Who's The First Gen Favorite?

GlitchWarrior

Exactly what it says in the title. Not counting Team Spotpass [Gangrel, Aversa, etc. and the Einherjar], Robin or Chrom, who overall out of Generation 1 is your favorite? And not for baby making- I want pure, statistical and personality-wise reasons to use each character. Personally I can't possibly see any future where I don't use Kellam. I don't care if he's a high- or low- tier unit, he's quite a tank and makes a pretty strong General, too.

Oh, and you're not allowed to pick Flavia and Basilio only for "joining late with high stats." That's cheating.

Say'ri, despite the Valm arc being entirely stupid and unneeded, her being the way she is, at least made it nice for me even if nothing else is particularly interesting, she's nice, stern and a decent unit. 

I also really like her design, although there is absolutely no reason why she should stay with Chrom and co after said arc.... but eh.

Frederick Frederick Frederick and more Frederick <3 I'm completely in love with him! If that wasn't already obvious. lol

I'm not really fond of the Awakening cast in general, but Freddy just came out and stole my heart with how he was written and with how much he cracks me up sometimes. <3 He's a bit cold, very wary, and very serious and composed on the outside, but he has a big soft side too, and his A support with Henry shows that he can get very emotional to the point where he cries tears of joy and gives someone a big hug. That is so adorable!

I think he's absolutely amazing in not just his personality though, but also his skills and abilities. People praise Cordelia, but Frederick appears to have a lot of talents of his own too! He's a very good swimmer, launderer, tea connoisseur, knitter, campfire builder, and he's probably great at cooking and cleaning too. And this is on top of him obviously having mastered multiple weapons, horseback combat, and more. He exercises constantly and has a body of basically pure rock-hard muscle. He also shows a great amount of intelligence and can even invent stuff! See his conversation with Jakob in the Before Awakening DLC from Fates for that one.

Yet, nobody really praises him or compliments him much, and he takes it really well and just keeps on doing what he enjoys. I kinda see a bit of myself in him too. Not a whole lot, but I can say I relate to his fear of being a disappointment to Chrom and them. If you see his summer scramble convo with Libra, he's terrified that Chrom and Lissa are starting to hate him, poor guy. This shows that he has some insecurities too, and I certainly do.

Of course, his antics are super amusing too, I'm sure a lot of people laughed at the naked Chrom posters, his embarrassing Olivia, and the bear meat stuff with Robin. lmao Also, "Freddy Bear" is the most adorable nickname ever and you will see me calling him that sometimes too and having my Robin continue to call him that in my fics since she marries him. :P

Oh, I also find him to be really hot too, especially in his summer wear! Those rippling abs are just gorgeous. Freddy basically has it all for me, the personality AND the looks!

Lastly, I have to mention one more little thing: PICK A GOD AND PRAY.

If you want to know more about why I see so much cleverness and amazingness in Freddy's writing, see my study on him here or here. :)

EDIT: Oh, if you want combat reasons, I can give you some of that too. Cavalier knights are one of my favorite classes in the series, and I dig Great Knights too. Freddy also has good growths for an early prepromote. His base stats aren't too special, but if you put work into him, he can be really good. I find he's particularly good in the DLC Dread Fighter class. It gives him what he needs most in Res and Spd while not hurting his other stats much at all. And he'll start gaining levels faster too. As soon as I reclassed him, he leveled up like crazy. He's a good father gameplay-wise too since he can pass down Luna and wyvern tree skills.

Edited by Anacybele

I think i'll have to name Gregor as my favourite gen 1 character. He is one of the more funny characters in the game and that does make Gregor very likeable, but the reason I like him is that he's more then just a funny guy. A lot of Awakening characters loudly shout everything about themselves in their introduction so the things you learn about them after that are kind of limited. Gregor meanwhile has several supports where he does reveal things about himself that you probably did't guess beforehand. Also he gets plus points for being one of the very few Awakening characters who isn't young and pretty.

Virion and Maribelle are also two characters I enjoyed for different reasons, but I think Gregor still claims the number 1 spot.

I'd go for Frederick and Henry. Frederick is an amusing case where he seems one of the few characters without a gimmick before revealing himself to be one of the more silly characters while still making him work as a fairly competent Knight. His personality makes him a very multifaceted character. He can be the grumpy, distrustful and devoted knight in the main plot while him not knowing when to dial these traits down outside of the plot makes him able to be both serious and wacky at the same time without either seeming out of place. 

And Henry is just very amusing. A lot of the things he says brings a chuckle out of me. Henry does a very good job at making his initial reprehensible gimmick be both funny and not as bad as expected. He's not evil but just weird and he generally does the moral thing when someone takes the effort to explain it to him. It makes him more endearing since he's just a big kid while also assuring the player that Henry really isn't an insane serial killer like a certain other character. 

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'd go for Frederick and Henry. Frederick is an amusing case where he seems one of the few characters without a gimmick before revealing himself to be one of the more silly characters while still making him work as a fairly competent Knight. His personality makes him a very multifaceted character. He can be the grumpy, distrustful and devoted knight in the main plot while him not knowing when to dial these traits down outside of the plot makes him able to be both serious and wacky at the same time without either seeming out of place. 

Another fan, yayz! And you basically summed up Freddy for me without writing basically an essay like I did. lol I tried to keep it shorter, but I failed. XD

4 hours ago, Thane said:

You can't go wrong with Tiki, honestly. Wise and kind, yet lonely and tragic, although sometimes she lets a more humorous side shine through. 

While my favorite 1st gen is Stahl, Tiki is probably one of the better characters, if not the best, in Awakening in terms of personality. A shame she is rather irrelevant to the main story, as are most characters in FE, to be honest. I agree with everything Thane said here and I would also like to add that, yes she has a humorous side yet unlike most other characters it doesn't define her, it feels a lot more natural.

On a slightly related note, was Tiki's threat to eat Anna a bluff or was she dead serious? There was absolutely nothing to imply that she was joking and it's probably the only support in Awakening where I took the threat seriously. I always imagine Tiki was filled with righteous fury at Anna's inhumane treatment of everyone in that situation. Seriously, if it wasn't Anna who did it, we'd be facing a villain in act 1 doing the same exact thing.

Charm wise I would say either Donnel or Gregor, both characters make me laugh and smile with their antics and both are pretty decent characters (even if Dony is somewhat shallow).

Mechanicaly I have to say Chrom, having an unbrokable sword makes me use him a lot, and that gives him levels which make him stronger repeat ad infinitum and Anna because being a thief, healer and being able to fight is pretty awesome.

Character wise I have to go with Tiki because first Shadow Dragon flashbacks, second because all her interactions and how can she be both extremly "¿jaded?" (I mean like she has seen the world over thousands of years and I don't know the exact word for it) and somehow having child-like innocence.

And design wise I have to go with Tiki because... you know why! Stop starring at me like that! Also Donnel because he is the only olayable character smarth enough to use a helmet... even if it is a pan...

5 hours ago, Slyfox said:

While my favorite 1st gen is Stahl, Tiki is probably one of the better characters, if not the best, in Awakening in terms of personality. A shame she is rather irrelevant to the main story, as are most characters in FE, to be honest. I agree with everything Thane said here and I would also like to add that, yes she has a humorous side yet unlike most other characters it doesn't define her, it feels a lot more natural.

On a slightly related note, was Tiki's threat to eat Anna a bluff or was she dead serious? There was absolutely nothing to imply that she was joking and it's probably the only support in Awakening where I took the threat seriously. I always imagine Tiki was filled with righteous fury at Anna's inhumane treatment of everyone in that situation. Seriously, if it wasn't Anna who did it, we'd be facing a villain in act 1 doing the same exact thing.

In my honest opinion, both at the same time, she is furious and she wants to Anna to be less uncaring but I can't see her going that far.

But to be far as much as I like the Anna archetype (I don't know if I should call it like this but roll with me on this one) I think that exchange is going a bit to far, Anna and her sisters like money exploting someone like that is too much (don't get me wrong they play with a jovial tone but even like that they overdid it a little, not enough to be gamebreaking but enough to make feel someone bad) In the end everything ends in a happy ending for the exploited one so it balances out (but as I said was close enough).

Been going through another lunatic playthrough recently and after reading more of his supports Gregor is really starting to grow on me. He’s just so lovable and has that charming “wise old man” archeatype going on for him. I dunno I just really like gregor.

Team Stahl!

Anyone?

I love Stahl due to lots of things, mostly due to how laid back and chill he is. 

I like forming the farm boy triangle of Kellam, Stahl, and Donnel, as they are all characters I use. 

I appreciate how normal he is compared to everyone else in that game.

Oh, and I like his design

I like Stahl, I'd say he's my second fav after Frederick. He doesn't have a real gimmick at all, and he's nice and chill. :) Plus, I tend to have a thing for cavalier knights, as I said.

Say'ri is awesome, and honestly I love Virion a whole lot. Vaike is pretty nice too, I love bro characters in video games so as soon as I booted up Awakening my first run and saw Vaike he was my favorite. I enjoy Say'ri the most now, but Vaike still has a special place in my heart.

It's taken a bit, but I've warmed up to Robin as a character.  I don't know, I just jumped on the avatar hate bandwagon, but I guess having later seen how bad avatars actually can be with Kris and then later Corrin, I realized Robin is hardly a bad character.  Of all the avatars, he/she pulls off the "anyone's friend" thing best - Robin's interactions with most other characters typically seem to naturally form into friendships.  And honestly, that makes it easier to insert my own personality into him/her than Corrin's constant ignorant nice guy act or Kris's incessant Marth worship.

As a unit, Frederick is by and far the most useful for his contributions in the beginning of the story.  Most units can wind up doing fairly well if you build them up, but Fred is like the backbone of the army from which everything starts, and that's what really makes him stand out among the sea of decent-to-pretty-good units in this game.

Also nice to see Tiki grown up.  Even if that experience was a bit diluted for me since I didn't play Marth's games until a bit of time after I played Awakening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...