The Desert's Rebellion: Alpha Demo in Progress

Jayderson

Hey there! My name is Justin, and welcome to the bare bones start of what may be a little series(with any luck)

The Desert's Rebellion is a story that I've had planned since like May of last year, and it's the start of a small series that I've also created.

In this story, or what I would like to call Book 1: You follow the journey of the young princess Tsura, and the mage of raw talent, Miclas, as they cross paths, and work together to free their homeland from the Barbaric country of Zunbae.

A Short Summary of the Story

Spoiler

In the Continent of Omens, there lay seven lands. Four of these lands are Monarchies, Two are Democracies, and One is a Dictatorship. But for this story will focus on two of those countries. The Desert Monarchy of Uhai, and the Barbaric Dictatorship of Zunbae.

Uhai is a country filled from head to toe with the harsh desert sands. Throughout, the country is also filled with Oasis' where towns often base their bearings, and a River runs straight through the desert, all the way to it's ocean borders. But there is one more thing about Uhai, a resource of high value: Gold. Littered throughout the underground caves of Uhai lie enough gold to keep the country rich for centuries to come. Uhai is ruled by Kenura, the King, and his wife: Tsumae(Sue-May) the Queen. For as long as anyone is aware, the Kenura lineage has ruled the kingdom, with their strong magical prowess. Which brings us to our next topic: Uhai and Magic. Uhai's harsh desert environment doesn't leave room to wear heavy armor, or ride a horse in combat. So naturally, Uhai turned it's military efforts into creating the best magic army it could. After centuries of honing their magical skills, Uhai holds the strongest magic unit in all of Omens. Thanks to their magic prowess, and every other countries lack of, Uhai always holds the advantage should they ever need to defend their country. No other country would risk attacking them. Well, except for two.

Zunbae, the country of the mountains, is ruled by a Dictatorship, under the Zunbae lineage, which has lasted for as long as the country has. Zunbae's mountains and terrain don't create much room for farming, forcing them to live their lives on trade. Or in some, most, cases, most of Zunbae turns to banditry. It's not uncommon for Bandits, or even Zunbae's official army, to cross it's borders and raid nearby countries of their resources. Those who don't turn to robbery live in constant fear of being attacked by their own countrymen. There's but one country Zunbae can't successfully raid, and that's Uhai. Uhai and Zunbae have always butted heads, with no sign of stopping. Zunbae's mountain borders completely surround Uhai, up unto the ocean, forcing Uhai to cross Zunbae if they desire to do business with other countries, or simply travel. Because of this, Uhai and Zunbae seem to be constantly at war: Uhai keeping it's people safe, and Zunbae wanting to loot it's people. Take a bunch of wars, and a few undesired peace treaties in Uhai's favor, and you have the plot of 'The Desert's Rebellion'

Our story starts two weeks before the conflict: One of Uhai's allies across the ocean has requested his aid in full scale war. With peace having been resolved with Zunbae for five years, the longest of any peace treaty, Kenura resolves to take a vast majority of his army: 70% to be exact, with him across the ocean. This is when Disaster strikes.

Zunbae, enraged by the unfair peace treaty he's been forced into by Uhai, he takes the time to completely annihilate the remainder of Uhai's forces. In one swift motion, his entire army engulfs Uhai, capturing it's cities, and the Queen. Now his men raid the nation, prepared to utterly destroy it by the time Kenura gets back, where he will then be executed in a surprise attack.

In Uhai's last line of defense, the capital, Queen Tsumae and her daughter, Tsura, make strives towards escaping. Unfortunately, time is not on their side, and with the last of their forces wiped out, the Queen entrusts her loyal retainer, Douglas, to take her daughter, and flee the country, which he does.

Princess Tsura is the only child of her parents, and is as spoiled as one would think. She's headstrong, mischievous, and quick on her feet. Kenura has yet to discipline her, wanting her to experience a childhood, before he begins to mold her into what she must be as the future ruler of Uhai. While Tsumae disagreed with this tactic, fearing Tsura being forced to grow up suddenly, she can only hope that Tsura is able to avoid the harsh reality of war.

As Tsura and Douglas flee, they begin to hear rumors of a rebellion, starting up in a small town near the border. Despite Douglas' protests, he cannot stop Tsura from discovering the truth. It is in this town that they discover the start of a rebellion, led by Veteran Soldier, Tobin, and his nephew, Miclas.

Miclas is the son of a scholar who held incredible magic power. Miclas is no different. If anything, he's stronger. Miclas holds magic like nothing his family has every seen, but he never got the chance to further grow that talent. His father died when Miclas was but four years old, and without his father's connection to the kingdom, the money stopped flowing to their family, forcing them to stop their research, and severing the connection to Miclas' future growth.

Then his uncle, Tobin, came into the picture. Tobin, like his brother, was a scholar from a country on the opposite side of the capital. But unlike his brother, Tobin was obsessed with knowledge, and growing as a mage. Because of this, he never married, and lived alone. Once he retired from the army, and his studies, Tobin moved to Uhai to watch after his nephew and sister in law. Seeing Miclas' great magic talent, Tobin has determined to make Miclas his greatest project, and he has set Miclas on the path to greatness, despite his mother's objections. Over the three years that Tobin has been with Miclas, his magic has shown significant growth, but it is still highly unstable.

With Douglas, Tsura, Tobin, and Miclas together. Their journey to free Uhai can officially begin, as can the story of Miclas and Tsura

TLDR: Zunbae has taken over Uhai, and now Miclas, Tsura, and their caretakers work together to free the country.

As of this moment, mainly because I kind of gave up on this project halfway through the summer, and just recently got the inspiration to try and pick it back up, I've only got about 5 chapters planned out. I also have reworked the story a tad bit.

I have 0 promises as to when this will actually even begin to come out, as I have little to no experience with hacking.

The most I can do at this time includes: Making the Portraits(Just the portraits, not even the animations for those portraits) and I can edit characters, classes, and maps with GBABuilder. I am currently clueless as to how I even begin to code in the events, and that's going to take the longest amount of time for me.

In a perfect world, I'll hopefully be able to make patches in chapters of 5. Those patches may also include changes to old maps and characters, so I'll try to keep it informed. 

For now, this is about all I have. Later on, I'll make posts regarding the first 5 chapters, which will include the characters, their sprites, and a small summary of the chapter itself.

For our first four characters, I will also include special info in chapter 1 just because these 4 are the only characters who have remained unchanged, and I've kind of grown to love these 4.

If anyone would like to help(for instance, anyone who knows how to work GBABuilder would be a most wonderful help) then please feel free to message me. If people want to I'll also make a discord for easier organization.

Edited by Jayderson

So the bandits are also the big bad antagonists?  ...Not what I would've done, but that makes for an interesting change.

The main worry I have about most maps being set in deserts has to do with variety.  It's going to get boring to play a lot of maps with the same setting.  How do you plan to keep the environments varied?  Something you can keep in mind is that not every desert IRL is super sandy.  Big Bend National Park in Texas, for example.

If you don't have a lot of hacking experience, consider making the game with SRPG Studio before you devote yourself too much to learning how to hack.  The full version is about $60, but there should be a trial version that will let you make a demo with just enough room for the five chapters you have so far.  If you're just making static portraits, those can be used as-is with no issues.

13 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

So the bandits are also the big bad antagonists?  ...Not what I would've done, but that makes for an interesting change.

The main worry I have about most maps being set in deserts has to do with variety.  It's going to get boring to play a lot of maps with the same setting.  How do you plan to keep the environments varied?  Something you can keep in mind is that not every desert IRL is super sandy.  Big Bend National Park in Texas, for example.

If you don't have a lot of hacking experience, consider making the game with SRPG Studio before you devote yourself too much to learning how to hack.  The full version is about $60, but there should be a trial version that will let you make a demo with just enough room for the five chapters you have so far.  If you're just making static portraits, those can be used as-is with no issues.

The main antagonist will be far more than your every day bandit, you need not worry about that ;)

Map variety did come into question when I first thought out this hack, but I believe I have a solution for that. Since I plan to post the first 5 chapters anyway, here is an actually small summary of what the first 5 maps will feature.

Keep in mind I still don't know how I would code some of this in, but I believe it's possible!

Spoiler

Prologue: A Simple Town map, featuring an small oasis in the middle. One set of enemies is to the left, while another to the right. The left will have an armory, while the right will have a shop. The enemies you fight will also have some of their own little goodies that you might want to swipe, but you won't have forever to do as you please with the enemy.

Chapter 1: This one is actually set to be a large map. Your army(with some new inclusions) will take to the desert and capture about 3 enemy camps. 2 events will happen as well throughout the chapter. Every 5 turns, night would set in, making it a fog of war map. 3 turns later, the sun would come up(Inspired by the final chapter in Lyn's story!). There will also be animals that might be moving through the map at random times. You can avoid them, or chase after them for exp, but they won't attack so long as you don't instigate.

Chapter 2: Wanting to get supplies, your army makes it's way to a luscious merchant town. filled with supplies and beautiful dancers. Sadly, the enemy won't just let you have your way, so your best bet is to escape before you're overrun. You make your way through the close laned city, passing by shops with all kinds of different things, with powerful enemies hot on your tail. Will you take a moment to shop and maybe even loot the town, or will you not risk it and run before you're slaughtered.

Chapter 3: You've escaped the Zunbae by passing through a dark mining cave. But this cave was abandoned, and with good reason. Another fog of war chapter, but some say there was a magic switch in there somewhere that could light up the entire cave.

Chapter 4: Your army makes it's way to a bit of a greener part of the desert. This is the only place in the country where food can be grown, and you'll want to capture it from the enemy, if only for a moment. This chapter will be a little lighter simply because of the last two being what they were. That doesn't mean this chapter is without it's secrets though.

Thank you very much for the suggestion! I'll have to give it a look and see what I can't do.

15 minutes ago, Jayderson said:

The main antagonist will be far more than your every day bandit, you need not worry about that ;)

Map variety did come into question when I first thought out this hack, but I believe I have a solution for that. Since I plan to post the first 5 chapters anyway, here is an actually small summary of what the first 5 maps will feature.

Keep in mind I still don't know how I would code some of this in, but I believe it's possible!

Hide contents

Prologue: A Simple Town map, featuring an small oasis in the middle. One set of enemies is to the left, while another to the right. The left will have an armory, while the right will have a shop. The enemies you fight will also have some of their own little goodies that you might want to swipe, but you won't have forever to do as you please with the enemy.

Chapter 1: This one is actually set to be a large map. Your army(with some new inclusions) will take to the desert and capture about 3 enemy camps. 2 events will happen as well throughout the chapter. Every 5 turns, night would set in, making it a fog of war map. 3 turns later, the sun would come up(Inspired by the final chapter in Lyn's story!). There will also be animals that might be moving through the map at random times. You can avoid them, or chase after them for exp, but they won't attack so long as you don't instigate.

Chapter 2: Wanting to get supplies, your army makes it's way to a luscious merchant town. filled with supplies and beautiful dancers. Sadly, the enemy won't just let you have your way, so your best bet is to escape before you're overrun. You make your way through the close laned city, passing by shops with all kinds of different things, with powerful enemies hot on your tail. Will you take a moment to shop and maybe even loot the town, or will you not risk it and run before you're slaughtered.

Chapter 3: You've escaped the Zunbae by passing through a dark mining cave. But this cave was abandoned, and with good reason. Another fog of war chapter, but some say there was a magic switch in there somewhere that could light up the entire cave.

Chapter 4: Your army makes it's way to a bit of a greener part of the desert. This is the only place in the country where food can be grown, and you'll want to capture it from the enemy, if only for a moment. This chapter will be a little lighter simply because of the last two being what they were. That doesn't mean this chapter is without it's secrets though.

Thank you very much for the suggestion! I'll have to give it a look and see what I can't do.

Spoiler

The Prologue, Chapter 2, and Chapter 4 sound simple enough to do in SRPG Studio, but while SRPG Studio does allow you to change the map colors (i.e. day, evening, and night), I do not believe any English-speaking users have managed to make fog-of-war chapters with the software.  There should be a custom fog-of-war script on the Japanese SRPG Studio Wiki, but I have not tried it.

For Chapter 1 in particular, you could create multiple Seize events that each trigger a switch, and the map would end when all of those switches are triggered.

New classes for wild animals should be very easy to create, though you will need to make or find custom animations for them.

11 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Hide contents

The Prologue, Chapter 2, and Chapter 4 sound simple enough to do in SRPG Studio, but while SRPG Studio does allow you to change the map colors (i.e. day, evening, and night), I do not believe any English-speaking users have managed to make fog-of-war chapters with the software.  There should be a custom fog-of-war script on the Japanese SRPG Studio Wiki, but I have not tried it.

For Chapter 1 in particular, you could create multiple Seize events that each trigger a switch, and the map would end when all of those switches are triggered.

New classes for wild animals should be very easy to create, though you will need to make or find custom animations for them.

Spoiler

I'm not going to lie: I figured I would make the wild animals Mauth Doogs and Gwyllgi

Since I'm still awake, here's the sprites n special info for our Prologue characters and the main story itself.

Spoiler

Miclas.png.764429e3809b33d9092390e8ab2a8166.png

Miclas: Young Talent. Special Weapon: Ari: Critical Hit Rate +15. 5Mt and 3 Wt. Might Change the sprite, he looks a little... richer than he should I think.

Bases/Growth

HP: 12/80%
Mag: 4/80%
Skill: 3/50%
Speed: 4/35%
Luck: 2/10%
Defense: 4/25%
Resistance: 5/40%

Tobin.png.d3526b9be0ace34b165957dff4b3cfac.png

Tobin: Old Scholar.

HP: 34/5%
Mag: 20/0%
Skill: 15/2%
Speed: 12/5%
Luck: 13/0%
Defense:12/10%
Resistance:12/15%

Tsura.png.0662bfd7ef2181b4161a7ece22d8f5ca.png

Tsura: Mischievous Princess. Special Weapon: Dobi: Flux but unbreaking. Mt 5

HP: 11/105%
Mag: 5/60%
Skill: 5/65%
Speed: 5/45%
Luck: 2/30%
Defense: 3/20%
Resistance: 3/20%

Douglas.png.1851c87d12daeacfeb54773518144b12.png

Douglas: Respective Liege: Special Weapon: Moons Strike: Brave Luna. Mt: 12. Definitely gonna change this sprite.. it's bad

HP: 40/0%
Mag: 18/0%
Skill: 14/0%
Speed: 13/0%
Luck: 12/200%
Defense: 12/0%
Resistance: 14/0%

In Hard Mode: All Growths are cut by 1/3rd, but bases are raised by 2-4

Plot:

Spoiler

Driven from her home, Tsura and her trust liege, Douglas, flee to the border, praying to escape. At their last destination before crossing the border, Tsura and Douglas run into Miclas and Tobin, who are staging the beginnings of a rebellion. They are intercepted by a small task force sent to snuff out any sign of rebellion, however, and must now fight their way out. After the fighting ceases, Tobin and Douglas reveal that they once knew each other, and after Tsura's constant demands, they decide to work together to begin the first stages of their rebellion.

50 minutes ago, Jayderson said:

Since I'm still awake, here's the sprites n special info for our Prologue characters and the main story itself.

Spoiler

Miclas.png.764429e3809b33d9092390e8ab2a8166.png

Miclas: Young Talent. Special Weapon: Ari: Critical Hit Rate +15. 5Mt and 3 Wt. Might Change the sprite, he looks a little... richer than he should I think.

Bases/Growth

HP: 12/80%
Mag: 4/80%
Skill: 3/50%
Speed: 4/35%
Luck: 2/10%
Defense: 4/25%
Resistance: 5/40%

Tobin.png.d3526b9be0ace34b165957dff4b3cfac.png

Tobin: Old Scholar.

HP: 34/5%
Mag: 20/0%
Skill: 15/2%
Speed: 12/5%
Luck: 13/0%
Defense:12/10%
Resistance:12/15%

Tsura.png.0662bfd7ef2181b4161a7ece22d8f5ca.png

Tsura: Mischievous Princess. Special Weapon: Dobi: Flux but unbreaking. Mt 5

HP: 11/105%
Mag: 5/60%
Skill: 5/65%
Speed: 5/45%
Luck: 2/30%
Defense: 3/20%
Resistance: 3/20%

Douglas.png.1851c87d12daeacfeb54773518144b12.png

Douglas: Respective Liege: Special Weapon: Moons Strike: Brave Luna. Mt: 12. Definitely gonna change this sprite.. it's bad

HP: 40/0%
Mag: 18/0%
Skill: 14/0%
Speed: 13/0%
Luck: 12/200%
Defense: 12/0%
Resistance: 14/0%

Spoiler

Please tell me you're not using that Character Creator thing.  The colors it yields look ugly and unnatural.  Just compare portraits made with this program to the original portraits in the GBA games and you'll see what I mean.  That program is far better simply for previewing how certain splicing combinations work than for actually making portraits to be used in games.

However, the individual pieces used by the program are VERY good for manual splicing if you give them their original colors back first.

I assume Miclas and Tsura are both supposed to be the main Lord characters.  Why are their bases so awful?  Miclas's bases are even worse than Sophia's in Binding Blade!  Wouldn't it be more sensible just to give them higher HP bases and lower HP growths?  What you could do is compare their BSTs to those of the original GBA Lord characters like Eirika and the Blazing Blade trio and give Miclas and Tsura BSTs more along those lines.

I'm curious why Tobin and Douglas have such low growths even for Jagen characters.  I'm even more curious why Douglas has a 200-freaking-% Luck growth and 0% growths everywhere else.

Did you have specific classes in mind for each of these characters?

How old is Miclas supposed to be?  Either his face looks too young or his body looks too big.  Tobin and Tsura's sprites look okay, but would be better off manually colored.  Douglas's sprite could be decent if his head was raised up a little higher, even if it does cover his eyes.

When balancing units, it's a good idea to compare your units' stats to those of units from official GBA Fire Emblem games.  But don't give axe infantry low Speed, though.  That's just not cool.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

10 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I am currently using Character Creator. The colors are quite awful, but I figured it would be a good base to start. I can't get anything working with photoshop and this was the best I could find. If there's something better I would love to use that instead.

The reason Miclas and Tsura's growths are so low, and you did ask this with Miclas: They are 11. It will make more sense(hopefully) when actually playing the game. When looking at Tobin and Douglas' growths, I looked toward Fe1 and Fe5 for reference, and decided they had to be worse. Douglas's Luck growth is purely because I find it funny. The idea is they'll be useful for a tad while, but they'll be there mainly to assist Miclas and Tsura early on. There's one more prepromote you get early on, but I won't spoil it for now.

These characters are all mages. Miclas starts out as a normal mage, but will promote to be able to use a sword as well.

Tsura is a dark mage  who will promote into a flying dark mage.

And Tobin and Douglas are a Sage/Druid respectively

That said, you're definitely right about the Hp Base. It's pretty atrocious

Edited by Jayderson

10 minutes ago, Jayderson said:

I am currently using Character Creator. The colors are quite awful, but I figured it would be a good base to start. I can't get anything working with photoshop and this was the best I could find. If there's something better I would love to use that instead.

The reason Miclas and Tsura's growths are so low, and you did ask this with Miclas: They are 11. It will make more sense(hopefully) when actually playing the game.

Usenti and/or MS Paint (but mostly Usenti) is your best friend when it comes to manual splicing and sprite editing.  Usenti will let you see how many colors a sprite currently has, which is highly important if you want it to be within GBA color limitations.

The young age = low bases argument is partly undermined by Lugh (also from Binding Blade).  Your Lords look approximately equal to him in age, but his bases are a little higher than theirs overall.

22 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Usenti and/or MS Paint (but mostly Usenti) is your best friend when it comes to manual splicing and sprite editing.  Usenti will let you see how many colors a sprite currently has, which is highly important if you want it to be within GBA color limitations.

The young age = low bases argument is partly undermined by Lugh (also from Binding Blade).  Your Lords look approximately equal to him in age, but his bases are a little higher than theirs overall.

Oh, I don't think I've ever heard of Usenti before, but it sounds marginally better.

I mean, yea you're not wrong. I'll compare Tsura and Miclas to their counterparts and balance it out a little more. Didn't even realize Miclas had lower bases than Sophia, lol.

Went into MS paint trying to fix some coloring on Tsura, and also fixed up Miclas as well. Also balanced their bases and growths a little more.
Keep in mind Im kind of bad with this sort of stuff.

Spoiler

MiclasNew.png.3c589de339ab61a1f48bb5c208cc81cb.png

Miclas

New Base/Growths:
HP: 15/80
STR: 7/80
SKL: 7/50
SPD: 5/35
LCK: 4/40
DEF: 5/25
RES: 7/40

TsuraNew.png.f7559f2e8a16eda58e1fb578cb6a8bd8.png

Tsura:

New Base/Growths:
HP: 16/105
STR: 8/60
SKL: 6/65
SPD: 5/45
LCK: 3/30
DEF: 4/45
RES: 5/35

Edited by Jayderson

23 minutes ago, Jayderson said:

Went into MS paint trying to fix some coloring on Tsura, and also fixed up Miclas as well. Also balanced their bases and growths a little more.
Keep in mind Im kind of bad with this sort of stuff.

Hide contents

MiclasNew.png.3c589de339ab61a1f48bb5c208cc81cb.png

Miclas

New Base/Growths:
HP: 15/80
STR: 7/80
SKL: 7/50
SPD: 5/35
LCK: 4/40
DEF: 5/25
RES: 7/40

TsuraNew.png.f7559f2e8a16eda58e1fb578cb6a8bd8.png

Tsura:

New Base/Growths:
HP: 16/105
STR: 8/60
SKL: 6/65
SPD: 5/45
LCK: 3/30
DEF: 4/45
RES: 5/35

Their bases look a lot better now, though they shouldn't need such high HP growths any more (How about 65% for Miclas and 80% for Tsura, since I can tell you still want them to have high HP?).

The portraits themselves still don't look good, though.  I'll try and see if I can make you a tutorial on how to do manual splicing with the individual heads and bodies used by Character Creator.  However, I will need you to tell me exactly what parts you used to make these.  For Tsura I can tell you used Juno's hair and Fir's head, but I don't immediately recognize that body.

EDIT: I often find mixing FE6/7 and FE8 parts to be a bad idea because FE8 portrait angles tend to be a lot more varied.

10 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Their bases look a lot better now, though they shouldn't need such high HP growths any more (How about 65% for Miclas and 80% for Tsura, since I can tell you still want them to have high HP?).

The portraits themselves still don't look good, though.  I'll try and see if I can make you a tutorial on how to do manual splicing with the individual heads and bodies used by Character Creator.  However, I will need you to tell me exactly what parts you used to make these.  For Tsura I can tell you used Juno's hair and Fir's head, but I don't immediately recognize that body.

Tsura's body is Leila's,

Miclas's parts are:
Head: Ewan
Hair: Guy
Body: Fir

2 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I've posted that tutorial.  You should have been pinged.

After doing that, I'm starting to wonder if you'd be better off just aging the two Lords up.

Thank you very much! I played around with it for a bit and got a feel for what I was doing, and there is a noticeable difference. It looks really good. Here's Tsura's old design vs the current that I have. Might change the colors around some more, but it just looks so much nicer.

I've also considered aging Miclas and Tsura up, but only by a little. I still want them to be very young when they meet. If I change them, they'll be 13 at the oldest.

Spoiler

TsuraNew.png.1c1ec08c4b4c57ad351dcf402be799d7.pngOld Tsura

Tsura.png.768d30d521eec89c176b6963b1605077.pngNew Tsura, but with correct sizes

Edited by Jayderson

4 minutes ago, Jayderson said:

Thank you very much! I played around with it for a bit and got a feel for what I was doing, and there is a noticeable difference. It looks really good. Here's Tsura's old design vs the current that I have. Might change the colors around some more, but it just looks so much nicer.

I've also considered aging Miclas and Tsura up, but only by a little. I still want them to be very young when they meet. If I change them, they'll be 13 at the oldest.

Hide contents

TsuraNew.png.1c1ec08c4b4c57ad351dcf402be799d7.pngOld Tsura

Tsura.png.768d30d521eec89c176b6963b1605077.pngNew Tsura, but with correct sizes

Spoiler

I think 13 years old is a reasonable age for them.

...It's an improvement in terms of color scheme, but the shading on new Tsura looks awfully flat.  You can just use the portrait I made and modify it if you want to.  Heck, I could even attempt to make you a better Miclas portrait.

When you're doing the color swap step in Usenti to change color sets on your WIP portrait, you can use the dropper tool on the portrait you're pulling color from to see the RGB values for it, then use the dropper tool on the color on the WIP portrait you want to replace to see those RGB values and replace them.  ...I'll admit this sort of thing requires a very strong eye for detail.  If needed, you can scroll with the mouse wheel in Usenti to zoom in and out quite far.

25 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Hide contents

I think 13 years old is a reasonable age for them.

...It's an improvement in terms of color scheme, but the shading on new Tsura looks awfully flat.  You can just use the portrait I made and modify it if you want to.  Heck, I could even attempt to make you a better Miclas portrait.

When you're doing the color swap step in Usenti to change color sets on your WIP portrait, you can use the dropper tool on the portrait you're pulling color from to see the RGB values for it, then use the dropper tool on the color on the WIP portrait you want to replace to see those RGB values and replace them.  ...I'll admit this sort of thing requires a very strong eye for detail.  If needed, you can scroll with the mouse wheel in Usenti to zoom in and out quite far.

I would very much appreciate any and all help. The more I work on sprites, They will begin to look better, I hope

Edited by Jayderson

Update: Gave up on sprites for now. Will do that another day. Currently I am working on Chapter 3, er Chapter 2 if you don't count the prologue. Said Prologue and Chapter 1 are almost completely done, minus a few things. Chapter 2 would also be done if I could figure out how to make shops work.

Initially, I wanted to try and get a very alpha version of the first 5 chapters out, but I leave on a roadtrip tomorrow, so if I can get Chapter 2 completely finished before I leave, I will post said demo for people to maybe try out and test for me.

If all goes according to plan, said demo will include:

• 3 Semi Unique Chapters, each with different objectives.
  • 11 Playable Characters, 10 of which you get at the start of their respective chapters
  • Skills and Prf weapons for most characters
  • Unique bases and growths
  • Some other beta stuff.

Another issue with chapter 2 Im having is getting the units to enter a specific zone and make an event happen. So far I've resorted to just setting a 1 hp 0 bases character there for you to easily bop, which will trigger the event. Can't figure out chests either.

Am using Srpg Studio to create this

Edited by Jayderson

Glad to hear!  Are you using the demo or full version of the software?

Could you describe how you want to set up Chapter 2's goal?  Is there a broad area you want characters to be able to step in?

4 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Glad to hear!  Are you using the demo or full version of the software!

Currently just the Demo. Im waiting just a little longer to get the full version; some financial things need to be finalized, what with the holidays and all

How do intend to do class bases right now?  It's very important to think about how you want classes to be balanced.  You could borrow class bases from the GBA games for now and manually calculate enemy Level Ups with GBA growth rates as you assign stats to enemies in maps.

On 12/24/2018 at 8:48 PM, Von Ithipathachai said:

How do intend to do class bases right now?  It's very important to think about how you want classes to be balanced.  You could borrow class bases from the GBA games for now and manually calculate enemy Level Ups with GBA growth rates as you assign stats to enemies in maps.

Im going to be completely honest, setting bases had never occured to me until I read this.

Like I had a general idea of what bases enemies and units would have, thanks to the Gba games, but Ive so far been going in and just deciding what I wanted the enemies to have base wise.

In recent news, over break Ive created a rough draft of how I want every chapter to go. 

Said rough draft includes:

29 chapters, including a Prologue, a small side quest chapter, and the finale.

3 Major Antagonists, and a Final Antagonist

7 Campaign Chapters that mirror fe4's maps.

6 City chapters that have a seperate goal to obtain

2 Cave chapters with different kinds of enemies

5 Simple Sieze maps

3 Boss fight chapters

And then some

Also created 8 more player units who will appear at various times

4 minutes ago, Jayderson said:

Im going to be completely honest, setting bases had never occured to me until I read this.

Like I had a general idea of what bases enemies and units would have, thanks to the Gba games, but Ive so far been going in and just deciding what I wanted the enemies to have base wise.

In recent news, over break Ive created a rough draft of how I want every chapter to go. 

Said rough draft includes:

29 chapters, including a Prologue, a small side quest chapter, and the finale.

3 Major Antagonists, and a Final Antagonist

7 Campaign Chapters that mirror fe4's maps.

6 City chapters that have a seperate goal to obtain

2 Cave chapters with different kinds of enemies

5 Simple Sieze maps

3 Boss fight chapters

And then some

Also created 8 more player units who will appear at various times

Okay, always good to have an idea of how many chapters you want to have to keep track of your progress.  Funny enough, I too plan to have 29 chapters in my game, though they're all mandatory.

I must ask though.  Could you give a better description of these "Campaign Chapters"?  When you say they mirror Genealogy of the Holy War's maps, does that mean they'll be super-sized compared to all the other maps?  I feel it would be a little weird to have both enormous FE4-style chapters alongside smaller, more traditionally sized chapters; I would pick one or the other, but not both.

20 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Okay, always good to have an idea of how many chapters you want to have to keep track of your progress.  Funny enough, I too plan to have 29 chapters in my game, though they're all mandatory.

I must ask though.  Could you give a better description of these "Campaign Chapters"?  When you say they mirror Genealogy of the Holy War's maps, does that mean they'll be super-sized compared to all the other maps?  I feel it would be a little weird to have both enormous FE4-style chapters alongside smaller, more traditionally sized chapters; I would pick one or the other, but not both.

Campaign chapters are like fe4 in design, but I dont intend for them to be supersized.

A brief description of Campaign chapters:

They are the biggest chapters out of all the others, but they're not to the size of fe4, I dont think. They will feature multiple goals, usually about 3, but I think I gave the first one 4, usually pertaining to mid bosses guarding areas. To keep them interesting, events would happen every map, like the wild animals I described earlier, and(If I can figure out how to do it) fog of war chapters.

In play testing the first one, it took me about 15 turns on average, but usually I was using the prepremotes to test if events would trigger and so forth. If I could make fog of war work, then it would last a tad bit longer. Thanks to limited vision.

Also all the enemies were using the same weapons and I intend to change that.