What games do you suggest?

Sub Zero

I've been really bored recently...and I don't have any games to cure my boredom...any suggestions?

(RPGS, Shooters and Strategy games only!) (Mainly games from the SNES era)

You've put some rather difficult limitations to work with, but have you given Star Fox a shot? It's technically a shooter.

I'll of course recommend Genealogy of the Holy War. I wouldn't quite look into Thracia 776 yet, at least not until the Project Exile patch comes out in April.

Super Castlevania IV is also a stellar game, so if that interests you at all, give it a shot.

15 hours ago, indigoceans said:

You've put some rather difficult limitations to work with, but have you given Star Fox a shot? It's technically a shooter.

I'll of course recommend Genealogy of the Holy War. I wouldn't quite look into Thracia 776 yet, at least not until the Project Exile patch comes out in April.

Super Castlevania IV is also a stellar game, so if that interests you at all, give it a shot.

Sorry, I don't know why I said mainly SNES games..I do have a 360 and the Xbox One, So you can give me suggestions from those consoles if you want.

32 minutes ago, Yuni said:

Sorry, I don't know why I said mainly SNES games..I do have a 360 and the Xbox One, So you can give me suggestions from those consoles if you want.

I believe Valkyria Chronicles 4 is available on the Xbox One. 

…Also; you have an Xbox 360 that still works?! You wouldn't happen to have a rabbit's foot or four-leaf clover, would you?

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

I believe Valkyria Chronicles 4 is available on the Xbox One. 

…Also; you have an Xbox 360 that still works?! You wouldn't happen to have a rabbit's foot or four-leaf clover, would you?

My 8 year old 360 still works! ;3 

Believe it or not, I do have a rabbit's foot.

20 minutes ago, Yuni said:

My 8 year old 360 still works! ;3 

Believe it or not, I do have a rabbit's foot.

:lol:

Wow. By contrast, my family went through... I think six Xbox 360s. What happened was that the first one got the red ring of death, we took it to the store, the people at the store would say, "Okay; we'll take it back and get it fixed. Here's one that you can use while yours is being fixed" and then that one would get the red ring of death, and so on. 

Back to the main topic: Valkyria Chronicles 4. If you haven't played it yet, I highly recommend it. It's really good. 

Edited by vanguard333

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

:lol:

Wow. By contrast, my family went through... I think six Xbox 360s. What happened was that the first one got the red ring of death, we took it to the store, the people at the store would say, "Okay; we'll take it back and get it fixed. Here's one that you can use while yours is being fixed" and then that one would get the red ring of death, and so on. 

Back to the main topic: Valkyria Chronicles 4. If you haven't played it yet, I highly recommend it. It's really good. 

Already got it. Its amazing! :3

4th console gen recommendations

Shooters -

Gaiares (Mega Drive) Super Aleste (SNES), Thunder Force 3:3rd Strike (SNES)Thunder Force 4 (Mega Drive) Jungle Strike (SNES Or Mega Drive) Wild Guns (SNES)

RPGs -

Lufia 2 (SNES), Star Control 2 (3DO/open source PC freeware), Ogre Battle:March of the Black Queen(SNES), Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger(SNES), Phantasy Star 4(Mega Drive) Landstalker (Mega Drive), Shinig Force 1-2 (Mega Drive)

Strategy - 

Populus, Mega Lo Mania (SNES or Mega Drive) General Chaos (Mega Drive)

Other Notes -

There are other versions of Thunder Force on the SNES - don't play them because they have lots of slowdown.. only 3:3rd Strike was designed for the hardware.

I kept "shooter" as narrowly defined as possible, but personally I would put Run N Gun and top down shooters in there, because I can play Super Turrican and Smash TV all day.

For Strategy games... Most people seem to like Herzog Zwei and Dune 2 on Megadrive, but I appreciate them only for historic signigence… I feel like early Command and Conquers are still fun, but I feel like the Ai just lets you push it around a little too much. I'd just stick to Red Alert 2 and onwards. Herzog Zwei's modern spiritual successor (airmech strike) is kind of enough to get a feel for it although see even that as just a novelty week-month long experience personally.

I never really bought into the hype train for the many ARPGs and Zelda-lites (crusader of centy and beyond oasis come to mind).. you probably know about them already.

With regards to RPGs, I have a much more mixed feeling than most people. I don't really have much enthusiasm for SquareEnix's other games of this period, or the Qunitet RPGs, or so called hidden gems like Capcom's Breath of Fire stuff and the early "Tales of" games. Chrono Trigger is the only "conventional" RPG I really like from the time period, most of the others are  in one way or the other, outside of the box. 

Shining Force is usually considered a TRPG or SRPG, like Fire Emblem. Ogre Battle SNES is done so as well. I find it kind of a middle ground. Ogre Battle 64 in my personal opinion is not really a SRPG at all, but SNES does make unit upkeep a factor, levels the enemies in each part of the story more reasonably, (OB64 is VERY easy) and is. But I find that management and strategy are still more important out-of-battle than in-battle, you don't really need to position like in the later Tactics Ogre or any hard-defined SRPG. 

38 minutes ago, Reality said:

4th console gen recommendations

Shooters -

Gaiares (Mega Drive) Super Aleste (SNES), Thunder Force 3:3rd Strike (SNES)Thunder Force 4 (Mega Drive) Jungle Strike (SNES Or Mega Drive) Wild Guns (SNES)

RPGs -

Lufia 2 (SNES), Star Control 2 (3DO/open source PC freeware), Ogre Battle:March of the Black Queen(SNES), Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger(SNES), Phantasy Star 4(Mega Drive) Landstalker (Mega Drive), Shinig Force 1-2 (Mega Drive)

Strategy - 

Populus, Mega Lo Mania (SNES or Mega Drive) General Chaos (Mega Drive)

Other Notes -

There are other versions of Thunder Force on the SNES - don't play them because they have lots of slowdown.. only 3:3rd Strike was designed for the hardware.

I kept "shooter" as narrowly defined as possible, but personally I would put Run N Gun and top down shooters in there, because I can play Super Turrican and Smash TV all day.

For Strategy games... Most people seem to like Herzog Zwei and Dune 2 on Megadrive, but I appreciate them only for historic signigence… I feel like early Command and Conquers are still fun, but I feel like the Ai just lets you push it around a little too much. I'd just stick to Red Alert 2 and onwards. Herzog Zwei's modern spiritual successor (airmech strike) is kind of enough to get a feel for it although see even that as just a novelty week-month long experience personally.

I never really bought into the hype train for the many ARPGs and Zelda-lites (crusader of centy and beyond oasis come to mind).. you probably know about them already.

With regards to RPGs, I have a much more mixed feeling than most people. I don't really have much enthusiasm for SquareEnix's other games of this period, or the Qunitet RPGs, or so called hidden gems like Capcom's Breath of Fire stuff and the early "Tales of" games. Chrono Trigger is the only "conventional" RPG I really like from the time period, most of the others are  in one way or the other, outside of the box. 

Shining Force is usually considered a TRPG or SRPG, like Fire Emblem. Ogre Battle SNES is done so as well. I find it kind of a middle ground. Ogre Battle 64 in my personal opinion is not really a SRPG at all, but SNES does make unit upkeep a factor, levels the enemies in each part of the story more reasonably, (OB64 is VERY easy) and is. But I find that management and strategy are still more important out-of-battle than in-battle, you don't really need to position like in the later Tactics Ogre or any hard-defined SRPG. 

I forgot alot of genres in my post....

Could Red Dead and Grant Theft Auto be counted as "shooters"?  Because I'd recommend both Read Dead Redemption games and GTA's IV, V, and San Andreas.  I believe they all should be playable either on 360 or X1, but you should always favor the later gen versions of the game if you can afford them.

Some Call of Duty games might be worth playing the singleplayer campaign.  I remember that I enjoyed playing through CoD 4: Modern Warfare, World at War, CoD: Classic, and maybe Modern Warfare 2.  Though I personally have preferred Battlefield games when EA isn't mucking them up completely.

I'd also recommend the western RPGs Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas - they're like a mix between a shooter and an RPG, though they're geared more towards the latter.  You might also want to give the older Fallout games (1 and 2) a try.  They're CRPG's, but with guns and all sorts of adult themes.  Fallout 1 is actually kind of dark and scary at times, while Fallout 2 is kind of similar to New Vegas's more silly elements.  Fallout 4 might be worth a try as well, though I recommend getting mods for it because otherwise you'll likely be forced to do a lot of annoying micromanaging with the settlements (apparently you're the only one capable of self-care in the post-apocalypse); I was fine with that stuff, but many others complained a lot about the settlement system.  Don't expect quite the same game from Fallout 4 as you would from the previous games, either, because it's quite a bit different.

XCOM is a fun tactics game where you have to build an army to kill hostile aliens.  I mean, that game could get brutal and have some... squeamish moments in it (more in the violence and nasty gore kind of way), but if you can stomach that stuff then it's pretty fun.  I've only ever played Enemy Unknown/Within, but you don't need to play the previous games to play that one.

Also, the 360 has backwards compatibility, doesn't it?  If so, you should play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel.  Both games kind of work off a modified version of DnD 4e (or was it 3e?) where all the rolls are automated and everything happens at a rapid pace - 6 seconds of in-game combat actually lasts 6 seconds in real-time unless you pause.  And even it shouldn't matter if you're into Star Wars, it's still a great RPG.

Speaking of Bioware games, Mass Effect - specifically the main three numbered games - is a great RPG franchise.  Definitely recommend you play all of them.  ME1 will be slow and clunky on the gameplay side, but the story's great and builds up to ME2, which is probably the best in the franchise.  ME3 is good as well, though it originally had an utterly terrible ending that was later improved into a simply okay ending with the Extended Cut (strongly recommend getting that before playing it, the original ending is not worth it).  I've never played Andromeda, but I hear it's something of a far cry from what the original trilogy was.

If you've played all of these games, then congrats on having the same taste as me.  And yes, all of the games I listed take place in settings that have guns, and they were all western-developed.  I've hardly played any Japanese shooters, RPGs, or strategy games outside of FE and VC, so many of the games that other people list on this site are complete unknowns to me because of this.