How to actually study after I get back from school?

lazu

So I have a pretty long and tiring school day. I have a 45min bus journey there and back, so I get there at 8.40 and arrive back home by 6. But by that point I'm so tired that I can't actually bring myself to study, review my notes, etc even though I really need to or I'll fail my class. 

Any advice? :)

This quarter that had just past was very hard for me because of work + school + commute time. I had work 30 hours a week and commute is 45 to 60 minutes a day to school/work (there and back). My main solution was to study on the bus, before work, before class started (never during class), and in the morning. Sometimes I studied at the library because I had no distractions or had no other activities to do to distract myself. 

I have the same problem, what I usually do is to make a plan on what I am going to do once I get back. So if I get work from all for classes then I know to maybe spend some of my lunchtime on school work so that when I get home I can finish everything and have a bit of time to relax. Another thing that helps if you know you are going to have to spend all day on schoolwork is to listen to music, so find a playlist or album of music you like to help you get through it all. One last thing that helps is that every hour take 5 or 10 minutes to stretch and drink some water so that you don't get headaches from all the work.

-sigh- Looks like I will just have to study on the bus then... Lunchtime is a good candidate too.

Music distracts me because I always want to stop and listen to it :D

If you have friends in the same course, often a phone call/voice chat where the two of you go over the content helps a lot. Even if the phone call is 90% goofing off and 10% studying, you'll still be reviewing. I do this pretty often when finals draw near, it's a helpful way to keep your spirits high while reviewing. 

Also, often times teachers will hand out a course syllabus. It's a smart idea to almost use that as a check list for what you know/don't know. Organizing your notes is also extremely useful, as well as opening them up and highlighting things that might be important. You won't really retain knowledge from highlighting, but when you go back and look at your notes for review, it helps a lot.

Good luck with the studying!