Revelation plot complaint (spoilers)

squid4001

They died for dramatic effect.

That's literally the only reason.

They just wanted it to feel like the story had stakes.

Obligatory deaths so the conflict doesn't feel empty.

Yeah, it's kind of lame.

I think the logic wasn't ''Oh you like Scarlet or Izana'' but instead ''We assume you DON'T like Scarlet or Izana''

Reveleation is supposed to be the golden path so no mayor characters can die and make you wish you chose differently. So if the stakes need to be raised then it will be minor characters that die. And Scarlet and Izana are pretty much the most minor of characters. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

They killed of Izana and Scarlet in Revelation because they where safe to kill off. People needed to die to keep the stakes up, but Revelations is supposed to be the golden happy route. So they just kill off two corrinsexuals since few people care about them.

Scarlet always makes me salty. One of the few characters in Fates with a design that doesn't immediately repulse me, and I think I'd rather play Rev than BR. Of course her fate in the one path I actually prefer playing also makes me salty.

15 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Yeah I agree with what Ertrick said. Honestly Scarlet I feel was the least deserving of the two since she did have a character that was in general a bit interesting due to her relationship with Ryoma and her death was by far the most unexpected twist in fates for me

The worst of it is that she's playable for a bit and she can acquire maximum support level with your avatar.  You can get straight up cucked by bad story telling.

At least they didn't decide that any of the retainers were worth killing off.  I'd have wound up breaking my 3DS if they killed off the 'Boro, Saizo, or any of the Awakening trio in this supposed "golden ending".

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Scarlet always makes me salty. One of the few characters in Fates with a design that doesn't immediately repulse me, and I think I'd rather play Rev than BR. Of course her fate in the one path I actually prefer playing also makes me salty.

That's a really awful position to be in.

It's like how I feel about Conquest.  The level design is funner, but I find the plot at its most infuriating in that path and hard to ignore even if I skip cutscenes.

Just now, Ertrick36 said:

That's a really awful position to be in.

It's like how I feel about Conquest.  The level design is funner, but I find the plot at its most infuriating in that path and hard to ignore even if I skip cutscenes.

This is one of the reasons the way they handled the 3 routes really rubbed me the wrong way.

The route that is the most fun to play has a messier story than the more boring route, and the characters in the fun route are some of the worst characters in the franchise. It's like IS was daring people to enjoy Conquest. Revelations is its own can of worms, but it also feels like there's a bunch of compromise there as well.

Scarlet may die because of the plot, but she's a casualty of game design more than anything.

2 hours ago, squid4001 said:

yeah, so apparently intelligent systems thinks, "oh you like scarlet or izana? WELL SCREW YOU" can some one explain why these two die in Revelations?

mainly, for plot. and probably because every side has its own few unique characters that can't be gained in the other routes, so perhaps they did it in order to give more value to the single copies of Conquest and Birthright after release.

not to mention that in Conquest you get to choose if you want an extra unit or not by sparing his life or kill him to get an extra item, while in Birthright you can potentially loose another unit if your bond/support isn't high enough with him.

Revelations, on the other hand, has all main characters from both sides, so to compensate that you get to loose 2 unique units tied to the avatar. it's sad indeed, but apparently it's part of the concept behind having multiple routes.

you can always use the unit cards if you really want a specific character thou, as long as you find someone with the units you want to get( unless you have the limited edition with all 3 routes, in that case lucky you ).

• eclipse changed the title to Revelation plot complaint (spoilers)
21 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Your title was bad, so I changed it.

So that's why it's different then. 

Edited by Critical Sniper

Well, to be honest Izana isn't a really fun character. He's just, meh. So I don't miss him at all.

Scarlet I kinda like but her lack of supports with others (namely Ryoma) makes her slightly meh as well. To be fair (as others have said) it was for story purposes. Nothing more, nothing less.

I really don't understand why Izana and Scarlet have to die. I thought the whole selling point of Revelation was being able to recruit everyone, yet Izana and Scarlet get killed off? I understand they needed an excuse for Corrin and co to accuse Gunter of being a traitor...but honestly you could leave out Scarlet's death and not much would really change with the Gunter sub plot (which is a very shitty sub plot to begin with btw). And with Izana...there's literally no point in him dying at all. Like, I guess you could argue it was enough to convince Takumi to help Corrin on their path, but there are other ways you could've done it by just having Sakura convince Takumi to help Corrin after Izana assures him that he/she isn't an enemy to Hoshido.

To a lesser extent, I also don't understand why Yukimura doesn't join in Revelation. As far as I'm aware, they don't even give a reason for it.