Creative Ideas for the Fire Emblem

vanguard333

A recurring feature of the FE games is a signature item named after the series itself. The Fire Emblem has come in all kinds of shapes and forms and has had many different uses: it's been a shield, a gem, a stone, a medallion; it's imprisoned maddened Earth Dragons, it's imprisoned evil beings, and it's imprisoned a supposedly evil being that turned out to not be evil after all. One time, it's also been a magic chainsaw Master Sword with a dark history that was barely touched on. 

Basically, the Fire Emblem has come in different forms, but there could always be more clever twists on the formula. Here is a topic for just that: post any ideas for a Fire Emblem that you think would be creative or a clever twist on the usual formula. 

Here's mine: in these games, the Fire Emblem has always been an object. How about an FE game where the player is led to believe at first that the Fire Emblem is an object, but it turns out to actually be a person. Perhaps, as a bit of foreshadowing, there's a scene where the villain interrogates an old sage character and the sage, with his dying breath, mocks the villain. But the villain notices the sage's choice of words and realizes out loud, "So, the Fire Emblem lives." 

Edited by vanguard333

I liked what Tellius did with the Fire Emblem, but I think it could be more interesting with a different spin.

Instead of imprisoning a dark god, the Fire Emblem holds the power to summon the god of light to purify the world. Then this emblem ends up in the hand of some low-life do-gooders who have heard the tales of its power, and decide to give it a go due to the utter corruption rampant in this world. But all the nobles and cults want the emblem so they can destroy it, so our rag tag heroes have to lay low, gathering what small amount of support they can, and only getting into minor fights that are still big risks. As for what causes the summoning of the god (well, probably goddess since this is Fire Emblem), I don't know since I haven't really thought that far yet.

Imagine a conversation about the Fire Emblem, and it starts with, "Hey fellow Fire Emblem fan, what's your favorite incarnation of the Fire Emblem? Mine's the chainsaw sword!"

I really like the idea you had with the Fire Emblem being a person. There can be quite a bit of creative freedom if IS ever decides on doing that, maybe a bit too much freedom. However, a person that acts as a "key" to everything has already been done plenty of times before in fiction, kind of like Zelda in BotW. I still really like the idea of a person being the Fire Emblem, and I can see it working in a future title (as long as the main protagonist isn't the Fire Emblem, I think it'll be fine).

As for my own ideas, I think the Fire Emblem should be a book. Not a tome, just a book. It would just be a plain book with nothing too special about it. The reason it's called the Fire Emblem is that it's a highly sought after treasure that no one (of the current time period) has seen before (it's a book of the distant past). What's inside the book is what everyone is looking for. It contains knowledge and secrets that no mortal man should ever lay eyes upon (OK, well, they can, but it's suggested that they don't).

I just sort of made that up as I went along, but I think it could work with a few tweaks. It would also be written by Shanty Pete.

34 minutes ago, indigoceans said:

Imagine a conversation about the Fire Emblem, and it starts with, "Hey fellow Fire Emblem fan, what's your favorite incarnation of the Fire Emblem? Mine's the chainsaw sword!"

I could see this conversation going fairly well until that FE fan remembers which game it was that had the chainsaw sword as the Fire Emblem and exclaims, "That's your favourite?!"

35 minutes ago, indigoceans said:

I really like the idea you had with the Fire Emblem being a person. There can be quite a bit of creative freedom if IS ever decides on doing that, maybe a bit too much freedom. However, a person that acts as a "key" to everything has already been done plenty of times before in fiction, kind of like Zelda in BotW. I still really like the idea of a person being the Fire Emblem, and I can see it working in a future title (as long as the main protagonist isn't the Fire Emblem, I think it'll be fine).

Thanks. Yeah; they would have to make sure that it doesn't turn the person into a living McGuffin, and yeah; the Fire Emblem shouldn't be the protagonist. 

38 minutes ago, indigoceans said:

As for my own ideas, I think the Fire Emblem should be a book. Not a tome, just a book. It would just be a plain book with nothing too special about it. The reason it's called the Fire Emblem is that it's a highly sought after treasure that no one (of the current time period) has seen before (it's a book of the distant past). What's inside the book is what everyone is looking for. It contains knowledge and secrets that no mortal man should ever lay eyes upon (OK, well, they can, but it's suggested that they don't).

I just sort of made that up as I went along, but I think it could work with a few tweaks. It would also be written by Shanty Pete.

The Fire Emblem being a book with great plot importance could definitely work. I could see it being a number of things, such as: a sacred text of a religion on the continent, a journal of an ancient mage or powerful being, or even a book that carries the "memory" of an ancient evil being and someone writing in the book brings a curse on the land and brings them under the book's influence (that one sounds familiar to me for some reason; I can't remember why though...). 

A book containing ancient knowledge man was never meant to know could be interesting.

Ugh; why is it that I recognize that name but can't remember where it's from?!

29 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

The Fire Emblem being a book with great plot importance could definitely work. I could see it being a number of things, such as: a sacred text of a religion on the continent, a journal of an ancient mage or powerful being, or even a book that carries the "memory" of an ancient evil being and someone writing in the book brings a curse on the land and brings them under the book's influence (that one sounds familiar to me for some reason; I can't remember why though...). 

Could you be thinking of the Loptous tome that possesses Julius in FE4? That's about the only book that possesses anyone in the series, unless you're thinking of a different book from a different series, in which case I can't help you there.

29 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Ugh; why is it that I recognize that name but can't remember where it's from?!

I think that this page will help you out.

Haha, I just realized that I said that I can't help you with one thing, then I went and helped you out with another. Ironic.

Edited by indigoceans

12 hours ago, indigoceans said:

Could you be thinking of the Loptous tome that possesses Julius in FE4? That's about the only book that possesses anyone in the series, unless you're thinking of a different book from a different series, in which case I can't help you there.

I was making a joke about Tom Riddle's diary in the second Harry Potter book/movie. In retrospect, I should've realized that, given how long ago that film was, it probably wasn't going to be the first thing on someone's mind when thinking about a magic book.

12 hours ago, indigoceans said:

I think that this page will help you out.

Haha, I just realized that I said that I can't help you with one thing, then I went and helped you out with another. Ironic.

Oh right; those two pirate guys in chapter 9 of Path of Radiance mentioned him.

Imma go with

On 1/3/2019 at 9:59 PM, vanguard333 said:

Here's mine: in these games, the Fire Emblem has always been an object. How about an FE game where the player is led to believe at first that the Fire Emblem is an object, but it turns out to actually be a person. 

...Nice...

Here's mine:   The Fire Emblems we have seen so far are incomplete shards of the One True Emblem which can only be summoned by gathering the "Fire Emblems" of each world + combining their power.

Edited by Shoblongoo

15 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Imma go with

...Nice...

Here's mine:   The Fire Emblems we have seen so far are incomplete shards of the One True Emblem which can only be summoned by gathering the "Fire Emblems" of each world + combining their power.

Would be interesting concept for heroes to use.

14 hours ago, vanguard333 said:
15 hours ago, indigoceans said:

I could see this conversation going fairly well until that FE fan remembers which game it was that had the chainsaw sword as the Fire Emblem and exclaims, "That's your favourite?!"

To be fair, the chainsaw sword is extremely cool. As much as I hate corrin as a character, I gotta admit they have insanely cool powers and abilities.

The Fire Emblem is always something important to the plot that the player and main characters find out about midway through the story. I would like to see it be the reason the main character goes on an adventure for, like the one piece in One Piece. 

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎07 at 10:12 AM, Otts486 said:

To be fair, the chainsaw sword is extremely cool. As much as I hate corrin as a character, I gotta admit they have insanely cool powers and abilities.

True. Corrin is terribly written but has awesome abilities. He was rather perfect for Smash Bros in that regard. 

• 2 weeks later...

What about there being multiple of them,  scattered across the continent / world. And gathering all of them gives the weilder extreme power. Not the gems from MoTE and awakening. Since the shield was the emblem, and the gems were what unlocked its powers. I'm talking about the gems are the fire emblems.

TLDR: Dragonballs

Edited by Faellin

• 2 months later...

So... Objects that could be Fire Emblem (a book/grimoire was the first thing that come to my mind, but it was already mentioned...) : 

A song.... a song would fit Fates plot perfectly if Azura's music was the Fire Emblem. I can't see it being implemented in a new game so early, but maybe some years in the future.

A musical instrument like an harp or flute could work as well, depending of the plot

A key, just a key. A lot of things could be done with it.

A mirror ... someone mentioned Harry Potter so I remembered a random mirror that showed the future, or the true form of people, or something like that... An ancient mirror that have magical properties could fit the narrative. 

A Scepter... Or any other royal object like a crown, throne (or medallion... the medallion was already used in 9/10)

I definitely like the idea of it being a person the best. There's a lot of plot related twists that could come with that. Would the fire emblem be an ally or enemy? Or would it be the only creature capable of taking down the big baddie? 

I personaly think it would be cool if the Fire Emblem was a dragon or beast stone and not something a major character would get when the game starts like with Corrin, but something he/she gets late game and them being hinted at being a manakete is through foreshadowing.

Otherwise, I think it would interesting of the Fire Emblem did not exist, but is a legend started by some jerk to get nations to go to war against each other.

4 hours ago, Mylady said:

So... Objects that could be Fire Emblem (a book/grimoire was the first thing that come to my mind, but it was already mentioned...) : 

It doesn't necessarily have to be an object. The example I gave was one where everyone thinks the Fire Emblem is an object, but it turns out to actually be a person.

A song.... a song would fit Fates plot perfectly if Azura's music was the Fire Emblem. I can't see it being implemented in a new game so early, but maybe some years in the future.

The Fire Emblem being a song would be interesting. It could have plot potential similar to the Galdr of Release in the Tellius games or Lost in Thoughts all Alone in Fates (albeit in the latter case it was mostly squandered potential... what else is new when it comes to Fates).

A musical instrument like an harp or flute could work as well, depending of the plot

That sounds a bit Legend of Zelda, but it could work.

A mirror ... someone mentioned Harry Potter so I remembered a random mirror that showed the future, or the true form of people, or something like that... An ancient mirror that have magical properties could fit the narrative. 

I mentioned Harry Potter in response to the person that mentioned a book. The mirror in Harry Potter showed the person's greatest desire.

A mirror could be interesting, though the show The Dragon Prince is coming to mind for some reason... (funnily enough, the creators of that show mentioned that they took a lot of inspiration from Fire Emblem).

1 hour ago, Martin said:

I definitely like the idea of it being a person the best. There's a lot of plot related twists that could come with that. Would the fire emblem be an ally or enemy? Or would it be the only creature capable of taking down the big baddie? 

Thanks. It would be interesting. I think the Fire Emblem being an ally (or perhaps even an undecided character) would be more interesting than an enemy, especially if the enemy is looking for the emblem. 

In my Fire Emblem style D&D-like campaigns I tried some new ideas for the fire emblem, putting it in a spoiler since the players also have accounts here (I trust them not to read this, they'd just spoil themselves)

Spoiler

In my first campaign the first thing the party learns is that the royal family members all carry a gem known as Fire Emblems (orange-sized gems with flickering flames burning inside). Soon enough they learn these emblems are actually dragonstones stolen long ago from the dragons. Near the end of the campaign (probably next session) they learn these dragon stones are just dragon stones, and the actual Fire Emblem is a magically enhanced powerstone able to increase the power of anyone wielding it.

For the next campaign I'm planning the Fire Emblem to be introduced as a super powerful gem, but when the party finds it they will find it's a fake and it doesn't actually exist at all. Instead ancient translated texts were translated wrong, ancient tomes were speaking of burning desire strengthening any man. (something along those lines, still working on it)

On 2019-03-27 at 9:03 AM, whase said:

In my Fire Emblem style D&D-like campaigns I tried some new ideas for the fire emblem, putting it in a spoiler since the players also have accounts here (I trust them not to read this, they'd just spoil themselves)

Hide contents

In my first campaign the first thing the party learns is that the royal family members all carry a gem known as Fire Emblems (orange-sized gems with flickering flames burning inside). Soon enough they learn these emblems are actually dragonstones stolen long ago from the dragons. Near the end of the campaign (probably next session) they learn these dragon stones are just dragon stones, and the actual Fire Emblem is a magically enhanced powerstone able to increase the power of anyone wielding it.

For the next campaign I'm planning the Fire Emblem to be introduced as a super powerful gem, but when the party finds it they will find it's a fake and it doesn't actually exist at all. Instead ancient translated texts were translated wrong, ancient tomes were speaking of burning desire strengthening any man. (something along those lines, still working on it)

Interesting ideas. For the players of your campaign, I'll put my response in spoilers:

Spoiler

So, for the first one, essentially a bunch of stolen dragonstones being used as knock-offs of the real Fire Emblem, and then the real Fire Emblem being an item that enhances the wielder's abilities. Interesting ideas. I like the knockoffs being stolen dragonstones, as, depending on the events that led to them being stolen, that could add some interesting history and worldbuilding that could add to a good story. I'm not sure though about the real Fire Emblem just being a generic power enhancer. I feel like it should either have a specific purpose or have a interesting cost to using it; i.e. power at a price, like the Spirit Charmers in the Tellius games. 

For the second one, Interesting concept, though it sounds a lot like the Dragon Scroll from Kung-Fu Panda. 

• 1 month later...

A painting with magical propierties could work as well. It has the same logic of the book or the song. The paint can trap or summon a dragon, a place or a secret, giving access to a new whole reality.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:13 PM, vanguard333 said:

That sounds a bit Legend of Zelda, but it could work.

I mentioned Harry Potter in response to the person that mentioned a book. The mirror in Harry Potter showed the person's greatest desire.

A mirror could be interesting, though the show The Dragon Prince is coming to mind for some reason... (funnily enough, the creators of that show mentioned that they took a lot of inspiration from Fire Emblem).

Well, it's not like Legend of Zelda or Dragon Prince invented those concepts. The mirror or grimoire being a magical object is a classic.

Another instrument that's not an occarina can be used, i mentined harp, flute but any ancient looking, portable instrument would work for example. And the story wouldn't be like any of mentioned games btw.

Edited by Mylady

On 2019-05-20 at 3:51 PM, Mylady said:

Well, it's not like Legend of Zelda or Dragon Prince invented those concepts. The mirror or grimoire being a magical object is a classic.

I know. Truth be told; I was just trying to be a bit funny and humorous references are something I enjoy. 

On 2019-05-20 at 8:16 PM, Roland said:

I've always wanted to see the Fire Emblem as some sort of spiritual force of great power. 

Interesting, though what exactly do you mean by this? Does it have some kind of mind of its own?

• 3 weeks later...

Gameplay wise, I'd get rid of Proc (RNG-based) Skills and replace them with skills that are activated via choice like Echoes' combat arts and special conditions like Wary Fighter. I plan on making my own SRPG type game in the future and I just think that more clarity and choice and less reliance on luck are better for a game where the most important thing is strategy.

21 hours ago, TheDreamReturns said:

Gameplay wise, I'd get rid of Proc (RNG-based) Skills and replace them with skills that are activated via choice like Echoes' combat arts and special conditions like Wary Fighter. I plan on making my own SRPG type game in the future and I just think that more clarity and choice and less reliance on luck are better for a game where the most important thing is strategy.

Interesting, but what does this have to do with The Fire Emblem (as in: Lehran's Medallion, the Yato, the Shield of Seals, etc.)? Are you sure you didn't post in the wrong thread?

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Interesting, but what does this have to do with The Fire Emblem (as in: Lehran's Medallion, the Yato, the Shield of Seals, etc.)? Are you sure you didn't post in the wrong thread?

Oh, WHOOPS! Guess I misread....somehow....

Nevermind what I said then wish we could delete posts

On 6/8/2019 at 6:13 PM, TheDreamReturns said:

Oh, WHOOPS! Guess I misread....somehow....

Nevermind what I said then wish we could delete posts

It's okay. 

By any chance, do you have any creative ideas for the Fire Emblem? They could be story or gameplay related, and a bunch of cool ideas have been suggested: a book, a mirror, a person, etc. 

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

It's okay. 

By any chance, do you have any creative ideas for the Fire Emblem? They could be story or gameplay related, and a bunch of cool ideas have been suggested: a book, a mirror, a person, etc. 

Not at the moment, no. 

I'll come back if I have something though.

I think it would be interesting if the Fire Emblem didn't have a power that would only be, in theory, used to help the good team win. If it was a relic that both sides were fighting over but rested in the hands of an antagonistic neutral party (say, dragons who don't have a horse in the race that is the war in the setting) that could be cool.