Art Contests!

Popo

Art Contests!

Hi, everyone! This concept originally got started on FESS, but I wanted to bring it over here so that everyone has a chance to take part.

The premise is simple; for each contest that takes place within this thread, I'll post a prompt for the entries to be based on, and a date by which entries must be completed and submitted, along with any other necessary information. In general, the prompts will be broad, and the contest will be open to any and all types of style, medium and appropriate subject matter. At the end of each submission period, I will select the winning entry based on a number of factors, including creativity, quality, and reflection of the prompt. Pretty simple, right? :D

Please check out the guidelines below for some general specifications:

• Entries can be comprised of any subject matter you like, so long as it reflects the prompt in some way, and complies with what SF considers age-appropriate. Whether it be an original character or a still-life or fanart, or even a landscape, so long as it captures the essence of the prompt, it is applicable to this contest.
  • Entries can be produced in any medium you like. Pen, pencil, Photoshop, markers, mixed media, photography--all are valid for these contests.
  • Entries should be no larger than 900x900 pixels, and no smaller than 300x300 pixels. Let me know if you need help with resizing. I'm not partial to any particular file size, so long as it isn't abnormally large. I also have no specifications for file type, though it should suit the entry. (Ex: If you plan to submit a photo, don't submit it as a GIF. It should be in JPEG format.)
  • Each participant can enter one entry per contest. For entries that require multiple submissions, such as comics, please number and submit all pages. (Try and keep the max number of pages 10 or under.)
  • Entries will be judged equally on three categories:
    - How well the submission carries the theme of the prompt...
    - How much creativity the submission shows...
    - How well the piece is executed...
  • Only submit work that belongs to you. This should be obvious.
  • The first-place (and possibly second/third-place) winner will receive a small something they can place in their signature.

And that's it! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to send me a PM. I'd be more than happy to clarify any questions or concerns you might have. Prompts will be posted below, along with the corresponding dates.

GOOD LUCK!

The current prompt is due on Saturday December 13th 2008.

Edited by Popo

Contest #1

Begins Saturday November 1st 2008 and ends Saturday December 13th 2008

Entries Received: 5

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The prompt for this contest is reflective of the season. As artists, it's your job to work with and convey the theme...

...Cold Weather!

You can tackle this prompt from all sorts of different angles, but just to get the ideas flowing, I've included a few suggestions to start you all off. Feel free to use them, combine them, tweak them, or come up with something else.

Weather: Frost, snow, ice, flurries, blizzards, yellow-red-orange leaves, etc.

Attire: Coats, gloves, mittens, hats, scarves, boots and the rest.

Activities: Raking leaves, baking holiday treats, drinking something warm, picking apples, snowball fights, building snowmen, making snow angles.

Holidays: Any of the numerous holidays that fall within November and December. (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Eve, snow days, etc.)

Have fun and good luck! If you have any questions, look at the general guidelines in the post above, or PM me if I still haven't covered your concern. This thread will also remain open for questions and comments. :)

Edited by Popo

:( aww no cooking art :(

What do you mean? Cooking is a legitimate subject matter, as long as it ties into the theme somehow. :3

We need to promote this...

Spread the word! :D

lol! i'm in!

lets see how THIS turns out! XD

you could make a winter time themed cake!

i'm sure you could come up with something awesome!

But im making a serenes cake ATM :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... This sounds interesting. I think I'm gonna stretch the limits of what is conisdered acceptable media by submitting something... less common. Be prepared for the blinding light of my genius, Popo! >:]

Hmmm... This sounds interesting. I think I'm gonna stretch the limits of what is conisdered acceptable media by submitting something... less common. Be prepared for the blinding light of my genius, Popo! >:]

I'm excited to see this. >:D

Don't forget to actually send in your entries, everyone! I hear I lot of promises to participate, but I only have one concrete submission at the moment. TT__TT

Just a reminder, the contest deadline is next Saturday, December 13th by midnight!

If you intend to submit something, please make sure you finish it up sometime within the next week and get it sent in. :)

Yes you can, it just depends on which one you like best. Obviously if I said "this one sucks" rather than "this one is awesome" then you can compare them.

By the way Popo, the deadline is passed, so when are we getting the judge?

How can you judge different forms of art against one and other, you really can't
Entries will be judged equally on three categories:

- How well the submission carries the theme of the prompt...

- How much creativity the submission shows...

- How well the piece is executed...

I'm not grading the entries against each other so much I'm grading them based on how well they meet the above criteria. I hope this clears up your concerns. :)

Yes you can, it just depends on which one you like best. Obviously if I said "this one sucks" rather than "this one is awesome" then you can compare them.

By the way Popo, the deadline is passed, so when are we getting the judge?

I'm not basing my choices on how much I prefer one piece over another--that would be bias. ;) As I just mentioned to Doom_Dragon_103, I'm judging the entries based on their fulfillment of the above criteria. As for the results, I'll have them up sometime before New Year's, since that's most likely when the next prompt will be up. I also just got home from college this afternoon so I haven't had much time to review the submissions in depth. Please understand. :)

I'm not grading the entries against each other so much I'm grading them based on how well they meet the above criteria. I hope this clears up your concerns. :)

I'm not basing my choices on how much I prefer one piece over another--that would be bias. ;) As I just mentioned to Doom_Dragon_103, I'm judging the entries based on their fulfillment of the above criteria. As for the results, I'll have them up sometime before New Year's, since that's most likely when the next prompt will be up. I also just got home from college this afternoon so I haven't had much time to review the submissions in depth. Please understand. :)

Some things can't be made well in some area though.

Then that's your problem. And besides, it can. Look at the criteria again. It's a pretty easy set of criteria.

I... don't really understand what you're trying to say there. Did you mean that some mediums are harder to work in than others? I assure you, that's being taking into consideration, but again, I'm not comparing the pieces against each other--I'm awarding points to the participants based on how well they execute the criteria on an individual basis. In this case, if someone chooses a difficult medium to work in, they get points based on how well the finished piece turns out. They don't, however, get points just because they choose a more difficult medium than the other contenders. They still have to show mastery over their medium.