Dumb Choices.

ArgentSable

What extremely bad decision do you feel the protagonist/protagonists should have avoided that would have avoided/made the entire plot super pointless?

Since it's fresh in mind, for me it's in Genealogy, with the runner up being Awakening.

Sigurd is told that Deirdre is cursed, like if she marries doom is to befall the world (I forget the exact words but you get the gist of it). And amidst a world where curses are a thing, where dragons exist, and where people hold holy and demon weapons in the names of magical crusaders, he proceeds to call the Prophecy hogwash, and chases after her anyway. Don't get me wrong, I still love Genealogy (probably my 2nd, or 3rd favorite) but I have to say that I was astounded at how badly he took the advice and said "Yo, I don't care, the power of boners prevails over all!"

Runner Up: Chrom taking Robin to the Dragon's Table for no apparent reason, instead of taking the advice that Robin and Frederick gave him being "I don't think I can hold back, or I don't think it's a good idea."

So now go ham, lay it on the protags/characters.

Sigurd chasing after Deidre was stupid and cheesy for that reason and because it was written off as "love at first sight" which is such an eyeroll way to handle a romance. It's only in fairy tales where they live happily ever after, not epic stories that want to be taken seriously.

1 minute ago, Dragoncat said:

Sigurd chasing after Deidre was stupid and cheesy for that reason and because it was written off as "love at first sight" which is such an eyeroll way to handle a romance. It's only in fairy tales where they live happily ever after, not epic stories that want to be taken seriously.

Yeah. Honestly I had forgotten about this entirely and it caught me off guard. Probably the same reason I hate some other ships in Fire Emblem if I'm honest. I will say though, at least Arvis balances out the story.

Corrin not immediately killing Shura, like he's a spy/assassin(I think that's right) who snuck on the boat, just take Leos advice and kill him.

Also, this isn't much of a decision but the thing that happens between Eliwood and Ninian after he gets Durandel I thought was kinda forced.

Eirika. Sacred Stone of Renais. Lyon. Need I say more? Oh, and let's not forget the part where L'arachel told her it was not going to work at the start of that same chapter.

Edited by Shadow Mir

I always think the fight against Kotaro in Conquest is extremely dumb. 

Kotaro captures Kagero and for some reason Corrin is shocked and appalled that one of his enemies could be captured by his allies in wartime. Xander weirdly enough backs him up on this but Kotaro acts the strangest of them all. Rather than just release one captive Kotaro thinks the best reaction to Corrin's outrage is to just kill off the entire Nohrian royal family. It really feels like the alliance with Mokushu falls apart and everyone turns on each other for absolutely no reason at all. 

And its not like there couldn't have been better reasons. Kotaro is an opportunist so having him turn on Nohr won't be hard. Maybe Kotaro fears Garon will betray him and tries to kidnap a Nohrian royal as leverage, maybe Kotaro makes a secret deal with Hoshido to switch sides again or perhaps Garon hired him to assassinate Corrin and Azura after suspecting their plotting. Surely anything would be better than Corrin weirdly being upset over the concept of prisoners of war and Kotaro being equally weird about a single prisoner. 

If Desmond hadn't been so hellbent on killing Zephiel, FE6 would've been a very different game indeed.  But let's go to the past.

Etruria would've most likely been on better terms with Bern if Desmond/Hellene had been on better terms.  Gaining access wouldn't have required a bunch of sneaking around in the worst disguises ever - Pent could've most likely vouched for them.  Then, the rather silly conversations between Zephiel and Hector/Eliwood wouldn't have existed. . .I mean, "I'll just trust you despite not saying who you are" isn't FE7's strongest writing moment.  But all this leads up to one of the biggest head-scratchers of all.  Rather than outright tell the queen that Zephiel nearly died a chapter ago. . .Eliwood cuts Lyn off and leaves.

So there's two questionable decisions thanks to Desmond being a jerk.  Thanks Desmond.

Edited by eclipse

47 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Why does Greil face the BK again? I'm confused

I don't think its ever stated directly but I assume it was to get BK off everyone's back. Accepting a dual avoids the situation of BK just marching up to the Greil mercenaries and slaughtering them until Greil shows up. 

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

If Desmond hadn't been so hellbent on killing Zephiel, FE6 would've been a very different game indeed.  But let's go to the past.

Etruria would've most likely been on better terms with Bern if Desmond/Hellene had been on better terms.  Gaining access wouldn't have required a bunch of sneaking around in the worst disguises ever - Pent could've most likely vouched for them.  Then, the rather silly conversations between Zephiel and Hector/Eliwood wouldn't have existed. . .I mean, "I'll just trust you despite not saying who you are" isn't FE7's strongest writing moment.  But all this leads up to one of the biggest head-scratchers of all.  Rather than outright tell the queen that Zephiel nearly died a chapter ago. . .Eliwood cuts Lyn off and leaves.

So there's two questionable decisions thanks to Desmond being a jerk.  Thanks Desmond.

Seriously speaking SO MANY things wrong abouT Zephiel in general comes from Desmond being that much of a dick. I mentioned it before, but while im ok with Zephiel character in general, his entrie character crux relies on we accepting that Desmond is the absolute worst piece of human scum ever and it makes it simultanously hard to believe Zephiel

8 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

But isn't half the point here that they literally don't live happily ever after? Just saying.

The dumbest decision I can think of.. how about not anticipating the enemy to have hidden back up when Robin made his play to save Emmeryn? I know damn well if I was having an open "firing squad", on a target, I'd have a concealed one as well.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't think its ever stated directly but I assume it was to get BK off everyone's back. Accepting a dual avoids the situation of BK just marching up to the Greil mercenaries and slaughtering them until Greil shows up. 

Hmm. It kinda makes sense, but it feels like too much of a gamble

Anyways, whoever made the decision for Ike to be the new leader is kind of a moron. Ike didn't have much experience as well as Titania being more suited for the job.

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

Yeah you're totally right. Pent's lack of action really made me wonder why, if he was so important, he couldn't just vouch for a bunch of soldiers?

1 hour ago, silveraura25 said:

Hmm. It kinda makes sense, but it feels like too much of a gamble

Anyways, whoever made the decision for Ike to be the new leader is kind of a moron. Ike didn't have much experience as well as Titania being more suited for the job.

Well, the decision to make Ike leader was Greil himself wasn't it? "I leave them to you" or something akin to that regard.

8 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Eirika. Sacred Stone of Renais. Lyon. Need I say more? Oh, and let's not forget the part where L'arachel told her it was not going to work at the start of that same chapter.

I've actually come to think this as Eirika's desperation. In Sacred Stones (now take what I say with a grain of salt and correct me at will). I do believe, that if Eirika is left unmarried, there's hints that, she in a way began to feel for Lyon. More than likely due to the shock of losing someone so close to her in such a fashion. The desperation itself led her to act and search for anyway to save him, even if it cost her everything (handing the damned stone over). I still dislike her actions, but I actually find it bearable knowing that it wasn't her just handing it over cause why not.

11 minutes ago, ArgentSable said:

Well, the decision to make Ike leader was Greil himself wasn't it? "I leave them to you" or something akin to that regard.

I'm starting to feel like Greil likes gambling based on the criticism I give him

1 hour ago, Jingle Bells said:

For me it's Pellas and the blood contract. He should have know something was fishy with the signing of it. Him possibility dying for nothing makes it even worse.

From what I understand Pelleas was a pawn chosen by Izuka. If anything, it was all according to keikaku

14 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

From what I understand Pelleas was a pawn chosen by Izuka. If anything, it was all according to keikaku

Translator's Note: keikaku means plan

For me I think the dumbest choice is Flora killing herself. Like what was the point of it? It would make more sense if it was Iago who killed her after her failure but like it stead of killing herself to repent she could just I dunno, join your cause???? It still confuses to this day.

1 hour ago, silveraura25 said:

I'm starting to feel like Greil likes gambling based on the criticism I give him

Yeah. I understand that Greil saw the same potential as Zelgius in Ike, and Ike did need that push to become what he needed to be. But it was still one hell of a gamble to make your son head of a mercenary group simply to push him to be better.

5 hours ago, ArgentSable said:

Yeah you're totally right. Pent's lack of action really made me wonder why, if he was so important, he couldn't just vouch for a bunch of soldiers?

Holy triple post.  Use the plus sign next to Quote if you want to respond to multiple people.

12 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

Literally fucking anything Corrin does at any stage of her life.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh.  Her and like half the cast of Fates, tbh.  To shit on a game whose writing I actually enjoy and praise though:

Ike:  "...the fuck did he just say???"

Ranulf: "...Dude...its Skrimir's plan. Just role with it."

Ike:  "Bruhhhhhhh you can't do that. Begnion's gonna stomp your shit in." 

Ranulf:  "We have to do it. War-Leader said so.

Ike: "Laguz custom says whoever challenges the strongest and wins is War-Leader, right?"

Ranulf: "Ummmmmmmm. Yeah?"

Ike: "SKRIMIR! PROVE YOU ARE NO WEAKLING--I CHALLENGE YOU!"

Skrimir:  "FIGHT ME, FGT!"

Ike:  *gutter-stomps all over Skrimir*  "k u guyz. I'm War-Leader--*rawr*. We're doing this now:"

Soren Pro Strats 

>>>>Sets up base of operations in Grann Desert

>>>>>>>Rendevous with Laguz Liberation Army

>>>>>>>>>>>>Hit-and-run, Hit-and-run, Hit-and-run, hit-and-run

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Slave Revolts + Crop Burnings + Urban Riots across the Empire 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Begnion Central Army attempts to invade a giant fuck-off desert. Gets the Hitler trying to invade Soviet Russia treatment.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Legion's of beastmen rampage trough starving, rioting, defenseless Empire

...nope, nope, nope....

Image result for lion fail gif

They had to let that stupid douche march on the Ribarhn and challenge Zelgius to fisticuffs

Edited by Shoblongoo

29 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Holy triple post.  Use the plus sign next to Quote if you want to respond to multiple people.

Yep, I noticed that pretty quickly but was still very much not awake and just forgot to do so. Sadly I don't think I can edit the posts' (by that I mean that I can't neccesarily edit all the three of them into a single one so, I'll remember for next time.

Edited by ArgentSable