Beast units discussion/speculation thread

SuperNova125

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And if you combine their votes, Ranulf is barely below Tibarn. That kind of surprises me though, I always figured Ranulf was more liked.

Tibarn may have gotten a boost from being a bird.  Adding Ranulf could have meant adding just beast laguz, not bird laguz along with them, but Tibarn guarantees both.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Othin said:

Tibarn may have gotten a boost from being a bird.  Adding Ranulf could have meant adding just beast laguz, not bird laguz along with them, but Tibarn guarantees both.

Maybe, yeah.

As much as I want Jill and Haar on the RD banner, I’m expecting it to be all Laguz with either Reyson and Rafiel or Naesala and Caineghis.

Side note, if they add the Goldman dragons like Kurthnaga, Nasir, and Ena, will they have them act like the dragon units that are already in the game or the newly introduced beast units?

I'm fully confident that the banner will be only the royals and no refreshers. So Tibarn (Red), Nailah (Blue), Naesala (Green), Skrimir (Colorless). 

This is with the assumption of a 4 person banner. If one of them, Naesala, is GHB i bet on 2 greems instead of colorless.

I also believe that the transformation contidion will vary between weapons as a way to reference how each laguz had it own starting gauge.

48 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And if you combine their votes, Ranulf is barely below Tibarn. That kind of surprises me though, I always figured Ranulf was more liked.

That list right there proves my point. 

They have Tibarn on there (the overall most popular one) and Nailah (farther down the list for the mentioned Laguz but well ahead a good chunk of the unlisted ones). If Ranulf is the second most popular laguz overall, the most intelligent decision would be to save him for later. With this banner Tibarn is the highlight while Nailah is "known but not a banner selling unit" based on that ranking. 

That list didn't have every Laguz there but I'd be fairly confident that means the other ones are pretty far down. Assuming IS keeps the Laguz together or with other Tellius units (and probably have the Awakening/Fates ones on Awakening/Fates banners like always), Ranulf should be the highlight of a different banner. And then probably Lethe being the highlight of a third banner. None of the other Laguz are highlight level of popular. You make money by making sure a highlight unit is on each banner, but not with other highlight units unless they're alts. 

1 minute ago, TheNiddo said:

That list right there proves my point. 

They have Tibarn on there (the overall most popular one) and Nailah (farther down the list for the mentioned Laguz but well ahead a good chunk of the unlisted ones). If Ranulf is the second most popular laguz overall, the most intelligent decision would be to save him for later. With this banner Tibarn is the highlight while Nailah is "known but not a banner selling unit" based on that ranking. 

That list didn't have every Laguz there but I'd be fairly confident that means the other ones are pretty far down. Assuming IS keeps the Laguz together or with other Tellius units (and probably have the Awakening/Fates ones on Awakening/Fates banners like always), Ranulf should be the highlight of a different banner. And then probably Lethe being the highlight of a third banner. None of the other Laguz are highlight level of popular. You make money by making sure a highlight unit is on each banner, but not with other highlight units unless they're alts. 

Sorry, but I cannot agree at all. Selkie was actually the most voted beast unit, so she'd be saved for later if this is laguz only right now. And that lets Ranulf be a perfectly reasonable choice for this one.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sorry, but I cannot agree at all. Selkie was actually the most voted beast unit, so she'd be saved for later if this is laguz only right now. And that lets Ranulf be a perfectly reasonable choice for this one.

I think he means strictly in terms of Tellius beasts

1 minute ago, Gregster101 said:

I think he means strictly in terms of Tellius beasts

He should've said that then. I still think it wouldn't be utterly terrible for Ranulf to be on this banner.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

He should've said that then. I still think it wouldn't be utterly terrible for Ranulf to be on this banner.

I'd be down for Ranulf being on this banner, but I'm expecting him to be saved for later in a PoR banner

2 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

I'd be down for Ranulf being on this banner, but I'm expecting him to be saved for later in a PoR banner

Ranulf was more important and notable in RD though, so he'd make more sense in an RD banner.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Ranulf would most likely appear on a Path of Radiance Laguz banner. This new one appears to be mostly Radiant Dawn, and Ranulf takes a bit of a back seat in that game. Plus he isn't a royal, and the two units we've seen of it leads me to think that this first Laguz banner is going to feature only royals. While the Laguz royals might not be the most popular, they are all seen as pretty powerful, so then IS can probably jack up their stats or give them crazy new personal skills and we mostly won't bat an eye, and then it would make Laguz units seem better than they probably are.

I'm pretty confident in saying that Cainages (or however you spell it) is going to serve as our Beast Tribe laguz unit. Tibarn is already a strong figure head, and much as it is a slightly scummy practice, it doesn't make much sense to put multiple figureheads on a banner unless it's a seasonal. Think about it like a business-person, if you put two people of a similar nature on one banner, then if you have another banner that's very like the first one, you're down a unit that could drive sales on that one, and people will likely spend less money since they'll think "well, I didn't get everyone I wanted, but I've already put $15 on this one banner so I shouldn't put any more". If a person puts $15 into one banner with two figure heads, then they'd probably put $10 onto two banners that had those two figureheads split. It's pure business sense for why they most likely wouldn't put Ranulf on this banner.

9 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

Ranulf would most likely appear on a Path of Radiance Laguz banner. This new one appears to be mostly Radiant Dawn, and Ranulf takes a bit of a back seat in that game. Plus he isn't a royal, and the two units we've seen of it leads me to think that this first Laguz banner is going to feature only royals. While the Laguz royals might not be the most popular, they are all seen as pretty powerful, so then IS can probably jack up their stats or give them crazy new personal skills and we mostly won't bat an eye, and then it would make Laguz units seem better than they probably are.

I'm pretty confident in saying that Cainages (or however you spell it) is going to serve as our Beast Tribe laguz unit. Tibarn is already a strong figure head, and much as it is a slightly scummy practice, it doesn't make much sense to put multiple figureheads on a banner unless it's a seasonal. Think about it like a business-person, if you put two people of a similar nature on one banner, then if you have another banner that's very like the first one, you're down a unit that could drive sales on that one, and people will likely spend less money since they'll think "well, I didn't get everyone I wanted, but I've already put $15 on this one banner so I shouldn't put any more". If a person puts $15 into one banner with two figure heads, then they'd probably put $10 onto two banners that had those two figureheads split. It's pure business sense for why they most likely wouldn't put Ranulf on this banner.

Burning through a bunch of royals right away sounds even more wasteful than burning through a bunch of popular laguz right away, I'd say. And they can't make later laguz less powerful than the ones here if they want the later ones to sell.

Ranulf's role in RD was plenty big, and he certainly had a bigger gameplay role than in PoR, getting near-Lord treatment within Ike's party at times.

1 minute ago, Othin said:

Burning through a bunch of royals right away sounds even more wasteful than burning through a bunch of popular laguz right away, I'd say. And they can't make later laguz less powerful than the ones here if they want the later ones to sell.

Ranulf's role in RD was plenty big, and he certainly had a bigger gameplay role than in PoR, getting near-Lord treatment within Ike's party at times.

It would, except most of the other laguz royals are less popular as shown with the statistics you posted earlier. IS normally sticks to similar unit themes, so the Laguz royals in RD is a pretty big theme to start out on.

Ranulf's role really wasn't that big, the only things he really did was flirt/explain things to Ike, and yell at Skrimir for being an idiot. Like, sure he had some more story presence than say, most of the Dawn Brigade, but that really isn't much to say. From what I recall, he was forced for two painful chapters in which he was a terrible unit, and then could thankfully be benched, he was much more memorable in Path of Radiance since he was actually good in that game.

15 minutes ago, Othin said:

This, yeah. Unlike in PoR, Ranulf was playable for more chapters, and was basically a commander alongside Ike. He also gave gameovers if you lost him in certain chapters, and you also were required to use him along with Ike in one of them where the objective was to have them both arrive.

Ranulf had less presence and playable chapters in PoR. He makes the most sense as an RD banner unit.

I also agree that it doesn't seem logical to go through a bunch of laguz royals right away.

Edited by Anacybele

I really hope Reyson gets added alongside Tibarn. Yes, I know a lot of people don't think it's likely they'll add refreshers so soon, but it'd make sense here considering the strong story relation between the two. I also kind of selfishly want him right now, because I've got the orbs saved up. If he won't appear now, it means a guessing game of when he could show up. I just know they'll hit me with him right after I throw all my orbs at some other banner. So please get both my Tellius faves out of the way first and then I can relax.

I went ahead to read a lot about the whole mechanic to understand it. So I think that red green and blue are going to be attacking ones and colourless could be the herons (or any support based beast that might come along with a later title). They could all get weaker stats and a simple weak attack when untransformed and when transforming they will get the extra stats, movement and the weapon effect. Herons will have that simple attack but will have a base dance in the support. When transformed they will gain some stats, movement and when they dance they will give some bonuses depending on what their weapon says. A good idea would be to give them the ability to use healer specials, as they won't be seeing much combat anyway they will make good use of these easy to change support specials.

I think this first beast banner will be all heavy hitters from Radiant dawn.  Remember there are also the popular Fates/Awakening beast units in addition to all the Tellius ones.  If beast isn't every turn or activation is awkward/hard then they better be super broken and above all other units when transformed.  It seems like a hard thing to get right, I hope all this delay for their addition has been to carefully perfect how beasts will work in Heroes.

Since this is a specified Radiant Dawn banner, I wonder what Skrimir's odds of making it are. He's not he most popular but he's important for that game, so I'm hoping he makes it. Him and Tibarn on the same banner would be tough on my orbs.

We'll get a Forging Bonds to accompany this banner, but I don't see any TT or new GHB in our current schedule, so that probably means it's a four person banner. I wonder if they'll try to get as many different Laguz as possible; we've got one Hawk and one Wolf, so they might go for a Dragon and Raven.

Oh yeah, do you suppose the Tellius dragons will work like Laguz or like the Manaketes we've had up until this point?

Trailer on Thursday, probably. I can't wait that long, guys.

To be honest, I'd be happy with almost any combination.  Ranulf, Naesala, and Reyson seem likely choices.

Tiburn and Nailah already revealed.  I'm not sure if they're going to do any dragons, since they're similar to manaketes.  Lethe might get in simply because they don't believe in having more guys than girls anymore.

I wouldn't mind getting Lethe eventually, but getting her without Jill would be a crime.

1 minute ago, Othin said:

In exactly either 24 or 48 hours from now.

Good to know. I wonder who else is on the Tellius banner. It's not just a laguz exclusive right? It would be interesting to see a character like Shinon be on a banner like this.

1 minute ago, Dandy Druid said:

Good to know. I wonder who else is on the Tellius banner. It's not just a laguz exclusive right? It would be interesting to see a character like Shinon be on a banner like this.

It may or may not be laguz exclusive, no way to tell yet.