My thoughts on Fire Emblem 1 and full playthrough

AwakeningNoob

It took me a bit longer than expected but finally my playthrough of Fire Emblem 1 is complete. I wanted to thank everyone who provided me with tips and explanations in my other thread, THANKS! :) Here are some thoughts I had about the experience of playing the original Fire Emblem.

THE POSITIVE

- The thing that surprised me the most was how many more unusual unit types had their origin in the very first game - pegasus/dragon knights, polimorphs, shooters and the absolutely unique Mr. Chainy. I was totally expecting to see only the classic knights and mounts.

- This is easily the longest and most complex NES game I have ever played. If I had gotten to play this game back in the day on a cartridge I would've been blown away by its sheer size.

- It is actually a decent FE game. Yes it is old, devoid of any QoL feature known to men and with dated graphics, but the core FE gameplay still holds up fairly well.

THE NEGATIVE

- Inventory management in this game can go to hell. -_-

- I was expecting it to be harder, to be honest. The hardest part of the playthrough for me were the initial chapters and the few final ones. The rest was more or less smooth sailing, with some mistakes and unlucky crits here and there. I was bracing myself for the hardcoreness and unbalanceness of an NES era game but in the end it was not too bad.

In summary I think this game is worth giving it a shot, even if only to see the project that started it all. If you can put up with the horrendous inventory management and the same tune playing in every single chapter then there is some decent FE gameplay to be had here. ^_^ 

And finally if you are curious how my playthrough went I have recorded everything in the form of an amateur LP:

Spoiler

Wow.....I....have no idea how you were able to go through that game, but good job.

Like it's true, if I played FE1 back in the day when it first came out, the chances are I might have found it amazing, but it's very hard to go back such an outdated game these days...

19 hours ago, AwakeningNoob said:

This is easily the longest and most complex NES game I have ever played. If I had gotten to play this game back in the day on a cartridge I would've been blown away by its sheer size.

It is actually a decent FE game. Yes it is old, devoid of any QoL feature known to men and with dated graphics, but the core FE gameplay still holds up fairly well.

I think this game is worth giving it a shot, even if only to see the project that started it all. If you can put up with the horrendous inventory management and the same tune playing in every single chapter then there is some decent FE gameplay to be had here. ^_^ 

if you had fun with FE1, you will eventually like Gaiden even more, since you won't have a terrible inventory system.

that game also has its own unique features, wich partially changed/improved the gameplay a bit.

overall, it is yet another "hardcore" game from the NES era, but if you don't mind playing retro games, then it's probably another title worth giving a shot.

Edited by Fenreir

On 12/22/2018 at 12:36 AM, Rose482 said:

Wow.....I....have no idea how you were able to go through that game, but good job.

Like it's true, if I played FE1 back in the day when it first came out, the chances are I might have found it amazing, but it's very hard to go back such an outdated game these days...

I was the same when I tried to jump into FE1 for the first time, straight from Fates. It was much easier to do however after finishing FE4 and 5 - those were much more bearable and have gotten me used to retro FEs.

On 12/22/2018 at 12:49 PM, Fenreir said:

if you had fun with FE1, you will eventually like Gaiden even more, since you won't have a terrible inventory system.

that game also has its own unique features, wich partially changed/improved the gameplay a bit.

overall, it is yet another "hardcore" game from the NES era, but if you don't mind playing retro games, then it's probably another title worth giving a shot.

I am giving it a shot right now, actually! =) It does feel much different though, so I am a bit worried I will not get the same FE kick out of it or that the repetitive combat will get too boring at some point.

2 hours ago, AwakeningNoob said:

It does feel much different though, so I am a bit worried I will not get the same FE kick out of it or that the repetitive combat will get too boring at some point.

oh, it won't get boring, i guarantee you that. the lack of weapon usury also makes an easier items management, so you won't have to worry about that during battle.

however, you will come across many difficulty spikes on your journey.

just wait to get to the desert map with Celica. you'll understand what i mean when you'll have to fight Grieth at the stronghold.