The lore of Awakening has Prequel and Sequel ideas begging to be used.

Spatha

Awakening has alot of intriguing backstory despite being "average" in terms of plot.

For starters:

1. The Ylissian Crusade: Even in the Plegia Arc, this backstory is mentioned very little if at all and this is the most interesting.

While the reason for the war may due to the hatred of the Exalt regarding the Grimleal but the present and future plots in Awakening hints that "perfect vessel" may be the reason for the war.

Chrom's father may heard that the perfect vessel for Grima has been born and seeing as the Grimleal never hides the fact they are an evil cult, wages a war to save the world.

Unfortunately, he has gone overboard regarding that he switched his mindset from "saving the world" to "kill all the Plegians" and died accomplishing nothing but the ruin of his own nation and the other.

He will be forever remembered as a monster, his own son Chrom clearly does so.

But in truth, he was a king who died fighting for the Religion he believed in, no matter the price. He knew Grima would end the world. So he fought for it. If it meant he would force farmers to fight as soldiers and die on the battlefield, so be it.

Robin's mother also deserves a mention. She may have been a similar person like Validar but she choose to reject that horrific fate bestowed upon her child.

She not only successfully escaped with Robin, her efforts to hide Robin from Validar and the Grimleal were so successful, Validar thought he would never find them.

I'm quite sure these two events may have even happened the same time. The Ylissian Crusade has so much potential as a prequel.

2. After Grima is dealt with. I'm quite sure both continents of Valm and Ylisse are experiencing a situation similar to Radiant Dawn. Plegia as a nation is no more as after Gangrel's defeat and Validar and Grimleal demise. Valm may have also experienced this after the collapse of Valmese Empire. There is alot of potential for a sequel in which someone takes advantage of the chaos ensues after Grima's death.

And if those naysayers say "They don't what more Archanea games"? May they should say that after that continent milked to death of it's stories, not before.

It certainly does have prequel potential but I would pick something else than Chrom's dad for a prequel. 

Instead I would focus on the destruction of Archenea and the formation of Ylisse. It would do a lot to explain how the current continent came to be, why Altea is suddenly part of the evil nation and why Altea, Gra, part of the ocean and Dolhr all became a big desert. It could even have two generation. The last Archenean emperor could be a wee bit distracted by all the filthy barbarians founding Ferox and invading the south. By doing this Ferox would get some backstory and become involved in the story. Eventually the emperor wins his war but he and the western half of the continent get obliterated by Grima. The Second generation would be about his son getting a Falchion upgrade, sealing Grima and founding a Ylisse. 

I don't think Ylisse has much potential for a sequel. There are no loose ends to tie up and no more stories to tell. Valm being so bland means there is hardly a suitable candidate to wreak havoc on that continent and pulling a new Valm villain out of no where would make it silly that he wasn't involved at all during Walhart reign. Plegia is only a little bit less bland than Valm and because of it there's not much they can do with that place either. The only real suitable scenario would be an invasion by future Jugdral since its on the same world as Archenea and thus Ylisse as well. 

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

It certainly does have prequel potential but I would pick something else than Chrom's dad for a prequel. 

Instead I would focus on the destruction of Archenea and the formation of Ylisse. It would do a lot to explain how the current continent came to be, why Altea is suddenly part of the evil nation and why Altea, Gra, part of the ocean and Dolhr all became a big desert. It could even have two generation. The last Archenean emperor could be a wee bit distracted by all the filthy barbarians founding Ferox and invading the south. By doing this Ferox would get some backstory and become involved in the story. Eventually the emperor wins his war but he and the western half of the continent get obliterated by Grima. The Second generation would be about his son getting a Falchion upgrade, sealing Grima and founding a Ylisse. 

I don't think Ylisse has much potential for a sequel. There are no loose ends to tie up and no more stories to tell. Valm being so bland means there is hardly a suitable candidate to wreak havoc on that continent and pulling a new Valm villain out of no where would make it silly that he wasn't involved at all during Walhart reign. Plegia is only a little bit less bland than Valm and because of it there's not much they can do with that place either. The only real suitable scenario would be an invasion by future Jugdral since its on the same world as Archenea and thus Ylisse as well. 

i agree with you on the whole prequal thing, and that idea especially seems interesting. Ive always felt the connection between ol archanea and ylisse and plegia was forced and unnecessary but if its going to be there then getting to see how it came about might make for an interesting story and game. a very dark one but hey judgral pulled it off.

as for sequal potential.. well im inclined to agree with you an idea of sorts did pop into my head in regards for a sequel.

set almost twenty years out in the good timeline (16 or 18 maybe), past lucina is no longer a plot device and is now a young women markedly different from her future self, being rather brash and confident and having an overactive imagination from too many sweets and tales of murder dragons and noble heroes. she wants to be special dammit, and someone like frederick considers her to be a bit/quite the brat at times. none the less she is the exalt to be, and so chrom decides to put her to work doing something that he felt helped him mature, and thats running the shepards or shepards like organization. past Lucinas like, fuck yeah adventure, and so after meeting the current iteration of the shepards group including the customizable avatar for this adventure (no relation to robin) and a mysterious paladin lady who wears a mask (future lucina playing the role of oifey), and just making the worst impression, things begin to kick off. after some nice bandit murdering and even a brief skirmish with regna ferox and one of its new surprisingly aggressive khans that will allude to a conflict with regna later in the game, past lucina begins to find herself in the middle of a spiraling conspiracy to revive a dark dragon and well everyone initially assumes its grimna (its not as a cameo robin will later point that he destroyed grimna for good) it turns out the plots actually to revive the grandaddy of all fe dragon villains Medeus and actually plunge the world into darkness this time with his shadow dragon powers. past lucinas character arc would mostly revolve around growing up and maturing into a responsible figure worthy of being a legendary hero like she always wanted, and a figure disguised future lucina isn't embarrassed to be associated with, with the metaphorical (and maybe sometimes literal) echoes of marths own journey from the distant past helping her along the way.

things dont go swimmingly for her unfortunately since shes not very good at the whole heroing thing at first, and the death of past lucinas parents happens since dead fe parents is so in vogue and in this case i feel it would be surprisingly effective. Stuff gets blown up or killed good, a war with regna ferox happens (the aggressive khan having been particularly unhappy about how they basically spent a shit ton of lives and resources to help ylisse conquer valm and got jack shit for it, something thats been hitting the country hard till the current day and also hes just extremely aggressive, his behaviors both justifiable and irrational), and a revived medeus almost wins but gets smacked down by a heroic past lucina and stuffed back inside the dragons table because the mother fucker just wont die (darkness in peoples hearts and all that). past lucina has fully realized her character arc, and despite the grief takes up the job of becoming the new exalt. peace is back the coy little harlot that it is, and the game ends on a positive/optimistic note despite all that happened, triumph in the face of adversity and all that.

might not be perfect but it could be interesting enough.

• 1 month later...

An idea I heard for a sequel to Awakening is it being focused on Lucina. Starting from the bad future fighting Grima all the way to meeting Chrom in chapter 13. It can be a more elaborate version of the Future Past dlc and the first half of Awakening only focusing on her perspective alongside the other 2nd gen units. 

• 1 month later...

I always thought it would have been cool to see how the First Exalt defeated and sealed away Grima. Like a prequel sort of thing. In 'Shadows of Valentia', we see that Grima was locked away in the Thabes labyrinth behind the shield seal of flames. But Grima somehow gets out eventually. So how? Did Grima just get so powerful that they could simply break the seal? Did some foolish thief sneak into the labyrinth and mistake it for treasure and steal it, releasing Grima into the world? And how did that shield get into the hands of the Yllisians?  How did the person who became the First Exalt use it to seal Grima away again? Is this when the Grimleal were formed? I want to know darn it! XD

Edited by A random Villager
Grammar correcting