How well educated are the future kids?

Ottservia

So I was in the middle of writing my awakening fanfic when this sort of question popped into my head. I mean we know most of them have basic reading, writing, and I assume arithmetic skills. Though this does beg the question of how long their education was in the first place. I mean if we go by the timeline Chrom must've died when Lucina was roughly 11 years old at max and that's when everything went to shit. No time to study math gotta save the world homework can wait. Also can yarne read/write? I don't think so but I dunno if taguel value that sort of thing. Then there's Nah which considering her situation I'm surprised she can read at all. Cause if her foster parents were as bad as she says then I doubt they would care about giving her an education. Maybe she's self taught? Then again what's the education system in Ylisse like anyway? Ugh so many questions!

Depends on if they were able to have "calm" moments and if some like Laurent took to studying in the past.  Also would depend on how long certain 1st gen characters survived, specifically more studious ones like Miriel or Tharja.  And the kind of education would vary from parent to parent.

All things considered, Lucina, Laurent, Severa, Brady, and Noire are probably the most educated.  Lucina because obviously a royal would receive lots of tutoring (and she carries herself like a person of polite nobility), Brady and Laurent for even more obvious reasons, Severa would probably have knowledge more along the lines of military tutoring but that's still a lot in an apocalypse, and Noire as a sort of lab partner for her mother.  Morgan also seems to be well-studied, though I'm not sure he/she counts because they're not from the timeline everyone else is from.

The other full-blooded humans would have some degree of military training, but not be studied in the less physical aspects of soldier work like Severa would.  Maybe Gerome, but he doesn't strike me as a man who is particularly studied aside from his ability to mount an unwieldy beast.  Morgan would be educated, but not sure they count since they didn't come from the same apocalyptic timeline the rest did. And Owain would have education, but I have to figure his was more... "cultural" than it was practical.  Yarne and Nah would have as much education as some hillbillies in a swamp.

7 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Yarne and Nah would have as much education as some hillbillies in a swamp.

I suppose but Nah is shown to able to know how to read at least fairly competently if her mother support is anything to go by. The support starts off with her reading a book on manaketes and dragonstones to which Nowi laments it's not a picture book. I dunno if that's a plot hole or something but ehh.

Edited by Otts486

1 minute ago, Otts486 said:

I suppose but Nah is shown to able to know how to read at least fairly competently if her mother support is anything to go by. The support starts off with her reading a book on manaketes and dragonstones to which Nowi laments it's not a picture book. I dunno if that's a plot hole or something but ehh.

Probably did some studying on her own, I'd say.  That, or her comrades from her own generation helped her some before they all jumped into the magical time hole back to Chrom's breathing days.  Or maybe Tiki might've helped her, though I don't recall Tiki ever receiving an education of any kind except that she apparently at least vaguely knows what math is.

xWF0LZG.png

Of the children not already covered by our 'Boro lover, I would say Inigo is probably fairly educated - devoting your life to holding girls' attentions enough to try for multiple dates pretty much requires that you have some sort of background of information with which to hold up conversations for long enough to seem worth another cup of tea or night in bed as the situation may require. Cynthia would most likely be a slightly-less-knowledgeable Owain, considering how into reading Sumia is, with a solid base of study that was unfortunately a bit more cultural than practical. Kjelle is probably the most educated militarily after Severa, possibly even tied, considering the two seem closer than other pairs from the beginning in their Supports, though this could just be Kjelle not giving a crap about other girls seeing her washboard abs. Severa would come out on top outside of battle due to her constant struggle to find something to excel at that her mother hadn't already done perfectly, though. Gerome is a bit of a puzzle, but I think his need to completely cut off Past Cherche stems from being very close to her in the future, and she is a fairly educated person, so I'd say he's probably got an alright if not solid start.

We know Lissa is still alive in the future so she could have taken care of the children's education or at least the one of Lucina since she'd be likely to raise her after Chrom dies. Whether Lissa being in charge of someone's education being a good thing depends on how much Lissa has grown. 

The flashback where Lucina meets Grima takes place in Ylisse castle which suggest she lived there during most of the apocalypse so logically she should have access to Ylisse's library. 

4 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I would say Inigo is probably fairly educated - devoting your life to holding girls' attentions enough to try for multiple dates pretty much requires that you have some sort of background of information with which to hold up conversations for long enough to seem worth another cup of tea or night in bed as the situation may require.

Also in his and owain support he gets a hold of reads Owain's "Manual of Justice" so that confirms they both have at least basic reading/writing skills. I suppose this could also apply to yarne because he threatened to read it to everyone in the future past 2.