A Pre-Release Poll for Three Houses (1/3/2019)

BZL8

A Prerelease Poll (1/3/2019) for "Three Houses"  

98 members have voted

1. 1. How has the promotional material/footage (trailers, clips, gameplay, previews, press-releases, etc.) for the game released so far affected your expectations?

• R.I.P. Fire Emblem.
    • Soured it.
    • I like it.
    • Give the game to me. NOW.
    • Still on the fence.
  2. 2. Would you be okay with a potential delay for the game?

• Yes. I am fine with a delay.
    • No. I am NOT okay with a delay.
    • I am unsure about it.
  3. 3. What are your current thoughts on the four characters so far? (Byleth, Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude)

• I hate them.
    • I don't like them.
    • Unsure about them.
    • I like them.
    • I love them.
    • Who are these characters again?
  4. 4. What are your current thoughts on the gameplay mechanics revealed thus far? (Troop support, skills, combat arts, free roaming, etc.)

• Unsure about those mechanics.
    • I like those mechanics.
    • I love those mechanics.
    • What mechanics?
  5. 5. Do you like what is currently known about the story/world/lore of "Three Houses" so far?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Still on the fence.
    • I don't know anything about what you asked.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/13/2019 at 04:30 AM

6 hours ago, ElectiveToast said:

Really, the MU thing can be done right, just that FE Fates didn’t. Making Byleth silent and only speaking through dialogue options would be a nice first step. 

True but we already have three games in a row featuring a MU (FE 12 Heros of Light and Shadow , FE 13 Awakening and FE Fates ). I would rather want a set figure with own strengths and weaknesses for once. -> In my opinion a MU is just restricting the Story writers to make the Player feel good or that the Player can do no wrong (sorry.. flashbacks from Fates are always crossing my mind with that).

Oh well. Lets see what "route" they go with.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Guest Dia said:

True but we already have three games in a row featuring a MU (FE 12 Heros of Light and Shadow , FE 13 Awakening and FE Fates ). I would rather want a set figure with own strengths and weaknesses for once. -> In my opinion a MU is just restricting the Story writers to make the Player feel good or that the Player can do no wrong (sorry.. flashbacks from Fates are always crossing my mind with that).

Oh well. Lets see what "route" they go with.

Make the MU a Oifrey. Someone who acts as a councilor for the main lord and is respected among the party, and is more than powerful in combat, but takes a sideline to the plot. 

The problem with MU characters is that they try to be their own characters while simultaneously being player inserts. It's not like you're playing as a silent protagonist whose actions and words you can choose, or a distinct protagonist who is in no way meant to be the reader, it's half and half. Because of this, the writers end up needing to write a character who gets showered with praise and importance and can easily be projected onto (avatar) while also having the character be set in their actions, arc, and decisions.

What you end up with is a barely fleshed out (if at all) bland protagonist that everyone can relate to because they're basic enough to let that happen and showered with praise, but they aren't YOU because then you'd actually be able to make a choice or two. They tried a best of both worlds approach, but did it in a way that combined aspects of two things that conflict with each other.

It's POSSIBLE to write an interesting avatar character whose actions you can influence but the method IntSys uses does the exact opposite. the last time I remember that happening was Tactics Ogre's Denam.

I just think Fire Emblem is better off without them, but they wont leave any time soon apparently so meh.

While we are on the topic of MU characters, what are your thoughts on how Atlus handles their Persona MU characters? I am asking this since they seem to be some of most popular player characters in Japanese games.

Edited by BZL8

I don’t think they’re bad like Fire Emblem avatars but personally I prefer playing as a character that isn’t meant to represent me so they’re okay I guess.

I only played P3 FES (not the portable one) so I can only say something to that.

Uhm... do you mean to compare the MUs between FE and Persona ? If not then that is my bad.

I find the MU in P3 FES to be rather bland. Yes you have different dialogue Options throughout P3 , however this is not enough for me to consider him/her a "proper" MU. (Keep in mind that this is just my opinion.). -> I have seen different playthroughs of P4 Golden and P5 and find the MUs all... Kind of similar to P3. -> So there is some consistency in my opinion. The MUs in the FE games however are a mixed bag for me. One MU is not playing a big role in the plot at all (FE 12) ; the other one gets "important" only later on in the Story (FE Awakening) and the MU in Fates just hugs everything to death (be it plot, Drama or whatever).

So...to answer the question : I think Atlus handles the MUs more consistend than IS with their MUs in FE. -> If I have to use a MU in a game , I would rather want a consistent one rather than a mixed bag.

Uhm....I hope I make sense. :>_<: