Cipher community, we need your help! (High-Quality english half-card proxies)

I Deserve This

Hey everyone!

I'm currently working on a project started by Saiklex (check his topic out). We're making printable Fire Emblem Cipher half-card proxies. You can place them on your card and put the card with the half-card proxy in a sleeve. You know have an english cipher card. It's much easier to play with if you're a fan of playing physical. Here are 2 examples of what we're working on:

5c2cc3c92fb03_Tiki_P13-004PRbyIdeservethis.png.80d72ba0a48ec745b3f707d6fbccd444.png5c2cc4364546b_Sigurd_B06-002NbyIdeservethis.png.a1c873fe6d7d793d2e4c0e833be4f5a9.png42488899_10212152817403510_6778042680438947840_o.thumb.jpg.e5d24d56ad6d23a70017c873d6ee3b20.jpg

We need your help with making more of these fire emblem cipher half-card proxies. You do not need any knowledge about editing, I'd be happy to teach you how everything works! You do need photoshop. I used a free version to make the proxies above. If you're interested in helping out, even if you just want to make proxies for your own deck, we'd be happy to have you! Do not hestitate to DM me! 

Check Saiklex's post out for more information and the google drive link with all the proxies so far! 

Saiklex's post: 

If you do not have time to help, and your favorite card is not in google drive(Saiklex's post)? DM me as well with the card you want a proxy for, I'll make it for you!

Special thanks to TripleCritical, who made all this possible by creating the templates we use for making these half cards.

Edited by I Deserve This

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

Just checking to see if you guys already know, but I believe the section where it says 'Type' is actually used to state whether the Unit is Promoted or Unpromoted.

Yes, you're right about that! The 'Type' is the only thing me and others skip when making the proxies. It's simply a bit too much text for such a small box. Ofcourse you can make the text smaller to make it fit the box, and it looks okayish at best on a screen, but it does not translate to a printed proxy at all. It's simply unreadable unfortunately. It does not add anything to the personality of the character on the card or the gameplay, so personally, I don't mind that box the way it is. But yah, thank you for noticing things like that :)

Why not just make full proxies instead, the game itself is inaccessible outside of Japan. It would make things easier for people to build some decks using some other tcg cards. I'd be willing to help if you guys were considering doing just that

Good work on it, I would really like to make some proxy decks to let some friends at my LGS try out the game.

I don't know 

3 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

Why not just make full proxies instead, the game itself is inaccessible outside of Japan. It would make things easier for people to build some decks using some other tcg cards. I'd be willing to help if you guys were considering doing just that

Good work on it, I would really like to make some proxy decks to let some friends at my LGS try out the game.

I don't want to go to prison for this. Haha no seriously, I'm pretty sure that that would be illegal in my, and other countries.

So far I've been quite content just putting little notes in the sleeve behind the card with translations. I mostly remember all the effects anyways. However I've noticed it makes it tough to lend out decks to people that don't have their own deck but would be willing to try the game. 

I might be making some half proxies for one of my decks when I have time, if you want you may remind me if you don't hear back from me.

7 hours ago, I Deserve This said:

I don't know 

I don't want to go to prison for this. Haha no seriously, I'm pretty sure that that would be illegal in my, and other countries.

Well as long as you're not making any money off of it, the most likely event would be a cease and desist. By all means using half of the art is still violating most copyright laws, it's the decision of the company to press charges and most will only if it causes them significant losses, which IMO likely won't happen in this case just because there isn't a real market for this stuff, and they were never in the international market in the first place.

1 hour ago, Captain Karnage said:

Well as long as you're not making any money off of it, the most likely event would be a cease and desist. By all means using half of the art is still violating most copyright laws, it's the decision of the company to press charges and most will only if it causes them significant losses, which IMO likely won't happen in this case just because there isn't a real market for this stuff, and they were never in the international market in the first place.

I'm no expert when it comes to legal stuff. All I know is that the in Saiklex's topic with the link to the google drive, there's a disclaimer that states the following: "All art (c)Nintendo/Intelligent Systems. This project is done purely out of love for the series and I hope that it helps more English players to get into the game." You can find the same thing in the google drive as well. It means we want more people in the west to buy and play the game. But to get back on topic, I think half-card proxies support this statement. Buy the cards if you want to play. It has the faction, weapon type, unit type, deployment cost, class change cost and of course, the biggest part of the art. If we'd switch to full proxies then it's like we're asking you to print the cards without buying the game, that's how I feel about it anyway.

So yah, if you change your mind about the half-card proxies, let me know, we'd love to have you join our team!! 

3 hours ago, I Deserve This said:

I'm no expert when it comes to legal stuff. All I know is that the in Saiklex's topic with the link to the google drive, there's a disclaimer that states the following: "All art (c)Nintendo/Intelligent Systems. This project is done purely out of love for the series and I hope that it helps more English players to get into the game." You can find the same thing in the google drive as well. It means we want more people in the west to buy and play the game. But to get back on topic, I think half-card proxies support this statement. Buy the cards if you want to play. It has the faction, weapon type, unit type, deployment cost, class change cost and of course, the biggest part of the art. If we'd switch to full proxies then it's like we're asking you to print the cards without buying the game, that's how I feel about it anyway.

coming from other games most people don't have a problem with playing with proxies, as long as it's not organized play.

If you want to support the game it's best that people buy packs and not singles as the money is just going to the people who sell the singles and not the developers of the game (though those sellers are making it possible to have organized play). I think it would encourage more people to buy the original cards

On 1/2/2019 at 7:20 PM, I Deserve This said:

Yes, you're right about that! The 'Type' is the only thing me and others skip when making the proxies. It's simply a bit too much text for such a small box. Ofcourse you can make the text smaller to make it fit the box, and it looks okayish at best on a screen, but it does not translate to a printed proxy at all. It's simply unreadable unfortunately. It does not add anything to the personality of the character on the card or the gameplay, so personally, I don't mind that box the way it is. But yah, thank you for noticing things like that :)

Hm, fair point. You could potentially just do U or P in the slot, but I suppose it doesn't really do much since we don't have any cards that specify doing things just to Promoted or Unpromoted Class Units. If that changes, then yeah, probably just go with U/P.

You can see whether it's a promoted class by checking whether it has a promotion cost. It's definitely used but it's easier to check for promotion cost. (That said for neatness sake I'd say put something there other than just saying type)

Hello there!

First of all, I am very impressed by this amazing and helpful project. A very big THANK YOU to everyone who invested their free time and effort to create and share these with us all. You certainly have my gratitude.

And about the "Type" field... of course this is your decision, but actually I also think some sort of letter instead (depending on the card and like already suggested here) would be quite nicer indeed. Taken from the "How to Play" page of Serenes Forest:

11 - Unit Type and Class - This is also more in aesthetics or for the sake of putting it there to make it descriptive, but a unit’s class determines the affinities they get. As for unit type, these will be known as Base, Promoted, Master Class, Overclass or Fixed Class. None of these really matter towards the rules, at the end of the day it’s just aesthetics.

I can't read Japanese and don't know the rules (yet), but it sounds like B (Base), P (Promoted), MC or M (Master Class), O (Overclass) and F (Fixed Class) could be used?

Just wanted to add my thoughts about this and thank you for reading!

Edited by Zaziki

33 minutes ago, Zaziki said:

Hello there!

First of all, I am very impressed by this amazing and helpful project. A very big THANK YOU to everyone who invested their free time and effort to create and share these with us all. You certainly have my gratitude.

And about the "Type" field... of course this is your decision, but actually I also think some sort of letter instead (depending on the card and like already suggested here) would be quite nicer indeed. Taken from the "How to Play" page of Serenes Forest:

11 - Unit Type and Class - This is also more in aesthetics or for the sake of putting it there to make it descriptive, but a unit’s class determines the affinities they get. As for unit type, these will be known as Base, Promoted, Master Class, Overclass or Fixed Class. None of these really matter towards the rules, at the end of the day it’s just aesthetics.

I can't read Japanese and don't know the rules (yet), but it sounds like B (Base), P (Promoted), MC or M (Master Class), O (Overclass) and F (Fixed Class) could be used?

Just wanted to add my thoughts about this and thank you for reading!

Hi! Thank you for sharing!

I see a lot of people are talking about this. I showed your response to the team that's making the half cards. We unfortunately came to the conclusion to not change the 'type' box. It would not have been a problem if we only just started this project, but we've created hundreds of proxies already. We value consistency in the proxies and we did not want to put our time and effort into changing a box that adds nothing to the card for every proxy we made so far, we are instead making more proxies for the cards that don't have one yet. I hope you understand!

That being said, if you want to use the proxies we've made so far for a personal deck, I'd be happy to change some of the 'type' boxes for you to whatever you want. Just let me know which cards and I'll send the edits to you! :D

8 hours ago, I Deserve This said:

Hi! Thank you for sharing!

I see a lot of people are talking about this. I showed your response to the team that's making the half cards. We unfortunately came to the conclusion to not change the 'type' box. It would not have been a problem if we only just started this project, but we've created hundreds of proxies already. We value consistency in the proxies and we did not want to put our time and effort into changing a box that adds nothing to the card for every proxy we made so far, we are instead making more proxies for the cards that don't have one yet. I hope you understand!

That being said, if you want to use the proxies we've made so far for a personal deck, I'd be happy to change some of the 'type' boxes for you to whatever you want. Just let me know which cards and I'll send the edits to you! :D

Of course and thanks a lot for your informative and very kind reply!

I certainly do understand and appreciate that you all were considering it at all in the first place. With all the work you've invested already and the goal to stay  consistent, this decision makes sense indeed.

This is such a nice and incredible offer, thank you so much! I would never want to steal your time because of such thing and rather would try to do it myself if I really wanted to, so no need to. And know how much I appreciate it! :')

• 3 months later...

Would it be simpler to work with those who developed the FE Cipher Tabletop Simulator plug-in?

They already have the translations up to set 14. Not sure if that would make life a bit easier, though I don't know if they have the same format as you guys.

@breademic Thanks for the suggestion! We already discussed it with the cipher TTS team a while ago. We came to the conclusion that this cooperation would not work, as we both have different goals. Ours is to have printable proxies. The proxies the TTS team made were unfortunately unreadable when printed.