Which character has unexpectedly clicked with you? Vice Versa?

Zapp Branniglenn

Before the game released, a lot of us already had a list of characters in our head we anticipated playing. But now that some time has passed, how have your expectations faired? Have you been playing exactly who you expected to be playing, or did you suddenly realize one of them is more fun than they looked?

For me, Wolf feels very good. I thought this would be the game where I finally picked up Falco, but something still doesn't seem right. I was already ecstatic with Wolf's re-inclusion to the roster, I like playable villains. But I did not like his moveset in Brawl. All his A attacks seemed hastily cobbled together from a mishmash of other characters and one of his taunts had this weird noise I didn't like. Now that weird noise taunt is different (which was a surprise since Veeeeery few taunts have been changed), and his moveset seems a lot less random and more natural looking for a creature to perform. Between Falco and Wolf, this is the "slower Fox" I'd rather play as.

Edited by Glennstavos

King Dedede is actually a blast to play for me. I feel like I always wanted to play him, and in Brawl I occasionally did (and I still say he should have his rolling grab back for Ultimate but oh well), but here he feels like he can actually compete. His new upgrade to Inhale lets him fight back against projectiles, as well as re-fire his own projectile at a faster speed if it's bounced back by his opponent. His weight lets him tough to kill, but he has zero issue getting back to the stage with his armored Up-B and his 3 float jumps. I wish he had a better Down-B though.

Also that sexy crouch position, it lets me taunt even when taunts are disabled because he's so smug in Ultimate, and it's just absolutely wonderful

Image result for king dedede crouch ultimate

Edited by Florina's #1 Fan

Sheik. I've always been a Zelda fan, but I played World of Light first and wasn't able to unlock her yet. Sheik was available right at the start and I started to like how quick their moveset was.

I know it's not a huge leap, but I'm enjoying Sheik more than I thought.

Definitely Zelda. She didn't click with me at first but over time, i got really comfortable with her. She's really fun to use and her Stand [T H E  P H A N T O M] is such a good tool to use. Her lightning kick sweetspots are also so much easier to land. Her jab is now quick compared to in previous games where it took 10 years to come out and end. Up throw -> Up-air is a combo and Up-throw just kills at high percents.

I don't know where she'll end up in the tier list (i expect mid-tier in the worst case scenario) but she's finally out of bottom tier.

My other main is Shulk but i feel so much more confident in using Zelda.

Well, since the beginning I've always been more into the lighter and faster characters than heavier and slower, because the majority of my skills comes from dodging and out maneuvering. I think overall, while I have always mained Marth, Pichu has clicked with me in ultimate. I used to use before, but he was more a 'I want to mess around' type of character, but I had recently got to play the new game with friends and I found I did much much better with Pichu than I thought (which in turn made my friends not believe that they had lost to something that damages itself) 
I found Ice climbers also kind of clicked with me in the new release. I don't know why, but it felt a lot better to play than the previous appearances. 

Well, I've always liked FE characters so they don't really count. But from Smash, I gotta say Palutena. I've seen her in the other Smashes but never really played her. I ended up liking her moveset and well, I'm interested in Kid Icarus to an extent now. So, I guess that counts.

Of all the Ultimate newcomers, I was hardly expecting to take to Isabelle so well.  I mean, maybe it's just because I like dogs, but that wouldn't explain why I've barely touched Duck Hunt dog - though that could be because I get sick of that stupid mutt giggling at me every time I miss the ducks.  In any event, yeah, I like the way Isabelle plays.

Unlike Fox and Falco I do well with Wolf. He is easier to control for me because slower, but also more powerful. And unlike in Brawl his worse recovery in terms of safety than the other two is not punished anymore. However there is one thing I miss about him: his voice. I really do not like his current voice at all. But same goes for the other two StarFox guys as well past Brawl. Nevertheless I find Wolf really good in Ultimate overall.

Palutena buffs has made her so much more comfortable for me. I played her lightly in Smash 4 but couldn't get really far because of just being generally bad. Explosive Flame is useful as hell, combining counter and reflect was nice, her tilts aren't exactly terrible anymore, just a lot of stuff that makes her feel great.

Dr. Mario. I never before used him up until my final days of playing Smash 4. He's now my main alongside Roy who Ultimate definitely gave improvements to. Mii Swordfighter can also be surprisingly good with the right build. I use a Zelgius mii as my Swordfighter

Edited by Arcphoenix

It just occurred to me you could ask the question in reverse as well. Sometimes a fun looking character doesn't click. Well my OP already mentions Falco. I did anticipate picking up Pikachu, but that was dependent upon my friend and I having a co-op romp through Adventure Mode on day 1. But the mode does not allow for co-op, so the Pika and Kirby vampire hunters sequence will never happen.

Characters I expected to click and did so beyond my expectations - the Belmonts

Characters I didn't expect to click but did - Corrin, Cloud, Incineroar

Characters that I expected to click but don't - Fox, Kirby (both now feel strange to me with the new pace and physics, but then I also barely played Smash 4.)

Edited by Etheus

Oh yeah, a character who doesn't really click with me anymore is Corrin. That probably has to do with her being overall nerfed but man, she's just not fun to play anymore.

I never really thought much of Incineroar and wasn't hyped for him at all. I never hated Incineroar but found him a disappointing addition who got in purely out of obligation rather than anything substantial, and making him the last reveal was certainly a mistake. But now he's here I'm actually pretty fond of Incineroar. The pro wrestling gimmick quickly won me over, his random taunting is amusing and his attacks are satisfying to use. He's probably my favorite pokemon to play as. 

There are also the Belmonts. I found them very weird adds since they are from a dead series made by an even deader company. I wouldn't say they are my favorites but I find their attacks fun to use and consistently liked any Castlevania addition that made it into the game like Dracula as a boss or his castle in WOL. 

I wasn't expecting to like K Rool since I'm not into DK at all, but he immediately felt great to play and I love his movements and expressions. 

Zelda I always liked playing casually even though she wasn't that good, but now I can feel confident choosing her for more serious matches too and I love it.

Chrom! He’s a lot of fun, to my surprise. 

Still figuring out Pokémon Trainer, but he’s a blast to play as well.

Incineroar is a favorite, even though his recovery sucks ass.

Still playing Corrin (because dragon) but I need to work on not relying on her counter move too much (love its animation).

Edit: I’ve also taken a liking to Duck Hunt.

Edit 2: Loving Pirahna Plant even though I’m not that good at him (her? It?) yet.

Edited by Eqstrian819

Zelda would be a character I never expected to click with me. I played her rarely in melee and even less in Brawl. Back then I thought she was absolutely terrible.

Somehow in smash 4 that all changed though. Nayru's love is a amazing attack, farore's wind has quite a lot of power behind it and Zelda's lightning kicks are satisfying to land. She ended up going from never used to one of my two mains.

I've been a huge fan of Ridley lately. The move where he drags you across the stage is very fun and his fireballs piss my friends off so much. 

And while I usually don't play Mario a whole bunch there's something about him I really really like this time around, despite the fact he seems... the same?

I'm also really happy with Ganondorf too. He finally uses his sword and it has one hell of a range, let me tell you. He's definitely my main.

I was always going to main Lucina (same in Wii U)

That's why it baffles me that I'm doing so much better with Robin. Robin's considered low tier but I'm having more fun and getting more wins there than with Lucina. /shrug

He’s not a main but I’ve been using Bowser quite a bit in this game, he’s super fun.

Shoutout to Doc too as it’s the most fun I’ve had as a Mario since 64.

Considering my inexperience, I have learned that I am more defensive. I expected Marth and Lucina to click before the game released, but not exactly Simon and Richter. Having played and liked some Castlevania games, I at least wanted to try them out, but I am sort of getting the hang with them.

I might also try how good I can be with Samus/Dark Samus.

• 2 weeks later...

Marth. I was waiting for Corrin before unlockment, so I had to play as Marth. I got quite good as him, holding 7.9 in Classic Mode Currently. Of course, now I unlocked Corrin, he's my main alongside Lucario and Daisy, but it was nice to try a new character.