Need better GBA-style portraits for my game

Von Ithipathachai

Hey there, everyone.  You may or may not be aware of my Sanctaea Chronicles game I'm working on in SRPG Studio.  It uses authentic GBA-style character portraits (right now at least), but there are a few characters I have whose portraits I'm not satisfied with having made them myself, namely Lee, Dougall, and Hippolyta.

Here are their respective portraits now:

dcwc7kp-a5b057f3-3813-495a-bcdf-6c1e21d0dcwc7l5-fa5f0476-0b46-4614-97ea-38eb1b1adcwc7ky-a97b1713-9a26-44bf-b32a-d4ce685c

And here's their concept art:

Spoiler

dcbibfo-402513fc-2578-4cfd-ad60-c1f76a8b

dcd1u25-fabb6b4a-b955-43cb-bf24-908a7ef9

dcix08a-d0e3c857-58df-478b-9103-97d32b8e

I'll point out the problems in case they aren't obvious:

• Lee's (Guy's) head looks rather strange on Legault's big neck.
  • Dougall's hair is too short, but I'm not sure how to make it longer.
  • Hippolyta ...I shouldn't need to explain.  I have no idea how to do a good-looking portrait for her, so all she has right now is a lazily recolored Echidna portrait.

In addition to these, I also need a portrait of Suleiman, an antagonist character who I never made concept art for.  Anything will do as long as it has gray hair and a beard, dark skin, and a turban with a jewel.

47 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:
  • Hippolyta ...I shouldn't need to explain.  I have no idea how to do a good-looking portrait for her, so all she has right now is a lazily recolored Echidna portrait.

In addition to these, I also need a portrait of Suleiman, an antagonist character who I never made concept art for.  Anything will do as long as it has gray hair and a beard, dark skin, and a turban with a jewel.

would these work as alternative versions? don't look at the colors for now, just the appearence:

Ursula.png hardin.gif

4 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

would these work as alternative versions? don't look at the colors for now, just the appearence:

Ursula.png hardin.gif

Hmm...  I might be able to edit those two long locks off of Ursula's hair, put her head on Echidna's body, and give her an eyepatch or other eye covering.  However, I can't use SNES-style portraits for splicing because they don't match up with the others.

I dunno.  I may end up ditching the turban altogether and just stick with dark skin, gray hair, and a beard.

3 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Hmm...  I might be able to edit those two long locks off of Ursula's hair, put her head on Echidna's body, and give her an eyepatch or other eye covering.  However, I can't use SNES-style portraits for splicing because they don't match up with the others.

I dunno.  I may end up ditching the turban altogether and just stick with dark skin, gray hair, and a beard.

there's always a way. i'm working on them at the moment, i'll post the results in few minutes.

1 minute ago, Fenreir said:

there's always a way. i'm working on them at the moment, i'll post the results in few minutes.

Oh!  Okay.  Good to hear.

Again, I'd prefer for Suleiman to use exclusively GBA parts like everyone else.

1 minute ago, Fenreir said:

for now, take a look at these and let me know what you think:

asdf1.png asdf2.png

Those look better.  Thanks!

As for Hippolyta, I was thinking of using Echidna's body for her because I'm starting to wonder if the whole dominatrix thing she has going on in her concept art might be a bit much, considering my stance is normally against excessive fanservice.  (Granted, Elma also has a lot of cleavage, but she should be the only other such character.)

Neck needs to be a little thinner. You might get better results cropping off Legault's entire neck and pasting someone else's neck (Guy's, probably) in its place. Also, Guy's frinds looks odd without the headband, I feel like it should flop a bit more.

As for the hair, it's... floating away from Bors' neck, which is odd. Perhaps try splicing someone else's hair onto the back of his neck?

2 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

As for Hippolyta, I was thinking of using Echidna's body for her because I'm starting to wonder if the whole dominatrix thing she has going on in her concept art might be a bit much, considering my stance is normally against excessive fanservice.  (Granted, Elma also has a lot of cleavage, but she should be the only other such character.)

well, faces can be swapped. the decision is yours to make. in any case, here's the last one:

asdf3.png

there's still the white background thou, you'll need to remove it eventually.

does she really really need an eye patch too?

23 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

i'll include an eye patch version too as little extra:

eye.png

i used the same colors of the dress, and there's still the white background to be removed.

I'll use it as a reference when I make my own version.  Thanks!