The SSB Ultimate Custom Special Project - Day 0, Interest Check

Jotari

How should we decide which characters to analyze?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How should we decide which characters to analyze?

• Move across the roster progressively
    • Use democracy to vote

I loved custom specials in SSB4, I didn't like how they were implemented or balanced in a lot of ways, but just the general idea of them I thought was fantastic. I think it's a great way of changing up a character and drawing in more of their powers and abilities from the source games. A lot of these characters have been in Smash Bros. for a very long time now and are missing some of their most important abilities. Let's fix that, if only in our imaginations. So the proposal is this, each day we focus on a new character and collectively come up with eight additional special moves (unique like Palutena's or derivative like most of the cast, the sky's the limit) for them. Those ideas will then be put here in OP and we move onto the next character. I was thinking we could either do it progressively starting with Mario and ending with Infernape, or we could vote on the characters we want to examine and get to the exciting ones first. I think it could be fun, any takers?

Edited by Jotari

Sounds like fun. It'll let us dish out our creative sides.

Moving across the roster progressively will take almost 2 1/2 months if we do a character a day, but it's more organized than democracy. Whatever works.

Sounds fun. Although admittedly I don't have SSBU. Nor anything of a super technical knowledge able to determine the exact number of frames each aspect of a move should have for perfect balancing.

Still, I'll chip in. If it is just the ideas (and why do we need to bother with the meta-minutiae if we aren't hacking up our own PM? As long as it ain't obviously broken.), I'm more than willing to help. For every character whose game I've played, and even some whose I haven't if I can find proper info online.

How would one move across the roster progressively? Use everyone's assigned number from U- everyone has one, right? Would that have a good balance of alteration between highs, lows, and in-betweens?

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sounds fun. Although admittedly I don't have SSBU. Nor anything of a super technical knowledge able to determine the exact number of frames each aspect of a move should have for perfect balancing.

Still, I'll chip in. If it is just the ideas (and why do we need to bother with the meta-minutiae if we aren't hacking up our own PM? As long as it ain't obviously broken.), I'm more than willing to help. For every character whose game I've played, and even some whose I haven't if I can find proper info online.

How would one move across the roster progressively? Use everyone's assigned number from U- everyone has one, right? Would that have a good balance of alteration between highs, lows, and in-betweens?

Yep, everyone has a number based on when they first joined Smash. If we do it that way it will mean taking quite a while to get to the new comers though.

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yep, everyone has a number based on when they first joined Smash. If we do it that way it will mean taking quite a while to get to the new comers though.

True. You could always type all the numbers into an online randomizer and see how that shuffles things. It might be annoying to people though doing it that way.

Or maybe some system that is a little arbitrary and complicated like:

1. Doing #1
  2. Then the last number (let us exclude Joker for now) 
  3. Then pick the median number 
  4. Then #2 
  5. Then last number -1 
  6. Then median number +1 or -1 
  7. Then no. 3
  8. Then last -2
  9. Then median +1 or -1, whichever wasn't done before.
  10. Then #3
  11. Then last -3
  12. Then median +2 or -2

And you see the pattern? It is a little confusing, but it'd continually alternate between, beginning, end, and middle.

But this is likely too much, and would turn off potential contributors.

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

True. You could always type all the numbers into an online randomizer and see how that shuffles things. It might be annoying to people though doing it that way.

Or maybe some system that is a little arbitrary and complicated like:

1. Doing #1
  2. Then the last number (let us exclude Joker for now) 
  3. Then pick the median number 
  4. Then #2 
  5. Then last number -1 
  6. Then median number +1 or -1 
  7. Then no. 3
  8. Then last -2
  9. Then median +1 or -1, whichever wasn't done before.
  10. Then #3
  11. Then last -3
  12. Then median +2 or -2

And you see the pattern? It is a little confusing, but it'd continually alternate between, beginning, end, and middle.

But this is likely too much, and would turn off potential contributors.

Or simply a reversed order so we do Mario last.