I Decided to Give FE4 Another Chance

Rezzy

I tried FE4 a few years ago, but was put off by the Byzantine Inventory system and interface, but I thought I'd give it another try, so I could complete the FE series so to speak.

I made it past the first map this time, and I'm actually having quite a but of fun with it.  I think it's also the first actual video game I've played since Echoes came out, and it makes me feel young again to be absorbed in a new game like that.

I understand why people like it so much now.

I tried FE4 a few years ago, but was put off by the Byzantine Inventory system and interface, but I thought I'd give it another try, so I could complete the FE series so to speak.

I made it past the first map this time, and I'm actually having quite a but of fun with it.  I think it's also the first actual video game I've played since Echoes came out, and it makes me feel young again to be absorbed in a new game like that.

I understand why people like it so much now.

Yeah, the inventory system is quite the annoying thing to get used to, that's for damn sure. Glad you're giving the game another shot and that you're enjoying it.

Have you read some guides? Do you know some stuff about the game? Or are you planning to go 100% blind?

8 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

I recently tried FE4 but disliked the item system, the maps, the lack of rescue, etc. Maybe if I play again like you, I too will like it. 

It's not for everyone.  I've started multiple times, but just can't find it in me to get to the end of the first generation (never mind the second one).  It doesn't mean that FE4 is a bad game - just means that it isn't the game for me.  It might be the same case for you, too.

Just now, Tryhard said:

Yeah, but you're not truly immersed unless you are serious about the dating sim elements.

I can't pair Arden and Alec, 0/10 would not recommend. :P:

Ahem. . .good luck, Rezzy!  May the single RN system be on your side~!

34 minutes ago, eclipse said:

It's not for everyone.  I've started multiple times, but just can't find it in me to get to the end of the first generation (never mind the second one).  It doesn't mean that FE4 is a bad game - just means that it isn't the game for me.  It might be the same case for you, too.

What's this single RN system?

Just now, RexBolt said:

I'll. . .uh, try to make this brief.

In the pre-GBA games, whether or not you hit a character was determined by "the RNG picks a number, compares it to a character's hit, and if it's higher/lower (don't remember which), it counts as a hit".  So if your character has a 41% chance of hitting, then it was exactly 41%.  It made things a little less certain, and also made for some hilarious stories (1% hits and the like).

From the GBA games to Awakening, the RNG picked two numbers, and compared both to a character's hit.  If your hit was roughly 50%, you'd hit 50% of the time.  As you went towards the extremes, you were more likely to hit/miss (as both numbers had to pass the threshold).  So a 75% displayed hit was more like a 87.5% true hit (or something like that).  There's more details on SF's main site, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

Then Fates did weird, complicated things to the hit RNG, and it makes my head hurt.

58 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Yeah, the inventory system is quite the annoying thing to get used to, that's for damn sure. Glad you're giving the game another shot and that you're enjoying it.

Have you read some guides? Do you know some stuff about the game? Or are you planning to go 100% blind?

I've already seen LPs of it, and been pretty spoiled on the story.  This is just my first time actually playing it.

50 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Yeah, but you're not truly immersed unless you are serious about the dating sim elements.

I really wish there was a single kid who I could inherit Lex's Brave Axe down to.

49 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I really want to use Azel, but he's so slow that by the time he gets there, the fighting is all done.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

I really want to use Azel, but he's so slow that by the time he gets there, the fighting is all done.

Oooh, another Azel fan~!  He's definitely amusing!  I'm not sure where you are, but there's maps that aren't full of roads.  There's also multiple objectives, so you can have your infantry go towards one, while Sigurd and Co. go a different way.

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Oooh, another Azel fan~!  He's definitely amusing!  I'm not sure where you are, but there's maps that aren't full of roads.  There's also multiple objectives, so you can have your infantry go towards one, while Sigurd and Co. go a different way.

I guess I'm a sucker for mages and for red heads, and he's both.  I gave him the Mage and Skill rings.  He'll probably get the Leg Ring, whenever I get that, so he can keep up with my horses.

Azel and Finn are getting all my Rings.  Although Sigurd currently has the Barrier Ring, since I haven't pawned that yet.  (Maybe it will help him at the end of Gen 1.)

I'm on Chapter 2 right now.  It's been pretty pedal to the metal so far, since I had to save the paladins, and then the villages.  I just got Lewyn, Sylvia, and Beowulf.  (I know the official name is Silvia, but I refuse to spell it that way.)

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

I really wish there was a single kid who I could inherit Lex's Brave Axe down to.

My apologies if you already know this, but almost any item that does not get inherited into the second generation will eventually show up either in the shop or as a dropable item from various enemies. So you are going to see that Brave Axe again.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

I guess I'm a sucker for mages and for red heads, and he's both.  I gave him the Mage and Skill rings.  He'll probably get the Leg Ring, whenever I get that, so he can keep up with my horses.

Azel and Finn are getting all my Rings.  Although Sigurd currently has the Barrier Ring, since I haven't pawned that yet.  (Maybe it will help him at the end of Gen 1.)

I'm on Chapter 2 right now.  It's been pretty pedal to the metal so far, since I had to save the paladins, and then the villages.  I just got Lewyn, Sylvia, and Beowulf.  (I know the official name is Silvia, but I refuse to spell it that way.)

Once you promote Azel, those problems go away. Sadly he needs to promote first. Get him the Thunder tome if you didn't already, it helps a lot for his combat.

Azel and best knight, good choices for bias. I will say the Barrier ring isn't too big a deal for Sigurd, but that's mostly because of it being G1. Did you get Arden and Lex's events?

Yeah, Chapter 2 is one that kind of puts me off replays in all honesty. You go all out in the first few castles, then unless you are willing to have massive slowdown to get everyone together you pretty much have to force yourself to just use cavs up to the second last castle.

5 minutes ago, Aera said:

Ah, so jealous. I've been wanting to play a game to enjoy for some time now. Really want this officially translated and sold on e-shop.

I assume the issue for you is really wanting to play legit. If that's not as big a concern and you can get the rom, I'll just point out Project Naga as a strong translation.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

I assume the issue for you is really wanting to play legit. If that's not as big a concern and you can get the rom, I'll just point out Project Naga as a strong translation.

My issue is actually wanting to lie down and play a game. LOL. 

27 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I've already seen LPs of it, and been pretty spoiled on the story.  This is just my first time actually playing it.

Ah, I see, I asked because there's some really out there events in the game like Lex's Brave Axe and Arden's pursuit ring events but I see you already knew about Lex's Brave Axe.

Yeah, Azel is really difficult to train because he's a fire mage and fire magic is pretty bad in FE4. I recommend you replace that fire tome the moment you get a thunder or wind tome, either is better if you ask me.

10 minutes ago, Aera said:

Ah, so jealous. I've been wanting to play a game to enjoy for some time now. Really want this officially translated and sold on e-shop.

That would be nice, but Nintendo has seemed unwilling to provide patches for their unlocalized games.

6 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

My apologies if you already know this, but almost any item that does not get inherited into the second generation will eventually show up either in the shop or as a dropable item from various enemies. So you are going to see that Brave Axe again.

Yeah, I've heard there is a non-kid unit who can use axes and the Brave Axe drops off a boss, but it's not the same as passing it down.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Once you promote Azel, those problems go away. Sadly he needs to promote first. Get him the Thunder tome if you didn't already, it helps a lot for his combat.

Azel and best knight, good choices for bias. I will say the Barrier ring isn't too big a deal for Sigurd, but that's mostly because of it being G1. Did you get Arden and Lex's events?

Yeah, Chapter 2 is one that kind of puts me off replays in all honesty. You go all out in the first few castles, then unless you are willing to have massive slowdown to get everyone together you pretty much have to force yourself to just use cavs up to the second last castle.

My Azel is currently only level 10 halfway through Chapter 2, and I grabbed him a Thunder tome.

I made a save point before seizing Anphony, and I'm wondering if I should regroup everybody down south, grab all the villages, and Arena up my new recruits before capping the castle.  Will the next wave of enemies rush me as soon as I seize, or will they wait for me to come to them?

1 minute ago, UFVKNP said:

There's some that rush you (10 total I believe, all cavs) and the rest stay put. There's a way to aggro the rest a bit earlier than you're meant to, but I'll let you figure that out.

Okay, I think I'll move everybody down south first then.

I'm enjoying FE4, but I did wish it gave you more of a breather between castles in Chapter 2.

Lachesis's Green Suicide Squad made me rush Anphony before I was totally ready.  (I was trying to wait for Azel to catch up.)

But I guess if there are going to come to me, it will let me use my infantry units for a change.

Unless I'm mistaken, Lachesis' boys don't automatically attack enemies unless they're in their range; the rest of the time, they just stay glued to Lachesis. So unless I'm wrong, you can keep her away from the fight and they'll also stay out of it.

I'm probably wrong, but feel free to give it a shot.

1 minute ago, UFVKNP said:

Unless I'm mistaken, Lachesis' boys don't automatically attack enemies unless they're in their range; the rest of the time, they just stay glued to Lachesis. So unless I'm wrong, you can keep her away from the fight and they'll also stay out of it.

I'm probably wrong, but feel free to give it a shot.

They were just barely in range of the Armor Club.  I was trying to move Lachesis next to Beowulf and the rest of my army, and that caused her ginger triplets to Leeroy Jenkins the castle.

I'd like to use Lachesis, since I hear her promotion is broken, but it's going to be a bit of a slog to get her there.  I may have to give her Finn's Paragon Ring.

I was the same way the first time I gave it a shot, but I've tried going back to it recently, I'm up to chapter 4, and I'm having a lot of fun. I think it's partly because I'm using my head this time around more than last time.

Either way, though, it's definitely not for everyone. I can recommend the Oosawa manga if you can find it translated, though, it's pretty darn good.

Edited by UFVKNP

Wait is Byzantine now a word for weird/strange/dumb? I would say Holy Roman Empirian is a better adjective for "a mess".

Also FE4, I tried playing it recently and all it does is scare me. I feel like it's too complicated with all it's mechanics and I also don't know how I will ever be able to use a unit that isn't mounted in it or even max them out in 10 chapters.

2 hours ago, RexBolt said:

RN stands for Random Number, RNG stands for Random Number Generator.

Through FE1 to FE5 the hit you would see in the battle preview and on the combat screen is called display hit, here what the game would do is pick a number from 0-99 "randomly" (It's not actually 100% random) and if the RN happened to be lower than the display hit then the attack would connect. It was as simple as that, the hit that showed on the game was the same as your actual probabilities of hitting.

However FE6-FE13 did things differently, what these games did was grab two numbers and average them out and if the result number was lower than the display hit then your attack would connect, the big thing here is that this averaging out makes it so that display hits 50-99 have a higher chance to connect than in the 1RN system but display hits 1-49 would actually have a lower chance to succeed than what it would show. The reason this system was implemented was so that players, who usually have the higher hitrates, would miss less often while enemies, which usually have the low hitrates, would miss more frequently and thus improving the player experience.

FE14 did a pretty simple change, display hits of 1-49 would use the 1RN system (The one used FE1 through FE5) and numbers of 50-99 would use the 2RN system (The one used in FE6 through FE13)

FE15 seems to be 1RN but it hasn't been confirmed yet.

I bookmarked this in my browser so that I can look it up while playing a 2RN game
 https://serenesforest.net/general/true-hit/

2 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Wait is Byzantine now a word for weird/strange/dumb? I would say Holy Roman Empirian is a better adjective for "a mess".

Byz·an·tine
/ˈbizənˌtēn,ˈbizənˌtīn/
adjective
adjective: Byzantine
  1. 1.
    relating to Byzantium, the Byzantine Empire, or the Eastern Orthodox Church.
    • of an ornate artistic and architectural style that developed in the Byzantine Empire and spread especially to Italy and Russia. The art is generally rich and stylized (as in religious icons) and the architecture typified by many-domed, highly decorated churches.
  2. 2.
    (of a system or situation) excessively complicated, typically involving a great deal of administrative detail.

More in the convoluted sense.