Tales Of Vesperia Definitive Edition

MisterIceTeaPeach

For which console will you get Vesperia?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which version will you buy?

• PC (Steam)
    • PS4
    • Switch
    • XBOXone
  2. 2. Have you played the original version?

• Yes, XBOX360
    • Yes, PS3
    • No

I was curious if anyone had any tips on stringing long combos together. They enemy always seems to just break out after around 12 hits or so with a

counter attack and i'm not sure if I am just inputting to slow or if bosses can't be combed at all. I went up against Yuri in the coliseum and he just kept

his combos going without pause, Not even in over limit, and I was wondering if there was a way to do that or if it's enemies only.

I have the super chain abilities but even then I can't seem to keep moves in synch and they just fall out of reach. If there is a simple solution,

It would be nice to know what i'm doing wrong here.

Edited by lightcosmo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one here who feels that enemies, or at least normal enemies, love to gang up on whoever you're controlling?? Because it sure feels that way to me; while on occasion they may attack someone else, most of the time I'm running because the enemies have it in for me for whatever reason; if I try to attack an enemy, I just get smacked by something else. This is an especially big pain in the ass if I'm controlling Rita or Estelle.

Edited by Shadow Mir

On ‎21‎.‎01‎.‎2019 at 11:23 PM, Shadow Mir said:

Am I the only one here who feels that enemies, or at least normal enemies, love to gang up on whoever you're controlling?? Because it sure feels that way to me; while on occasion they may attack someone else, most of the time I'm running because the enemies have it in for me for whatever reason; if I try to attack an enemy, I just get smacked by something else. This is an especially big pain in the ass if I'm controlling Rita or Estelle.

From what I have played so far it is 50-50. The enemies usually split up and go for close combat units but also casters. But I haven't really seen all the enemies prioritizing one single unit. 

4 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

From what I have played so far it is 50-50. The enemies usually split up and go for close combat units but also casters. But I haven't really seen all the enemies prioritizing one single unit. 

I dunno. I've had a rough time of it on Desier because enemies oft gang up on me when I control Yuri. 

On an unrelated note, the window of opportunity to get the Mother's Memento is wider than I first thought. I ended up getting it after returning to Mantaic from Yormgen. Also, fighting Firebats sucks because they're way higher than they should be - and hitting them doesn't ground them for some reason. I hope they fix this.

Edited by Shadow Mir

From what I noticed about the enemies, is that they tend to go for a target until an attack connects, and then they finally switch to a different target. I could be way

wrong about this though. That's just from my experience.  I can agree on hitting aerial enemies. If anything it's annoying to try and cast spells with absurd

charge time and get knocked out of it, only to finally get if off for like, 1,000 damage or so?

Agreed, flying enemies are incredibly hard to hit with the awkward camera angle in this game. It is actually the only enemy type Judith can shine besides of casters of course. I think the main reason, why I prefer casters than in other parts is, that they are not affected by the camera angle can hit things way easier than physical units. Rita is busted anyways once she got get her tome in Aspio. 

Edited by Necrofantasia

On 1/16/2019 at 12:25 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

If Graces counts by "latest", I consider it kinda bad. Asbel is typical, Sophie is lolicon pandering with a dose of amnesiac mystery girl powers, Cheria is not needed, Pascal has brains but is a bit too quirky for some, Malik's only purpose is to be the adult of the group, and Hubert alone is anything of a real good character to me. Richard worked, but he has that one issue. Never finished the game and saw how the F arc utilizes them, but it for the bulk of the main game (I was probably like 80%-90% through the main plot), the characters are underbaked.

I know I'm late to the party but while I do agree that the Grace's cast was lame in the main story, the F arc played way into the game's light tone and as a result you get some of the best character synergy in any Tales game. King Richard fruit snacks are the stuff of legends.

10 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

From what I noticed about the enemies, is that they tend to go for a target until an attack connects, and then they finally switch to a different target. I could be way

wrong about this though. That's just from my experience.  I can agree on hitting aerial enemies. If anything it's annoying to try and cast spells with absurd

charge time and get knocked out of it, only to finally get if off for like, 1,000 damage or so?

If that was the case, I would be okay with that, but the issue is that I think Gang Up on the Human is in full effect here. Their changing target if they hit doesn't help much when if I get hit by one, more hits are most likely on the way, and thus it's likely that whoever I'm controlling goes from full HP to dead or almost dead in the blink of an eye.

7 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

Agreed, flying enemies are incredibly hard to hit with the awkward camera angle in this game. It is actually the only enemy type Judith can shine besides of casters of course. I think the main reason, why I prefer casters than in other parts is, that they are not affected by the camera angle can hit things way easier than physical units. Rita is busted anyways once she got get her tome in Aspio. 

For the most part, aerial enemies are not that bad imo, other than the Leader Bat, which has a reason to be flying as high as it does (of course, I'm more concerned about the other bats, what with the Splash spam and Charm inflicting). Most every other aerial enemy flies low enough to hit with physical attacks (at least from characters other than Repede and maybe Karol), but the Firebats in Kogorh fly higher than others for whatever reason. And as if that weren't bad enough, their attacks ignore the fact they're higher than they should be.

Edited by Shadow Mir

55 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

If that was the case, I would be okay with that, but the issue is that I think Gang Up on the Human is in full effect here. Their changing target if they hit doesn't help much when if I get hit by one, more hits are most likely on the way, and thus it's likely that whoever I'm controlling goes from full HP to dead or almost dead in the blink of an eye.

And this happens when you specifically control just Yuri? I'm curious because I play with another person and they controlled Yuri and the same thing seemed to

happen to them. Also, what is Karol supposed to be useful for? His attacks are slow, he has hardly and range on attacks, and he moves really slow.

I guess he can heal in a pinch, which is nice, and he has the ability to prevent back attacks, but other than that, he's pretty much in my way most the time.

Edited by lightcosmo

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

And this happens when you specifically control just Yuri? I'm curious because I play with another person and they controlled Yuri and the same thing seemed to

happen to them. Also, what is Karol supposed to be useful for? His attacks are slow, he has hardly and range on attacks, and he moves really slow.

I guess he can heal in a pinch, which is nice, and he has the ability to prevent back attacks, but other than that, he's pretty much in my way most the time.

For the most part, yeah, but even other characters aren't safe. It's even worse if you're controlling a slower character, Estelle or Rita. And it gets even worse than that if you have mages among the enemy, especially when they can heal (like in Egothor Forest). As for Karol... I dunno, really. I mostly don't use him unless it's either forced or I need to use him for something (like the secret mission in the fourth Zagi fight).

Edited by Shadow Mir

10 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

For the most part, yeah, but even other characters aren't safe. It's even worse if you're controlling a slower character, Estelle or Rita. And it gets even worse than that if you have mages among the enemy, especially when they can heal (like in Egothor Forest). As for Karol... I dunno, really. I mostly don't use him unless it's either forced or I need to use him for something (like the secret mission in the fourth Zagi fight).

Well it might be different for me because of two players, As for mages, I agree, getting your own spells off seems way to difficult for the sad amount of damage you get from it.

Also, is it me or do the enemies spells, even ones like first aid, go off faster for them? Getting stuck into certain combos can be really frustrating, for sure. Like I mentioned before,

the infinite Yuri had me in was kind of absurd. No way to escape, and the damage output was crazy. Poor Karol, I have him in basically for the ability to not reorganize your party when

attacked from behind. I think his gimmick for fighting is neat, he's just not strong enough, sadly...

3 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

Even in my second attempt I still have not figured out how to use mystic artes. Most of the characters learned their special, but when using overlimit 3 and holding arte button nothing triggers. 

I guess I will beat in the hard way as I did with the PS3 version.

Do you have the "Special" ability equipped? and if so, I believe you have to connect with an altered arte or arcane art before activating them. Also, isn't the arte button used for burst artes? I know it's silly to ask, but I actually forget to equip it more often than not.

Edited by lightcosmo

8 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

Even in my second attempt I still have not figured out how to use mystic artes. Most of the characters learned their special, but when using overlimit 3 and holding arte button nothing triggers. 

I guess I will beat in the hard way as I did with the PS3 version.

You have to hold the attack button when hitting with an arcane or burst arte to trigger mystic rates. The arte button triggers burst artes instead. In the case of mages, they have to cast an advanced level spell (I think).

14 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

It's actually kind of annoying that you have to have an arte connect. I mean, your opponent doesn't, and their mystic arte almost always kills you in one hit if not close. 

I agree. On that note, the cheating computers did with mystic artes wasn't addressed until what, Graces or Xillia? It's especially bullshit if they go into their mystic arte right upon going into Over Limit.

9 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I agree. On that note, the cheating computers did with mystic artes wasn't addressed until what, Graces or Xillia? It's especially bullshit if they go into their mystic arte right upon going into Over Limit.

I'm honestly a little conflicted about it. On one hand, I enjoy seeing their mystic artes, on the other, I don't really appreciate when it forces a game over. I have just did grade farming and I really hope I never have to go through it again... that was just awful. New game plus is going to be a walk in the park, I guess.

19 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Do you have the "Special" ability equipped? and if so, I believe you have to connect with an altered arte or arcane art before activating them. Also, isn't the arte button used for burst artes? I know it's silly to ask, but I actually forget to equip it more often than not.

12 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

You have to hold the attack button when hitting with an arcane or burst arte to trigger mystic rates. The arte button triggers burst artes instead. In the case of mages, they have to cast an advanced level spell (I think).

Thanks, I got it finally!

My main problem was that I did not know that the sword arte icon with the square around stands for an arcane arte. 

1 hour ago, Necrofantasia said:

Thanks, I got it finally!

My main problem was that I did not know that the sword arte icon with the square around stands for an arcane arte. 

Glad you figured it out! I believe it says what type of arte somewhere as well? Also, you can chain a burst arte into a mystic arte, which can be pretty handy.

On 1/26/2019 at 8:46 AM, lightcosmo said:

Well it might be different for me because of two players, As for mages, I agree, getting your own spells off seems way to difficult for the sad amount of damage you get from it.
Also, is it me or do the enemies spells, even ones like first aid, go off faster for them? Getting stuck into certain combos can be really frustrating, for sure. Like I mentioned before,
the infinite Yuri had me in was kind of absurd. No way to escape, and the damage output was crazy. Poor Karol, I have him in basically for the ability to not reorganize your party when
attacked from behind. I think his gimmick for fighting is neat, he's just not strong enough, sadly...

Maybe. Anyway, I never really saw problems with mages' damage output, but that might be because Rita's one of my more used characters. And it does seem like enemy spells go off faster  (at least for spells ranked above novice). Regarding Karol, I think the best thing about him might be the thing about stopping surprise encounters. For what it's worth, he gets his mystic arte before anyone else, too. While he can heal, he's just not effective at it for most of the game - Nice Aid Smash doesn't heal nearly enough (only about 16%, which one or two unblocked enemy attacks could knock off on Hard mode), and it's rather expensive TP wise, too; the tiny area of effect doesn't help much, since if I'm running around trying to not get killed, chances are I could just wind up running out of the area of effect. The altered artes derived from it are better, except you can't access them until near the end of act 2 (the weapon with the skills to alter it is in Zaude, and a Giganto Monster is also blocking said weapon, among other stuff). Simply put, you're better off using Estelle and/or Flynn for healing.

Edited by Shadow Mir

9 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Maybe. Anyway, I never really saw problems with mages' damage output, but that might be because Rita's one of my more used characters. And it does seem like enemy spells go off faster  (at least for spells ranked above novice). Regarding Karol, I think the best thing about him might be the thing about stopping surprise encounters. For what it's worth, he gets his mystic arte before anyone else, too. While he can heal, he's just not effective at it for most of the game - Nice Aid Smash doesn't heal nearly enough (only about 16%, which one or two unblocked enemy attacks could knock off on Hard mode), and it's rather expensive TP wise, too; the tiny area of effect doesn't help much, since if I'm running around trying to not get killed, chances are I could just wind up running out of the area of effect. The altered artes derived from it are better, except you can't access them until near the end of act 2 (the weapon with the skills to alter it is in Zaude, and a Giganto Monster is also blocking said weapon, among other stuff). Simply put, you're better off using Estelle and/or Flynn for healing.

Hmmm, i'm not sure, I notice around 2,000- 3,000 per hit or so? And a long string combo from Yuri can do around 5,000 easily, without artes. But i'm around level 70. so maybe i'm just doing something wrong, wouldn't be the first time. Regardless, Karol is still in my party, stopping surprise encounters like he always does. I'm not even sure what his mystic arte is, I have only seen Yuri, Flynn, and both of Estelle's. Yeah, I don't think I ever took Estelle out of the party unless it was forced, obviously. Flynn's ability to make spells cast faster is so nice to have, S spell area, I think? It makes moves like regenerate, that take too long, go off in no time, which is nice for comeback revives. Attack spells as well, it just makes them really deadly for combo, holding. 

I can't say I really had a tough time throughout the game, my playthrough was pretty smooth, except the coliseum fighting Belius, I kind of got reckless cause I haven't really struggled before that point. Even on hard mode, the games not that bad, it's just more about being a little more careful than normal, really. And the extra grade is really appreciated!

On 1/25/2019 at 10:33 PM, eclipse said:

Wait, it's out already?!

Man, I really need to get my head out of the sand.  I've been waiting for this!

I thought you had it by now. Anyway, if you're open to tips, I have some:

• Keep your old weapons. You will often need your old weapons to synthesize new ones. 
  • Always check out the shops.
  • Get all the weapons. Skills are mostly attached to weapons, and using the weapon enough will allow you to use the skill without the need for the weapon.
  • Speaking of, upgraded versions of weapons won't always have the same skills as the base weapon, so before you upgrade, make sure you learned skills that won't transfer.
  • Some weapons have multiple synths.
  • Later in the game, the area around Zaphias is best for farming LP, since the enemies are easy kills. If you can get an encounter link, all the better.
  • A guide is a must if you're a completionist (or if you're trying to get platinum) - various stuff, including one character's best non-fell arm weapon, requires doing sidequests.
  • Abuse Repede's Thievery. Some enemies have good steals. Like the Sorceresses in the area around Capua Nor and Capua Torim, for example (they hold Lemon Gels). This also ties in to my completionist point - two of Estelle's weapons must be stolen from bosses. (Technically, you only need one of the weapons in question, but since you need Repede to steal them, you might as well grab both)
  • If an enemy goes into Over Limit, RUN. Aside from not being staggerable, they can continuously attack, and their spells have no casting time.

Is it just me or do the characters have a different speed in leveling skill weapon experience?

Rita learns her skill the slowest for some reason. She has a half dozen of weapons she has not learned their skills.

Maybe they have a skill which quickens / slowers their skill experience (I did not note).

Yeah, one issue about Vesperia is that a guide is required in the full content version at least, especially to have access to the PS3 exclusive dungeon and to unlock the "true" final boss.

Edited by Necrofantasia

26 minutes ago, Necrofantasia said:

Is it just me or do the characters have a different speed in leveling skill weapon experience?

Rita learns her skill the slowest for some reason. She has a half dozen of weapons she has not learned their skills.

Maybe they have a skill which quickens / slowers their skill experience (I did not note).

Yeah, one issue about Vesperia is that a guide is required in the full content version at least, especially to have access to the PS3 exclusive dungeon and to unlock the "true" final boss.

I dunno. One of the Happiness skills grants a chance to increase LP earned after battle, but it's expensive, and I dunno the rate of increase. On top of that, I don't even think the game notifies you if it worked. 

No mention of the Labyrinth of Memories? That requires you to visit an area that you have no reason to go back to, and the window of opportunity is rather narrow. Then you have to beat the game.