VERSION OF THIS SONG?!

Didn't like it at first, but a second listen with a quieter room made me flip my opinion.  I think it's a nice contrast to the music in the early part of the trailer.

In itself, the song is not too different from something I'd listen to and enjoy. It's kind of within my favored genres of music.

As a part of FE? It doesn't fit, and doesn't really have any business being in it.

I liked it. The music itself is good for death metal standards and it's a new take on a story for IS and since it matches the story I'm super okay with it.

So long as they don't play heavy metal for some happy story later I'll be okay with it.

That and, honestly there being uniqueness is great IMO.

28 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

The problem is, Book 3 still has the medieval fantasy aesthetic visually. Eir, Lif and Thrasir are much too pretty; Hel can’t do much on her own.

Poor wording on my part. I meant more about the setting than the visuals itself, as the designs are still quite stylized, but it's different than what we usually see. It's not yet another king of some stone castle, or two armies, clad in metallic armor, clashing in some open field or gratuitous dragons. We're literally dealing with the world of the dead. It sets a different mood than the series is used to seeing, more along the lines of Jugdral, albeit less Grimdark and more Punk. It's a tone that the Jugdral duology did well, but afterwards it never stuck around as a front and center theme. Though I have concerns that the story will be Grimdark lite, it's an underexplored tone that I'm glad to see them returning to, however short or long its stay may be.

4 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

What the hell is this. It looks like a fan made video with death metal in it. Not something official.

Well if you don;'t follow FEH or play it, it's the new theme for Book 3 of the Main Story.

The story revolves around death and alot of darker themes to they went with metal.

TLDR; It's official. Opinions are mixed on the video.

2 minutes ago, ArgentSable said:

Well if you don;'t follow FEH or play it, it's the new theme for Book 3 of the Main Story.

The story revolves around death and alot of darker themes to they went with metal.

TLDR; It's official. Opinions are mixed on the video.

I know it's official. I was saying it just looks fanmade.

21 minutes ago, Kurrin said:

Poor wording on my part. I meant more about the setting than the visuals itself, as the designs are still quite stylized, but it's different than what we usually see.

I think the visuals are important to set the mood. Imagine Jugdral with Elibe's visual style; it would lose a lot of its impact. They really needed to go all-in to make this theme work.

27 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

I think the visuals are important to set the mood. Imagine Jugdral with Elibe's visual style; it would lose a lot of its impact. They really needed to go all-in to make this theme work.

Understandable. In this case, it seems the designs are merely victims of FE's more modern decorated visual choices. Echoes stands out, as it did a good job with providing its atmosphere without being overly flashy, though I imagine that's due to it wanting to keep the more classic feel of Gaiden.