Dumb Choices.

ArgentSable

@Shoblongoo Got to admit Soren did have a decent strategy there but Skrimir ruined it. And lol that gif.

Edit- I realize now you were saying Soren's strategy shouldve been used and they didn't. It's been too long since I played RD.

Edited by Dragoncat

7 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

For me it's Pellas and the blood contract. He should have know something was fishy with the signing of it. Him possibility dying for nothing makes it even worse.

Ditto. Pelleas is a runner-up for me. Even taking into account that we're playing as the enemy nation, it's too damn obvious that Izuka is a rotten apple. How in the name of Ashunera he thought Izuka was worth trusting, I will never be able to figure out. Especially after Sothe and Tormod tell him of the atrocities he was responsible for in the Mad King's War.

37 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Still that doesn't excuse him for his idiocy.

No it doesn't. Just saying Pelleas was a idiot puppet to be manipulated. Him being foolish was what was sought out by Begnion or whoever the heck was the mastermind

57 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

Celica sacrificing herself to Duma.

I second this.

Jedah and the Duma Faithful comes across as such irredeemably evil people who constantly threaten that they will murder her friends that Celica should've had no reason to trust him and his followers. He even states that he wants to "usher in an age of chaos and destruction" with Duma's resurrection.

Then there's also the fact that her half-brother Conrad went as far as killing that one Duma priest who tried to win Celica over, slapping her in the face, finally revealing his identity to her, and stating that he felt like a "dagger went right through [his] heart" went he heard her say that no one cares about her. Perhaps if Celica actually listened to Conrad, Conrad could've truly mattered in the plot, but alas, Celica still deciding to go along with Jedah's plan threw Conrad's most defining moment out the window.

6 hours ago, ΔZZ said:

For me I think the dumbest choice is Flora killing herself. Like what was the point of it? It would make more sense if it was Iago who killed her after her failure but like it stead of killing herself to repent she could just I dunno, join your cause???? It still confuses to this day.

I think Flora killed herself because she felt so guilty over having to turn against Corrin that she couldn't forgive herself and felt like she didn't deserve to live to, and if the whole thing about Garon and his forces crushing the Ice Tribe's rebellion in Birthright akin to what happened to Cheve in Conquest is true (at least, from an essay I read a long while back on the Fire Emblem  Reddit that tried to justify Flora's actions, pointing to what some of the Ice Tribe villagers state when you visit them as one evidence), then I can somewhat see how seeing most of her own people getting brutally murdered for trying to rebel and having to turn on Corrin would get to her.

What we got in the final product left a lot to be desired though, and I feel this scene could've truly been sad if we were shown that entire scene of what really happened between Garon, Iago (yeah, I'm willing bet to he played a big part in this considering how much of a manipulator he is), Kilma (something tells me he dies in Birthright offscreen as part of that whole ordeal, but the game never really explains it), and Flora.

18 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I always think the fight against Kotaro in Conquest is extremely dumb. 

Kotaro captures Kagero and for some reason Corrin is shocked and appalled that one of his enemies could be captured by his allies in wartime. Xander weirdly enough backs him up on this but Kotaro acts the strangest of them all. Rather than just release one captive Kotaro thinks the best reaction to Corrin's outrage is to just kill off the entire Nohrian royal family. It really feels like the alliance with Mokushu falls apart and everyone turns on each other for absolutely no reason at all. 

And its not like there couldn't have been better reasons. Kotaro is an opportunist so having him turn on Nohr won't be hard. Maybe Kotaro fears Garon will betray him and tries to kidnap a Nohrian royal as leverage, maybe Kotaro makes a secret deal with Hoshido to switch sides again or perhaps Garon hired him to assassinate Corrin and Azura after suspecting their plotting. Surely anything would be better than Corrin weirdly being upset over the concept of prisoners of war and Kotaro being equally weird about a single prisoner. 

Conquest has everyone acting dumb and unreasonable. Iago and Hans just try to murder all of the royal siblings right outside the throne room on an incredibly weak pretense. What exactly were they thinking would happen? Even if they won the battle they would have to explain to Garon that they murdered all of his kids.

Worse than the Kotaro situation, however, is their reaction to Zola. He was able to capture all of the Hoshidan royals with minimal bloodshed and using them as hostages would be an enormous bargaining chip in ending the war sooner. This is everything Corrin could possibly ask for, delivered to him on a silver platter but he and Xander reject it on the grounds of it not being 'honorable'. This is the point in the story where their vanity is more important than the lives of the Hoshidans AND the Nohrian soldiers loyally fighting for their country.

And there are actually ways the writing could have justified a fight here. Say Zola wanted to kill the Hoshidans to please Garon but Corrin and friends wanted to use them as hostages for a more peaceful resolution to the war. When they pull rank on Zola, Zola thinks they're just trying to steal his prize that he worked so hard for and they fight. Rather than releasing the Hoshidan royals, they escape in the chaos of the battle. 

6 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Conquest has everyone acting dumb and unreasonable. Iago and Hans just try to murder all of the royal siblings right outside the throne room on an incredibly weak pretense. What exactly were they thinking would happen? Even if they won the battle they would have to explain to Garon that they murdered all of his kids.

Worse than the Kotaro situation, however, is their reaction to Zola. He was able to capture all of the Hoshidan royals with minimal bloodshed and using them as hostages would be an enormous bargaining chip in ending the war sooner. This is everything Corrin could possibly ask for, delivered to him on a silver platter but he and Xander reject it on the grounds of it not being 'honorable'. This is the point in the story where their vanity is more important than the lives of the Hoshidans AND the Nohrian soldiers loyally fighting for their country.

And there are actually ways the writing could have justified a fight here. Say Zola wanted to kill the Hoshidans to please Garon but Corrin and friends wanted to use them as hostages for a more peaceful resolution to the war. When they pull rank on Zola, Zola thinks they're just trying to steal his prize that he worked so hard for and they fight. Rather than releasing the Hoshidan royals, they escape in the chaos of the battle. 

I think the Zola situation is a little different. You could argue that overthrowing a neutral nation and arresting the siblings on neutral ground and under treasonous circumstances really is a warcrime. If Nohr goes around doing that and proves its success then why wouldn't Fuga or the Ice chief just throw the Nohrian royals in the dungeon when they are visiting or start overthrowing their neighbors to capture Nohrians when they visit. It sets a bad precedent that the royals might want to avoid and its kind of a scummy move

20 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think the Zola situation is a little different. You could argue that overthrowing a neutral nation and arresting the siblings on neutral ground and under treasonous circumstances really is a warcrime. If Nohr goes around doing that and proves its success then why wouldn't Fuga or the Ice chief just throw the Nohrian royals in the dungeon when they are visiting or start overthrowing their neighbors to capture Nohrians when they visit. It sets a bad precedent that the royals might want to avoid and its kind of a scummy move

Xander does protest Zola's actions on the grounds that it was a neutral nation but the whole thing rings hollow for several reasons.

There are no factions that rival Nohr in military might. They invaded the second largest faction basically on a whim and they rule their own territories with an iron fist. Nothing suggests that they have a reason for diplomacy. They don't have other factions that can check their power. We haven't seen them rely on any rival powers for trade. What happened the last time a neutral nation allegedly attacked Nohrian royalty? Garon was able to massacre their citizens with impunity. 

Scummy it may be but it's definitely something Garon would have done, which makes it treasonous for Xander instead of Zola. Even if we were to consider the action illegal and dishonorable, the story wants us to believe that Corrin cares more about those things than he does ending the war sooner and saving the Hoshidan royals.