Jump to content
YoungLionofAlistel

If You Had Complete Creative Control Over the Development of an FE Game, What Would You Do?

Recommended Posts

There would be things I would like to implement, but nothing too grand. I'll talk about the topics I am thinking about and whether it should be altered, enhanced, or removed. 

Fanservice: Change this a lot. I realize that even if I may have control, there will always be cases where I cannot stop it from happening. So rather than eliminate it, have characters that have fanservice have it worn within reason and not be so in your face about it as Fates had been. The outfits should also not be ridiculous like many outfits in Fates had been, and be something that works in the context of fighting battles. Have it make sense, both for the situation and the character. So at the very least, we won't have lolis wearing underwear into battle anymore. That goes. 

Avatars: I think we have had enough Avatars for now. It was okay with FE7, some mixed feelings, more particularly hatred for it in FE12, I thought it was great in Awakening, but it failed a lot in Fates. And we have another in Three Houses coming up, so I would prefer if a game under my design would not have an Avatar in there 

Characters: I would want the characters to be involved in the story more. I would like characters to be developed more in the story itself than strictly in support conversations. If they feel more involved there, it feels like they are part of the story and become more memorable to players. I might even construct scenarios where similar situations like with Kaze happen, but within proper warning where if they do not get something done in a situation, a character might die or leave forever. Characters that feel more involved in the story and have personal stakes make the characters be more heartfelt. 

Pairings/Supports: I am going to take a combination of Awakening/Fates with the GBA/GC era. In that, I want there to be support conversations that are NOT restricted to 5 support max like the old era but be like the GBA/GC era where there is generally a higher quality in the conversation itself, and more limited, so I would have characters be specifically chosen that would feel that their personalities would get the best type of conversation. We can have S/A+ supports, but that is in regards to whom you want the paired ending to be with and is no longer limited to just guy and girl. In FE7, Lyn can stick with Florina or Lucius with Raven, etc, but we seemed to no longer do that and I feel that is a damn shame. But we won't have the last support be like marriage or anything. If they can be romantic, or friendly, or so on. 

I would also like to integrate the pairing/support into the story. This was done in FE7, where if you have Eliwood paired with Ninian, there is a case where dialogue and things that change and altered, along with endings as well. So I would like this to happen more often as well. This would definitely be tough, but trying to integrate story into gameplay would be something I would always enjoy to try out.

Plot: Now, generally I might be of the opinion of removing dragons and whatnot, and I could, but depending on how things go, it can still happen. So instead, what I would work on is that any godly force that is in the story would have more established powers and abilities. No longer would there be asspulls and such that just makes characters OP for the sake of feeling OP like they do with enemies like Ashera and such. I might even make it that the "god" exists, but doesn't play a role and the enemy is a human that uses the power of the god. I would like both sides to feel like they are right in what they are trying to do, and both have their good and bad sides. Where the heroes are trying to help, but they can be viewed in contempt by both the enemy nation and their own home nation, which is also done in the opposite side as well. I would also like the foreshadowing to be done in a well-paced manner, where you can expect something to happen. Having conversations in scenarios with your own characters can help with the story as well, as it allows us to view perspectives, so being able to have the enemy's perspective to be seen would be great. Ultimately, I don't think there should be an ultimate evil or those that are irredeemable like many antagonists are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

Plot: Now, generally I might be of the opinion of removing dragons and whatnot, and I could, but depending on how things go, it can still happen. So instead, what I would work on is that any godly force that is in the story would have more established powers and abilities. No longer would there be asspulls and such that just makes characters OP for the sake of feeling OP like they do with enemies like Ashera and such. I might even make it that the "god" exists, but doesn't play a role and the enemy is a human that uses the power of the god. I would like both sides to feel like they are right in what they are trying to do, and both have their good and bad sides. Where the heroes are trying to help, but they can be viewed in contempt by both the enemy nation and their own home nation, which is also done in the opposite side as well. I would also like the foreshadowing to be done in a well-paced manner, where you can expect something to happen. Having conversations in scenarios with your own characters can help with the story as well, as it allows us to view perspectives, so being able to have the enemy's perspective to be seen would be great. Ultimately, I don't think there should be an ultimate evil or those that are irredeemable like many antagonists are. 

When it comes to the story, I've envisioned an FE without any dragons or gods. I'd probably have certain characters believe in a higher power, yet whether or not these deities exist is never confirmed. Instead I'd rather have just plain ol' feudal warfare. While, I would want the story to have an outside perspective, I wouldn't want the story to be about a noble trying to reunite everyone. That would be too predictable. The specific details I have in mind for this type of story change every now and again, but it's a start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tellius: 2,500 Years in the Future 

-Kurthnaga is still alive because dragon lifespans. He looks about as old now as his father did in PoR and RD.
-Soren is still alive, because half-dragon. At this point he's basically Athos--this ancient and immensely powerful old man from an age of legend, living as a hermit out in the middle-of-nowhere + aware of most events on the continent.

 Everyone else from PoR and RD is long dead. There has been no confirmed sightings of the Goddess or her involvement in mortal affairs since those days, although a few unverified accounts of persons witnessing her "miracles" surface from time-to-time. The influence of the Church was waned. Knowledge that the Goddess was ever even a real being who took real actions has faded into antiquity. In fact: most of the events of PoR and RD are now widely regarded as mythology and primitive superstition, believed to be true by only the most fervently religious individuals who insist upon the literal truth of the "scriptures" in which the events were recorded. Modern scholars dispute the accuracy and authenticity of these tomes, and debate if "Ike" was even a real person.

None of the old nations remain. The ruins of Sienne and Navessa are being excavated as archaeological digsites, where relic hunters curiously search for such legendary artifacts as "Petrine's Breastplate" and "Micaiah's Shroud."  

Life on Tellius has secularized and reached a steampunk level of social/political/technological development.  

Laguz/Beorc society has largely integrated, and "branded" (although hybrids are no longer regarded as such) are now common. With more mingling of beorc/laguz bloodlines and more diverse hybrid traits being passed on an evolutionary leap has occured: some hybrid children born of half-beorc blood now retain their laguz ability to transform.

You--the Avatar/MC--are one such hybrid.

The custom avatar may be any combination of one laguz transformation + one beorc weapon class  (i.e. an archer that transforms into a Hawk. An axe fighter that transforms into a tiger. A lancer that transforms into a red dragon)

The New Game follows the rise of one of the old continents that Ashera sunk in the Great Flood--800 years before the events of PoR/RD--in a Call of Cthulu like "R'lyeh Rises!" scene of nightmare-horrors and eldritch abominations spilling forth from darkest depths. Heralding the Arrival of some Unspeakable Thing That Should Not Be--a horrific, monstrously alien, Lovecraftian "Outer God" or some such nonsense.   

To defeat this menace, the Avatar + the accompanying cast of recruitable characters must learn the true history of Tellius. Discover that the myths and legends are real. Come to terms with the fact that everything they know is wrong + that their modern, "enlightened" world is built upon a fundamental ignorance of where it came from.

And of course, along the way, grow as fighters and forge bonds of comradery and fall in love and all that jazz. 

Key (adult) themes to be explored in the new story include belief vs. knowledge, antiquity vs. modernity, loss vs. preservation of knowledge across the ages, and the role of propaganda/misinformation/suppression of facts in shaping historical accounts. 


Fire Emblem: Black Tomorrow 

Key Gameplay Features / Mechanics 

 

Image result for shoggoth

Image result for nightgaunt

^^^

  • "Monster/Terror" class enemies--i.e. Scared Stones, Gaiden, Echoes--inspired by the nightmare creatures of the Cthulu Mythos. Shuggoths, Gaunts, Elder Things, Dark Young, etc. 
  • Gaiden's/Echoes ability to buff characters with equipable items like rings shields will return. Character's will have multiple slots for equipping items (i.e. a helm slot, a ring slot, an amulet slot, a main-body slot etc.) Certain items will be restricted by class. (Only a mage may equip a robe in the main-body slot. Only knights may equip super-heavy armor)
  • Gaiden/Echoes dungeon crawls are back
  • Collecting loot from dungeons + making sure your party is decked out in appropriate levels of gear for the point in the game you're at with the main campaign will be necessary, to avoid getting absolutely curb-stomped by the enemies in the main campaign. Base stats and growths still matter, but gear will have MUCH higher impact on your party's battlefield performance than it did in Echoes and Gaidens. To the point that base-stats and growths alone will never be able to carry you to the endgame, if your party is under-geared.   
  • Blessed War-Gear of PoR/RD characters (i.e. Helm of the Black Knight. Skrimir's Beaststone. Tormod's Boots of Celerity) will be available as dungeon loot and equipable items 
  • Overland map from Sacred Stones / Awakening / Gaiden / Echoes will be making a return
Edited by Shoblongoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aw, hell yeah!

Fire Emblem: Web of Evil

Plot: An ancient evil as the Rachein, led by the wicked spider queen Quintessa, has flooded all across the country of Berynst. Now, the emperor of Berynst, Ignis, must unite the war-torn country in an effort to save it from the Rachein and their malevolent leader.

Gameplay: Mostly the same in most chapters, but some chapters feature tower-defense like gamemplay. You must sort out unit placements in advance (preferably as close to enemy spawn placements as possible) and protect a fortress from a certain amount of waves of enemies, be it Rachein or thugs or enemy soldiers. If an enemy unit does so much as inch into the fortress, it’s game over.

Main Hero: Ignis (age 56), the benevolent emperor of Berynst, a vastly populated and independent country far north off the coast of Archanea. Ignis is a skilled wielder of magic as well as his personal lance, Mondlanze. After having won a brutal war across the country that happened 2 years ago, Ignis must take his army into battle again when the Rachein return and spread destruction across the country.

Rachein: Demon spiders from the Berynst of long past. They come in two variations: the Bael, who are purely spiders and come in many different shapes and sizes; and the Spindel, who carry a human half and wield many different weapons. The Bael are mindless beasts that know only killing as instinct, whereas the Spindel are intelligent beings who can think and plan just like humans. They can even control the Bael and coordinate their attacks.

Quintessa: The most powerful Rachein and the leader of the species. Alongside her cunning advisor Drayc* (age 23), a former Berynstian priest turned traitor, Quintessa is an unforgiving tyrant who intends the destruction of all who oppose her. However, there is a motivation behind this having to do with her past…but what is it?

 

Spoiler

*(Drayc is the Gharnef archetype for Web of Evil. As you find out mid-to-late game, Drayc is actually Ignis’s long lost son who went missing two years prior to the game’s events.)

 

Edited by Jingilator
KAw. How didn’t I notice this HOURS AGO?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically this:

I've been working on it in SRPG Studio since this September and I think I've been making very good progress on it.

Some highlights:

  • Two Lord characters, a male Lord (or rather, Prince) with Swords and a female Lord with Axes
  • Fanservicey character designs are limited to female Fighters generally avoided
  • Single RNG (because I don't like being lied to about my hit rates)
  • Weapon Triangle grants ±15 Accuracy, while Trinity of Magic grants ±15 Accuracy and ±2 Attack
  • All Bows are 2-3-Range
  • Daggers work similarly to how they work in Fates in that they can inflict debuffs (though these debuffs are treated as an Ailment that can be cured with a Restore staff)
  • Bonus EXP like in Radiant Dawn, except it gives 4 guaranteed points per Level Up instead of 3
  • Supports (C-S Rank), but no Child Units, so don't worry about pairing everyone off
    • In addition, characters can only have up to 5 active Support partners at a time (though they can reach max Support Rank with all of them) and never have more than 8 possible Support partners in total
  • Class-based Rescue system (Bld is still a thing, but is only used internally for the Rescue system)
  • AS = Spd - Wt (you need 5 more AS than your opponent for follow-up attacks)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

-Kurthnaga is still alive because dragon lifespans. He looks about as old now as his father did in PoR and RD.

-Soren is still alive, because half-dragon. At this point he's basically Athos--this ancient and immensely powerful old man from an age of legend, living as a hermit out in the middle-of-nowhere + aware of most events on the continent.

3

You ARE aware that Dragon laguz aren't the same as manaketes, right? They don't live nearly as long as manaketes can. Dragon laguz I believe can only live up to 1000 years. So already your story fell because it's 2500 years later.

And Soren would have even LESS lifespan than that, so he would also be long dead.

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

 Everyone else from PoR and RD is long dead. There has been no confirmed sightings of the Goddess or her involvement in mortal affairs since those days, although a few unverified accounts of persons witnessing her "miracles" surface from time-to-time. The influence of the Church was waned. Knowledge that the Goddess was ever even a real being who took real actions has faded into antiquity. In fact: most of the events of PoR and RD are now widely regarded as mythology and primitive superstition, believed to be true by only the most fervently religious individuals who insist upon the literal truth of the "scriptures" in which the events were recorded. Modern scholars dispute the accuracy and authenticity of these tomes, and debate if "Ike" was even a real person.

5

Didn't RD's secret ending show that Ashunera revived after 1200 years following Radiant Dawn? 

I don't mean to shoot down your ideas, but if you are planning on using an existing world, you should use canon information that exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

You ARE aware that Dragon laguz aren't the same as manaketes, right? They don't live nearly as long as manaketes can. Dragon laguz I believe can only live up to 1000 years. So already your story fell because it's 2500 years later.

And Soren would have even LESS lifespan than that, so he would also be long dead.

Didn't RD's secret ending show that Ashunera revived after 1200 years following Radiant Dawn? 

I don't mean to shoot down your ideas, but if you are planning on using an existing world, you should use canon information that exists.

I don't think the game ever gave us a definitive limit on how long Dragon Laguz can live, unless I'm missing something. When did it say they only live up to 1,000 years???

Its been a while since I've looked at the lore, but only conversation I remember off the top of my head addressing details of Dragon Laguz lifespan is the one where Nasir tells Ike: once they're old enough to reach full maturity, dragon laguz completely stop showing any signs of additional aging (i.e. a pure-blooded dragon would look the same at 800 years old as 1,000 years old)  

_______

Concerning the secret ending of RD, I don't think the idea of Ashunera reviving 1,200 years after Radiant Dawn would necessarily be inconsistent with the idea of her backing off from any overt involvement in mortal affairs (thinking after the events of RD that mortals should be left alone, and not subject to divine meddling). Or that in centuries thereafter, her existence would fade into myth and legend. 

Idk...its not like this game is ever geting made...

Just an idea that I've had for a while now, and my dream for where I'd ideally want to see the series go next.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

I don't think the game ever gave us a definitive limit on how long Dragon Laguz can live, unless I'm missing something. When did it say they only live up to 1,000 years???

Its been a while since I've looked at the lore, but only conversation I remember off the top of my head addressing details of Dragon Laguz lifespan is the one where Nasir tells Ike: once they're old enough to reach full maturity, dragon laguz completely stop showing any signs of additional aging (i.e. a pure-blooded dragon would look the same at 800 years old as 1,000 years old)  
 

The older dragon laguz is Dheginsea, and he is said to only be over 800 years old, and he already shows his age. And looking around, I managed to find this:
QhZWs60.png

The only thing that lived longer than normal would be Sephiran, and this is presumably because of his blessing. 

So dragons are not like Manaketes that can live on indefinitely. Hell, thanks to SoV, there seems to be an implication that their nigh-eternal life is part of the reason for their degeneration. 

8 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Concerning the secret ending of RD, I don't think the idea of Ashunera reviving 1,200 years after Radiant Dawn would necessarily be inconsistent with the idea of her backing off from any further involvement in mortal affairs (thinking after the events of RD that mortals should be left alone, and not subject to divine meddling). Or that in centuries thereafter, her existence would fade into myth and legend. 

Could end up confirming that Ashunera really is Anna. XD

She decided to live among the humans by turning into a woman that sells goods and goes through dimensions to sell more stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

QhZWs60.png

 

Is that fan-made or is that from a source book???

I've been trying to find a definitive guide to Laguz lifespans forever, and I've never seen that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Is that fan-made or is that from a source book???

I've been trying to find a definitive guide to Laguz lifespans forever, and I've never seen that. 

Found it on reddit. Apparently, this is from the Tellius recollection artbook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now guys, let’s not turn this thread into a heated debate about lifespans (don’t want it to become this: https://forums.khinsider.com/kingdom-hearts-iii/216872-original-characters-disney-worlds.html)

(Or thishttps://forums.khinsider.com/kingdom-hearts-iii/216854-winnie-pooh-confirmed-kh3.html)

The whole point of this thread is creative control over an FE game’s development. If you have feedback for Black Tomorrow, that’s perfectly fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a title for my fancy cool Fire Emblem game, so I'm gonna give it the same name that inspired it.

Fire Emblem: Crusades

Inspiration: As the title says, the the setting is inspired by the Crusades. However, you won't be fighting on this world's version of the Catholics side (because that'd be lame, you don't want to be losing a lot now do ya?), instead you'll be fighting to repel these Catholics. You will be working from close to defeat all the way to invading the homeland of these extremely rude guys.

Gameplay

  1. The combat will be divided into two different sections, Skirmishes and Battles. Skirmishes are your regular old Fire Emblem maps, dude appear and you beat the heck out of them. Battles, however, require you to look over a map of the area you want to assault (or defend) and devise a strategy around what information you have!
  2. Airstrikes are now a thing. Why they haven't in the past games, is beyond me. They use mages upon wyverns and they can weaken enemy forces! If you use airstrikes, your mages and wyrvern riders will level up!
  3. no child units because we need a break from them for a bit.
  4. C-A progression of supports because I like it better.
  5. The avatar now doesn't play a major role. At all.
  6. The main character doesn't have a special Lord class now, they're a soldier.

Plot: No big dragon gods this time around Because that trope has been overused to death at this point but the people believe in gods, but the verdict's out on whether they exist or not. This, led to the war in which this game takes place in. The main character is Aurens, a tactician for the Goodgai Army (most names here are placeholders) and they must repel the invading Badgai army!

I'll add more once I remember more of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jingilator said:

Now guys, let’s not turn this thread into a heated debate about lifespans (don’t want it to become this: https://forums.khinsider.com/kingdom-hearts-iii/216872-original-characters-disney-worlds.html)

(Or thishttps://forums.khinsider.com/kingdom-hearts-iii/216854-winnie-pooh-confirmed-kh3.html)

The whole point of this thread is creative control over an FE game’s development. If you have feedback for Black Tomorrow, that’s perfectly fine.

Raising the age issue was helpful feedback and I'm taking it under consideration...he's fine...

 

26 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Found it on reddit. Apparently, this is from the Tellius recollection artbook.


Right. So assuming that's correct and accurate...3 possibilities...

1) Completely scrap the Soren and Kurthnaga are still alive idea (would have been cool to have them around as living witness to ancient history, but non-vital to the setting) 

2)  Keep at least one of them around, but attribute the longevity to something other than dragonblood (i.e. Soren is literally Tellius's Athos. His magic as an archsage is so ridiculous it multiplied his natual lifespan. Which according to the sourcebook, is already 3.33x times base-human)

3) Basically just go "fuck it--I have complete creative control over this project. Imma pull a ret-con." If that clashes with prior lore and makes it impossible for claims in the sourcebook to be true, I could even play that into the loss of knowledge + inaccurate recording of information over the ages theme of the game. Throw in a meta/easter egg scene where someone is actually reading from a tome that says Black Dragons only live to 1,020. Then Kurthnaga sees what hes reading and says: "Yeahhh. That's wrong. Whoever wrote that had absolutely no idea how long dragons live." 

#3 might be a bit too dickish, but the more I think about it the more that's something I'd probably want to do
 

 





 

Edited by Shoblongoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Right. So assuming that's correct and accurate...3 possibilities...

I can't help but feel it's a bit inconsistent with things are they actually are though, although I will not directly challenge it. Something from halfway into final development, but not a final, actualized thing. Maybe it's because Ena's 20+ year pregnancy seems excessively long using that lifespan indicator. 

Also, it is real, just head over to the Tellius boards and look at the Recollections that have been pinned there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I can't help but feel it's a bit inconsistent with things are they actually are though, although I will not directly challenge it. Something from halfway into final development, but not a final, actualized thing. Maybe it's because Ena's 20+ year pregnancy seems excessively long using that lifespan indicator. 

The claim that you can approximate a dragon's age just by looking at how old they appear to be in human years and then multiplying by the magnitude of increased lifespan also seems to completely contradict in-game lore.

Given that Nasir says adult dragon's eventually stop showing outward signs of aging.

We also know that Nasir is Ena's grandfather, and he barely appears to be any older than her. But according to the sourcebook:

Ena's Age = Human Appearance x (16.7)
Nasir's Age = Human Appearance x  (17.5)

...that can't be right...
____________

I'm looking at the language of that introduction section. And I notice the author isn't representing those age numbers as outside-the-setting statements being externally endorsed as canon. He specifically represents them as coming from "a certain Begnion noble's research."

Which suggests to me that the information is being represented as character-fallible.

And without contradicting anything in that passage, a future game could set forth completely different age parameters for the laguz and the branded + say something to the effect of:  "due to the colossal ignorance about the Laguz that historically permeated Begnion, and due to the fact that most of the prior scholarship on this subject came from Begnionese nobility, this was long believed not to be the case."

... taking new lore in a different direction and keeping the old lore intact, without the need for a messy ret-con...

Just a thought.       

Edited by Shoblongoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fire Emblem Demons Calling

 

Plot: You are a hero of prophecy who slays a dark demon lord, thereby earning the respect and love of the alliance of light's member states forever. As preordained by the local not naga like dragon not god, you are crowned the first emperor of the holy kingdom of light, and your kingdom is destined to last an eternity.

except, that is not you, that is the hero of prophecy.

you are a son/daughter of the demon lord, forced to live a life of drudgery in a golden cage hanging from the ramparts of what used to be your home. The former territories of the demon lord are now under the management of an extremely cruel human centrist church who see your kind as nothing but horrible monsters fit only for enslavement or worse, extermination. However, a dark whisper has been intruding on your mind during your brief hours of rest. A whisper that promises you power and revenge, if you simply say four little words; I Will Serve You.

You are a demon looking for revenge against those who wronged you, you are a servant of the dark dragon Mephias, you are the hero of this story but the villain of another.

 

 Gameplay: one thing i was honestly super disappointed in Fates about, was its lack of branching narrative choices. Its tagline and main promise was a blatant lie, and you essentially just had to chose between three different short and equally disappointing games. as such one of the things i would have be mission critical would be branching narrative choices that actually matter sprinkled throughout the game itself. For instance, near the beginning of the game alot of the choices one would receive would be about whether you wanted to focus on reviving the dark dragon, or on getting your revenge against the hero of prophecy. these choices would take you along mission paths that would work towards these goals but also open up other options here and there as the story evolved and things became more complicated. Depending on your choices you could end up at a completely different final chapter then someone else.

for instance, say at the beginning of the game you decide to focus on revenge against the hero of prophecy. the initial few chapters would be dedicated to this goal, but then a new set of choices would arrive, one that would continue on the revenge path, another that would move you towards the dark dragon revival path, others that could take you down routes that develop from the stories conflict, stuff like that.

the player would be an avatar character, the aforementioned captured demon prince(ss). The demon clan itself would have a wild variety of sub races among them and well the different races would be primarily cosmetic from a gameplay stance, in the story they would effect how other characters perceive you.

maps would be primarily designed around the idea of altering terrain, cause i really like that idea as a concept, and id like to see that pushed as far as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shoblongoo it is way easier to retcon an artbook than actual ingame lore, I understand original intent is a thing, but if you don't even bother to explain these things in a way that would be easily accessible you are not establishing them in a solid enough way to allow them to exist on their own, one info conversation between any curious character and a laguz would be enough to solidify this as canon.

as for the topic, I too have had my ideas on an SRPG, but I would like to say that it is not fire emblem, it includes dragons, shifters, and character interactions, but that is about where the thematic similarities end, the world is far from what fire emblem usually uses, the characters I am trying to make thematically interesting, and the tone I hope to find a nice middle ground, not so lighthearted that it can't be taken seriously, but not so dark that it can't be enjoyable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

-Soren is still alive, because half-dragon. At this point he's basically Athos--this ancient and immensely powerful old man from an age of legend, living as a hermit out in the middle-of-nowhere + aware of most events on the continent.

Question, would Soren want to outlive Ike by so many years? Unless he found a shrink along the way he doesn't seem the type to be down for that. 

Quote

The claim that you can approximate a dragon's age just by looking at how old they appear to be in human years and then multiplying by the magnitude of increased lifespan also seems to completely contradict in-game lore.

Given that Nasir says adult dragon's eventually stop showing outward signs of aging.

We also know that Nasir is Ena's grandfather, and he barely appears to be any older than her. But according to the sourcebook:

Ena's Age = Human Appearance x (16.7)
Nasir's Age = Human Appearance x  (17.5)

...that can't be right...

I really like the source book but it can be a bit wonky with Laguz ages. They say Mordecai is supposed to resemble someone in his 20's....but he has gray hairs and a beard!

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jotari said:

A three tiered branching class tree.

(been a while since I've plugged that)

Goodness gracious, I remember that monstrosity. Fun look.

***

So, if you're going to make a game with a large emphasis on story, you should have some point to that story, a good and useful moral message to convey.

As the core gameplay of Fire Emblem is about armies fighting each other, I think the series would lend itself well to a story about why wars are sometimes just and sometimes necessary.

To convey this idea, I would probably refrain from having a totally grey conflict, which seems like the more popular choice. This narrative idea works better if there is some force which very clearly is wrong and needs to be stopped. The antagonists should not be unsympathetic or inhuman, doing so would weaken the moral by divorcing the story from a real context where it might be applied. However, it should be a case where one side is very clearly wrong in their actions, no matter how well meaning or misguided they are.

I'm not entirely opposed to having dragons and spirits and other supernatural forces, and in fact think they might be able to benefit the narrative if it was used to implement a religious message, which I might desire to do, being a Christian. However, I am very uncomfortable with fallible mortals attempting to write actions for a perfect God, so I would want to express those ideas through some other means which would be less over my head. Perhaps some platonic concept of a goodness and justice more fundamental than material existence.

***

Around 27 chapters seems to be the ideal amount, I think. 25 is a bit too short, 30 a bit too long.

I'd like to have skills like Swap and Shove available in some more prominent context, because I think they're great for correcting small positioning mistakes or moving just a little bit farther.

The turnwheel would be something I'd like to see return, but whether other design elements from Gaiden return is up for debate. It would really depend on what plans there are for the rest of the series. If no more Gaiden-style games are in the cards, I'd like to try and build on that foundation. It's something which deserves to be revisited at least once more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

So, if you're going to make a game with a large emphasis on story, you should have some point to that story, a good and useful moral message to convey.

As the core gameplay of Fire Emblem is about armies fighting each other, I think the series would lend itself well to a story about why wars are sometimes just and sometimes necessary.

To convey this idea, I would probably refrain from having a totally grey conflict, which seems like the more popular choice. This narrative idea works better if there is some force which very clearly is wrong and needs to be stopped. The antagonists should not be unsympathetic or inhuman, doing so would weaken the moral by divorcing the story from a real context where it might be applied. However, it should be a case where one side is very clearly wrong in their actions, no matter how well meaning or misguided they are.

those elements are in almost every fire emblem story honestly, once ya boil down their essential elements. granted, they arent universal but pick any fe and you can find probably two of those elements in its story. its why so many lords in fe's history tend to dislike war to some degree or fashion, as their character growth is often centered around growing up and buckling down despite their personal misgivings.

this all isnt a bad thing mind, i just feel that i need to point out that its kinda how the series role which is why it lends itself so well to it.

8 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I'm not entirely opposed to having dragons and spirits and other supernatural forces, and in fact think they might be able to benefit the narrative if it was used to implement a religious message, which I might desire to do, being a Christian. However, I am very uncomfortable with fallible mortals attempting to write actions for a perfect God, so I would want to express those ideas through some other means which would be less over my head. Perhaps some platonic concept of a goodness and justice more fundamental than material existence.

idk how ya feel about her, but ive always felt ashera was interesting from a story telling perspective in terms of religious commentary. not expertly handled or anything, but better then i would expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NobodiePichu said:

this all isnt a bad thing mind, i just feel that i need to point out that its kinda how the series role which is why it lends itself so well to it.

 

To an extent I'd agree, but I wouldn't say Fire Emblem usually takes a lot of time out to address the question. It's present there in some form, but I wouldn't say it's ever been the thesis of the plot or explored super well. Like you said though, the set up is already in the foundations, but I think something useful could be done if the game's plot set out to examine and justify that idea.

19 hours ago, NobodiePichu said:

idk how ya feel about her, but ive always felt ashera was interesting from a story telling perspective in terms of religious commentary. not expertly handled or anything, but better then i would expect.

It's been a bit since I've played FE10, but I recall not being a big fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

To an extent I'd agree, but I wouldn't say Fire Emblem usually takes a lot of time out to address the question. It's present there in some form, but I wouldn't say it's ever been the thesis of the plot or explored super well. Like you said though, the set up is already in the foundations, but I think something useful could be done if the game's plot set out to examine and justify that idea.

they often do address the idea though is more my point, its never been the sole focus but its always been a concern to some extent or another. the geanology series especially i think addresses this to an extent. still though, i get your point on that one now in that it never has been the primary focus.

6 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

It's been a bit since I've played FE10, but I recall not being a big fan.

fair enough, my thoughts on god and religion tend to be fairly cynical anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...