Menu Thing

AJ Okami

I was re-watching the Three Houses trailer from E3 and noticed this option (between Byleth's name and the weapon) and realised I had no clue what it was (It appears at 1:01 in the trailer). I also noticed that it doesn't appear when Edelgard attacks earlier in the trailer (0:39) Does anyone have any idea what it is?

Untitled presentation.png

Untitled presentation.jpg

3 minutes ago, nhaer042 said:

Magic or weapon arts maybe?

Hmm... Maybe. Now that I think a bit more, it could be for shields or something. Maybe you can equip both weapons and shields at once now.

That's a good catch. I wonder if it has something to do with Edelgard and Byleth having arrows pointing at each other a second after the camera goes down to the troop view. I doubt IS has gotten rid of every element of units assisting each other from Awakening and Fates, so maybe it's an interface for a different kind of assist attack. The trailer cuts away from the combat pretty fast.

There's really no way for us to know what it's for until more information is revealed, but to add my own thoughts, it might be for unique actions that only Byleth can do, seeing as how he's most likely going to be either the avatar unit or something along the lines of the main Lord character. As for what those actions are, I have no clue. Another guess would be that it's a menu that will allow units to use certain weapon skills or positional skills, and the reason Edelgard doesn't have it is because she doesn't have any of those skills yet.

5 hours ago, Ressueah said:

Taken from this topic

So Combat Art?

This sounds like the arts system from Echoes. Interesting... The gameplay is really reminding me of Langrisser.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:02 PM, Dandy Druid said:

So Combat Art?

This sounds like the arts system from Echoes. Interesting... The gameplay is really reminding me of Langrisser.

Glad I'm not the only one that sees this wouldn't be surprised if the troop system will be similar.

2 hours ago, Guest Lae said:

Glad I'm not the only one that sees this wouldn't be surprised if the troop system will be similar.

Yeah I wonder how similar TH will be to the Langrisser games.

Rn I think the troops is just purely aesthetic although there was one moment in the trailer that looked like some sort of troop/pair up mechanic.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I noticed it to. I believe that it will actually be a form of pair-up that gives the player even more freedom of whether or not they want an ally to attack, defend, and more. The sequence starts at 0:55 in the trailer, and both Edelgard and Byleth were selected on the map before an enemy was chosen. Compare this to the earlier attack, where only Edelgard was chosen, and the option didn't appear.

Considering that Fates took steps to make Pair-up less broken and more reliable than it was in Awakening, I wouldn't be surprised if Three Houses expands upon this mechanic even more by giving the player a choice of what they want the partner to do without having to plan ahead with positioning as much.