The themes of awakening

Ottservia

Just a more on topic thread to continue the discussion found here. Let's discuss the in depth themes and messages of awakening and how it goes about conveying those things

Well, I suppose Awakening's themes revolve around fate in a way. From the looks of things, fate is a constant, or at least seems to be, since the universe doesn't deviate far from it's original state (Emmeryn's death, Walhart's death). The only 2 situations that are different are Basilio's Death (becomes horrible injury since he was able to swallow his pride), and Grima's own demise (for being impatient and taking Robin's place as the new vessel instead of actually just finishing off Chrom). The game also conveys that the apparent link between people, Quintessence, Souls, or whatever you wish to name them, is what keeps them together.

On a side note, does anybody else find Robin's return in the killing Grima choice potentially bad? Perhaps he loses his memories since he killed himself in a way. Or perhaps he'll awaken with the memories from before Grima tried to brainwash him?

No matter, Awakening is a tale of fate and connections, love and what have you. Fate itself did also show it's true colors in Future Past as well, considering that Grima in the end dies even when he wins. In the end, there seems to be no feasable way for Grima to remain alive, or at least, such is the way fate wills it.

43 minutes ago, ArgentSable said:

No matter, Awakening is a tale of fate and connections, love and what have you. Fate itself did also show it's true colors in Future Past as well, considering that Grima in the end dies even when he wins. In the end, there seems to be no feasable way for Grima to remain alive, or at least, such is the way fate wills it.

Shouldn't Grima have permanently won in the world Lucina left? If my understanding of the timespace metaphysics Awakening abides by is correct.

Future Past might be the world which Lucina came from, but even if it was, Chrom's entrance of the world and actions therein created a new world. The exact world Lucina left can never be saved by intervention from another dimension, since that will only split the world. For it to be saved, it would have to be saved from within, which we cannot know since by the laws of timespace it cannot be visited in Awakening, only speculatively observed by Naga if that.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Shouldn't Grima have permanently won in the world Lucina left? If my understanding of the timespace metaphysics Awakening abides by is correct.

Future Past might be the world which Lucina came from, but even if it was, Chrom's entrance of the world and actions therein created a new world. The exact world Lucina left can never be saved by intervention from another dimension, since that will only split the world. For it to be saved, it would have to be saved from within, which we cannot know since by the laws of timespace it cannot be visited in Awakening, only speculatively observed by Naga if that.

Well technically yes and no. I mean the future Lucina came from is still technically saved because Grima is no longer present in that world. I mean it's still a post apocalyptic hellscape but now that the major threat is gone there at least now exists a chance for the world to rebuild itself. With Grima gone, Risen are now more of a finite thing(kind of) and can be taken care of a lot more easily dealt with. All it takes at this point is one strong fighter to rally everyone and rebuild.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I would say that Fire Emblem doesn't rely abide by the basic laws of physics. A good example is how, by Fire Emblem's Logic Lucina, Severa, Owain, Inigo, and the other kids are still born somehow. When, if we followed the laws of physics, even the smallest change would modify who was born, the parents choice of name, etc. At least, that's how I see it.

Edited by ArgentSable