FE Genealogy - Pick My Pairings!

Ertrick36

12 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

It should be noted that most of Lex!Arthur's advantages only take place after promotion, while Lewyn!Arthur is useful right off the bat thanks to Forsetti. That and with the Lex pairing it makes it so that Arthur basically just becomes another Tinny, since that's mainly what she does in regards to critting with Thoron, as neither can use it off the bat, and I think there is only one Thoron tome (I might be wrong in that regard). That and Lewyn has inheritance, while Lex doesn't. The only Thoron tome I can recall appears in Chapter 8, so until then Arthur will only have his Wind tome, and maybe a Fire tome since I believe you can buy one in Chapter 7.

well, that's pretty much the point: you can either have an useful unit early game to carry over the last chapters, or a more versatile unit later on. it goes with personal preferences.

i do believe you can sell Tiltyu's tome to the Pawn shop thou, that way you should be able to get 2 Thorons in 2nd generation. Arthur will be fine with his Wind tome for a while.

however, he can use ThoronΒ way earlier compared to Tinny, simply because he joins in the first chapter and has all the time to level up. same goes for swords.

Β 

basicly, the whole point of playing with that build is to have Arthur attack and debuff enemy units with the Berserk sword in order to make them attack each other.

that way he should still be able to take some damage in the process until he goes to low HP, and after that he can switch to tomes to start nuking from the distance.

Β 

you could eventually use the Sleep sword as well to block enemy units entirely from acting, but that way you wouldn't be able to take damage when Sleep triggers.

unless you want to play around counter hits, althou itΒ can be far more risky in some situations compared to hit&run with the Berserk sword.

on a side note: if you manage to promote both children, you can respectively have the Berserk and Sleep swords on both of them, wich would break the game even further.

7 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

If he goes with those pairings, should the pursuit ring go to Jamke!Lester or Naoise!Delmud? I'm leaning towards Delmud because at least Lester will have inherited the Brave Bow. Of course, Delmud can pull a Tristan and wait for the first available Hero Sword.

usually i leave Jamka/Lester with Killer bow+Skill ring, and Noish/Delmud with Defender sword+Shield ring, but that's only because i like efficent units with stacked stats.

the Skill ring can also be useful to Oifaye, and even more to Leaf since Master knights are basicly godlike units in Genealogy.

Jamka/Lester won't need Pursuit anyway because they can do more than fine by just using the Killer bow, so if you really have to choose, then Noish/Delmud could be a better solution.

keep in mind that Pursuit would be always better on offensive units that can use Brave weapons, but do not have Pursuit for the 4 hits combo. few examples: Lex+Brave axe. Johan/Johalva+Brave axe.

in the end, it depends on personal preferences and Brave weapons available.

Edited by Fenreir

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

i do believe you can sell Tiltyu's tome to the Pawn shop thou, that way you should be able to get 2 Thorons in 2nd generation.

I thought Pawn shop items didn't last toΒ the second generation, so the only way to move items from generation to generation is inheritance.

2 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

I thought Pawn shop items didn't last toΒ the second generation, so the only way to move items from generation to generation is inheritance.

i remember having loads and loads of iron/steel swords from 1st generation in the Pawn shop after starting 2nd generation, so in theory it shouldn't be a problem to leave items there like a secondary storage.

5 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

i remember having loads and loads of iron/steel swords from 1st generation in the Pawn shop after starting 2nd generation, so in theory it shouldn't be a problem to leave items there like a secondary storage.

Odd, because the only thing I've ever heard of from guides is storage keeping items, and the Pawn shop specifically was said to not keep items from generation 1 to 2. Maybe I just haven't tested this out enough.

32 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

Odd, because the only thing I've ever heard of from guides is storage keeping items, and the Pawn shop specifically was said to not keep items from generation 1 to 2. Maybe I just haven't tested this out enough.

well, that's because i actually messed up. oopsie whoopsieΒ 20.gif

Β 

still, you should be able to do the following: leave all the items that can't be inherited in the parent's storage, pick them up in 2nd generation, sell them to the Pawn shop.

[edit] if that still doesn't work, then perhaps it's because the items you can't inherit from 1st generation are the very same you find again in 2nd generation. worst case, just sell all the untradable items for extra money and that's it.

i think the weapons should also keep the same kill count they had before, but i could be wrong again. at this point, i'm not sure anymore. guess it's time to pick up FE4 again.

Edited by Fenreir

9 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Plus they both got some Cipher art recently, which can be good for thumbnails!

The soldier eyes on Charlot's art! They are worth far more than a thumbnail.

Β 

On 1/4/2019 at 2:06 AM, Ertrick36 said:

If only Delmud could use axes...Β  Actually nevermind, axes blow in this game.Β  The only reason Lex is so good is 'cuz of Paragon, the Brave Axe, and getting stupidly good defense and strength.

I think that is almost intentional regarding inheritance. Lex can't pass down weapons, and he doesn't give Pursuit, two big problems, but Paragon + huge Def and good Str help to compensate for these faults.Β 

I'm pretty much going for the Lachesis-Naoise pairing for the convo, though Finn is almost tied.Β  Main thing that prevents me from sticking her with Finn is I'd actually like for Finn to be somewhat useful in Gen 2 (at least in the beginning), and that's greatly hindered if he's stuck with nothing but a lame iron lance at the beginning.

With Sylvia right now, I could swing either way.

The thing I like about the two Tailtiu pairings I'm thinking about is that they're both stupid in different ways.Β  If I'm able to make use of Arthur and Tine with Lex as the father, I'll do that, otherwise I'll just go ahead and break the game with Holsety!Arthur and Tornado!Tine (sounds like the name of a wrestler).Β  Though remember that the two get Paragon with Lex as their father, so they'll level up faster than normal.Β  They just won't have the same magic potential as with Levin.

I'll decide where weapons and items are allocated when the time comes.Β  For now, I'm only concerned about who gets with who.

2 hours ago, Fenreir said:

if that still doesn't work, then perhaps it's because the items you can't inherit from 1st generation are the very same you find again in 2nd generation. worst case, just sell all the untradable items for extra money and that's it.

I'm pretty sure that's the case, the issue being that due to that we still only have one Thoron tome, meaning that Arthur/Tinny will essentially be the same character, with only notable difference being the horse and whoever grabs up Thoron first.

2 hours ago, Fenreir said:

i think the weapons should also keep the same kill count they had before, but i could be wrong again. at this point, i'm not sure anymore. guess it's time to pick up FE4 again.

I'm pretty sure this is false. When I didn't inherit the brave axe down, when I got it again I think it was fresh, and without kills. Jeez, we are both really bad at remembering specifics about FE4.

I think I seem to recall the kill counts remaining the same regardless of if you find them on the enemies in the second generation or they get directly passed down to your 2nd Gen units.Β  I believe they also keep the durability they were left with.

That, and I think any of the standard weapons that don't get passed down (iron lances and the like) all get recycled into the weapons shop for the 2nd Gen.

In any event, I don't really plan on grinding for kills with any weapon.Β  The most I might do is maybe while fending off the barrage of enemy forces in Chapter 7 attacking the Leonster forces, I'll let the leader of the assault force live to bring more waves.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

In any event, I don't really plan on grinding for kills with any weapon.Β  The most I might do is maybe while fending off the barrage of enemy forces in Chapter 7 attacking the Leonster forces, I'll let the leader of the assault force live to bring more waves.

you don't really have to grind on reinforcements to unlock the critical chance, you can just ulock it on some weapons by simply playing the campaign as it is.

last time i played, i had a good amount of kills on Sigurd with the silver sword, on Holyn with the silver blade, on Fin with the hero lance, on Lex with the hero axe, and on Jamka with the killer bow. some of those weapons were already critting by chapter 7.

also, units with the passive Critical skill on themself or on their weapon don't need 50 kills anyway, you just need to use Skill rings if you want to increase the trigger rate further.

Β 

i'llΒ resume the characters that work better withΒ Skill rings, just to give some ideas:

1st generation: Noish( passive ) - Ethlin( passive ) - Jamka( weapon ) - Levin( passive )

2nd generation: Oifey( passive ) - Leaf( passive ) - Aless( weapon ) - Altenna( passive )

on the tactical part, it would be better to give Skill rings to people who have passive skills, rather than weapon skills, simply because they can always profit from them with any weapon they use.

Β 

that is, unless you plan to use often those specific weapons with critical built in, wich will lead me to the following details:

[1st generation]

-Β Noish could work quite fine with it, but considering he only has B grade swords available, he will always deal lower damage compared to other units with different stats and weapon ranks.

- Ethlin would work even better than Noish due to A grade in swords, however due to being mainly a healer, plus story development, she won't be able to use the ring often.

- Jamka is meant to be a killing machine, and his bow was indeed built for that. he's the main contender for the Skill ring.

- Levin is the other main contender, however if we consider his Crusader weapon and B gradeΒ in staffs after promotion, he could profit way more from a Magic ring instead, due to higher default damage/higher debuff land rate.

[2nd generation]Β 

- Oifey would be the main choice for the Skill ring, as he joins early game and can already profit from it. he also has A grade withΒ swords.

- Leaf would be the best choice ever after promotion in 2nd generation, simply because:

Class Swd Lnce Axe Bow Fire Thdr Wind Light Dark Staff
Master Knight A A A A A A A C – A

Β 

...did i ever mention that Master Knights are godlike units? i think i didΒ 19.gif

- Aless is pretty much the same as Jamka in terms of weapon build, with the difference that his weapon is actually a Crusader one.

that means going bankrupt if you use it often and don't have at least a Bargain+Thief ring to cover the costs of using it. long story short: not worth it.

- Altenna is another good candidate, althou she already has her own Crusader weapon, so it's not a priority.

Β 

in the end, the decision is always up to the player of course, but i guess it's quite obvious who can profit more from Skill rings.

eventually, if you wantΒ to plan things out for early/mid/end game before starting a new playthrough, you can also compare stats with these and see for yourself:

https://serenesforest.net/genealogy-of-the-holy-war/classes/base-stats/

https://serenesforest.net/genealogy-of-the-holy-war/classes/maximum-stats/

Β 

sorry if i derailed the topic a bit.Β i just couldn't hold back, theorycraft is my weakness.

46 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

you don't really have to grind on reinforcements to unlock the critical chance, you can just ulock it on some weapons by simply playing the campaign as it is.

I was just saying because I know some do.Β  I remember one guy grinded the living hell out of Chapter 1's second castle assault force (the one that goes after Dew and Adean - just like the assault force in Chapter 7, if you hurt the leader enough he'll retreat to gather reinforcements)Β to get Ethlyn's slim sword up to 100 kills so that every sword user could grind in the arena much more easily.

Then again, that was to achieve that fabled AAAA rank, which isn't necessarily something I intend to do.Β  I just want to play through the game.Β  But I'm not really expecting any weapon to achieve crit status until Gen 2 unless I keep using Sigurd the way I've been using him (yes, I already started my playthrough, though only the prologue so I'm not actually at a point where I have to concern myself with pairings).

And I would prefer if the discussion could be kept to just the pairings.Β  I know I kind of assisted in the derailment of the thread, but let's try to get back on track.

I think I've come to a final decision for the last three.Β  I'll probably go with:

• Lachesis x Naoise
  • Sylvia x Nobody
    and
  • Tailtiu x Levin

For the first pairing, I feel as much as her with Finn would feel right, I would lose too much in the process.Β  I know I could always hand some lances over to Fee, but then what of poor Delmud?Β  He'll start with almostΒ nothing.Β  Naoise isn't one of the best units in the game, but he'll definitely help Delmud on his way.

For the second, I just really want to try out the 2nd Gen subs, and this pair is my best opportunity.Β  The more I think about it, the more I realize that Bargain might be an utterly useless skill for Lene since she should only ever need the cavalier rings.Β  Also figure the biggest fault in this would be Laylea's initial lack of the cavalier rings (that's what I call the leg and knight rings), but with the help of a thief (who might be well-funded with Holyn the Arena Destroyer as her dad) she should be able to afford them.Β  Charlot/Coirpre honestly didn't factor too much into this since they're late game units, but Charlot's easier to level and comes with a neat little staff unique to him.

And for the last one, it was really tough.Β  I wanted to do Tailtiu x Lex, but I figure a gimmick such as Vantage!Wrath at the cost of the typical mage abilities is too much of a risk and could potentially bog down my LP.Β  So instead Arthur and Tine will rip and tear the enemy with their Holsety-Tornado combo.Β  And I just like the sound of Tornado Tine; sounds like someone who'd go up against Macho Man Randy Savage.

If anyone wants to convince me to go with any other options, go ahead and speak your piece.Β  But right now, I think I'm pretty set.Β  I will also accept suggestions on 2nd Gen pairings, though this will obviously not be as gameplay-oriented an issue and I only promise that I'll consider the suggestions.

4 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

For the second, I just really want to try out the 2nd Gen subs, and this pair is my best opportunity.Β  The more I think about it, the more I realize that Bargain might be an utterly useless skill for Lene since she should only ever need the cavalier rings.Β  Also figure the biggest fault in this would be Laylea's initial lack of the cavalier rings (that's what I call the leg and knight rings), but with the help of a thief (who might be well-funded with Holyn the Arena Destroyer as her dad) she should be able to afford them.Β  Charlot/Coirpre honestly didn't factor too much into this since they're late game units, but Charlot's easier to level and comes with a neat little staff unique to him.

And for the last one, it was really tough.Β  I wanted to do Tailtiu x Lex, but I figure a gimmick such as Vantage!Wrath at the cost of the typical mage abilities is too much of a risk and could potentially bog down my LP.Β  So instead Arthur and Tine will rip and tear the enemy with their Holsety-Tornado combo.Β  And I just like the sound of Tornado Tine; sounds like someone who'd go up against Macho Man Randy Savage.

Bargain is definitely a better skill for Coirpre instead of Lene, if I failed to mention that earlier.

For Laylea, there's other strategies to helping her getting the money for the rings:

• Even in the chapter you get her, throw her ass in the arena- she won't make much, but she'll get some. When Ch.8 starts, throw her ass in again. Then have a thief pour some money onto her. I was able to get her the Leg Ring when CH8 started.
  • If you're fast enough in CH7 and recruit Laylea early enough, you could have her fall in love with Ares. They don't need a lot of turns to fall in love, since they do have the highest love base in the game. If you want to be fast, you could exploit the jealousy system and have Laylea steal love points from Patty and Lana.
  • You could also sell the Barrier Sword too. Judging by your pairings, Fee may be a good candidate for Res tanking.

Β 

AND YES TORNADO TINE COMING TO TOWN!

2 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

AND YES TORNADO TINE COMING TO TOWN!

OOOOHHHHH YEEEEEEAH, BROOOOOOOTHEEERRRRRRRR!!!Β  COME ON DOWN TO THE SUPER SLAM AND WATCH TORNADO TINE RRRRRIIIIP N' TEEEEEAAAAAARRRRRRRR!!!Β  DON'T MISS HER FATAL MATCH UP WITH DOOM AND BLUME, ONLY THIS SUMMER AT THEΒ SUPER SLAM!!!

2 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:
  • Even in the chapter you get her, throw her ass in the arena- she won't make much, but she'll get some. When Ch.8 starts, throw her ass in again. Then have a thief pour some money onto her. I was able to get her the Leg Ring when CH8 started.
  • If you're fast enough in CH7 and recruit Laylea early enough, you could have her fall in love with Ares. They don't need a lot of turns to fall in love, since they do have the highest love base in the game. If you want to be fast, you could exploit the jealousy system and have Laylea steal love points from Patty and Lana.
  • You could also sell the Barrier Sword too. Judging by your pairings, Fee may be a good candidate for Res tanking.

And then there's always handing the villages over to her.Β  Though for the sake of expediency, I'd at least like her to get the leg ring first so that she can keep up with everyone, and I'd like that to happen as soon as before the end of Chapter 7 if I can manage.

Β 

Anyway, I didΒ attemptΒ to do some recording for the LP I mentioned in the OP, but scrapped it 'cuz I realized how tedious arena grinding can be.Β  Yeah no, I'm not showing all of that nonsense, even for the sake of demonstration.

This is relevant because I mention this thread in it.Β  And I also mentioned people in the thread, but realized that I should maybe ask permission first.Β  Though I think I'll honestly just stick to mentioning the thread and linking it, and just give a general thank you to those who contributed with suggestions.Β  In any event, I'm re-recording that part to just be the opening narration/dialogue and then me actually taking on the map.

12 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I think I've come to a final decision for the last three.Β  I'll probably go with:

• Lachesis x Naoise
  • Sylvia x Nobody
    and
  • Tailtiu x Levin

For the first pairing, I feel as much as her with Finn would feel right, I would lose too much in the process.Β  I know I could always hand some lances over to Fee, but then what of poor Delmud?Β  He'll start with almostΒ nothing.Β  Naoise isn't one of the best units in the game, but he'll definitely help Delmud on his way.

Defender sword + Shield ring is actually the best items combo you can give to Noish/Delmud, and the most proper one considering their role.

that will help them a lot by leveling in the arenas, and will make Delmud a true hybrid tank/support unit from early to late game chapters. you simply can't go wrong with that build.

usually i do like this:

- have Laylea visit all the villages in chapter 7 after Leaf&company have finished dealing with the enemy army. you get money + Barrier sword;

- sell the Barrier sword to Fee, so that she can become the bane of mages. try to do arenas and trade money with thiefs when you can;

- let her fall in love with Aless. he'll be able to trade her money earlier, plus canon pairing right there;

- buy the Leg ring whenever you can. Knight ring is helpful too, but not really necessary.

If anyone wants to convince me to go with any other options, go ahead and speak your piece.Β  But right now, I think I'm pretty set.Β  I will also accept suggestions on 2nd Gen pairings, though this will obviously not be as gameplay-oriented an issue and I only promise that I'll consider the suggestions.

well, that's your choice. keep in mind that they'll level up slower without Elite/Paragon from Lex thou, unless you want to give them the Elite ring.

usually i give it toΒ Sigurd/Seliph for faster leveling+early promotion, and then it goes toΒ Leaf in order to break the game, but that's just me.

Β 

as for 2nd gen pairings:

- Seliph x Mana would be canon, otherwise it goes with personal preference. you could eventually just leave Seliph by himself, or abuse a certain mechanic if you want to try your luck with a certain pairing, althou it wouldn't be really worth it due to different unit type, plus story development;

- Delmud x Lana is quite common, althou it's not easy to manage due to different unit type;

- Arthur x Fee is canon as well, althou their roles are different before and after promotion, so usually they won't be able to stay together much;

- Leaf x Nanna would be the best due to good sinergy between their promoted classes, plus canon pair;

- Aless x Laylea/Lene is another canon pair, and it's perfect when she gets the Leg ring. even better withΒ Laylea stats-wise due to Charisma;

- Johalva/Johan x Lakche is yet another canon pair, however Johalva would be better in this case due to both units being on foot, wich meansΒ they can actually keep up with each other when moving around. also worth mentioning, you will get the Resire tome( HP drain )on Yuria instead of Aura, should you decide to conquer the other castle;

- Shanan/Skasaher x Patty is pretty common, however considering their stats, Patty will mostly likely be left behind to mind her own business while fighting brigands attacking villages.Β maybe Shanan x Patty could be canon, but i'm not entirely sure;

- Sety x Tinny for obvious reasons:Β they can keep up with each other, and Sety can eventually heal her if the situation gets ugly.

Edited by Fenreir

9 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

OOOOHHHHH YEEEEEEAH, BROOOOOOOTHEEERRRRRRRR!!!Β  COME ON DOWN TO THE SUPER SLAM AND WATCH TORNADO TINE RRRRRIIIIP N' TEEEEEAAAAAARRRRRRRR!!!Β  DON'T MISS HER FATAL MATCH UP WITH DOOM AND BLUME, ONLY THIS SUMMER AT THEΒ SUPER SLAM!!!

This is relevant because I mention this thread in it.Β  And I also mentioned people in the thread, but realized that I should maybe ask permission first.Β  Though I think I'll honestly just stick to mentioning the thread and linking it, and just give a general thank you to those who contributed with suggestions.Β  In any event, I'm re-recording that part to just be the opening narration/dialogue and then me actually taking on the map.

I'm putting my tickets on Tornado Tine.

I'm OK with being referenced/name-dropped/etc, my YouTube name is different from SF name anyways.

7 hours ago, Fenreir said:

as for 2nd gen pairings:

- Seliph x Mana would be canon, otherwise it goes with personal preference. you could eventually just leave Seliph by himself, or abuse a certain mechanic if you want to try your luck with a certain pairing, althou it wouldn't be really worth it due to different unit type, plus story development;

- Delmud x Lana is quite common, althou it's not easy to manage due to different unit type;

Mana and Lana can't exist in the same playthrough, though; and since we're pairing Adean, Mana's gonna be the one that doesn't exist.

I don't think "canon pairing" has any meaning for Seliph since some sources would indicate that him x Julia is canon, which is obviously a pairing that isn't possible in-game without exploits.Β  But regardless, I think I'll go with Seliph x Lana.Β  I don't know, I just think it's one of the sweetest 2nd Gen pairs, and I like the idea of their families continuing to be close-knit (since Sigurd was good friends with Adean before he was put to the fire).

7 hours ago, Fenreir said:

- Johalva/Johan x Lakche is yet another canon pair, however Johalva would be better in this case due to both units being on foot, wich meansΒ they can actually keep up with each other when moving around. also worth mentioning, you will get the Resire tome( HP drain )on Yuria instead of Aura, should you decide to conquer the other castle;

I've been planning to get Johalva this time around.Β  And I might actually very well pair him with Larcei.Β  From what I've seen, Johalva is less infuriating around Larcei than Johan is - Johan is like a flanderized Sain that is somehow irritating and dickish instead of endearingly funny.

I think even though I went with Johan the first playthrough, I obtained Resire anyway by letting the enemy take Isaac Castle so that I could take it back.Β  Because yeah, HP drain's much better for Julia than an unwieldy tome that does a bit more damage at the cost of making her more susceptible to getting doubled.

5 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

I'm putting my tickets on Tornado Tine.

You'll never see a scene quite like Tornado Tine suplexing Hellfire Hilda, let me tell you.

Now IΒ haveΒ to make her into one of the best units in the game.Β  She'll be a tag team duo alongside Doctor Thunder, AKA Arthur.Β  TheΒ cream of the crop, as Macho Man would call them.

I don't think "canon pairing" has any meaning for Seliph since some sources would indicate that him x Julia is canon, which is obviously a pairing that isn't possible in-game without exploits.Β  But regardless, I think I'll go with Seliph x Lana.Β  I don't know, I just think it's one of the sweetest 2nd Gen pairs, and I like the idea of their families continuing to be close-knit (since Sigurd was good friends with Adean before he was put to the fire).

by canon i meant any kind of relationship that involves extra conversations, wich can eventually lead to further background stories unveiled, some of wich are unique on their own( Holyn x Ira ).

sadly, there's also units like Altenna for example that are not meant to be together with someone else, so with these limitationsΒ you can't actually please everyone.

it's not like you have to put together everyone at all costs anyway.Β it always depends on what kind of bonds and unit builds you want to have in 1st/2nd generation.

I've been planning to get Johalva this time around.Β  And I might actually very well pair him with Larcei.Β  From what I've seen, Johalva is less infuriating around Larcei than Johan is - Johan is like a flanderized Sain that is somehow irritating and dickish instead of endearingly funny.

I think even though I went with Johan the first playthrough, I obtained Resire anyway by letting the enemy take Isaac Castle so that I could take it back.Β  Because yeah, HP drain's much better for Julia than an unwieldy tome that does a bit more damage at the cost of making her more susceptible to getting doubled.

Johalva is actually a cool guy.Β he didn't even want to take part into the children kidnapping to begin with, and he tries to redeem himself by letting his army help you out against his brother.

Johan, on the other hand, looks just like a terrible womanizer that couldn't care less about anything else except for Larcei. i wouldn't have taken him in Seliph's side in any case, even if thatΒ meant loosing an item.

also, Johalva + Hero axe + Pursuit ring is a beast.

as for Resire, beside increasing survival chances, i think it should also negate the effect of Great Shield, but i'm not entirely sure.

You'll never see a scene quite like Tornado Tine suplexing Hellfire Hilda, let me tell you.

Now IΒ haveΒ to make her into one of the best units in the game.Β  She'll be a tag team duo alongside Doctor Thunder, AKA Arthur.Β  TheΒ cream of the crop, as Macho Man would call them.

Β 

allow me a reminder, just for the sake of it:

Class HP Str Mag Skl Spd Lck Def Mdf
Master Knight 80 27 22 27 27 30 27 22

Β 

Class Swd Lnce Axe Bow Fire Thdr Wind Light Dark Staff
Master Knight A A A A A A A C – A

Β 

because you know, in case you'll have high level Thunder and Wind spells taken, there's always someone else that could very well use either Light tomes or Fire tomes.

and that someone will be critting like there's no tomorrow. i know because i've seen it with my own eyes.

Edited by Fenreir

55 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

as for Resire, beside increasing survival chances, i think it should also negate the effect of Great Shield, but i'm not entirely sure.

It does negate Great Shield/Pavise, which is great for arena battles since so many enemies in the high ranking Arena stages are Generals and Barons.

Also would love to point out the fact that you fight both a Queen and an Emperor in the Arena for some reason.Β  Maybe the Arena actually is like a wrestling ring and all the fighters are just caricatures.Β Β Sounds like home for Tornado Tine.

59 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

it's not like you have to put together everyone at all costs anyway.Β it always depends on what kind of bonds and unit builds you want to have in 1st/2nd generation.

That's partly why I try to emphasize that I may not heed 2nd Gen recommendations.Β  Particularly in the 2nd Generation, there's not much benefit to units getting paired up besides the fact that they'll be able to trade money and might share conversations that will boost one-another's stats.

One of the things I don't want to be is one of those crowd-pleasure types of LPers/streamers that either bases every single decision of their daily gaming lives on what chat says or talks about every damn thing in the world except the frickin' game they're playing.Β  IΒ hateΒ those kinds of content creators.Β  So some of the things I'll do will deviate from what people here have suggested me to do.Β  Not the 1st Gen pairings, those are sticking to the end.Β  But stuff like "give the Skill Ring to x unit".Β  Do people want to watch me do all the things they do?Β  Because I wouldn't want to watch someone play a game the same way I do, at least not unless it is an efficiency run because then it makes me feel smart that I did some of the same things as someone who is actually good at the game.

1 hour ago, Fenreir said:

Johalva is actually a cool guy.Β he didn't even want to take part into the children kidnapping to begin with, and he tries to redeem himself by letting his army help you out against his brother.

Johan, on the other hand, looks just like a terrible womanizer that couldn't care less about anything else except for Larcei. i wouldn't have taken him in Seliph's side in any case, even if thatΒ meant loosing an item.

Thing is, I thought I would've like Johan.Β  I thought he'd be a flamboyant flirt with a love for poetry.Β  But then I saw a run of Genealogy where the guy playing it showed all of the conversations he and Johalva had in Chapter 6, and I realized that Johan is just a shallow dick whose only reason for betraying his family and fighting his brother is his crush for a girl who finds him gross.Β  Granted it's also stupid when Johalva gets mad about Larcei speaking to Johan, but at least they make it seem like the reason Johalva betrays his father and brothers is because his talk with Larcei made him realize just how fed up he is with all the evils that he's had to accept, while Johan's sole reason is just a petty crush.

And then there's this...

Fire%20Emblem%20-%20Seisen%20no%20Keifu170.png

He just falls apart if he's forced to fight Larcei, he can't even keep his words in the text box.

You can't do that to a man, man.Β  It's a fate worse than death.

On 1/5/2019 at 11:11 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

The soldier eyes on Charlot's art! They are worth far more than a thumbnail.

Β 

I think that is almost intentional regarding inheritance. Lex can't pass down weapons, and he doesn't give Pursuit, two big problems, but Paragon + huge Def and good Str help to compensate for these faults.Β 

It's really great. The artist really outdid themselves with Charlot's art.

3 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Omg now I can't wait til you get Tine. She's a star in the making.

7 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

That's partly why I try to emphasize that I may not heed 2nd Gen recommendations.Β  Particularly in the 2nd Generation, there's not much benefit to units getting paired up besides the fact that they'll be able to trade money and might share conversations that will boost one-another's stats.

that's pretty much the whole point of pairings in 2nd generation.

you would probably get more stats-boosts throu the game from family members thou, at least that's what i've seen happening the most in 2nd generation.

there's always the conversations update after taking any castle, so even if it may be boring checking every unit everytime, it's always wise to do so for extra stats and items.

7 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

One of the things I don't want to be is one of those crowd-pleasure types of LPers/streamers that either bases every single decision of their daily gaming lives on what chat says or talks about every damn thing in the world except the frickin' game they're playing.Β  IΒ hateΒ those kinds of content creators.Β  So some of the things I'll do will deviate from what people here have suggested me to do.Β  Not the 1st Gen pairings, those are sticking to the end.Β  But stuff like "give the Skill Ring to x unit".Β  Do people want to watch me do all the things they do?Β  Because I wouldn't want to watch someone play a game the same way I do, at least not unless it is an efficiency run because then it makes me feel smart that I did some of the same things as someone who is actually good at the game.

same here, i really can't stand that kind of stuff. i'm fine with getting suggestions once in a while, that's ok, but always letting others playΒ your game, not so much. that ain't fun for me.

beside, i don't like copy cats at all, so i would rather prefer to not have someone else play the same way i do, and let them play/learn/improve by themself.

that's also why i try to give as much infos as possible about different builds, especially when they involve versatile units.

i'm not the kind of "meta" guy that will tell you "nope, you must use this, this and that".Β i'd rather show people what they can actually do with their units just for the sake of sharing knowledge, and then let them choose on their own wich route to take.

Β 

Β 

that actually gave me an idea.

i'll make a topic about it once i gather enough data to share with both new players and veterans alike,Β so that people can eventually come up with new ideas.

I don't know if it's too late to throw my hat in the ring, but I'd like to suggest my favorite FE4 pairing of Ayra x Jamke. This pairing gives great bases and growths (Minor Od blood fixes Jamke's lackluster skill growth) and its really easy to accomplish since Jamke and Ayra have the same movement as well. If you're worried about inheritance, you can just have Jamke kill Chagall for the Silver Blade (Super easy) and then he keeps it in his inventory for as long as you want. You can then give the rest of his equipment to Lester's dad at the end of Ch 5 to maximize Killer Bow uses. Additionally, Ayra x Jamke gives Larcei and Ulster an absolutely monstrous skill combination of Pursuit, Adept, Charge, and Astra (Every multi-hit skill in the game).Β 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say all those pairings youΒ listed are the best, except maybe Ayra-Lex. I've played FE4 three times, pairing Ayra with Lex, Noish, and Holyn. All three have their quirks, Lex giving the kids paragon, Noish giving them good skills, and Holyn giving them major Od blood. The worst of these is Holyn in my opinion, because even though having them able to use Balmung sounds cool, they already have great skill and speed stats,Β and Shannan needs the sword more than them. Then between Noish and Lex I'd say it'sΒ a tie. Gaining double EXP is enough to match the power of critical and accost, so it's really up to you on this. I think Lex is easier to pair with Ayra compared to Noish, though, and Noish goes really well with BriggidΒ as well.

1 hour ago, Leif Faris Claus said:

I'd say all those pairings youΒ listed are the best, except maybe Ayra-Lex. I've played FE4 three times, pairing Ayra with Lex, Noish, and Holyn. All three have their quirks, Lex giving the kids paragon, Noish giving them good skills, and Holyn giving them major Od blood. The worst of these is Holyn in my opinion, because even though having them able to use Balmung sounds cool, they already have great skill and speed stats,Β and Shannan needs the sword more than them. Then between Noish and Lex I'd say it'sΒ a tie. Gaining double EXP is enough to match the power of critical and accost, so it's really up to you on this. I think Lex is easier to pair with Ayra compared to Noish, though, and Noish goes really well with BriggidΒ as well.

it also depends on what the player wants from those pairings.

in terms of grow rates, Holyn and Lex would be the best choice.Β the first for major Odo Blood and dedicated sword fighter stats, the second for a slightly more tanky build+Paragon for faster leveling up.

in terms of story backgrounds, HolynΒ will reveal his past only to Ayra, and as far as i know it doesn't happen with any other woman from 1st generation.

in terms of skills, Noish and Lex would be the top. having both Astra from Ayra and Luna from Holyn would be a waste in this case, and there's other characters like Patty that could benefit from Luna way more.

however, considering that the skill Critical becomes trivial once you manage to unlock a weapon's critical chance after reaching 50 kills, i'd say Lex would be better in this case due to Vantage giving better survival chances againstΒ enemies. besides, with Astra they won't need Charge that much anyway. Lex can also give Ayra a Hero sword, just like Holyn.

long story short: Holyn for story, Lex for everything else.

Edited by Fenreir

@Leif Faris ClausΒ I'm aware that Arden x Ayra is essentially a watered down Lex x Ayra.Β  But I already did Lex x Ayra before and wanted to try something at least a little different for my LP.

Also, unless you're using glitches or hacks (which I don't think I'll be doing), Shannan is the only unit that can use Balmung, since it can't be sold to the pawn shopΒ in normal gameplay.

23 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

@Leif Faris ClausΒ I'm aware that Arden x Ayra is essentially a watered down Lex x Ayra.Β  But I already did Lex x Ayra before and wanted to try something at least a little different for my LP.

Also, unless you're using glitches or hacks (which I don't think I'll be doing), Shannan is the only unit that can use Balmung, since it can't be sold to the pawn shopΒ in normal gameplay.

Oh, didn't know that sinceΒ I've never actually tried selling a holy weapon before. Thanks for the info though!